Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

Mine connects to bluthooth but fails to find any internet connectiin even if i am right beside the router. I get a nessage something like an error wgen trying to find a network setup and never goes past it yet my ipad 2 it worked without any issues. But means as i never get past wifi setup and get an error message and never see any networks i can never use it as a smart watch, so annoying

Best Answer

Also still cant connect to wifi. Hoping a fix comes soon from Fitbit......

Best Answer

Arrived on 10/5, opened, followed instructions to pair via BT. Starts to pair and attempts to download the firmware update but fails. Go back thru process this time via wifi but won't connect to a wifi area either (non 5G). Working on an Android phone for setup.

Now, I can't get it to pair on wifi or BT at all. 

Not impressed with the level of difficulty involved with getting this going. 

Best Answer

The wifi connection does feel NOT working on my Ionic, too. Eventually I have to go without setting up wifi on it and then it works fine.

I am setting it up on my Lumia 950, Windows Phone, so I am not sure if it's just that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

First time using ionic (10/01/17). I should say trying to use ionic. This may well be the last and only fitbit product I purchase. After reading all these posts with unhappy users (which I should have done before buying it) I wonder what fitbit is playing at. Why make a product that is supposed to do such great things for its users but is frustratingly hard to set up and keep working as intended? 

Best Answer

WiFi use of Ionic?

I have set up the WiFi in the Android App on my Samsung S7 for my home network, and at times seems to function, and I have been able to do updates, sync and use the SDK too.  But it has been sort of a dungeons & dragons game to get and keep connected, or reconnect and discover a repeatable sequence to do so.

I am confused on WiFi and how Ionic uses it and not Blutooth or how they 'work together', or is WiFI turned off if no files being transfered to possibly conserve power.  The file transfers so far, including a watch face from the SDK have been slow.  Like I'm using a 20k bw link. (like the good old days)  Because of the newness of the product, maybe FitBit servers are overloaded with new devices coming on line needing updates.

The only place I have found to connect the Ionic to WiFi is under Settings, Developer Bridge (DB).  Under About there is a WiFi status, and when connected shows the IP Address, when not, shows: 'Wi-Fi off'.  Selecting DB (tapping on it) it says: Connecting to Wi-Fi, then 'Connected to Server' (CS), then shortly afterwards I get 'Server connection error'.   With the response CS if I look under About, I see under label 'IP Address' the address (192.168...)  or if not connected, then 'Wi-Fi off'. 

I see repeatably, 'Connected' then server connection error a bit later.   I suspect that the 'Connected' means to my WiFi network, and the server connection error relates to not connecting to the FitBit servers and not anything local.

Because I have signed up as a developer (different OS software?) my interface  may be differnet than the stock software so the DB label doesn't appear and a Wi-Fi label is in it's place.  (just guessing)

It would be 'nice' if both Wi-Fi & Blutooth status shows in the shortcut screen (the one you get by a right swipe on the clock face screen) - it does show a download indicator when active, nice to show similar small icon for WiFi & BT if connected or not.  The Settings link should be there too, but I discovered one can move the Apps so moving Settings to either the first or second position lets one get to it with a simple press of one of the right buttons.

Side note:  I am actually surprised, even with the irritating connections issues, how much I like the overall design and presentation of the Ionic - very functional.   I would like some customizations of basic functions (lilke how long display is on, maybe by App too) and the app order sequence also brought out to the the phone app.

One of the features I look forward to is the SpO2 sensor and use in apnea feedback - this alone, will expand FitBit's audience greatly (assuming it functions reasonably well).  

Best Answer

Same here.  About to give up.  I was thinking of buying Apple Watch, and may now be forced to it.  So sad because I loved fitbit before this fiasco.

Best Answer

None of this is working for me.  I am trying to set up Ionic on iPhone 6+.  I can only get thru four digit, and it says connected, but then cannot pair to Bluetooth or wifi to continue.  I have followed all of the instructions to correct, and done that now five times.  I give up.

Best Answer

Really regretting this purchase / upgrade. This is a disaster of a process. Hours into the process and can't get the **ahem** thing to update. 

Best Answer

Hello I finally got mine to work last night on my iPhone 6s Plus.  I did what the moderator  mentioned in his hints and tips.

Best Answer

I was able to setup the ionic okay. However, it won't connect to my wireless Bluetooth headphones. I have tried both JBL and Sony. What's the deal? Will these only work with Fitbit's earbuds (which aren't even out)? If so, regretting this purchase.

Best Answer

I am in the same boat. I have had fitbit flex and blaze. I had a rough time with battery life with BOTH. Thought I'd give this a try, but it's been horrifying. I have over 30 friends that use fitbit and we enjoy challenges. I didn't want to switch to apple- but I may take that leap tomorrow!

Best Answer

I followed the steps in order to update my Ionic. But now I'm stuck - I tried the factory reset and the only thing I get now is "Data not cleared, Sync & try again". But since I removed the device from my account I can't sync it, 'cause I cant pair it again.

I've tried to restart it by pressing home button and lower right button a couple of times, but it doesn't work. And I can't sync it with my computer, I only get "unknown error".

Best Answer

I am having Massive issues with wifi, I  get a message," Not Available , This Wi-Fi network is not available, please try a different network."  The network is my personal wifi and works perfect on all my devices. I even disabled all other devices and have done the factory reset twice, switched Bluetooth off/on , removed ionic from device etc.... I managed to get updates installed using bluetooth and have the ionic syncing/working with the fitbit app BUT I can NOT put music onto the watch because it cant connect to wifi. I get the same above message. I am using the IPhone 8 but also have also tried using my iPhone 4.

My Desk top PC has No blue tooth and cant find any networks on the PC Fit Bit application to download music.

any help please, I'm thinking of returning this nightmare of a thing.

cheers

Glenn 

Best Answer

I had a troublesome installation, but not as troublesome as others have had.

First, I installed over WiFi. I'm next to the router. My computer reports 4/4 bars. The watch reported 2/4.

The installation took a long time, not sure how long. When it finished, it reported that the installation had failed that I should check my WiFi connection or move closer to the router (inside it?).

I clicked to try again, and the app displayed the normal screen indicating that everything was hunky dory and that the watch was syncing with the app.

But I couldn't get anything but the Fitbit logo on the watch face for ten minutes. I putzed around with pressing buttons and installing a new clock face. Eventually I got a clock face, but I can't be sure what did it. When installing the watch face, I never noticed the progress bar move.

I tried to restore the original clock face, but I got an error telling me to try another. Meanwhile, it reported that clock face as installed, despite not showing it on the watch. Once again, I never saw the progress bar move.

I tried manually syncing the watch from the app. It spun for several minutes. I tapped the sync button again to stop it. It stopped, but I don't know if I did that or it stopped on its own.

I installed still another clock face. This time the progress bar moved (at which point I learned that it was a progress bar), and the clock face installed.

Things seem normal now, but I haven't played with it much.

And actually, I had less trouble getting the Ionic setup than I did the Charge 2 two months ago. I was unable to setup the Charge 2 on my own and had to get chat help. So I guess that's progress!

Best Answer

I don't know if a later version of the firmware was delivered with my new Ionic, but setup completed without a hiccup. Download only took about 15 minutes, installation another 8-9 minutes and, voila! All running seemingly normally. I did notice that to change the watch face, I needed to have the Ionic plugged into the charger or WiFi simply wouldn't work. Easy enough of a work-around for now. Guess I would strongly recommend anyone having trouble keep the Ionic plugged in, whether or not it needs charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks JettleMania, I just tried your solution with it being on the charger while joining wifi , but no luck for me. Ta

Best Answer
0 Votes

Garmin does have a more mature app store, but I came here from vivoactive HR, which I liked (though not the display AT ALL) but which quite literally disintegrated in my hands--OK, that's hyperbole, but what did occur mechanically with the device was "not covered" and not fixable!

Best of luck to you. I had zero hiccups with my Android device (OnePlus 5) and home network (Eero).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bummer!!

Best Answer

Have a card from a supported bank in the U.S., tried setting it up and it tells me my card is supported and refers me to the list of supported banks.  Spent 30 minutes on phone w/ tech support and no resolution and they have to "escalate".  It looks like this is another example of Fitbit over promising and under delivering; Rolling out features before they're ready.  Very disappointing.

Best Answer