Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

Don’t know just sync to Apple and it works

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes
It was easy to set up blue tooth on the cell phone first. The computer can
be complicated depending what you have on it. I had a hard time because of
my printer on the computer.
Best Answer
0 Votes
At its worst it was a day and a half. Since last software update my ionic has been working like a charm so am very happy with it at the moment

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I am pleased. Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've literally tried every available option you have listed, I've tried the update from both my phone and my computer whilst sat practically on top of the home router and still NOTHING. To say I am frustrated, disappointed and about to loose my mind is an understatement. Using a £240 watch should not be this difficult. 

Please can anybody help me??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can I help? I'll try.

This is what worked for me. I went backwards a couple of years. We have had Fitbits for a few years--the procedure for installation has changed over the years. We have Fitbit Connect installed. Did you try Fitbit Connect? You need the dongle too, the small (about as big as a thumbnail) device "thing" that plugs into one of the USB ports in your PC. UNINSTALL the other Fitbit software called "Fitbit" in the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. You can install it later. For now, remove it so there is no conflict.

If you need the Fitbit Connect software, here it is

www.apesolutions.com/spd/FitbitConnect_Win_20151028_2.0.1.6742.exe

You need to go into your PC's settings and turn off Bluetooth. Install the Fitbit Connect software and slide the dongle into the USB port with the Ionic close (right next to the dongle....within inches! You want to absolutely certain the dongle detects just the Ionic, so move your phone far away from the dongle.

Anyway, that worked for me. Turn off Bluetooth, remove the Fitbit software, move my phone far away, put the dongle in the USB, install the Fitbit Connect software, move the Ionic right next to the dongle. In less than a minute, the Ionic is 'detected' and you can go through installation.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven’t had any luck either!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently did the full Ionic firmware upgrade. Doing this fixed the WiFi
connectivity problem.
Do a sync to Fitbit, then do a hard reset and then do a fresh setup which
will pull the new firmware.

Doing this should fix your connectivity issue, but do it at your home or
office where you spend the most time so it can connect to wifi easily in
the future.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doing a hard reset will AUTOMATICALLY cause a fresh set up to start up, or do I need to uninstall all the Fitbit software I have now on my computer?

Best Answer
0 Votes

uninstall is always clean, but your devices will detect that a new version
is available and download if necessary. if it doesnt, than do an uninstall
and then go to web site and download again, reboot your computer in between
to clear the registry. (W10)

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic is 4 hours slow.  Uninstalled and trying to reinstall.  Found Settings but there is no About or Factory Reset in the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been my experience there are at least 2 different 'resets'. So let's try this one

Press and HOLD the left and bottom right buttons together, until the Fitbit icon appears, then release.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just opened my new Fitbit ionic and I cannot set it up. I have tried to charge by the computer.. after 2 hour I only can see the logo flashing on ever so often. Tried to turn off and on, but there is no indication that it ever was off. If it is plugged in, the logo appears, if not plugged in, no logo. It does not sync.  Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Go to the gear in settings, scroll down to about
At the bottom you will find factory reset

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello All,

i recently purchased an Iconic after a bad experience with the versa. I took it out the box and had issues call completing set up with WiFi.  I decided to use Bluetooth with successful completin of setup, then I had issues with receiving notifications.  Because of my previous issues with the versa, I took a chance and called my phone’s support. I own an iPhone 8.  I was walked through the process of network reset. General-reset-reset network settings.  During this process I also restarted the device and my phone. Finally,I held down the left button for few second and the screen awake/notifications came up and I discovered my notifications were off.  I’m receiving text and phone calls now.  I hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You will need to plug into a phone charger plug, preferably a newer one
with higher voltage output like for a droid or if you have a 3amp wall usb
charger. Home Depot $23 but you will need to have it installed with the
power off at the breaker. We have 10 in our house in every room. Same as we
put into hotels.

The voltage to charge off your computer is always questionable even if
plugged into the wall.

You can also get a universal computer charger that has a USB plug for
charging at most Staples or Best Buy.

When you plug in your ionic, you will see the % level of the charge. if its
totally dead, just plug in the magnetic on the back and you should see the
% charged show up after about 10 minutes at least.

You can also buy an extra ionic charging cable just in case your's is bad
at Best Buy. If the new cable works, return the old bad cable to Best Buy
for a refund, alternately leave it in your car as a spare charger (that's
where my backup charging occurs while i drive.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Still can’t get my ionic to add to my iPhone software. Also, it now only holds a charge for a few hours then goes to 0.

Please accept it for a full refund.

Jean Jett

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried setting this thing up for 4 days and everytime it downloads to about 20 to 30 percent and then red x and continues to connect and disconnect with no further progress until eventually doing nothing. I've tried the process stated in your post on 5 devices now and at 3 different internet sources including my bluetooth.  I need this ionic to setup or I'm going to be forced to return it in order to get my money back.  This is far too expensive of a device to just be a paperweight.  Losing faith in your product.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m out, I got rid of mine and bought an Apple Watch, never again.

Regards,

Rowan Hatfield
0413 439 461
Best Answer
0 Votes
do a full reset and make sure you are connected via WiFi. Ionic likes Wifi
best
Avery Martinez
GISTEK.US Networks Inc.
760-898-9960
gistekus@gmail.com
Wi-Fi, Video Surveillance, Sonos Sound Management & Smart Technology