Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

It was quoted this

"We're the community forums and you need to get in touch with those who are handling the recall - click to go to the information page, with contact info. It's not a scam. I had a family member who got their refund in a few months time. Just keep trying to get with Fitbit at the contact info in the link I provided."

You guys don't understand that that is who I am contacting and they will not help me out.  They keep saying it is being reviewed!!!  They do NOT provide answers at all.

There has to be way "real" way of getting information on my refund.  This company they are using for processing refunds is a joke and a scam.  They are not helping out!!  I want a legitimate way to contact Fitbit and address the issue.

Best Answer

I’ve been waiting for 8 months now. They keep telling me the same thing. I’ve called at least 7 times and they keep telling me my case will be escalated to a supervisor. At this point I’m considering it to be theft. Fitbit asked for my Ionic back in exchange for a refund and now, no refund. I’ve even asked for my ionic back and to keep their refund. Haven’t heard a word from them!

Best Answer
That is exactly what they have been telling me too:):) That the case will
be escalated.

And what is bizarre to me is that I cannot escalate it any further. What I
am considering this to be is a scam/theft of my device. I did everything
they required of me to do and nothing....

And I cannot even escalate this to Fitbit because we are under the control
of this so-called company that Fitbit has put in charge of the refund
process. I am seriously wondering if this company is keeping the money for
themselves somehow as I cannot get any further with the process. And what
is irritating is that Fitbit keeps referring us to contact this company.
We have contacted the company over and over again, and WE CANNOT GET
ANYWHERE with them. Why dont they understand this.
Best Answer

Today, I contacted Fitbit customer service by phone, and the customer service clearly told me that the relevant departments have closed my case. I have been urging Fitbit to issue a refund since last year. Fitbit's initial response was to ask me to wait patiently for a refund, but from June this year, I was told that Fitbit could not verify my refund eligibility. Although I submitted my purchase certificate, Fitbit still insisted on refusing to refund and called me It is an illegal claim. However, I already received a refund from ionic last year, and there are still some ionic devices that have not received a refund. I asked Fitbit to provide evidence that I made an illegal claim, but Fitbit did not reply to me. This is ridiculous. I wasted 18 months waiting for a refund. fitbit is a liar! ! ! !

Best Answer

Hi, I am from. I know this offer 4 months back. but my watch died in 2020 Jan and I removed my device from the Fitbit account. Now when I connect for the refund page, it's asking to connect the device which is not possible. Any idea how to do the refund process from India.!!! Appreciate your help

Best Answer
0 Votes

My return went into "processing" April 3rd. I call once a month and get the same "escalating" run around every time.  Actually, the first time I called they said it was not an ionic. Ridiculous. As much as I miss the tracking I will not buy another FitBit device for myself or family member until they come through with the refund. Apple is becoming more of an option as time passes. 

Best Answer

I concur, @JMett .  While I did receive my refund quite a while ago and used my refund to purchase a pair of Charge 5 devices (a choice I regret), I've been extremely disappointed with Fitbit, so I've moved on to another company that understands that customers are important -- and have let all of my friends know the ugly truth regarding Fitbit.

Best Answer
Yep , my family and friends no longer buy Fitbit. I tell them my story
every time I get a chance. Luckily, after hounding them for months they
sent me not one but two refunds. Karma .
Best Answer

Wow. Sad to see this is still going on. While I did get my refund and that coupon, I chose to switch providers. While I do miss my ionic, I do not regret my choice to move on from Fitbit. This thread was what drove me to leave the platform.

Best Answer

Im still waiting give me my money back

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Hi CChow,

Have your case been solved. I am still looking for the solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To whom this may concern,

I have already finish the recall process. On 30 October 23, I receive the email, heading "fitbit ionic refund update" that say "

This payment represents your refund regarding your Fitbit Ionic device.

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿1,500 

LAZADA ฿250

LAZADA ฿250

LAZADA ฿250

LAZADA ฿250

LAZADA ฿250

LAZADA ฿250

An inactivity fee may apply. Please read the terms of use upon activation.".

I have tried so many times since 1 Nov 23. But it still shown "Your gift card is on its way, please allow up to 24 hours.". Even though in fact this has been 30 days already. What should I do with this? The support is very limited.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit should refund everyone who has registered a recall

Best Answer

I have made a refund request last year in nov and got money in March this year it takes time but they provide the amount

Best Answer

It has been a long time since March, enough for Fitbit to change their refund policy and become a hidden clause.

Best Answer

Can Fitbit issue a refund to me by communicating in the community? If not, what do I need to do? Is there a community manager who can explain this?

Best Answer

@Cn-hao, they could provide help with refunds in this thread, but they have chosen not to do that.  From what I can see, if your refund request flows through their system smoothly, you get it either within the time period they say, or shortly thereafter.  If your request runs into trouble for any reason and requires manual intervention to move it along, your odds of seeing the refund are slim.  It's their system, and they are happy with it, change is unlikely.  That's one of the reasons I've given up on Fitbit and moved to another company to provide me with fitness tracker products.  There are better choices out there.

Best Answer

Finally get voucher after 1 month. Can not expedite. Just wait and pray. Thanks all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@VMMage I completely agree, my refund process has been manually intervened. The hope of obtaining a refund is very slim and may have been identified as an illegal claim. So I need help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Almost been a year now! Waiting, waiting, and more waiting. Contacted them multiple times. Made posts on Facebook and via Facebook messenger with a very cookie cutter answer of them not being able to help me out and that they will escalate my case. 
Called again today and they told me that it states “Rejected Prior To Batch Approval”!

WTH does that even mean?!?!

Signed - Extremely Made No Longer A Fitbit Customer 

Best Answer