Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

If your systems can not cope (understandable from numbers involve) why state for a

limited time!

Best Answer

I have received an email with both the store code and the promo code. I am in the UK, but the promo code doesn't work. The chat guy gave me a Ionic recall specific number and the guy that I spoke too said that he had heard of that problem before. He took q note of my reference number and pulled up my details. He has sent Fitbit recall team an email asking them to sort it. He says that they will either email me or phone me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You need to go to the discount store that is linked in the email.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long does it take for the email with discount code to come through?

I completed the registration and disabled it last night but still had no email...I've checked spam too.

I'm in the awesomely great USA!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic battery died,how can i finish step 3 disable device syncing?

Best Answer

Is it not possible to charge  the battery?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here - I have raised with the support desk who say they have escalated and say expect to receive a response in 3 plus days!

I spoke to someone on the chat line - advised to keep trying as due to the number of cases they are having problems with links!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,

We understand your concern about the Ionic recall.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic where you’ll find:

* Answers to common questions
* Information on how to receive a refund
* Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.

If you have questions about the status of your refund, visit help.fitbit.com/ionic to find out how to contact us in your region.

If you're getting the message "Reference code not found" follow these steps:

1. Make sure you entered your code correctly (no periods or space at the end of the code). 
  2. If it still doesn't work, try again later today. The registration needs time to complete processing in our systems.
  3. If you don’t have your reference code, contact the refund center

The discount is only available in regions where you can purchase products directly from the fitbit.com store. The best way to purchase a replacement device is to use the refund at your local Fitbit retailer. You can explore a range of Fitbit trackers and smartwatches and choose from the various options available.

Thank you for your continued support and being a member of the Fitbit family.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No you are not.
I’ve asked for card refund and getting another Fitbit from EBay.
Half the price even after discount offered by Fitbit.

Fitbit do it from their end.

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reference Code not found.

Please allow 30 minutes after registration on our registration website for our Reference code to work in our system.

2 days later, same message. 

Best Answer

I actually managed to speak to someone on the phone and sent them a screen shot. They are ‘investigating’. I’m not holding out much hope.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Ionic
Is not " seen " anymore by the fitbit app. Thus I (guess) might expect to
get the email (eventualy) with a txt that my refund is in process and may
be due within 3 to 6 weeks.. .. we'll see... thank you all for you info
and help Cheers. ....
Best Answer
0 Votes

Really is that your response!!! I have wasted hours trying to call the contact number, Tried to use the chat option and got nowhere at all! five days I have been doing this and that is the same scripted response that is just repeating the opening comment from this extremely lengthy community issue. The number of posts here would suggest that you do more than copy and past the same response!

Firstly, I provided all of the correct information with the understanding that my device would be removed from the app and stop working within seven days. But, it was turned into a brick immediately! However, Fitbit is giving no option of immediate replacement! 

Secondly, the refund is listed as 200 USD. But I have requested repeatedly to get confirmation of what I would receive in the UK? There is no confirmation anywhere.

Thirdly, Fitbit has provided me with a one-time access code to purchase a new product at a discount. Now, as a person with a limited budget after being made redundant during the Covid pandemic. How on earth is it acceptable to force someone to go into the store and spent money that I don't have. Especially when I have no confirmed amount that I will receive as a refund. You, give 90 days to spend a fortune in your store but say that the refund will be received in six weeks!. Basically, telling customers who Fitbit has put at risk from a dangerous product provided by Fitbit, to place themselves at financial risk on the basis that they may receive something 120 days later!

Finally, six weeks is nonsense! Call me old fashioned, but surely it would be easier to do a straight transfer into the customers' bank account, which could be done immediately. Basically, if you decide to shut down the customer's device, you should provide an immediate replacement or solution. Why not provide credit to the customers' account as an alternative??? Now I have to tracking device! I didn't have a tracking device in the race I ran yesterday and I won't have a tracking device in the race that I am in this coming Sunday!

But all Fitbit wants to do is shut down any communication and past the same response on here repeatedly. This is not acceptable!

Moderator Edit: Formatting and word choice

Best Answer

I have posted previously under using two fit bit devices on one account. The summary is, before I had a Blaze and an earlier fit bit. I was able to charge one and use the other to track my steps. When my Blaze died, I bought an Ionic. Used it , like it and then bought a second- the Adidas version. I found I could only use one registered account per fit bit device. So to use the second device I would have to delete the first and register the second.  I was directed by customer support group to deal with this.The eventual answer was I could not use two devices.  This comes to my issue of the recall. On the recall form you can only request one refund for an Ionic. What can I do to get the second Ionic refunded? I have contacted customer support and was advised they would contact me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am not a Google/Fitbit team member. And...can not disagree with you.
Cheers.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

My replacement watch arrived today. I notice the spare strap was not with the watch even though I made sure to select this on my order. Do we know how the spare strap is despatched?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Question:  I just received my kit to return the Ionic.  Double checking to make sure that the wristband it to be removed.  It says not to ship accessories.  Second, it doesn't ask for any paperwork to be included.  How do will they know who the package is from? Thanks for any help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, 

I am not able to complete my recall registration. 

I am located in Bulgaria and I received Sedgwick Reference number. When I go to step 2 to disable the device and to verify the account, the correct country is selected, but I'm getting error "Reference Code not found". I had a chat with agent, he told me to wait one day. The code was sent on 02.03. I have tried ew more times. Today I had another chat with an agent, he advised me to cleanup the browser history and cookies, I tried again and the same issue appears, even if I add the ref# manually. The reply was again "try again later" .

Even when i try to register again on Home | Fitbit (expertinquiry.com), when i select a country, gear icon is showing and i cannot click on Register. 

I'm really not happy with the provided support. Advise how to proceed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My replacement arrived today too. I'd ordered two straps, and, like yours, they haven't arrived either. Must be coming separately. 

Best Answer

I am also in the UK and my link shows the price of a Fitbit Sense as £168. Not sure why post are saying that it is cheaper on ebay after the Fitbit discount (40%)

⁣-------------------

Best Answer