Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to join Fitbit Heart Study

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, 

I am trying to sign up for the new heart trial that can detect things like afib. I get to the "Get Started" button in the trial, but then it always asks me to get the software on my device up to date, even though it already is and doesn't give me the option to upgrade.  Does anyone else have this problem.  Already tried updating the app and restarting the phone and Ionic.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

@AustinPea A warm welcome to the Community. Thanks for the troubleshooting tried prior to posting. 

I appreciate that you mentioned you're interested in the Fitbit Heart Study. I would like you to confirm that you have the latest firmware version installed on your watch, which is 27.70.8.0. 

If you don't have it but you're not seeing any pending updates on your app, please try the following: 

- Make sure your Ionic is syncing at least once a day 

- Keep your Fitbit app up-to-date

Let me know the outcome. I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Received note about joining Heart Study and to sign on to my Fitbit account.   On dashboard but see nothing about study.   Thanks

Best Answer

@Delacroix It's nice to see you on the Community. Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

When you join the Fitbit Heart Study, our algorithm analyzes your previous heart-rate data for up to 30 days. If we identify that you experienced an irregular heart rhythm during that time, you may receive a notification. As a result, it's possible to receive a notification on the same day that you enroll in the study. It’s important that you’re the only person who wears your Fitbit device in the weeks leading up to and during the study.

Please confirm that you did this procedure to enroll the Fitbit Heart Study. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SilviaFitbit thanks for the reply.

So I see that my current firmware on my Ionic is 27.32.10.20 and I have confirmed my App on my Galaxy S10 is up to date.  As you can see from the screenshot there is no option to upgrade, and it has been synced.

Screenshot_20200709-192913_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer

@AustinPea Thanks for getting back. I appreciate the screenshot attached. 

It seems that you don't have the latest firmware version and that's why you're unable to join the Fitbit Heart Study. 

Since you haven't received the latest version yet. Please try the procedure mentioned above and let me know if you receive it. 

Let me know the outcome. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

But I have already tried both of those things. My Ionic syncs multiple
times a day and my app is running 3.25, as you can see from the screensot
attached.
Best Answer

@AustinPea Thanks for getting back. I appreciate that you confirmed you've done the procedure mentioned above. 

In this case, I've shared your post with our Support team and someone will reply to you as soon as possible. Keep in mind that due to recent events affecting our operations, we may take a bit longer to get back to you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. I think the study must be for premium subscribers only. My friend who is premium subscriber had no issues she has an Inspire HR like me. We both have same firmware version but I'm not a premium subscriber.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried with my Blaze and I'm not a premium subscriber. Those links didn't work for me either, FYI. I tried to sign up and even though it was listed as a compatible device, it said it wasn't right at the end, so...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BirdMom22   The Heart Study isn't limited to Premium users.  Try again with this link from within the Fitbit Blog. 

@Egrant03   The Blaze isn't listed as one of the devices in the Blog.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I saw the notice about the heart rate study in my Fitbit app and clicked on it then saw the message shown below. Several points:

1. I have a Charge 2 which certainly does track heart rate. Why does it not qualify for the study?

2. I have already been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation in July of 2019 by my healthcare provider, Kaiser Permanente. Is there any point in joining this study if I already know I have this condition?

3. If Fitbit still wants me to join the study, will I have to wear my tracker while sleeping? If I do that I tend to get the "Fitbit rash" so I only wear it during waking hours.

Don

Screenshot_20200725-151910_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@snoopdon It's nice to see you on the Community. Thanks for letting me know that you have a Charge 2. 

1. The study is open to Fitbit users in the United States who are at least 22 years old, meet certain requirements, and have a compatible Fitbit device. 

2. The Fitbit Heart Study is a clinical study designed to evaluate Fitbit’s investigational algorithm to detect irregular heart rhythms among Fitbit users with a compatible Fitbit device. This study is being conducted so that Fitbit can determine the accuracy of the algorithm and potentially apply to government agencies for approval to make the algorithm product available to the general public.

3. During the study, wear your Fitbit device as much as possible, especially at night. It’s easier to detect an irregular heart rhythm while you're still or asleep. Also, you may want to check our Wear and Care tips

Best Answer
0 Votes

@snoopdon   Fitbit changed the heart rate sensor since you bought your Charge 2.  My husband has a Blaze, which has the same heart rate sensor as the Charge 2.  The Blaze isn't on the list either.  I am not an expert on sensor accuracy, but I bet the newer sensor tracks heart rate much better.

I joined the study, so I got to read a lot more about it.  If you already have a diagnosis of atrial fibrillation, that is one of the things on the list that disqualifies you from the study.  So you aren't allowed to join.

I read a lot about atrial fibrillation when I learned about the study.  Many people develop atrial fibrillation without feeling anything different and they don't even know they have it.  Sadly, some learn they have atrial fibrillation because they have a stroke.  It seems like the purpose of the study is to see if they can identify atrial fibrillation in people who don't know that they have it. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It’s not evening letting me hit “get started” to join the study. What am I doing wrong? 

Best Answer

@Graciebear13 A warm welcome to the Community. 

Please confirm you're able to participate in the Fitbit Heart Study: 

The study is open to Fitbit users in the United States who are at least 22 years old, meet certain requirements, and have a compatible Fitbit device:

• Fitbit Charge 3
  • Fitbit Charge 4
  • Fitbit Inspire HR
  • Fitbit Ionic
  • Fitbit Versa series

To better assist you, please let me know the Fitbit device model that you have. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am 24 and have a versa 2

Sent
Best Answer

@Graciebear13 Thanks for getting back. 

This study is for US users only. If you're in the United States but are still not getting the option to hit "Get Started" then please log out from the app, force quit it and try again. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • I have the fitbit versa 2. I bought the watch solely to take part in this study and do a 60 second reading. Its not allowing my to click the get started button. Its just grey out and cannot click it. Please help. Or I will be returning the watch as this was the entire reason I bought it today 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Please assist in how to successfully enroll in the heart study..

Best Answer
0 Votes