Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps while charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I set up my fitbit ionic last night. I left it on the charger all night and when i woke up this morning it shows 40,000 steps. It does not show specific hours so when i logged driving it did not delete the steps. How can i fix this. I also restarted the fitbit.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134

My final false step count was 20,062 steps in roughly three hours....I wish those steps were mine.  Tech support suggested factory reset and that has seemed to clear things up for me, but still reluctant to say it is officially fixed.  If you have a similar problem, please report it to tech support.

Best Answer

The restarts are not helping. This is a real issue and must be addressed. Otherwise, Ionic a just a good looking piece of junk.

Best Answer

Both my Wife's and mine ionic have done this

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has also done this. Got 13000 steps while it was charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did you laid the fitbit on top the the pc???

If yes then that is the problem.

If not than you have to give fitbit a call.

I called them and they were very help full to solve the problem but after I figured out it was the range to the pc the problem was solved.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone -- It's odd that you're receiving steps while the Ionic is on the charger, but I greatly appreciate you taking the time to report this.

To further clarify, I'd love if you could answer a couple of questions so I can better understand your environment:

• Is this issue ongoing with your Ionic after your first time experiencing this?
  • What was the exact date that you experienced this?
  • Have you done any troubleshooting steps that resolved it?

Also, give me as much detail about your experience as possible. This way I can relay the information to our engineering team to further investigate your reports. Thanks for being super helpful with providing the info requested above. I appreciate your assistance. I will have another update in this thread once I get some responses and have had some time to share this with our team.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

This issue started for me when I purchased the Ionic.  I never had this problem with my One.  I'm syncing to a Galaxy S8.  Here are some screen caps that show the correct data is there its just getting

confused in the Dashboard.  You can see the main page shows 20k Steps, the daily log shows 20k steps, and the hourly log sows the correct 4.4k steps.  I purchased the Ionic on the 2nd and have 6 days since when this has happened, all have the correct number of steps in the Hourly log, but record 5 - 15k extra steps on the daily log and live displays.  This has happened on days when I charge and days when I have not charged.  The example is from yesterday when I charged, It also added 8k extra steps for today before I got out of bed.  Like the example shown the steps added today are not in the hourly log only the daily.

Screenshot_20171013-125434.pngScreenshot_20171013-125412.pngScreenshot_20171013-125400.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have sent my Ionic back for a replacement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Our issue was taking the ionic off at night and placing it on a table with a fan on it. The vibration of the fan was enough to increase steps during the night.

works perfect now
Best Answer
0 Votes

Spoke to a fitbit helpdesk rep this afternoon and after going through some troubleshooting she finally told me that there is an issue with the Fitbit APP and website where data is not displaying correctly and that my issue is probably this.  Since tomorrow is the end of my return window at Best Buy I think I will exchange mine for a new one just in case.

Best Answer

Good call.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I talked to a Fitbit rep, and while I am not 100% sure it is a solution, I changed the location of my ionic while charging.  Sunday night I charged it on the floor next to my nightstand.  I have a small fan on the nightstand that runs during the night (this is where I charged my Charge 2 at and never had any trouble.)  I am not sure about it tracking vibrations down on the floor, but she noted that the tracker's altimeter picks up changes in air pressure so it could be that causing the discrepancy.  Monday night I changed not only where it was charging, but how it was plugged in as well.  I did have it plugged into a multiplug adapter for the wall that has direct USB ports.  I plugged my charger into a fast charging adapter directly in the wall so there would be no interference from anything else.  I also plugged it in across the room from the fan.  Tuesday morning the ionic showed no steps as it should have.  I have had no more problems since changing where and how my ionic was plugged in.

Best Answer
I put mine on the floor by my night stand and it does ok now

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

A simple fix would be only counting steps while heart rate is measured.

Best Answer
0 Votes

These are all workarounds. The issue is real and must be fixed. 

Best Answer
Good deal.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So is anyone with Fitbit able to explain what's going on with the data I posted and give an idea if it will be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Been experiencing this myself. The steps seem completely phantom though and are impossible to remove from my account, they also don' eeffect my calorie burn in anyway, which is reassuring, but still something I'm not happy about. 

I put the Ionic on charge whilst I used my blaze. My Blaze registered 700steps in that time whilst the Ionic measured over 3000 just sitting on charge. I'm going to attempt a factory reset to see if that helps. How many here that are seeing this issue are using multi tracker? 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I have had my ionic for a little over a month and love it.  Today I charged it.  It sat charging via my computer, and when I checked on it, after it hit 100 percent, I pulled it off and the step meter went from 2Kish to well over 10K.  I found this article and reset the watch three times, to see if that will help.  Watch has not been reset since I have owned it and hasnt had any issues other than this so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I got my Ionic Yesterday set it up and then put it to charge overnight woke up this morning with over 10,000 steps on the device (I must be a very deep sleepwalker) I note in some posts that a fan maybe an issue and as I have a fan running next to it I'll try charging it where I used to charge my Blaze instead and see if that fixes things. I've also reset the device 3 times to see if that helps as well, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out if the same thing happens.

Thanks to those in the earlier posts for posting their suggestions and possible causes, will be good to see if they help solve this for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes