Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

I updated this morning and it only took about 20 minutes. I am surprised to see that my weather app is now working for the first time in over a month! I can only hope this has something to do with the new update and it is not just a one day thing.  I love my Ionic and have even talked family members into purchasing the product after seeing mine, however the crashing weather app has been a real disapointment to me. I have my fingers crossed that this new update has fixed the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ha agreed they gave me the same message but I have a mac so let me update through that.  The poor software will then force you onto bluetooth and for a firmware update that is several hours.  They obviously don't have the developers to write correct code 

Best Answer

Now I really ran into trouble : 

Update my Ionic a few days ago, today I updated the Android app that asked me to update the watch firmware... I did not pay much attention, did not check the forums to see if indeed a new firmware was release and did the update via Wi-Fi... unfortunately it failed leaving my watch stuck at the gray Fitbit logo... I've waited for 20 minutes then restarted the watch... after the restart I reset the watch to defaults. On the pairing process the app wants to update the firmware again, it starts but the app failes ask be to retry but strangely the watch continues and updates the firmware successfully... At this point I clear cache, uninstall the app, reinstall the app, log in the app, all is well BUT the app still wants to update the watch firmware... AGAIN. I let the app update the watch, again. Everything is successful BUT when I launched the app... the app wants to update the watch... A G A I N. 

Looks like I did draw the biggest lottery bug in existence !

And I am afraid that it calls for a support ticket...

Best Answer

@Cheri58wrote:

I updated this morning and it only took about 20 minutes. I am surprised to see that my weather app is now working for the first time in over a month! I can only hope this has something to do with the new update and it is not just a one day thing.  I love my Ionic and have even talked family members into purchasing the product after seeing mine, however the crashing weather app has been a real disapointment to me. I have my fingers crossed that this new update has fixed the problem.

The weather app is terrible: always needs to sync to the app to update, which defeats the point as I might as well just use my phone to check and it's useless to me because I use miles to measure distance, which means my temperature unit is automatically set to Fahrenheit, which means nothing to me as I use Celsius. Stupid.

Best Answer

Cheri58, if you continue to have trouble with your Weather app, uninstall it and go to the App Gallery and reinstall it.  If, by chance, you are not allowed to uninstall it, try reinstalling it anyway.

You also might try a Restart.

Best Answer

I saw the update available this morning, but expecting problems I left it for the day and did it when I got home. 

Worked seamlessly, I don't know if the watch downloaded over wifi or through the phone, I did notice afterwards that my phone had wifi turned off so I may have used some data. 

I didn't think to time the update but pretty sure it took 15-20 mins. 

I had had noticed before that the gps was giving me different distances for the sameness run (outside of what I'd call acceptable variation). 

Also my battery life hasn't been inconsistent, and the thing actually turned off mid run last week at 22% so I hope this has been addressed. 

I'm interested to know what's people's real world experiences of the update are, mainly concerning the gps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JbNorris Per our backend tools, it looks like your Ionic has been syncing today. Can you confirm if you've been successful with syncing?

@JbNorris @Grant74 @Mrsp2009 If you're still not getting consistent sync, I recommend giving the suggestions here a try and let me know if you get stuck at any particular step with any error messages, screenshots, etc to help provide further assistance.

@FatSkiBum Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like your notifications setting was reset after the update. Thanks again!

@mbcastle Thanks for confirming that you were able to setup your WiFi and update after some basic troubleshooting. I'm glad to hear that you're all set up for the update.

@ruriimasu Nope and we don't recommend trying to update via a non-Fitbit release. Keep me updated if you experience any issues with anything after updating.

@Royston92 See here. Now it's up to you to test it and provide us with some feedback on the changes. Hope to hear your results soon.

@Appin Thanks for confirming that you had a positive experience with completing the update. 

How did Scotland do with Curling?

@Wesvv I have a few follow-up questions for you:

• What troubleshooting have you tried already?
  • What make/model headphones are you using?
  • Is this happening with your personal uploaded music?
  • Is this happening with Pandora?

A restart of everything might help as well.

@Marek.P As @N8teGee said above, The K-Pay message you're getting is usually related to a paid clock face, and it shows up when the free trial has expired. I suggest you change the clock face by following the next steps:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap or click the Account icon (top right corner)
  2. Ionic 
  3. Clock Faces 
  4. Pick a New Clock.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, for some apps there is a Contact Developer button available on the app. I recommend using that for further assistance.

@JbNorris Have you tried any other GPS runs since that initial one? What was actually logged during that initial run?

@DConnIE Nope, that generally means backend fixes that aren't user-facing.

@SunsetRunner Thanks for sharing those facts. Have a strong internet connection is definitely a necessity for successful syncing.

@cosmo234 Glad to hear you're back on track!

@jamesvfennell @myrinh This release included the following:

"Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!"

@Polllo @jkguza21 @Mikeylito @Cyberwiz Restart instructions are listed in this help article.

@OggieHocky Good callout! I've updated the lead-in post to include that as a tip! Thanks for sharing.

@Marek.P Sorry to hear that your music was erased with the firmware update. Let me know if you're able to get your music back on your watch.

@RSPLD I recommend searching for an existing idea or creating a new one in our Feature Suggestion board and voting for it. The more votes your idea gets, the more likely it is to be considered for future release.

@stokedboss Where in the process of setting up WiFi are you getting stuck? Is your WiFi connection a strong connection

@Bekkenes "Fitbit is partnering with Deezer to bring its dynamic, personal streaming music service to Ionic users across the globe in 2018."Fitbit Press Release

@MikeGn @xsoldier2000 @Davem10 Thanks for your feedback, I will make sure to pass it along.

@edit001 Try factory resetting your Ionic and then giving it another try. Let me know how that goes.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
OK, I have done and now at least starts my Ionic again, but how can I see
that the firmware was also updated on the Ionic!
UWE

You give this Firmware 27.31.1.29 i have on Smartpfon Huawei Acende Made P7

OK Thank you !

UWE Germany
Best Answer

I agree always syncing is a hassle, but all I have had for over a month is a black screen that tells me to sync. It would never show any weather at all. I had no help from anyone. Reset many times and still nothing. Today after update is first time it showed any weather info. Fingers crossed the update helped fix it.

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit 

Restarting, Rebooting, repairing, updating

i’m using the Rolfstone Nova wireless headphones. With My own music, No pandora (only have spotify)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@edit001 Try factory resetting your Ionic and then giving it another try. Let me know how that goes.

@ErickFitbit... I did one more factory reset on the watch and on the pairing process, at the end, one of the last steps was downloading firmware... I let it run it and it updated again via Wi-Fi succesfully .... this is a bit too much to be honest. Now it's updated again on the latest and the app does not seem to bother me anymore... not that it made any sense earlier when it requested me to update the watch to FW 27.31.1.29 when on the watch on the about section it was written that it's already on the FW 27.31.1.29.

Is it normal for Android APP to want to to re-flash the watch in the pairing process after I previously performed an watch reset to defaults even if there is no new firmware for it?

Thank you !

Best Answer
0 Votes

when do we get the update that improves the apalling sync issues. After this update worse than ever.  Now when I click apps it says my phone has no internet connection (it does) so I have swapped one set of error messages for another .  Trying to get a refund just now it is driving me mad

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lauscher On the Ionic watch you can swipe to "Settings" > "About" > "Version" will tell you the current version. You can also reference this help article for what version is current.

@Cheri58 The Weather App is dependent on your mobile phone having a current sync to update the weather.

@Wesvv I recommend trying with a different pair of Bluetooth headphones to see if you continue to experience the same issue. If not, it may be that the Ionic doesn't play well with that specific brand of headphones.

@edit001 You shouldn't need to update once the update has been completed for Ionic. If that continues to occur, please let me know and I will make sure someone from our Support Team gets in contact with you.

@daveiw What mobile device are you using when attempting to sync? At what point in the syncing process are you seeing issues? Do you experience any specific error messages? Sorry to hear that this hasn't been a great experience so far but I am willing to help turn that around if you'd like some further troubleshooting. If you're already in communication with our Support Team they're best to work with for a refund request.

Best Answer

FWIW, @daveiw, I have not had any syncing problems since the firmware update to the Ionic.

Now when I click apps it says my phone has no internet connection (it does) so I have swapped one set of error messages for another . 

This would appear to be a problem with the app, not the Ionic.  Have you tried uninstalling the app, restarting the phone, then re-installing the app?

Best Answer
well thats grey but for e despite having a mac and a latest android version synchronisation is extrodinairly difficult so I cant use it
Best Answer
0 Votes

After installing update, my Ionic is only counting about 2/3rds of my steps.  Any ideas as to why this is?  It is extremely annoying!! Steps are not being counted in GPS run mode, Treadmill activity mode and just normal use.  Everything was fine until the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally managed to upgrade my Ionic by resetting it.

Help article here 

Best Answer

Thanks @ErickFitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BLISSFULLYVEXED

Mine is not counting all of my steps either.

I was asked to note how many steps are on the watch, walk 100 steps (counting them), and see how many steps were logged.  Mine was 91 out of 100 the first time and 87 out of 100 the second time.  I was told the standard is a minimum of 95% and I should send my device into fitbit to have them exchange it or exchange it at the retailer I bought it from (I bought it Friday).  I am planning to go exchange it this week assuming I get out of work early enough rather then sending it in and eventually receiving a replacement.

I would also make sure you have it set for your non-dominant wrist as it increase the sensitive slightly from what I understand.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BLISSFULLYVEXED @SunsetRunner Have you tried restarting your Ionic and then giving it another try? Let me know if that makes any difference.

@Cyberwiz You're welcome! I am always happy to assist. I'm glad that you were able to get back on track.

Best Answer