Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic vs. Apple Watch Series 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Apple just released info on the new Series 3. I have the Series 1 along with a Charge 2 HR. I actually use both right now because I like the Fitbit App more than the Apple one. The Ionic intrigued me, so I pre-ordered it last week. I am now reconsidering. Lets discuss pros and cons of each. Off the top of my head I see the following.

Apple Watch Series 3

Pros

LTE - Can make and send calls

Streaming of Apple Music over LTE (Big plus to me - but not much known at this time)

Improved fitness capabilities

Nice selection of bands

Charging is now compatible with Qi standards

Cons
1 day battery life - no sleep tracking

ID not refreshed - still looks a bit geeky

Expensive

Fitbit Ionic

Pros

4 Day battery Life

Fitness focused

Cheaper than AWS3

Cons

No LTE (Might be a Pro for some)

select bands

Not much of an App store (yet) or apps

Clunky looking ID

I would love for people to weigh in on this. I am up in the air on which to get at this point!

Tony

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

I have been back and forth between a AW3/LTE and this device soooo badly. 

I'm a avid gymrat and love the fact that the fitbit app can show my +/- and keep up all day without having to say hey I'm working out. Because obviously if you are doing anything above sitting and standing you should get - neg for that. 

Where the AW3 fails... Yes they went from 15 min hr to 10 min hr- However, it can completely out algorithm any thing you do outside of sit and stand due to that and requires you to choose a workout to actually gather proper data. 

You have to use MFP with it (Tried a ton of Apps from Loose it to My Plate you name it) they all suck compared to the Fitbit App. Also, on top of that you have rings, who give a crap about steps, standing etc. Our lives are calories in and out. So they gave you the option to change your move goal finally yeah! lol 

So I can see my proprietary TDEE/BMR *That Apple Created* plus a "deficit"/move goal. and you have to be on your phone not watch to see total calorie expenditure, with a few swipes I might add. 

All in all if you are wanting a daily deficit to be ripped, lean slow bulk or dieting etc... its very hard to switch and be happy requires multiple apps during the day and not as accurate- which some could argue well that's more conservative by only checking every ten min and creating a linear graph... not fun when you go to bed thinking hey I could have had an additional 500 calories to keep my muscles from breaking down or losing strength.

Following this thread for additional feedback = ) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Voodoochildaro wrote:

IONIC PROS:

- heart rate technology, green and red light, with its future improvement.

I keep hearing people mention the Ionic using red light/leds but I can only see a single green light on mine. Am I missing something? 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe it’s a infrared based and a single green as opposed to dual green.

along with the new sensor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@senfinger wrote:

I believe it’s a infrared based and a single green as opposed to dual green.

along with the new sensor.

I did think that but held my phone camera up to it to see if I could see the infrared lights flashing, but nothing. Strange Smiley Frustrated

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ohh wow, yeah that’s wild would have figured you would have seen a whitish light doing that... based on what I have read. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fair point..☺️

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wondering if the Ionic watch allows you to "ping" your cell phone. I know with the Apple Watch you are able to have your phone alarm/sound even if it is on silent mode.  This would be a huge bonus for me as I frequently misplace my phone. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

AliveCor's KardiaBand for Apple Watch just received FDA approval:

https://www.wareable.com/apple/kardia-band-apple-watch-fda-approved-5450

Medical grade EKG for measuring heart rate inside a watch band. Can also detect possible AFib condition.

Interesting info on AliveCor's technology:

https://www.alivecor.com/technology/

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know if you got either yet but if you didn't get the Apple Watch the fitbit ionic has so many flaws to deal with at all times it will just frustrate the heck out of you like, it not connecting, constantly turning on and off, and the watch faces completely not working.i hope I helped but if not I'm sorry

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the feedback. Bought both the Apple Watch and the Ionic.  Returned the Ionic after a week.  Happy with Apple Watch but do miss the Fitbit app.  The Versa looks to be an interesting watch but I am committed to the Apple Watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too. I love my Apple Watch now. It’s part of my life. I don’t think about Fitbit anymore.....😀

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have Apple Watch 3 with cellular. Love Fitbit as well. Returned ionic, now that Versa out bought it. Versa so light and good for tracking sleep. Now during day wear Fitbit and apple 😀😀

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm wanting a watch that plays music while I work out and don't have to be close to my phone also is there one that can do heart and blood pressure 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have fitbit Versa and love it.  It vibrates on wrist to wake me up, know loud alarms.  I downloaded music from my iPhone. It’s better than apple, lot cheaper, long battery life, and great app that has all in one place sleep history, excersises etc

Best Answer
0 Votes