Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough power from source message while charging-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I plug in my Ionic to charge I get a message that says “Can not charge - not enough power from source”. I have tried to move it to other outlets but get same message. Even reset it with no luck.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity  

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello guys! I'm here to provide some assistance with this situation. Welcome aboard and thank you for bringing this to my attention @Zimmc, my apologies for the delay in responding. Nice to see you again @Odyssey13 and @Rich_Laue, welcome back to our forums.  

@Zimmc I'd like to share with you that the message you're receiving at the moment you try to charge your device is usually shown when you're not charging it correctly. I'm aware that in some scenarios users charge the device incorrectly or in a way we do not suggest, therefore, if you want to double check our charging instructions please check our help article: How do I charge my Fitbit device? and let me know if you continue receiving such message. 

@Odyssey13 @Rich_Laue Thanks for your suggestions and for your inquiries, your willingness to resolve our Community Forum users difficulties are always appreciated. 

Keep me posted. Robot Happy

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Hello and welcome to the forums @Zimmc 

How are you trying to charge it - a power bank, tablet, computer, or something else? Could be you're using a device that is not powered, but is running off a battery? Let us know, so we may better assist you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Have you tried cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab or a piece of paper?

Best Answer

Hello guys! I'm here to provide some assistance with this situation. Welcome aboard and thank you for bringing this to my attention @Zimmc, my apologies for the delay in responding. Nice to see you again @Odyssey13 and @Rich_Laue, welcome back to our forums.  

@Zimmc I'd like to share with you that the message you're receiving at the moment you try to charge your device is usually shown when you're not charging it correctly. I'm aware that in some scenarios users charge the device incorrectly or in a way we do not suggest, therefore, if you want to double check our charging instructions please check our help article: How do I charge my Fitbit device? and let me know if you continue receiving such message. 

@Odyssey13 @Rich_Laue Thanks for your suggestions and for your inquiries, your willingness to resolve our Community Forum users difficulties are always appreciated. 

Keep me posted. Robot Happy

Best Answer

I experienced the error message after a firmware update last week. I have had the  Ionic for about a year and one half with zero problems otherwise. My wife and I have used Fitbit devices for years.

I didn’t notice it until I got the low battery message a day after I thought I had charged it. I would attach the cable, charge level would pop up, then two vibrations and the not sufficient power message. Tried three different USB chargers, changed to spare cable, cleaned contacts, etc, etc. Finally got it to stay in the charge mode and left it perfectly still until it reached 100%. I’m no tech wiz, but like everyone these days I’m surrounded by USB devices at home and in my car. Shame on Fitbit for blaming the customer. There are way too many people suddenly having this problem to be telling them to re-read the user manual

Best Answer

My ionic will not charge from any source using three different cables

The same notification as other people not enough power from source.

Does this mean my watch needs a new battery?

If this is a software problem as someone suggested I will be unable to do anything with a flat battery.

Very disappointed with this watch only eighteen months old and looks like it will be going in the bin.

Definitely will not be buying another and will recommend none of my friends and family buy this brand.

Best Answer

Hello @Granter, welcome to the Community Forums! Sorry for the delay in responding your post.

Thanks for the information and feedback that was shared in your post. Let me share with you that our Customer Support team was contacted on your behalf to receive further assistance directly with them. That said, please keep an eye to your email inbox because they'll be in touch with you soon.

In the meantime they contact you, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer

You realize that your answer is not an answer at all.  It is just a wordy way of saying "follow directions," and that's not helpful.  I have seen the same problem, and worked around it by disconnecting and reconnecting again.  In the future, please don't waste our time unless you have some expertise beyond the simple manual.

Best Answer

@akiliszek without proper tagging and a link to the post in question. We are not sure who you are addressing or what post is being referred to. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit was replaced under warranty.

The back of the watch had swollen ( I'mguessing the battery).

This causes the connectors to not make contact and give the not enough power from source error display.

I suggest anyone getting this error message check the back of the watch.

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. I have tried every suggestion on this board at least twice, I have reset the ionic, I have cleaned the connections, I have read the help files. I continue to get this error message. I have bought a new cord from Fitbit, I have plugged into three different computers, multiple wall outlets , with a variety of plugs. And everything else that has been suggested. Once out of every ten times it will charge a little. 

what ‘s left? A new device?

Best Answer

I've been seeing the same warning, however, it does still charge.

Very annoying, mainly because when it reaches 100% charge, it stops charging, drops a little, then recharges, buzzes twice with warning, fully charges, stops charging, drops a little, starts charging again, buzzes twice with warning, fully charges, stops charging, drops a little, starts charging again....over and over again, until I get up out of bed to remove it from the charger.

Best Answer

Check the wall brick, the current needs to be rated at least 1000. MA or 1 amp. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue it happens with every charger I have tried, with every cable - original and third party.

Best Answer

Fitbit hsa had great support and since mine is still working, Ihave not called them about the "not enough power to Charge" error.   Some mentioned, shame on the fitbit moderator...   

I agree, that was a bogus answer to an issue that many people are having.  I love my fitbit, but that response is discouraging!  Time to think about where to go with this issue.

Best Answer
  • The out come of my problem,  (insufficient power supply) was simply that the battery in the watch had swollen and bowed the back of the watch.
  • No amount of new charging cables would fix the fault and trying different power supplies was a waist of time when it was the watch it's self.
  • But this was never mentioned by Fitbit.
  • To their credit they did replace my watch.
Best Answer

Today I noticed that out of 4 metal contact dots at the back of my versa, I only can see three metal contacts. One metal contact is missing. Since then my watch says "Cannot charge: the power from this source is not enough" or a similar message. How can this be solved? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @varatvai what type of device is the charging cord plugged into?

Do you use your phones charger?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Turned out that the battery had swollen in my watch and no lead would make
contact with the connectors.
Fitbit replaced the watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did yours look like it was charging?  The battery icon at the top, progressive dashes, etc?  Mine beeps when plugged into a PC so I know some contact has been made.  Its very random.  Last week it charged, this week I got it to 40%.

Best Answer
0 Votes