Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic screen completely black

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ive had multiple fitbits over 5 plus years.  Never had issues like the ones with ionic.  After about 8 months it just stopped syncing, customer support was great and sent me a brand new one.  Then yesterday the screen goes completely black, I once again contact support and am told all they can do is offer me 25% discount on new one.  The new one I received is also only 8 to 9 months old.  Unfortunately looks like I'm gonna lose 5 plus years of stats cause I dont see going back with a product they wont stand behind!

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Welcome to the Community @Steveac. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with our Support team. 

We appreciate that you've been a loyal customer. Sorry to hear about your second Ionic that stopped working. Our team reviews each case individually and the option that's provided is based in the Fitbit Warranty

Hope you can give Fitbit another opportunity in the future. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel the pain also. I have been a loyal Fitbit fan for about 4 years now, I have also got my wife involved as well.

I started with the Fitbit Surge Ultimate and after having to go through 4 because of defects, I upgraded to the Ionic. I also had numerous band failures on both my surge and my wife's Charge2 - I eventually just stopped complaining and bought after-market bands on Amazon to escape the constant need to report and verify purchases etc, even though in all fairness, Fitbit did replace every time.

Let me say here that I really like the Fitbit user interface and the feedback it gives.. I guess it's a large part of what has kept me here. Well, back to my Ionic: I loved it from day one, despite the relatively high cost. However just 3 or so days ago, I went to bed with a fully charged and functional Ionic and woke up to a dead and totally unresponsive Fitbit Ionic.

I am still awaiting a response to my report sent several days ago. Depending on the outcome of this, I might also become a 'former Fitbit fan'. I think that Fitbit needs to do a very serious re-think of their build quality and design or the company, despite its pioneering efforts, will play second fiddle to many others.

I still love my Ionic design, but am not willing to plug out more money for a replacement after just over a year of operation! For heaven's sake, I am typing this on an HP Pavillion that I have had since 2010!

Franklin Murphy

Best Answer

Fitbit is getting on my last nerve.

I did not get anywhere with Support today.

My Fitbit Iconic screen is black as I read another post with the exact same problem I am experiencing. The first one was damaged. I received another, now this one is not working as well.

Although I wear it daily, I take my Iconic off at night to charge, so the last update was June 18th which I verified via chat with Support.

This particular product should last longer than what it has. As a repeat customer having purchased at least 3 different Fitbits, I should not have to spend 200+ within a year or two years for a new Fitbit. This is not feasible. 

Somebody HELP!!!

Best Answer

Fitbit is getting on my last nerve.

I did not get anywhere with Support today.

My Fitbit Iconic screen is black as I read another post with the exact same problem I am experiencing. The first one was damaged. I received another, now this one is not working as well.

Although I wear it daily, I take my Iconic off at night to charge, so the last update was June 18th which I verified via chat with Support.

This particular product should last longer than what it has. As a repeat customer having purchased at least 3 different Fitbits, I should not have to spend 200+ within a year or two years for a new Fitbit. This is not feasible. 

Somebody HELP!!!

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me. Was charged to 99% last night, this morning DEAD! It won't turn on at all. Pushing all the buttons multiple times throughout y'day. Nothing. So frustrated.  This has happened before and after some time it miraculously turned on. No such luck this time. I've had Ionic about 16 months. Have loved it but like many here, it's just too darn pricey to die so quickly. Guess I'll have to see if my daughter still has my old charge. Grrrr

Best Answer

The logic behind that warranty doesn't make sense, if you're going to warranty the initial product for a year, but you send a brand new one in my first defect, then why not warranty that brand new one for one year as well?  This policy needs to be reviewed, and I hate that I feel this cheated, as I said without more help from support this matter will end with a different device on my arm and proper warning to any one who looks at your products.

Best Answer

I didn't realize there was an update on the 18th. Maybe that's why we're having issues?? I'll probably call support tomorrow but from reading here it doesn't sound like it'll do any good. 

Best Answer
It is totally unacceptable. Let us keep pushing!
Best Answer

Hey there @HMFMurphy@Druscilla92@JudyI13 and @Steveac. Thanks for participating in the forums, I appreciate the details that you've mentioned. 

As mentioned before, our Support team reviews each case individually and the solution that's provided is based in the Fitbit Warranty. If you have any questions about the option that you were given, you can reply back to the case that you already have opened with them. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did this last Sunday.   Was offered. Replacement straight away.  Nearly one week and it hasn’t been shipped yet despite 2ails and a long phone call.   I wonder if it would still be waiting to be shipped if I bought a new one.    Despicable customer service. Once they have your money they just don’t care.   Aparantly there was a problem with my order.   Not according to the email I had last Sunday.    The replacement service is a joke.  I now have to buy a replacement to use on my walking holiday tomorrow as aparantly it might take another week. Thank you for not for ruining my walking holiday after promising I would have my replacement in time. 

Harmin forerunner next time for me 

Best Answer
0 Votes
We are all aware that there are conditions in the warranty.. by the way Iam yet to get a response.. however when one buys a product, thers is an expectation of a certain level of service, based on price, perceived value etc.
What is increasingly clear is that quite a few persons, myself included, are dissatisfied with the durability of what is arguably quite an expensive item. What makes ig more frustrating is the seeming pattern of the problem: Our Fitbit Ionic suddenly stops working after 6 months to one year plus. There are just too many cases of this happening to simply appear to dizmuss concerns with "each case is dealt with individually according to ths warranty". I still love my Fitbit programme but I am not prepared to fork out more hard earned cash because of what appears to be some common design flaw. I await my own 'individual' response
Best Answer

Same thing happened to me. I've had my device for a year and two months. I didn't even wear it the whole time and it broke. They keep beating around the bush and refusing to replace their faulty device. They cannot deny this isn't their fault when multiple threads are posted with the same topic.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Jogger
Quite true. I am still waiting..
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly the exact same thing has happened to me.  3 days ago June 19, 2019 my ionic was on the charger, took it off and had a black screen, ever since then I have not been able to power it up.  The Ionic wasnt even dead was just habit of charging it.  The day before I noticed an update Icon but nothing really came of it as there was no update on my phone through fitbit so i ignored it.  This is now my 2nd Ionic in ONE YEAR.  The first one failed within 30 days and though i received a new one which is now the one that no longer works, there is no warranty and I'm out of $199.  I had I hopes but as my husband said perhaps its time to move on and I believe he is right.  I can't get anywhere with customer support even though I have dealt with this before however they were better through emails then they were on the phone.  Now i am stuck with a device I can not use and very disappointed.  I did love my ionic and raved about it to so many that ended up buying one themselves now i feel like the fool that sent them to buy a defected device.  My dad's died after 6 months, my Aunt had to replace 3 ionics all within warranty the point is, I have friends and family now that are having the same problem.  Funny how all the sudden many people are experiencing the same issues around the exact same time.  

Best Answer
Hello Aeiry

Yes it is frustrating I agree. I finally got an apologetic email that instructed me on how to clean the charging connectors.. I will humour them and do that.. never mind it showed full charge a few hours before I found it dead.
Lets keep pushing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

How did you even get an email or any contact from them?  After my chat I haven't received anything or heard a word?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello guys! I'm here to continue providing assistance, my apologies for the delay in responding. Welcome aboard @Karlfinnerty and @Aeiry. It's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums @HMFMurphy @Monday8 and @Steveac.  

As mentioned before, we don't want to create frustration in our customers since Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts. 

Note that we don't have the option to change our warranty policies or give more details about your personal information here on the Forums, if you have questions related to your warranty you can check this page or keep communication open with our Support Team for more details and receive further assistance. Your understanding is appreciated.

@Karlfinnerty Thanks for the feedback that was provided regarding your replacement order. I recommend you to contact our Customer Support team back for more information and details about the replacement order status, as it turns out, I'm unable to access to such information as a Community Moderator, therefore our Support team will provide you with details about your personal replacement order.

I'll be around in case that you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. I didn't get a response to only me from Fitbit. I was lumped in with a
couple of others on the thread. My Ionic is still not working. ☹️. I never
did contact Fitbit directly. I still need to do that. But it sounds like
they may offer only a discount for a new Fitbit as my warranty expired.
Though I miss my Ionic terribly, I'm not feeling the love to purchase
another due to this one dying soon. I had the Charge HR prior which I gave
to my daughter but got her the Alta for Christmas. Now she has to find the
HR and charging cable so I may not even have that option! Good luck. If you
find a fix I'd love to hear if it works. So far all the tips I've seen
aren't working.

Judy
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Judy

I eventually got s response from Fitbit offering me two options:
1. 40% off of a new Fitbit, or
2. Replacement of my current one, less the straps.
I took the second option and I am awaiting its arrival.

While I understand the modetstor's response, it is also important to stress the vital nature of sharing common problems and issues. In fact, Fitbit as a company should welcome honest and straightforward feedback like this.. the alternative is persons going silent and being dissatisfied, simply abandoning the brand. At least we are loyal despite several very obvious shortcomings in build quality/ durability etc.

This forum offers the brand invaluable data from what is essentially extended product testing. Do get back in touch with product though and follow up your case and let us know how it goes.
Best Answer
0 Votes