Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not responding

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i just don't understand about Fitbit; community forum rule suggest sharing our expriance here and when I did share my true experience my post gets deleted. I am asking for solution for my dead Fitbit ionic that is less than a year and a half since I bought it.

Yes I have tried to

-: reset and restart the device by pressing the two and 3 buttons as well as 2 buttons together for at lest 20 seconds.

:- I have cleaned charging ports on the device and charging cable with alcohol and compressed air.

:- I have tried different (new) charging cable and charging ports (different computer and wall brick). 

I do not think offering discount for our dead device without solving the core issue is fair customer support. Before my post gets deleted can anyone (specially from Fitbit) give me a solution to my dead ionic?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I’m sorry to say @Ras11 , that your device is out of warranty and the discount is what Fitbit offers in these situations. I’ve not found other companies who will repair or replace out of warranty tech devices, or anything else for that matter. 

The best advise I can offer for future purchases is to pay with American Express. They automatically double all warranties. It’s a good service. 

Best Answer

Thank you @SunsetRunner  point taken; however I have never had so many device that cost $250+ fail within such a short period (1.5 years) for no apparent reason. As you can see with so many users of ionic within a short period of time. I personaly know at least 4 people with same exact issue. Thanks for the advice (i.e. using American express). I wanted to know if Fitbit is working on ionic issues and  at least trying to get to the bottom of this?   

Best Answer

I thought mine too was bricked, but then tried cleaning the recess around the charge port with a toothpick...it then took charge and has been fine since 😉

Worth at go.

Best Answer

Hello guys! I'm happy to answer your inquiries. I'd like to begin giving a warm welcome to @Darkmi to our Fitbit Community. Nice to see you again @Ras11 and @SunsetRunner welcome back.

@Ras11 Thanks for troubleshooting this prior posting. I'd like to suggest you to contact our Support team regarding the information that was provided by them, I'm sure that they'll assist you further with your inquiries. As a friendly reminder, you can always check our Returns and Warranty policies to understand better the response from our Support Team. The feedback that was submitted is appreciated.

@Darkmi I'm happy to know that your difficulties with your Ionic device were resolved after cleaning it. You can always check our wear and care tips too for more information. Let me know if I can do anything else for you in the meantime, hope that you're enjoying your device the same way as I do with mine. Smiley Happy

@SunsetRunner Thanks for sharing your thoughts with other users, I'm sure that your suggestions are always helpful for our Community Forum users.

I'll be here if you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RicardoFitbit  thanks for suggestion. One thing I was curious about is the title of my post "Non-responsive bricked Ionic head count" was edited to be more descriptive. However I thought the original title was better descriptive of what's going on with ionic.

I wish Fitbit would address our concern with ionic. For me after back and forth with customer support, a few phone calls and talking to a manager. Fitbit said they would make an exception at this time and sent me a working ionic. Even thou I was informed it was new/ have not been activated. it has few miner scratches on the back where sensors are. Yes it works. However it still does not solve the fact that it would eventually go dead for no reason within a short period of time.

Yes I am happy that I have a working device, but I still want Fitbit to work toward solving ionic issues that so many of us are experiencing. Having a working ionic for the moment does not deter my mission to push and question Fitbit in order to get some answer regarding Fitbit ionic. We as customers deserve an answer. People  who invested in ionic about a year and a half ago did truly stack by Fitbit when Fitbit Ionic had all kind of issues at the beginning, therefore at least  Fitbit should take care of its loyal customers by truly resolving the issues encountered by its customers.

Best Answer

Hello again! You're welcome @Ras11 thanks for your reply and update. Welcome aboard @Simon2609, I'm glad to respond your inquiry.

@Ras11 Thanks for your suggestion regarding the title of your original post, I edited the title to be easy-to-find for more users who are experiencing the same as you, which in this case is that your Ionic device is not responding. I'd like to appreciate your time sharing your experienced with your Support team and the resolution that was provided by them. In regards the replacement device that was sent, please contact them back regarding this so you can receive further assistance. Your feedback regarding the difficulties that you experienced with your previous device is appreciated.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a moderator, is their any solution you guys can provide other than telling us to call to customer service. Why so many of us are having same/identical problems with our Fitbit ionic? what is Fitbit doing to resolve this problem? What does it take to for Fitbit to acknowledge the issue with Fitbit ionic to its customers. I did ask customer service regarding this issue and was told they have not heard any issue like mine and it could be isolated case, and another person said he has one it works fine.....apparently non of them are aware or have read ionic forum. 

Best Answer

@Ras11 I agree but every time I post it gets removed.

Best Answer

Please understand that devices like the Fitbit Ionic are NOT designed to last more than about 2 years. This is planned obsolescence. It keeps you coming back for an upgrade. When the Ionic works it is great. When it dies it is dead. There are other devices like this with a better track record when it comes to reliability.

Best Answer

Are you saying this has been done on purpose?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Major appliances have a life of about 10 years. It is to be expected that a small wrist appliance will have a much shorter life. You can only make a device to last so long. I was lucky to get 2 years out of my Fitbit but next time I will go with a Garmin.
Best Answer

Check the contact on your Ionic.  Look to see if it has a tiny little pinhole in the middle of the 3 contacts.  If it does, your contacts are worn or wearing out (sometimes after several tries it may start charging, very carefully set it down and don't bump it).  It happened to mine in less than year so they replaced it.  I bought a soldering kit and added a tiny bit of solder to the middle of each contact and brought the old Ionic back to life.  You can get a soldering kit for around $15.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P84TTCS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best Answer

I was wondering if anyone has gotten any response/acknowledgemt from Fitbit that ionic has some kind of issue, eather be hardware or software. It is very disappointing that such a company would totally ignore its customers as if the issue does not exist or it is acceptable to have its device fail in such time fram. I do not think giving us discount fixes the bigger issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply @GD11009 but mine died attached to my wrist with charge in it.Screenshot_20190425-192106.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let the buyer beware. I have never been impressed with the reliability of Fitbit devices.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did contact customer service regarding the replacement ionic they have sent to me. The replacement ionic looks like it has been used with scratches on the back. First they wanted me to send it back and once they received it they would determine next step. After talking to a manager I was asked to send a picture to them. Now they got the picture, I got an email that they are going to send another one. I am hoping it is not going to be another used one. Will update soon.

Thanks for sending a replacement device, however still did not solve the issue with Fitbit ionic. Yes I do have working device but for how long....? The fact still remains that ionic does have some problem that need to be addressed by Fitbit. 

Best Answer
The problem with the Ionic is that the contact plates are thin, the pins
are pointy and the excellent magnetic connection is strong. This
combination that works great at first will eventually wear out the contact
plate right in the middle where it needs to make contact. If you want the
charging to last longer don't let the magnetic contact snap into place.
Hold back against the pull of the magnet, put one side on and gently let
the other side go into place. I resurrected my dead Ionic with a $15
soldering kit by putting a tiny dot of solder right in the middle of each
contact where there was a tiny little black hole in the middle of the gold
contact. Now I have silver contact plates. but I can get the watch to
charge. They should make a charging cord with springs in it to dampen the
impact on the charging plates.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Long over due. Here is an update........ 

Yes Fitbit finally did send me a new ionic. Like I side in all my posts Fitbit should stand by its product and addressed the issue with ionic by finding a fix or replacing our non-working ionic, instead of giving us the run around. I am happy for now that my non working ionic is replaced. BUT, THIS IS A BIG But   I am not convinced that the issue with ionic is addressed or solved. Only time (I. e. A year or so) will tell. 

Best Answer

Mine is doing the exact same thing.  I have tried everything as they posted to do.  Frustrated!

Best Answer
0 Votes