Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading music on Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How do I get music on to my Fitbit Ionic? I used Spotify mainly. Do I have options to download a playlist with Spotify or am I out of luck? What other options would I have for music downloading?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Yeah, which, is pretty much totally not acceptable.  I can download a movie in a minute and can’t get 300 songs on this thing in less than 20 minutes? ....yeah....

Best Answer

So, there were a couple of steps left out of the directions. 

First, after you've downloaded the Fitbit app to your computer, in order for your computer to find your watch on the wifi---YOU MUST FLICK RIGHT ON THE WATCH to access your apps.  (They're hiding over there).  You will see the music app on your watch.  Select it and select when it says "transfer".  NOW your computer can find your watch.  

Secondly, you MUST MAKE A PLAYLIST ON YOUR ITUNES ON YOUR COMPUTER.  I had a playlist on my phone, but that is not enough.  When you make a playlist on the itunes on your computer, it makes a copy of the music in your music folder on your computer, so that it can be found by the fitbit app on your computer.  

I have to say, whoever wrote the directions for doing this in the manual didn't do a good job.  This really reflects negatively on fitbit that they let these directions roll out incompletely.  

Best Answer

i had the apple watch and it was a lot slower!  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I al sorry to say that all these is stated in the user manual of the Ionic, i hope you reed it first.
Best Answer

I am sorry to say that all is stated in the manual of th Ionic. I hope you read it.

-the iTunes playlist on notebook

-transfer music , ready to receive

-etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So where is the manual? I checked my box and all there was was a safety instructions and Limited warranty and a basic get started - is it online?
So I’ve just been fumbling!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
The how to use feature in the app tells you what each thing does but it is not a step by step guide(user journey) on how to work it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Music transfer - what a ball ache! 

Now I’m pretty clued up on IT, but I’ve spent the best part of an hour trying to get this to work and still no further forward. Both Ionic and computer on same network but the app still shows searching, it won’t show my playlist library and the Ionic sits there in transfer mode, waiting.

Rethink your methodology here Fitbit.

I doubt that will be happening any time soon lol.

Best Answer

I transferred music to my Ionic via a Win10 pc yesterday, today(after the latest firmware update) it is not working! On the Win10 pc the Fitbit app never finds the Ionic even though I have selected transfer music on the Ionic. I have ran a network sweep and the Ionic can be seen on the Wifi in my home, I can ping it and I know its IP address. For some reason the watch isn't showing as available to the the Fitbit Connect App for a music transfer.

Best Answer

Doesn't work.  Thanks for trying.  There is NOTHING ANYWHERE that says anything about music on this app.  

Best Answer

This is exactly my experience as well. I am anxious to get music on my Fitbit so that I don't need to carry my phone.

Best Answer

Windows media player?  MP3s?  Really.. this is terrible.  Someone please come up with a way to transfer music easily on my smartphone.

Best Answer

Even if you could transfer music from your phone, it would have to be mp3's or FLACs or .wav files that you own.  You don't own streaming or subscription service tracks.  Neither does Fitbit.  There are legal issues involved.  Hopefully Spotify and Amazon Music and Apple Music and others will come to Fitbit with a plan, but nobody is likely to do it without a way to profit from the service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jefferson_Hurst, seconded! Maybe Fitbit decided to go with retro music options to match the angular late-90s watch design 😉

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

@dermbrian, first of all that's exactly what I want to transfer. I have MP3 files that I just want on my watch so that I don't have to carry my phone. Second of all the Fitbit ionic does not take MP3 files but it appears to take playlists. I don't even know what kind of file that is! Does anyone know what the file extension is for a playlist? I might be able to search for that on my computer I still think there are issues with the ionic syncing. With the computer.

Best Answer

@chrisharek Hey Chris are you using Windows Media Player or iTunes. Fitbit connect supports either of these formats. Basically the playlist is a file with a list of mp3s and their locations on your hdd

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok,  Chris.  Good to know.

I agree....if you own mp3s on your phone without DRM restrictions, transferring from your phone should be an option.  Lots of people dont have PC's.  Or they have a Chromebook.  Or even a Linux desktop computer.  The phone is the main interface to the watch for most.

Brian

Best Answer

I'm using Windows. I don't know what a playlist tall extension even is. I have created a playlist but I don't know how to find it once I connect my watch.

Best Answer

The playlist extension for Windows Media Player is .wpl, normally its saved in the same location as your Music Library in a folder called Playlists.

If your music library isn't a standard location the Fitbit connect software may not be able to find it. When in the transfer music section of the software there is a settings icon up the top right and you can use this to set the location.

I agree with everyone that this is a very archaic method of syncing music to the watch, but as its all I have at the minute I will make do. It is very handy to have your music on the watch I must say!

Best Answer