Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup the Ionic on a Windows 10 computer

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife bought me an Ionic for Christmas.  I am unable to complete the setup.  I get to the stage where I input the four digit code and then I get the message finishing... but nothing happens.

I have removed all previous trackers.  Turned Bluetooth on and off.  Restarted modem/router.  Uninstalled, reinstalled the app from the windows store.  I have reset the ionic by holding down the left and bottom key.  

On the Fitbit app I currently have the message:

tracker needs set up

we're having trouble syncing your tracker.   Set it up again to connect it to your account

OK

The Windows 10 app shows the ionic with full battery and "update available.  Clicking on it shows Synced yesterday, version 20.16.22  Update your tracker.  

but when I do this and get the "a few things to know before updating your Fitbit ionic... and I click on the right-pointing arrow, I eventually get the message "could not complete your Fitbit ionic update"

I can't seem to get wifi setup to work either, clicking on it, I get the "select the Wifi network you want Ionic connect to", and then the error message "We were not able to find or connect to your Ionic" OK.  

I have tried removing the ionic and reinstalling it, and I get back to the four-digit number to input.

Apart from that the ionic screen just scrolls through the Hi get started at messages in different languages.

I have tried Chatting with FitBit staff four times, and still no success in setting up my ionic.  

So now I am trying forums.  Thank you.

kind regards and happy new year

Stuart

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Well it's now setup.  only taken five days, and probably 10 to 15 hours frustrating hours.

Beloved wife and her Charge2 left the house.  All Bluetooth devices turned off.  Antivirus and Windows Defender turned off.  Surface pro sitting next to ADSL2+ modem/Wifi router. Ionic plugged in and sitting on top of the router.  Then repeating all I had done before.  Get to Wifi setup.  Wants to do an update. 

Step1 of 3 Setting up Ionic

Step 2 of 3 downloading - A bar of blue, the full height of the ionic screen appears on the left and grows wider as the download progresses

Step 3 of 3.  Installing.

Success.  I now have the default watch screen.  

on the Windows10 app, ionic now showing version 31.1.16.

To those who are still struggling to set up their Christmas Ionic, please don't give up.  Turn off all your other devices and follow the steps one by one.  Be patient.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
26 REPLIES 26

Are there other Bluetooth enabled devices nearby?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Yes, in Bluetooth settings, under other devices, i see my scanner and a chromecast which is not connected.  It says the ionic is connected.  The scanner is not shown as either connected or not connected.

Best Answer

@schalmer wrote:

My wife bought me an Ionic for Christmas.  I am unable to complete the setup.  I get to the stage where I input the four digit code and then I get the message finishing... but nothing happens.

I have removed all previous trackers.  Turned Bluetooth on and off.  Restarted modem/router.  Uninstalled, reinstalled the app from the windows store.  I have reset the ionic by holding down the left and bottom key.  

Stuart, I'm having significant issues with my Ionic (with little help from FitBit's "resources" *sigh*)... but I've observed a couple things that may help you.

When you do the four digit code (see your original post above with a passage bolded), I've observed that this can take an unexpectedly long time to work out.  It's no guarantee but if you can get back there, then it's at least worth a try to do that and then just leave it for ten minutes and see.  I had the Ionic do that once and I was busy with my kids so I left it...and it finished successfully!? 

Ionic connectivity is disappointing which is a shame because it's really nice and has awesome looking features...but the fact that FitBit's app depends on BT connectivity and the Ionic does not have stable BT capability means it is deeply flawed and unable to deliver, in my personal opinion.  I want to like it.

Best Answer

Thank you Pat,

Last night i inputted the four digit code and then left it, went away watched a movie came back and it was still 'finishing...' went to bed and it was still finishing in the morning when i woke up.  So alas for me no successful conclusion.  😞

Best Answer

@schalmer wrote:

....I have removed all previous trackers...  

Did you use a different Fitbit Connect app for your previous trackers?  You need to uninstall that first before you use the Win10 app. 

Best Answer

Thank you Bi-Ionic, after the initial failure to set up my Ionic on Christmas day, i uninstalled the two versions of the app, then restarted the computer before going to fitbit.com/setup and downloading the windows10 app.  I'm still a failure 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Schalmer, I feel your pain. I also love how when you email Fitbit, their response says to reply to their email if you want to add anything else, but it' a "noreply" address. I wanted to add that my Ionic is counting steps and calories burned but I'm not even wearing it since it hasn't got past the step of loading the 4 numbers. I've gone through all the helpful tips and suggestions since Christmas day. I'm ready to give up and return it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Madnflustered, my wife is urging me to take the ionic back.  Says she will buy me an Apple iWatch.  But I'm stubborn.  I'm usually fairly good at solving tech problems.  Usually reading forums for knowledge acquisition and a logical (or plodding) step by step approach works. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I usually can get through with support from others too but I wasn't having any luck with the Ionic. I gave it one last ditch effort using an old Samsung phone I had stashed away that had a cracked screen and it went past the number stage and updated. I was pleasantly surprised but I did contact tech support to let them know the time and effort to set up is ridiculous. I was ready to return mine. Also mentioned they need to include better directions with the device. If you do want to keep trying, try emailing Fitbit. They did respond to me and I believe if I hadn't got it working, they'd have somehow try to make it right. Good luck!

Sent from XFINITY Connect Application
Best Answer

I too have given it another effort. I unpaired and removed the ionic from two Windows10 machines, and removed all other trackers including my wife's charge2, then turned off or unplugged all Bluetooth devices, then did a factory reset (holding left and bottom button simultaneously).  Then moved my surface pro to the same room as my ADSL2 modem/wifi router.  

Restarted the installation process. 

Got the following error message

an issue occurred while pairing your tracker
1 open your Bluetooth settings.
2 tap and hold or right click your Fitbit tracker, then select delete in the context menu.
3 please make sure that your Fitbit tracker is not connected to another device via Bluetooth.  If it was used with another device, unpaid the tracker form that devices settings
4 restart windows
5 open Bluetooth settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on
6 tap or click on your Fitbit tracker when it is found in Bluetooth devices and wait for parings to complete.
7 if the steps above did not help try factory resetting the tracker and repeating steps 1-5

I did all the above.  
Got to inputting the four digit number
Got a big glowing tick appearing on the screen of the ionic.
Got to set up WiFi - my password was accepted.

Then the app/ionic wanted to do an update

And it failed...  

I tried again moving my surface pro with the ionic plugged into it within a metre of the modem.  Could not update.

5 posts and I'm a recovery runner.  I wonder what i will be by the time i get the ionic setup?  Ultra-patient?  Divorced?  Battered to death by wife, hitting me with my ionic....
Best Answer
0 Votes

@schalmer wrote:

I too have given it another effort. I unpaired and removed the ionic from two Windows10 machines, and removed all other trackers including my wife's charge2, then turned off or unplugged all Bluetooth devices, then did a factory reset (holding left and bottom button simultaneously).  Then moved my surface pro to the same room as my ADSL2 modem/wifi router.  

Restarted the installation process. 

Got the following error message

an issue occurred while pairing your tracker
1 open your Bluetooth settings.
2 tap and hold or right click your Fitbit tracker, then select delete in the context menu.
3 please make sure that your Fitbit tracker is not connected to another device via Bluetooth.  If it was used with another device, unpaid the tracker form that devices settings
4 restart windows
5 open Bluetooth settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on
6 tap or click on your Fitbit tracker when it is found in Bluetooth devices and wait for parings to complete.
7 if the steps above did not help try factory resetting the tracker and repeating steps 1-5

I did all the above.  
Got to inputting the four digit number
Got a big glowing tick appearing on the screen of the ionic.
Got to set up WiFi - my password was accepted.

Then the app/ionic wanted to do an update

And it failed...  

I tried again moving my surface pro with the ionic plugged into it within a metre of the modem.  Could not update.

5 posts and I'm a recovery runner.  I wonder what i will be by the time i get the ionic setup?  Ultra-patient?  Divorced?  Battered to death by wife, hitting me with my ionic....

Why don’t you use the mobile app?

“Just keep swimming,Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming”- Dory
If you find my answers helpful, Vote for them and accept them as the Solution!
Ionic | Charge 2 | iPad 2017 running iOS 12.1.2 Beta
Best Answer
0 Votes

>Why don’t you use the mobile app?

I don't own a mobile. Never wanted to own a cellphone/mobile phone. Yep, I'm a Luddite. Smash the steam-powered looms and spinning Jennys

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well it's now setup.  only taken five days, and probably 10 to 15 hours frustrating hours.

Beloved wife and her Charge2 left the house.  All Bluetooth devices turned off.  Antivirus and Windows Defender turned off.  Surface pro sitting next to ADSL2+ modem/Wifi router. Ionic plugged in and sitting on top of the router.  Then repeating all I had done before.  Get to Wifi setup.  Wants to do an update. 

Step1 of 3 Setting up Ionic

Step 2 of 3 downloading - A bar of blue, the full height of the ionic screen appears on the left and grows wider as the download progresses

Step 3 of 3.  Installing.

Success.  I now have the default watch screen.  

on the Windows10 app, ionic now showing version 31.1.16.

To those who are still struggling to set up their Christmas Ionic, please don't give up.  Turn off all your other devices and follow the steps one by one.  Be patient.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To supersmart01234: I had tried my mobile app and it didn't work, along with IPad and laptop. It only went through the process on an old Samsung cell phone I had laying around. 

To Schalmer: I hope your wife and Charge2 return home soon. It's people like you who have a sense of humor that allow us to get through our darkest hours. Happy New Year!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Mad n flustered, my wondrous fair wife is sometimes not the most patient of people when it comes to technology.   So she went shopping oops soothing while i stumbled to the goal.  

My darkest hours are less dark now that i can tell the time on my new watch and count my steps.  Now onwards to new ionic frustrations - changing clock faces etc.  Oh the joys to come.  Happy new year to your flustered lot too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@schalmer wrote:

Thank you Mad n flustered, my wondrous fair wife is sometimes not the most patient of people when it comes to technology.   So she went shopping oops soothing while i stumbled to the goal.  

My darkest hours are less dark now that i can tell the time on my new watch and count my steps.  Now onwards to new ionic frustrations - changing clock faces etc.  Oh the joys to come.  Happy new year to your flustered lot too.

Good job,I fell bad for your 5+ days of setup

Best Answer
0 Votes

@supersmart01234 wrote:

@schalmer wrote:

Good job,I fell bad for your 5+ days of setup

Feel bad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Supersmart,

I certainly did not anticipate that the setup would be so painful and finicky.  When my first installation attempt failed, I did my standard, remove the device, uninstall the app (had two different versions) then restart my computer.  But that did not work.  

So after 15 plus hours, it worked.  by that stage I had factory reset the ionic more than ten times.  Ionic connected to my surface pro laptop which was placed right next to modem/wifi router.  All blue tooth devices unplugged and turned off.  All computers apart from surface pro shut down.  Beloved Wife and her Charge2 off shopping.  Antivirus and firewalls turned off, and following the instructions meticulously.  

I do think Fitbit needs to provide better instructions.

Now i just need to learn how to use my ionic.  Get seconds to display.  Get the stopwatch working.  Go walking.

Happy new year to all who will be lurking here trying to get their purchases to work.  I feel your pain.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not want to be a Debbie Downer but...I just spent half of my day dealing with my 2.5 month old Ionic. Yes, I had to have it when it first came out even tho I have an Alta HR which I got when my One stopped working. The ONE was my favorite. I charged my Ionic last night, put it on this morning and it wouldn't work. I did online chat with Fitbit support to uninstall apps, soft reset and factory reset. After an e-mail from higher support, I did what they recommended and finally got the update and got it to work..until I piu it on my wrist. Then, same thing. They asked me to send a "short " video and to let them know where I bought it.I REALLY liked it and it has worked flawlessly for the two plus months I have had it. I think the wrist devices are less accurate than my One, but I don't see them bringing back a clip on unfortunately. 😞  I think this could be a really nice device but they need to fix the issues. Too much money for something to go wrong in less than 3 months. 

Best Answer