Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't turn on

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My ionic won't turn on after I shut it down. I hold down the large button on the left and nothing.And it won't charge either. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't even had it for 24 hrs

Best Answer
311 REPLIES 311
When I tap it in the manner you suggested, my dead Ionic does have the
spring/vibration sound you describe, but I wouldn't characterize the sound
as "something loose inside".

And, for what it's worth, my battery had 26% when I last looked at it
shortly before it died.
Best Answer

Hi Yojana,

I have not disassembled any of my Ionics, even the dead ones. The test I did consisted only on tapping the device as I described in my previous message. 

My theory of what's happening comes from what I could gather from the videos I've seen on youtube, of people who disassembled the device.

Hi Leecvo,

What I mean about "something loose inside" is that, the metal strip that holds the connectors from disconnecting off the main board, might have one on its ends popping out of the holes they're supposed to slide into. If you look the message posted by @NoPain-NoGain, in the youtube video the guy describes what I call metal strips as "metal brackets":

at around 1:30

https://youtu.be/vZdALycIe8E?t=85

or around 2:50

https://youtu.be/vZdALycIe8E?t=157

If these are loose (hence the springy sound) the connectors can detach from the board with movement or vibration of usage.

Hi everyone, 

I made a short video to show what I mean by "spring sound" inside the dead Ionics. Be sure to raise the volume as the sound is hard to pick up by the camera. 

https://youtu.be/HJLU2Eb1sXg

First Ionic is obviously the one I just received and the second one is the dead one. Do you all have the same symptom?

A symptom of dead Ionics? Hold the Fitbit Ionic by the edges and tap around the "Fitbit" logo. Does it sound like there's a loose spring inside? In this video I do the tapping test with a good Ionic then with a dead one.
Best Answer

Hi, @Leosam  will check it later with died Ionic. I have also personal thoughts that it is possibly engeenering design problem coused by vibration. Mine fitbit died suddenly, after start using actively the Relax application (active vibrations). What's interesting at +- 80% battery charge during walking, just check the time and next boom no reaction. I also think that if I didn't receive repairing - replacement options I will give Ionic to my friends from laboratory to exam the PCB and mechanical parts 🙂 

It's time to switch probably to Suunto/Samsung or Garmin.      

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner @leecvo1 @Leosam @DarthBabooshka thanks for getting back. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank for sharing this information with us. It's also very important for us to have your thoughts in regards our product and your customer support interactions. Fitbit is always trying to provide great products and customer experience. 

Each scenario is different, but our team takes care of each case individually and provides the warranty options depending on the details of your Fitbit purchase. 

Thanks for the clarification @Leosam@DarthBabooshka we appreciate all the information that you post, please take a moment to read our Terms of Service. 

I'll be around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @YojanaFitbit , 

As someone who is also affected by the Ionic failures, I have to admit I am very disappointed with how FitBit handled my issue.  There is very clearly something at fault here, and I don't believe it is something with how your users are handling the devices.  

There appears to be either a software or hardware defect, because almost all of us purchased their Ionic at the same time, and when we talk to you or talk to support we all just get a runaround of "Well, too bad." with a carrot of a discount to try to get us to buy another one.  

With the number of devices which are reporting failures, this is something which needs to be looked at by FitBit project managers and engineering folks.  However, we don't know if that is happening or not, and again, the only response we are getting is "too bad, so sad.".  This does not inspire confidence in us, or in the FitBit line of products.  It's as though you are saying to the consumer "We only expect our devices to last just over a year.  Then, you're on your own.".  This is not something which sits well with a highly mobile, social-media active consumer.  

While I understand you are not the person responsible for this position, someone at FitBit needs to be made aware of what the consumer is experiencing, and what our feelings are.  Unfortunately, canned responses are not helping us and are only serving to exasperate the problem.  

I would like to see some sort of escalation point reached to where we can discuss what we are seeing.  This is not just a one-off - this appears to be a serious defect in the product.  What if this is actually a safety issue and it isn't addressed?  Then FitBit is liable, and they are liable in a big way.  This is why we need to have this issue addressed with either a press release statement or some sort of alternative.  If FitBit wants to continue to grow their business, then a statement should be made, otherwise as word of this continues to leak out, people will explore alternatives.  For me, after my current Ionic dies, I don't believe I will purchase another FitBit - I will explore other options and other devices.  It is hard for me to say this, because my entire family has FitBits - we enjoy the challenges, the ribbing which comes with who has the most steps, and tracking our overall health.  But, unless FitBit steps up to this challenge, then I will be forced to explore alternatives, because I no longer believe the FitBit is a good, solid product.  

Please reach out to your supervisors and management teams for us and work on getting a statement or something.  Otherwise, this could/will end very badly for FitBit with people leaving the product, and then never wanting to come back.  In sales, we have a saying, "Own the problem, Own the customer."  and in our case FitBit is not doing this.  As a result, the customers will leave, and then you will not be left with customers. 

Thank you.  

Best Answer

@WX_Hockey Well said. If FitBit doesn't, at some point, become transparent and communicate the issue regarding their "premium" product. Slowly but surely customers will recognize them as a second grade company who doesn't appreciate their customers. 

Currently it looks like a scam and are a willing participant. They know there's a problem but have done nothing to address it.The customer invests $300 - $400 on the ionic for it to last about 1.5 years. Then it craps out and the warranty is no longer valid. The customer is upset and calls support. Support says "nothing we can do but offer you 40% discount". Customer is upset but feels that has already made a significant investment so feels obligated to invest another $200. So even if FitBit only gets 20% - 30% of the customers, it's a pretty good deal for them.

Best Answer

So I got the discount from Fitibit. The 40% off of a replacement Ionic is nice, but I get leery about staying with the ionic.

So looking at the Versa SE so at least all I lose is GPS. Problem, is that is only 25% off and I can't afford that. I saw the Father's day and hoped I could stack my replacement discount with the Father's day discount. Yeah, no. They don't do that, which is odd as one is a discount for everyone and the other is to try to keep you as a customer after their device choked. Even talked to support. Got the whole "My hands are tied."

Hardware doesn't just die like this. It is strange, so call me really unimpressed. Sure we'll give you a 40% off of our poorly designed device that will probably fail in about 18 months again. My Microsoft Band lasted for three years for a first Gen device. The band died on it, which made it non-functional question.

If Fitbit would at least admit some problem and say they fixed it I would be less annoyed. Instead I fear they have enough sales that it doesn't matter for them to fix this. Unless something changes in the next two weeks I'll be looking for an alternative brand.

Best Answer

Exactly!! Well said!!

Best Answer

@Leosam   I have ping just like yours!  Haven't taken it apart (yet),

Samsung S8 Plus with Android 7.0, Ionic (27.32.10.20)
Best Answer

Hi @WX_Hockey @KevArch @SunsetRunner @mlstapp and @NoPainNoGain thanks for sharing your feedback. Sorry for the delay and for all the inconvenience with your Fitbit devices.

As mentioned before, we don't want to create frustration in our customers since Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts. 

Note that we don't have the option to change our warranties or give more details about your personal information here on the Forums, if you have questions related to your warranty you can check this page or keep communication open with our support team for more details. Thanks for your understanding.

I'll be around in case that you need anything else.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I think it's been said before, but we're not asking for a change in Fitbit warranties, we're asking for a recall to address this defect.  What form this recall takes is almost irrelevant.

Samsung S8 Plus with Android 7.0, Ionic (27.32.10.20)
Best Answer

I am having the same issues. Tried cleaning the connection to make sure it wasn't gunked up. Tried reset for 10 seconds, and tried multiple outlets/computers to charge from. Any ideas?

Best Answer
It's shot...see if they'll replace it for you.
Best Answer

Thanks for your clarification @NoPainNoGain. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums @sollason. Thanks for sharing your comment @mlstapp.

Sorry about the issues with your Fitbit Ionic. We appreciate you feedback since this is the best place to share you thoughts. Sorry for the delay. At this moment I don't have any information about the option that you're looking for since each case is being handled by our support team.

@sollason Thanks for reporting the issues with your Ionic. Thanks for cleaning the contacts of your Fitbit and trying to restart it. I've already contacted our support team, you'll be getting a follow up email shortly.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bought my husband the ionic for Christmas it had this problem a few months ago. Fitbit replaced it. Today the exact same problem with the replacement.  My husband a long time Fitbit user has decided he will no longer use Fitbit anymore. It's sad because he really loved it and was a dedicated tracker

He used all the functions faithfully. 

Best Answer

I have the same problem. My Ionic won't recharge so I cannot use it. I would like tog get in touch with the support team. Brgds Benny

Best Answer
Unless Fitbit issues a recall for the Ionic, I won’t be replacing my dead
Ionic with anything else made by Fitbit. I’m done with Fitbit. Which is
unfortunate, because I like their overall design. I like BMW cars, too, but
I won’t buy one because they’re always in the shop, according to my friends
who own them. Reliability is key, and at the price Fitbit wants for an
Ionic, it should be reliable. It isn’t.
Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Givingup and @BennyCederlund. Thanks for your feedback @leecvo1.

Thanks a million for taking the time to share your feedback and your Fitbit experience. I apologize for this bump on the road using this model. Our team is taking care of your case using the options that your warranty allows. @Givingup Please let me know if I can request a case for you, I'll be happy to do so.

They think this is the best option for you at this moment but I encourage you to keep communication open with our support team. Thank you for your understanding. @BennyCederlund 

If you need anything else I'll be around.

Best Answer

Thank you a million times for the excellent support!! The best, fastest and smoothest I've ever experienced. #excellentsupportfitbitionic

Best Answer

My Ionic is suddenly dead, tried all possible remedies (as suggested here) to turn on the screen again but nothing worked.

I had a live chat with Fitbit, and to my big surprise I heard that they don't own any repair stores and there's no way to repair my watch as it passed the 1 year warranty period. Really?? They offered me 40% discount to purchase the same model but no thanks. I don't think I would ever buy another Fitbit.

While searching for fix I did learn that there's many other users who's experiencing a similar issues, if this is more structural hw or sw issue and there's no official reckoning from Fitbit that's more concerning to me.

Best Answer