Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Able to Sync Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my ionic for a week tomorrow. Still have not been able to sync it properly and use it. I have talked  to the customer service team multiple times and spent hours trying to trouble shoot with them.

It takes about 2 hours to get it set up. It syncs for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. It then goes back and forth from looking and syncing but never connects.

How long do we need to wait before this gets fixed or they can give some update. I have tried all the trouble shooting including factory reset, etc. Very frustraing.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
683 REPLIES 683

Frustration is all I can say. Third FitBit and I love the watch but these syncing / Pairing issues must be addressed. 300.00 plus bands, protectors etc and my ap can’t track jack due to no sync. It does randomly or syncs partially (no active min) but at about a 11% rate and that’s generous. Tech supports just keep trying things but I can’t believe FitBit would allow this defect to still be happening when reported back in September at release. 

I want this Ionic but after another run that doesn’t sync so I can be proud of my 6 Miles is driving me crazy. 

This is not resolved. 

The company is is going to lose if they don’t address this issue with us owners. I feel cheated! You publicly stated the issue was resolved, so I bought it. SMH. Was I bamboozeled?  

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Day 2 with Exchanged fitbit and no bluetooth issues yet...set up mine on my work wifi as well as home. All day sync is just going to stay off at this point. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's that time of night in Melbourne.. nearly 9pm  and just on 2am around in California...

Again  perfect immediate syncs  on the Fitbit Connect and the Android phone..

So my conspiracy theory comes in again.. Why am I having multiple successes in Syncing late at night  and 12 hours later it's hopeless.  No moderator has commented on my other posts about syncing and servers

The Fitbit.com PC Dashboard always works as does the internet Dashboard on my phone when this occurs..

When I tracert Fitbit.com it comes up with Cloudflare as part of its IP address and as one would expect to balance loads etc Fitbit are using these multiple servers of which there are 119 around the world..

So maybe my findings mean Australian are going to sleep  etc...

I love my Ionic and can persevere...

tracert 9jan18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this... but all good news here today..

This morning, turned on the phone, opened the app and within 2 minutes I had a perfect sync...

In summary over the last few days... Perfect syncing at night Australian time and intermittent success and failure when I wake up..

I just noticed 3 minutes ago it did an Auto sync via Fitbit Connect and I just activated Fitbit Connect and it did another sync. And now I'm really keen... I just synced within 30 seconds on the phone..

All of this doesn't point to Ionic Hardware or Android issues...  Same environment, same PC and no changes to firmware or software, no patches from Microsoft., same signals darting around my home. Phone is close to the dongle..... The phone is on the 4G+ network full strength and no WiFi.

As I have said in a few posts now when I have a successful sync on the phone I immediately create a sleeping period HR activity to analyze my sleep and that is on the server before I have time to open my browser..

This is surreal today, back to the first few weeks of owning the Ionic.. Syncing every time I open the App we are synced...... I always have "Always Connected" set.. shades of my earlier Fitbit days..

What has changed !!!!!!! Not me or the environment around me.....even my multi Fitbits on the account  have synced.....

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Wish I had your luck!! Maybe soon in the USA!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wish I had your luck!! Maybe soon in the USA!! Good luck maintaining the syncing!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MShaneI don't know what has changed because I have now 2+ days of perfect interfaces with my phone and Fitbit databases....

This morning all I did was switch the phone on, opened the Fitbit App, was distracted for a couple of minutes, came back and all synced..Smiley Happy

All I can say I have done nothing different at my end.. I keep stressing same environment, no updates or restarts..

Why not try creating an activity on the phone using the little stopwatch with the +sign and tap previous, because when I do that it is on my PC Dashboard before I can open its browser.. That proves the links are working...

I have had my Ionic on charge and just entered a manual walking activity to replace the missing steps.. I'm using the computer and when I opened another tab in my browser there it was.. Faster than me opening the browser..

But the moderators still won't  respond to my earlier questions... So now I definitely want someone to explain this phenomenon....When syncing is an issue why can we I get immediate response to entering an Activity via my phone....

Maybe @WendyB can throw some light on why.

@MShane wrote:

Wish I had your luck!! Maybe soon in the USA!! Good luck maintaining the syncing!!

Best Answer

Nope I can not shed any light. I still have trouble syncing in the mornings. Generally need to go to computer.

Afternoon it syncs as soon as I open the app

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@WendyBThe brighter light is shining here.. I have my phone sitting next to me open with the App on display.. Every time I look at it it has updated, so auto Fitbit Connect is working.

It all gets confusing, especially when you can't even prompt a Moderator to give answers..

Have a great evening..

@WendyB wrote:

Nope I can not shed any light. I still have trouble syncing in the mornings. Generally need to go to computer.

Afternoon it syncs as soon as I open the app

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about you Ionic devices' syncing difficulties. I appreciate enormously to all of you who have tried some troubleshooting steps.

I would first recommend removing any additional Fitbit devices from your accounts if you aren't using them to help improve syncing. I'd also like to suggest making sure that you're trying to sync your Ionics using a device listed as compatible in fitbit.com/devices. After checking that, then I'd say to give a try to the restart process by following these steps:

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
  3. If your Fitbit Ionic doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again.

After restarting your Ionic devices, I advise checking out these posts with useful tips to fix syncing issues. 

I also recommend opening your phone's Bluetooth settings, select the Ionic, then tell Bluetooth to forget the device, close your phone's settings, and then re-opening the Fitbit app and try to connect to the Ionic.

I noticed @averym's post has helped a couple of other fellow Ionic owners. Check it out here! Also, I've found this post by @mrmath3 with some troubleshooting steps. More info can be found here: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

I really hope this helps guys. Feel free to post back with your findings! Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
So glad I swapped mine for an Apple Watch.
I waited a month for a fix that hasn’t happened yet.
It’s a hardware fault now. They haven’t admitted it but it’s **ahem**ed.
Get rid.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! Really helped! Now if I could just get notifications...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm now stuck in this as well, I have to reset everything now too: BT through BIOS on my PC(off-back-on), remove all BT devices, reset the watch, and then it'll connect for one(1) sync), and no more.

After that, nix, it says it's "not bonded" (the Bluetooth pairings are out-of-sync), and no amount of fiddling with BT will fix it.  Thinking about firing up a kernel debugger via Windows, but it's a pain, and it seems like Fitbit should be doing their debug work, not me (I also don't have symbolic data, for their code, so I'd only be able to see "rough operations", not actual code tracing, per-se).

It's hard for me to imagine how it makes sense for Fitibit (by all appearances) to just "ignore" this issue, but the posts for it go back since the release.

I think you're fine, until they cache a bad security-descriptor, or similar, for your device, and the code appears to have a bug where it persists it, indefinitely.

I'm sure if I re-built my Windows machine, that it would reset the status (since all the descriptors would be reset, fully), but that's a bit ridiculous.  
I suspect mine's going back too, unless someone from Fitbit confirms they're working on a fix.

Do the moderators EVER send these along, to Fitbit-support, or similar?

Prior to this failure yesterday, I had "perfect" sync-ing too, same PC(about 2 weeks), same (built-in) Bluetooth adapter, and then this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

More "interesting" info.

I re-added my Charge2 to the same PC, and completed 3 sync, in-a-row, without a single issue.

My Ionic, not-so-much, it still says there's a bonding issue, and I guess I have to reset everything, again, if I want it to sync, once more (the single(1)-time sync).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MShaneWhat phone are you using ?. 

I can help with the Android because every notification I have set is coming through..  Even 40' away.... These include my installed Apps outside of Fitbit App..

@MShane wrote:

Thanks! Really helped! Now if I could just get notifications...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PeteG-1Same here, because all of my multi-paired Fitbits sync.. all of those listed in my signature, and another good Ionic sync first thing this morning..and the One nearby also synced..

So, if it's Ionic hardware it could be an isolated batch because I have had my Ionic in Australia since pre-order at a Fitbit retailer.. This time, I took out an extended warranty not knowing what may happen, mainly because of the outlay.. January sales here they have dropped the price ..11% our base price was $449 AUD. Equates to Fitbit's store 10% off...

The Ionic has done everything I expected of it, the occasional delayed sync..

@PeteG-1 wrote:

More "interesting" info.

I re-added my Charge2 to the same PC, and completed 3 sync, in-a-row, without a single issue.

My Ionic, not-so-much, it still says there's a bonding issue, and I guess I have to reset everything, again, if I want it to sync, once more (the single(1)-time sync).

Best Answer

@Colinm39 wrote:

@PeteG-1Same here, because all of my multi-paired Fitbits sync.. all of those listed in my signature, and another good Ionic sync first thing this morning..and the One nearby also synced..

So, if it's Ionic hardware it could be an isolated batch because I have had my Ionic in Australia since pre-order at a Fitbit retailer.. This time, I took out an extended warranty not knowing what may happen, mainly because of the outlay.. January sales here they have dropped the price ..11% our base price was $449 AUD. Equates to Fitbit's store 10% off...

The Ionic has done everything I expected of it, the occasional delayed sync..

@PeteG-1 wrote:

More "interesting" info.

That's how my Ionic was, those first 16 days, and then it failed one time, and now I can only get it to sync, a singular time, if I go through the whole process (remove from account, disable BT in BIOS, reboot, then reboot (again), and re-enable BIOS this time.  At this point, I can add it back, and it'll sync, one (1) time, and then it fails, after that.

I suspect it's using a temporary BT GUID during the first sync, and I've got a cached one, somewhere, that's just persisting (like the registry, somewhere, although I've done some digging with no luck...).

I'm going to return mine, unless I figure out a solution in the next hour or so, I've spent way too much time on a "convenience" watch.

It's a nifty upgrade, from my Chage2, but without consistent reliability, why bother.

The prices here have dropped too, about 20%, I noticed.

Best Answer

I just noticed, I got an update to the Fitbit app yesterday on my PC, exactly when this all "fell apart", and my perfectly-working Ionic failed to sync.

I wish they'd give more description, other than "security fixes and stability improvements".  

Wondering now, if the app, or the update, nuked my BT ID, and now I can't seem to reset it, no matter, no-how.

Best Answer

@PeteG-1 I will post after my 2.64 update comes through.. Fingers crossed..

@PeteG-1 wrote:

I just noticed, I got an update to the Fitbit app yesterday on my PC, exactly when this all "fell apart", and my perfectly-working Ionic failed to sync.

I wish they'd give more description, other than "security fixes and stability improvements".  

Wondering now, if the app, or the update, nuked my BT ID, and now I can't seem to reset it, no matter, no-how.

Best Answer

Is there any way to "roll back" to 2.28?

I've been searching the Fitbit site (the Windows Store doesn't officially support this), hoping to find a 2.28 install package, since that seems to be the most coincidental with my failure profile.

I'm not as thrilled about pulling them from some random file mirror, but I might sandbox the install if I found this, just to be on the cautious side...

Best Answer