Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inoic not able to keep Bluetooth Connection

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My new Ionic is having trouble maintaining Bluetooth Connection with my iPhone to the point where the Dashboard is unable to update. It will connect for 1-2 seconds, then disconnect. Help!!

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

@BillyK1964 I hope you're doing well! Have you tried performing a restart already? This should help you out.

Also, are you having trouble syncing your Ionic? If you are, try these syncing troubleshooting steps. That should also help you out! 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issues here with my ionic and iPhone. I’ve done all the troubleshooting prescribed on the site. Resets, factory resets removing and adding devices. Within a day the problem will persist. Connection begins for 1-2 seconds and disconnects. I am also experiencing headphones disconnecting as well.  Possible Blutooth hardware issue? Please advise. 

Best Answer

I’m having the exact same problem.  It goes from connected to not connected on the Bluetooth every couple seconds.  It will put my steps in but never stays connected long no enough to sync anything else.  I hope it gets fixed soon.  Very frustrating. 

Best Answer

Hi, thanks for the advice; restarting the device didn't help, however turning it off then turning on did help. So far the Ionic has maintained Bluetooth connection with my iPhone for 10 minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is this something that is being worked out? Even if it works for 10 minutes I still am unable to use the apps and download my music. Also, I look forward to challenges with my friends and if it’s a constant issue to sync then what’s the point. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Tried it.  Still not syncing.  It keeps trying to connect but never stays connected long enough to sync. 

Best Answer

Same here still. I did another factory resets and installed updates again. It synced the first time and then nothing. Also while installing update via Blutooth it lost connections multiple times. This to me indicates a failure of Blutooth hardware which is nothing Fitbit can really fix. Return or exchange is probably needed unless someone from fitbit can provide a real fix.  I also imagine the forums would be filled with this complaint if it was common.  Odds are we just have defective products. 

Best Answer
So this is strange. I reconnected my charge 2 without removing the ionic and the charge 2 synced instantly. Here’s the crazy part. My ionic synced through my charge 2, I’m assuming because it’s on the same account. So I wore the ionic, then put the charge 2 on only when I want to sync and it syncs everything, even the swim time, which Charge 2 does not have. So I guess that’s my way of getting around it until they fix the issue. So if you have an old Fitbit reconnect it and use it only for syncing your ionic. 🤪😊😉

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Very strange. After reading about fitbits more this is starting to make sense. Do you guys have aging phones at all? (I have an iPhone 5s). I have read that new fitbits will connect more poorly with older phones due to low energy bluetooth connections (i had a blaze work fine on my phone so I am not sure if the ionic did something different). After weeks of connections issues and resets I have gone one whole day with great bluetooth connections and syncs immediately on the first time every time. Here is the only thing I did differently.

1. I went through the process of making the ionic control music playing through my phone speakers.

2.I went into the "settings" gear and selected "bluetooth classic" and turned it "on".

3. I then selected the output for my iPhone in the music settings.

I think this may in some way it pairs more strongly?? Not sure if Im just grasping at straws through much frustration but if anyway is having the issues we described please try this out and let me know if it worked for you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No luck. I spent 3 hours on Fitbit help today talking with a customer representative. We did factory reset, updated, etc. it worked great for a few hours then right back to the same thing. I have a new iPhone 8 so that shouldn’t be the issue. It’s just so unpredictable in syncing. I think I’m going to just return it and reactivate my charge 2 and wait for them to fix the bugs on the Fitbit. 😞

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok. Bluetooth was by connect again. Out of ideas and support has not helped correct the issue. For $300 I can get an Apple Watch which WILL connect to my iPhone. Not sure why anyone just can’t acknowledge an issue or offer a replacement, fix or something. Return I happening for me also now. Too bad. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same problem. Purchased Ionic 2 day’s ago but it will not stay connected to my iPhone 6s. Continually dropping out. I can watch it on my iPhone connecting then disconnecting every 2-3 seconds. Not sure what to do apart from sending it back. 

Best Answer

For me the turn off/turn on option has still worked. I have an iPhone 6S and it has maintained Bluetooth at least consistently enough to update.

Best Answer
0 Votes
After over 3 hours on support chat doing everything to try and resolve the problem it still would not stay connected long enough to sync. I finally decided to send it back. 😞 I have to say their customer service is pretty awesome. They really tried to get it fixed. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I did the same thing. Returning it and bought an Apple Watch yesterday. Love it so far. Super easy to use and no connection problems at all. Hopefully Fitbit can resolve the issue with the ionic.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Im starting to have this problem 6 months after purchasing the ionic. did you guys find a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

nvm finally read the last post 😕 I might join the apple watch team also

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned and got a replacement.  No connections issues after that. The biggest problem I have is I need to wear it on my right wrist when I run to stop the Bluetooth headphones from cuffing out. Fitbit has too many problems to sort out. The ionic has served its purpose but not without much unnecessary troubleshooting. Apple will be my next purchase also. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue.. Worked okay when I first got it but now that it is almost a year old doesn't work.  Can't update .  Getting very frustrated.  

Best Answer
0 Votes