Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

I am in the U.S.A. and after almost 2 months of waiting I finally received the "IONIC REFUND UPDATE" email for my returned watch. I just had to return my watch pod only in the included envelope/box through UPS, which took 5 days for Sedwick to receive on October 23rd. When I returned my Ionic I took a picture of the pod on the return label, so I would have a record of the ID#, Event# and Sequence#.

IMG_6779.jpegtmp.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes
They make up reasons along the way and cannot be trusted.
Best Answer

If you only have one ionic smart watch, Fitbit's refund process will be smooth, but if you have multiple ionic smart watches like me, Fitbit will determine that you are making an illegal claim, just because you have multiple ionic smart watches. Even if you provide valid proof of purchase.

Best Answer

I own fitbit charge2, fitbit ionic, and fitbit charge5. I can’t believe that fitbit will think that I am making an illegal claim! ! They didn't even give me any evidence! !9203a871f5618c52b7fa86ae411bf2b.jpg

Best Answer

@Cn-hao Are you in the USA? I have filed a claim for 3 watches, but I only returned 2 to Sedgwick in Indianapolis, Indiana.  I am still using my fully functioning Ionic because it is my favorite watch. 

MY LAST IONICMY LAST IONIC

Best Answer

@OwnTooManyBits If I were in the United States, I might not be denied the refund

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nope I had one took 6 months of hassling them and was the furthest from
smooth.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm now waiting 1 year and 8 month. 20 Calls, 5 chats and still no refund...

Best Answer

Happy New Year, have you all received refunds? I didn't, it seems like Fitbit's refund process is so ridiculous now.

Best Answer

@Cn-hao, I doubt that "most people" have not received their refunds as there would be hundreds of thousands of complaints in this thread.  According to the CPSC, there were about 1 million Ionics in the United States and about 693 thousand outside the US.  While most refund programs get a low response rate, I suspect that this one has a high response rate because of the large refund amount.  It would be nice if Fitbit would share some numbers, but even if their system successfully refunded 95% of respondents, that would leave up to 84 thousand refunds that people are still trying to claim.

Best Answer

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I submitted a refund request, but Fitbit refused. When Fitbit submits refund data to CPSC, it will include me as one of their refund scores, and I have already submitted the refund, and my device has been disabled. But in reality, I did not receive a refund. This is deceiving. I think only 5% of people have received refunds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have received payment for both of my watches in about 2 months. 

IMG_7611.jpegIMG_7610.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hopefully they will be held accountable fir this negligence.
Best Answer

Going on 2 years.

Any intention to refund Fitbit?

Best Answer

Keep requesting updates!!!  After 2 LONG YEARS I finally got a refund!  I almost gave up but I kept contacting them over and over again, getting the same canned reply of "Your case was escalated to Fitbit's highest level of support, and we would be happy to continue assisting you with your Ionic refund....".  I kept every email and referenced each new email with all the old emails and the telephone call date and times.  Good luck! 

Best Answer

In the same boat.  I own 3 of them but only returned 2 of them and got the refunds.  It still works but I have since upgraded to a Sense which had syncing problems and now on to a Sense 2 which fixed them.  I do like Fitbit watches but it seems a lot of them run into serious issues with the exception of older models like Blaze.  To this day, my Blaze still works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there 

I have followed all of the steps regarding my ionic device here in South Africa. I have not recieved my refund to date. They keep asking me to call a foreign number as there are no customer service centre's here. 

I need assistance. 

Best Answer

2 years and 6 days and counting..... Still no refund for me either. I used to love my Fitbit products, after this they will never ever get another penny out of my pocket. 

Best Answer
If its been 2 years you’ve been burned off by them. Most drastic measures
are needed.
Best Answer

Same! Fitbit, gives us our money!!!!

Best Answer