Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not charging or turning on

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Got an Ionic for Christmas. Has been fine. It went flat the other day. Put it on charge and now nothing it happening. Have tried using a computer to charge and different chargers but having no luck. I don’t want to go out and buy a new charging cable if there is a solution to the issue. I’ve cleaned out the charging points and can’t figure out what’s going on. Any ideas?

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

@AndyStuart Welcome to the Fitbit forums! That is very strange! Have you tried different USB ports on your computer? Are you still experiencing this?

Also, when this kind of things happen, performing a restart on your Ionic is the best option to sort this out. It has helped many other users in the past. so give it a try! 

Thanks for cleaning the charging points, that workaround also helps.

I'm sure this should help you out. Please let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Did you ever get it to come back on?

My Ionic stopped working after one month of gentle usage. Customer support trying to put me through hoop after hoop of sending a less than 25 MB video that's 20+ seconds (good luck) proving it does not work. They market a hi-tech expensive product to people but they do not trust their customers word or ability to type "Fitbit Ionic does not turn on" into a search engine. Returning the Fitbit Flyer headphones today and will never buy another Fitbit product. 

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same problem.  Mine Ionic is charged up but the screen won't wake up no matter how much I tap, turn the wrist or even press the buttons.  I'm very frustrated but troubleshooting before I call customer service.  Found my receipt and last day for return at Target was yesterday ... go figure!

Best Answer

I would try to return it today at Target anyways and see if they will step up.  I think Fitbit's customer support (whatever company its contracted out to) is designed to shield Fitbit from their known to be flawed devices.  Many people on this forum are having the same issue with the Ionic.  I have not heard yet if any have had it replaced.  But based on the Charge HR forum, even if they replace a device (probably with a refurbished one) it will likely break again soon and the warranty is for one year from the original purchase.  So its bricked after a year anyways.  Not sure how this company is in business.

Best Answer

I returned the Fitbit Ionic today to Best Buy and they gave me a refund no questions asked even though it was three days beyond their return policy window.  I also returned the Fitbit Flyer headphones I had bought to go with the Ionic and bought the Jaybird X3 headphones.

My household will never buy a Fitbit product again.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

@timos303 I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry to see you go. The Community will be here happy to help you out if you ever decide to come back. Smiley Happy

@Evelynicita Welcome to the Fitbit family! Did you tried the troubleshooting steps already? If so, which ones did you? Is it working properly now? Did you contacted customer support?

I will leave the restart steps here for you. That should help you out. 

If this is already resolved for you, please share the workaround that helped you out with us!

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

So I went to my phone dashboard and change the clock face, that seemed to wake up the device and it's been working fine since then.  I'm a faithful Fitbit user, this is my third one ... I had the first basic, then the Alta and now this.  I hope all the bugs are worked out and it doesn't fail again

Best Answer

@Evelynicita Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear that your Ionic is working properly now. Also, thanks for being loyal to Fitbit and sticking around! Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure the Community will find the workaround you just shared helpful if any user happens to experience something similar. If this happens again be sure to let me and the Community know!

Additionally, have you checked the Feature Suggestions Board? If you have any ideas for future features you would like to see on your Fitbit device this is the best place for asking. Feel free to search for existing feature suggestions or add you own original one!

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

My husband is having the same issue with his. He's had it for a month. This is the second time it stopped charging. The first time was within the first week and after searching tips and trying different things, we got it to work. Now two weeks later it hasn't charged in almost a week. We've tried all the same techniques....the restarts, using computer USB, different USB ports, wall outlets, wiping connectors...all with no success. This is extremely frustrating!! I hope this wasn't a waste of money. 

Best Answer

My ionic went from working to completely dead with plenty of charge.. please advise

Best Answer

Almost the same here.  Was low on charge, so I plugged it in to charge and it died. Has been plugged in for an hour and no response. Not charging, nothing on screen, rest does nothing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

“Reset” does nothing

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem.  My Ionic randomly turned off yesterday while I was where it even though I had plenty of charge >30% and then when I plugged it in, it said "0%" and would not charge or turn on.  I tried rebooting it multiple times and connecting and disconnecting the charger, but it just kept flashing "0%" and would never boot up.  Finally, this morning, I saw the suggestion for trying different USB ports and I plugged it into one and it still didn't reboot or start up.  Then I unplugged the USB cable from one port and plugged into another.  Finally, the fitbit logo appeared and it finally booted up.  I really hope this issue can be fixed and doesn't keep happening.  I have only had the watch a few weeks since Christmas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I meant to say in the last message "while I was wearing it".  See below.

@krazyjase wrote:

I had the same problem.  My Ionic randomly turned off yesterday while I was wearing it even though I had plenty of charge >30% and then when I plugged it in, it said "0%" and would not charge or turn on.  I tried rebooting it multiple times and connecting and disconnecting the charger, but it just kept flashing "0%" and would never boot up.  Finally, this morning, I saw the suggestion for trying different USB ports and I plugged it into one and it still didn't reboot or start up.  Then I unplugged the USB cable from one port and plugged into another.  Finally, the fitbit logo appeared and it finally booted up.  I really hope this issue can be fixed and doesn't keep happening.  I have only had the watch a few weeks since Christmas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic device charging issue as all the rest have noted. Have followed all  troubleshooter advice but still no charge. The device was purchased a month ago. Up until now, have been using regularly for lap and. open sea swimming and walking and have been impressed with the functionality and reporting..lately a series of issues preceded this latest charging issue such as screen flickering, correct time zone display, and genarlly difficulty in getting display to respond....time to go back to where the device was purchased I reckon, James 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this EXACT same issue. I have been purchasing from Fitbit for 3 years. They have never provided me with bad customer service until now.  I have had my Fitbit for not even a month. It will be a month on 2/17/18. Just yesterday it stopped working. it has been on 0% for almost two days now and won't charge at all. I have spoke with people on chat and over the phone. They are telling me that they can't send me out a new one or a refund until they receive mine back. They told me that it will take another 3 weeks to receive my replacement Fitbit or my refund. To me, that is absolutely ridiculous! They do not trust their customers at all. They made me send them a video of me doing a reset (that didn't work) and then gave me this option. Great customer service would be sending out a replacement Ionic to me Next Day Air and trust that I will send this broken one back. No reason for me to keep the broken one if it doesn't work. Extremely disappointed with Fitbit customer service and I will not be purchasing from them anymore nor promoting them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is doing the exact same thing! Been trying to charge it for three days now, and nothing! It happened a week or so ago too and the watch is about s month old. I'm so disappointed, it really isn't fit for purpose! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any new ideas of what to do when the Ionic won't charge. I've reset mine 3 times and it's connected to the computer. I don't know what else to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic has gone dead as well. It won't charge, won't turn on. Bought mine on 12/9/17. I've tried restarting it, pressing buttons simultaneously, plugging into different computer and outlets and still nothing. Based on all the reviews and posts about this issue it appears this is a faulty EXPENSIVE product:(

Best Answer
0 Votes