Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPO2 sensor on Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Part of the sales pitch for the Ionic watch was that it has multiple additional features that would come online after launch, including the ability to check blood oxygen levels. I've yet to find anything to do with it anywhere. Has anyone got any information when this stuff is going live or was it just marketing? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and word choice.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

@bbarrera We are well aware of the phrase, "Caveat emptor." Or better, "Trust, by verify." Any other way of looking at things is just foolish. But then, maybe I'm jaded.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Long ago we stopped being able to evaluate software defined devices by specs and manuals alone. Maybe that is one reason why YouTube reviews are so popular.

(I do work with some companies, outside of consumer electronics, that document every requirement, feature, and UI screen. But in this age of agile and iterative software development, those companies are the exception)

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Something similar happened when 4g wasn't widely available and I am guessing when some of the phones are released next year they could be 5g compliant, which is likely to be a prototype.

The same sort of thing happened with wireless routers to say they were 'n' compliant.

I would be more than happy to test the senor on the watch against my spO2 sensor that records up to 24 hours of data. From that you should be able to ascertain I possibly have a condition and am happy to admit it.

Most people I know won't admit it because of the restrictions it would place upon them and require lifestyle changes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ahem - the Fitbit press release : https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Fitbit-Launches-Ionic-th...

"

• New sensor technology: The introduction of a relative SpO2 sensor for estimating blood oxygen levels opens the potential for tracking important new indicators about your health, such as sleep apnea. "
Best Answer
0 Votes

@wookietim wrote:

Ahem - the Fitbit press release : https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Fitbit-Launches-Ionic-th...

"

• New sensor technology: The introduction of a relative SpO2 sensor for estimating blood oxygen levels opens the potential for tracking important new indicators about your health, such as sleep apnea. "

The key word is "potential", no where does it say the software and firmware will be operational upon release.  In addition, if you scroll down you'll see the following:

• "This press release contains forward-looking statements, within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, that involve risks and uncertainties including, among other things, statements regarding the future retail availability of Fitbit Ionic, including any special edition devices and accessories, as well as the future availability of the Fitbit app software development kit, Fitbit Studio, Fitbit App Gallery and available apps, and other product features described in this release, including Fitbit Pay and the relative SpO2 sensor. These forward-looking statements are only predictions and may differ materially from actual results due to a variety of factors, including the effects of the highly competitive market in which we operate, including competition from much larger technology companies; any inability to successfully develop and introduce new products, features, and services or enhance existing products and services; product liability issues, security breaches or other defects; and other factors discussed under the heading “Risk Factors” in our most recent report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements contained herein are based on information available to us as of the date hereof and we do not assume any obligation to update these statements as a result of new information or future events."
Best Answer

the "introduction" of a relative SpO2 sensor that is currently disabled, and that Fitbit in fine print states it may never be turned on. And here we are over 3 months later and SpO2 is still disabled. Meanwhile last week we saw a competitor announce an open study on irregular heartbeats and if something is detected, free doctor consultation and ECG peripheral for further monitoring. Oh, and a 3rd party delivered an FDA approved, medical grade HRM that is integrated into watch strap for that same competitor's smartwatch.

Rather odd "introduction" don't you think? Sincerely hope Fitbit delivers something, but it is a rather odd feature-that-hasn't-rolled-out and that effort could have gone into something genuinely useful like a speaker for the Ionic so you could get audio cues during a workout (or alarm, notifications, etc). And lets say it does finally rollout as sleep apnea detector, I still believe a speaker would provide more value to more Ionic users (my opinion). I'm left guessing that Fitbit wants to hold off on at least one more universal feature (speaker/microphone), to create a stronger upgrade cycle next year.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

That is error by omission.  To state an item has something, without stating that it is worthless is not good.  The FDA doesn't allow food/supplement manufacturers to do that.

Besides, it has absolutely no value, unless they provide the software in the future since, apparently, they are telling nobody else how to fill the gap.  This is a deal killer for me.  I was considering this, even after having 2 watches go bad because a part of the strap, that I have never had fail on any other watch, failed here due to something beyond poor design.

As a side point, it actually scares me that the iconic has an easier release, that requires no implement, to release the straps.  

Best Answer

@stevekn, error by omission?  How do you figure?  Literally everything I have seen from Fitbit regarding the SPO2 sensor says the functional software is a "future" item.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has to be said:

horsey.gif

Best Answer

Just wanted to let you know the red LEDs on the watch do in fact work, when you're sleeping. I'm back to my charge 2 and I never managed to get a picture of it (very hard to take a picture while you're sleeping, haha) but if you live with someone you could test it. Fall asleep and have them check for the red light!  Someone do this and report back Smiley Very Happy 

So perhaps, fitbit is currently recording SpO2 data secretly or the red heart rate monitor LEDs only operate during sleep for whatever reason. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ggalexgg, correct, the red LED has yet to be enabled.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I mean, they are enabled but only turn on when you're asleep. Have a housemate check next time you're napping on the couch (or in bed if that's ok with you) Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ggalexgg wrote:

I mean, they are enabled but only turn on when you're asleep. Have a housemate check next time you're napping on the couch (or in bed if that's ok with you) Smiley Very Happy

Incorrect, the red LED is not yet enabled.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ggalexgg wrote:

So perhaps, fitbit is currently recording SpO2 data secretly or the red heart rate monitor LEDs only operate during sleep for whatever reason. 

We don't know why, but if the red light is on during sleep, that would make sense. There is big interest in the sensor's potential ability to help identify sleep apnea.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@ggalexgg wrote:

Did you actually test it or are you just being stubborn? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I haven’t read every reply, but didn’t apple do this with the iPhone & the nfc chip? 

Best Answer

@ggalexgg wrote:

@shipo wrote:

@ggalexgg wrote:

Did you actually test it or are you just being stubborn? 

Yes, tested it with a camera which is able to pick up red LED had it been operational.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As someone who has only recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea on reading the pre launch material for the Ionic, even though the price was steep at £300, the SpO2 feature was very appealing. Presenting data along the lines of the existing heart rate monitoring would have persuaded me to upgrade from my Charge 2. However having raised the profile of portable, and more crucially, 24 hour SpO2 monitoring and still not having delivered it over 3 months after launch I am now looking elsewhere for that capability. I would agree that Fitbit are not guilty of false advertising as I picked up the lack of SpO2 monitoring from launch however I do believe that they are guilty of poor advertising having raised the profile of a capability that they can't deliver, though competitors can. More Ironic that Ionic! I will wait until the new year however not forever, and will buy a combined SpO2, heart rate and blood pressure band instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Footage of Fitbit's software development team in action, hard at work writing software for the new sensor.

Best Answer