Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Fitbit Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Folks, when all else fails, try resetting your Ionic.  Here is how: Press and hold the left and bottom right buttons together, until the Fitbit icon appears, then release.

The reset has always worked for me when things get hookie and hopefully will for you as well!

Moderator Edit: Format

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
176 REPLIES 176
No, it did not work and it was a disappointment, because my ionic was
less than 2 years old and it just did not work, that means that I must
pay for another one since your answer was that it has no repair.
Best Answer

This procedure just bricked my device.

Best Answer

Hi, @Loumann , did you try the factory reset procedure?  What are you now seeing on your device?  Anything at all?  Do yiu have the red x or just a blank screen?

If you have the red x just ignore the instruction to sync and go ahead and re-set it up.  It make take some time, but should work.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. Just seeing a black, empty screen. I don’t think it’s getting power anymore although it was fully charged prior to dying.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi. I’m sending a reply again because I’m not certain it went through. After the factory reset suggestion (including all three buttons at first and then just the left and bottom right until it vibrates), my device went completely black ... nothing. I’ve tried recharging but no life signs whatsoever.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Loumann in that case, I think it would be best to get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on Contact.fitbit.com .  They might be able to help.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thanks, it actually did reset after three or more attempts so it pays to keep trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m not sure who just replied. My Ionic never did come back. Fitbit replaced it with a new one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Second watch I've used the dreaded factory reset! Don't use it... You end up with a completely dead watch. I should have learnt the first time. Annoying that fitbit have this function on the device and it destroys it. Obviously a fault in the software.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When all else fails? And what should I do when all else and even this, fails. My Ionic is dead! Out of warranty. Won't power up, charge, nothing.

Is there any hope? I'm not buying another one at that price but sorely disappointed that it has only lasted 3 years!

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s rather infuriating. My advice is to contact Fitbit and ask nicely for support. They might feel charitable and at least offer a 50% discount for a new one. I myself have decided not to purchase another Fitbit device.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Ionic reached 3 years on Christmas Day.  Over the three years it had a couple of instances where it crashed after firmware updates.  I once thought it was completely dead and tech support helped me revive it.  It was going well until I tried to mistakenly add a Charge 4 to my account and it replaced the Ionic and I couldn't get it linked back to my account.  Happily I have a couple of spare Ionics and was able to connect it back to my phone and account and gave the Charge 4 to my wife.  These watches can be glitchy and I never do firmware updates until after they've been out a couple of months.  I also have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and a Samsung Galaxy Watch 42mm and each of them compares well with the Ionic and have their pros and cons.  I think getting three years out of any of them is pretty good, the battery life begins to degrade on all of them over time and requires more frequent charging.  I'm not giving up on the brand and like their app better than the Garmin or Samsung.

Best Answer
A hint I picked up on this site from another user is to charge my Ionic
each day when I shower. Works well, no down time or concern I will "run
dry".

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just did a factory reset and now it isn't a completely black screen but the fitbit logo (except it is white, not teal)...any thoughts on what I need to do to get passed this screen?  I have restarted multiple times and have factory reset several times and have not been able to get past this white fitbit logo since doing the first factory reset.  

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

It worked! I would have saved so much time if I had found this earlier.  If it were called re-boot I wouldn't have worried about data loss as some posts had made me worry about.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. For all of you who are new to the Fitbit community, welcome.

Thank you for the details mentioned and the troubleshooting performed. I understand how you are feeling and would like to confirm that you can restart your watch if you experience any of the following issues:

• Won't sync
  • Won't respond to taps, swipes, or button press
  • Won't track steps or other data
  • Won't show notifications or reminders

Restarting your device turns it off and on without deleting any activity data. You can find the steps to restart your watch in How do I restart my Fitbit device?

I am going to close this thread, but if there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to start a new topic. You can always visit our Help site where you can find more details about our products and features, as well as the troubleshooting steps.

See you around. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer