Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stops tracking during runs

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Recently my ionic is taking ages (5mins+) to lock on to gps and during my last 4 runs it has randomly suddenly stopped tracking altogether! One was during a race which was really anyoing not knowing my pace or how far I’d run etc😡. Any ideas please? Because at the moment it is not fit for purpose. It’s only 6 months old! TIA. 

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

I'm having the same problem with my Ionic restarting or resetting itself during runs and consequently losing some or all of the data from my runs, as I have not even been.

It's really unacceptable and this is the last time I will ever buy a fitbit, I had a blaze that got the dreaded battery drain fault so I don't know why I placed my faith in fitbit once again and bought the ionic as a replacement.

I can tell you now though, my next fitness tracker will without a doubt be garmin!

Best Answer
It’s ridiculous isn’t it?? Their top of the range watch is not fit for purpose in my opinion! 😡
Yes I agree I had a Garmin before this and will definitely be reverting back to the more trustworthy Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

'Relax!' crashed on me yesterday 😞

Best Answer

It is ridiculous!!!

It's not worth using if it's going to dump all of you're data. Today mi e recorded the second half of my run because it recognised the route otherwise it probably wouldn't have. Like you say m8, not fit for purpose!

Just having a scroll through the recent threads for ionic and it looks like there are quite a few having similar problems.

Seems like the blaze battery drain problem all over again, just a different fault.

Best Answer

I had reported this in a different thread last October, right after I got my Ionic. FitBit's suggestions have been to disable essentially every feature that isn't related to running, not using music on the watch, and restarting the watch before starting exercise. While these do seem to reduce the number of times it's stopped recording, it still does happen, and has even happened twice in the same run. No resolution yet, and at this point, I'm doubting there ever will be. 

Best Answer

I find it infuriating when I go out for a run and try to smash a pr or go further than I have before just for my band to crash and dump all my run data. We should get replacements and be compensated in some way. A nice free pair of alpha boosts wouldn't go a miss 😂

Best Answer

@CoLFC @Pete85 @SunsetRunner @Jonty-123 I hope you're doing well! Thank you for taking the time to report the situation you are experiencing with your exercises.

Our team has received the feedback from everyone in this thread and is working to investigate these reports further. I will share updates from the team when I hear them. Thanks to everyone for your reports and understanding.

In the meantime, I recommend manually logging the activities that have been lost for you to not loose any credit from them.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I have had this problem now already for the third time and it's really starting to annoy me. The watch is only 3 months old and i demand a solution for this.

I first thought a button has been pushed or something but all the data is lost of my runs and is super frustrating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get onto live help on here or call them. They had me jump through some hoops, resetting the device and a factory reset and removing the app from my phone and starting from scratch, unfortunately none of this worked and I've just received a replacement pebble.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, this problem is known to Fitbit and is being discussed in a couple of other threads in the Ionic Forum.  There's a possible easy work-around that seems to work for some, but not all . When you've started your run in the Exercise app, swipe the face of the Ionic left or right to display another statistic .   For some reason, this prevents the app from crashing.   I don't have problems if I remember to do this but it frequently crashes if I forget.  I hope it works for you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same exact problem, it’s enough to drive me crazy! I wish they would come up with a fix and push it out otherwise I’m going back to my Garmin! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i paid over £250 for this watch so i dont have to record my runs manually or carry my phone, this has been a problem since i got the watch last June and the recommendation to manually record your atctivity doesn’t cut it, this is a problem that Fitbit should have sorted months ago

Best Answer
0 Votes

Aye, with the naff Heart Rate Monitor which delivers reading which claim your dead when doing any vigorous exercise and it fails with reading a run, second time it’s happened in two months and as for Fitbit Pay. Another another half hearted attempt. 

The company is feeble and the programmers are playing let’s pretend.  Definitely a company destined to fail once enough people wise up with them. Customers have no loyalty and easily forget especially when something better comes along which with the way Fitbit work will happen they just cannot see it as they’re just giraffes with their heads in the ground. Just imagine Apple sorting the battery life out - that’ll be most of their customers gone and the one at who use it for fitness will have already left them because, well their just rubbish

i suspect my comments will be deleted as other have been as it’s not good for business. That’s why I post it on other forums and review websites. I know my first review has already hit a few hundred people in last two months. I’ve also emails to the BBC’s consumer watch dog program which names and shames companies, if enough people do it, they’ll be on it for sure as other large companies in the past have been

With companies like this, I think you’re better venting your anger constructively with real world reviews and letting as many people know about how these type of companies work

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Shakey-Shane thanks for bringing this to my attention, it's nice to see you participating in our Community Forums.

Let me share with you that Fitbit is always striving to improve our users Fitbit experience with our products and services. We appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers, users and the Community Forum posts because this information help us to evaluate our procedures for future cases. Thank you for the feedback provided and your patience with this situation.

If one of your posts were removed in the past, we sent you a private message explaining the reason. Please review our Community Guidelines if you have any additional questions or want more information about it.

I'll be here if you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

the same problem, fitbit Ionic bought a few hours earlier and already during the first run at 6 k I lost data. 😞 I wonder if I should return it tomorrow

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to be flippant @RicardoFitbit  but results speak louder than words. Nothing personal though as you just get the flack like other moderates

I think FitBits biggest problem is they haven’t figured out what’s important yet. Apple and Microsoft did quite some time ago which is why they always try to fix bugs and also why you have your work cut out

I’m guessing the other side is Fitbit are trying to cover so many products that they have lost the plot a little. 

I would have thought that all the devices worked on the same platform and just used simple lines of code which remove the parts of coding that that device cannot access. In reality though, I sure that each device hasn’t it’s own operation system other than the two large watches which is why there is no time for their programmers to resolve the huge catalogue of bugs/faults

Collecting data will be the biggest goal for Fitbit, but when that data’s wrong, what is the point as selling it on to third parties could allegedly be classed as fraud as they know the data isn’t incorrect and still they are allegedly capitalising from that same data

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again! Welcome to our Fitbit Community @Piper-pl and welcome back @Shakey-Shane, thanks for your reply. Pardon me for the delay in responding. 

@Piper-pl I'd like to apologize with you for the information that was lost, I totally understand how frustrating this was for you. Note that Fitbit is already working on this situation to resolve it as prompt as possible. I recommend you to log the activity with the instructions from our help article: How do I edit or delete Fitbit data and activities? in the meantime. 

@Shakey-Shane Your understanding is appreciated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your comments regarding this situation, as per previously mentioned, the feedback that is submitted through the Community Forums is always took in consideration. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, If fitbit is aware of the GPS issue, why are they still selling the ionic at such a premium.  I have had mine for over a year and it has never worked right.  All I ever see is Connecting or Searching.  Can someone explain how it will be fixed? Will this be through a firmwear update? Will I still have to be under warrenty?

I always use mapmyrun from my phone so I do get the information I need, but makes me think I am due a refund because all I really have is a lesser grade watch.

Best Answer

well, interesting, I decided to give the GPS a try when riding my bike yesterday. 7 miles into the ride it magically connected.  Today when I went out for my run, same place as usual, I gave it another try. Lo and behold it connected and stayed connected for my entire run.  I hope this wasn't a fluke.

Best Answer
0 Votes