Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic screen scratched. Gutted.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The last few times I have checked online for screen protectors they all had lousy reviews so I decided to be patient and trust the gorilla glass (had this on my Windows Band and the screen outlasted the strap with not a mark to be seen). 

But today my ionic has got two scratches on the screen. Not a clue how as I have not been aware of clonking it against anything. 

So annoyed that such an expensive piece of kit hasn't even survived being worn for 3 weeks without getting scratched.  (happened in the last hour or so whilst tootling around the house).

I assume there is no way I can do anything about it is there? 

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

I feel your pain.  Nothing like a scratch on a new piece of tech to throw me into some kind of sorrow.  I purchased a 2 year protection plan (~$50 @ BB) for mine when I got it 2 weeks ago, and my plan is exactly the same as I had for my Blaze;  if anything happens to it, I will exchange for a new one, and cover that one with the same plan.  It worked out well for me with the Blaze, as I was able to upgrade to the Ionic for just over $100, and I only needed to replace my Blaze once before the upgrade to Ionic.  I am very neurotic about screen covers, but decided that since I am using the protection plan, in the long run it is fine to use these smartwatch screens unprotected.

Best Answer

I will definitely do something like that next time but sadly won't help me now. Benefit of hindsight and all that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, I know it's not helpful.  Wish there was more that could be done.

Best Answer

Check your credit card policy. Some cards allow you to get refunded if Fitbit won’t exchange for new one due to accident damages and or lost products. Hope you get a solution. 

Best Answer

Call fitbit or do a chat online - they may cover it under their warranty. The same thing happened to me. They told me this type of issues are not covered under warranty. However, we will be happy to make a one time exception and provide you with a replacement watch. I have to send my scratched one back first and then they will send me a replacement. But its better than be stuck with a scratched screen 

Best Answer

I tried via Facebook and they told me to 'try and buff the scratch off with a soft cloth and water'.  Gone are the days of fitbit having outstanding customer service I guess. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

To be fair, it is only Gorilla Glass, which is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Not Fitbit’s fault and doesn’t warrant a free replacement (though some have been lucky enough to get one).

Best Answer
Hmmm... Then why do they describe it as scratch proof?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn’t know they did. On the main page it says 

DURABLE SCREEN
Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is tough and damage resistant.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The description I based my decision on was "scratch proof Corning Gorilla
Glass 3"
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where was it you saw that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m not sure where you saw that, as even Corning call it “damage resistant”. If it was a Fitbit advert that said “scratch proof”, then you might have a case against them.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's what I thought. I double checked it yesterday before I contacted
them and those were the exact words. Scratch proof.
Best Answer

Copy it, use it when you call them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where did it come from? Fitbit marketing, one example outside this forum:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYyU-foA5nl/

Google the Fitbit marketing copy:

"The high-resolution color touchscreen features Corning Gorilla Glass 3, crisp graphics and amplified brightness up to 1000 nits."

And you'll see it was used by online retailers like Brookstone and others.

I'm pretty sure it was on original www.fitbit.com/ionic webpage but no specs are showing up on web.archive.org

Moderator edit: format

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a screen shot and will send the link as well in the next
communication.
Best Answer

I don't remember where I saw it originally (I read a huge amount of reviews before deciding to invest in the ionic) but it's on one of the posts pinned to the top of this forum. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't remember where I saw it originally (I read a huge amount of reviews before deciding to invest in the ionic) but it's also in one of the posts from fitbit pinned to the top of this forum providing lots of ionic details. 

Best Answer
0 Votes