Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in resting heart rate

ANSWERED

Hi,

I've been doing loads more exercise lately, and my resting heart rate has increased quite a lot. I thought it would go down? Or is this because my heart rate is generally higher due to the exercise so my resting heart rate seems higher? Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

One cause of an elevated resting heart rate is over training, and the heart is having problems recovering .

Best Answer

My Cardio Fitness is 40-44 and says that is "Excellent for women your age", however my resting heart rate in June average was 63bpm, so far in July it is 62bpm - overall it is an improvement, but on a weekly basis, it fluctuates from 61-64... I walk 5 miles a day (I stretch it out over 4x at approx. 1+ miles each workout) 7 days a week and meet my sleep goals approximately 4x per week - I have an old dog who occasionally needs attention during the night, which interrupts my sleep.

These aren't horrible numbers, but my ultimate goal is to reduce my heart rate to 58-60bpm... It is frustrating as I eat all organic foods, raw dairy, fermented food / drinks... everything comes directly from a farm community... I measure, weigh and log everything in MyFitnessPal - I am on a 1,628 day streak. My weight is fine at 123lbs, but I really want my heart rate more efficient. I feel like I'm doing all the right things, but still not making my goal. Before I got out of bed this morning, my resting bpm was 58, which made me happy, but as soon as I sync's my Alta HR, my resting heart rate showed 64, which is up from 61 on Sunday!! Grrrr

Best Answer

I guess I should have mentioned I smoke= I’m trying to quit but my normal RHR is 65-75 now (higher around 78 when I’m ovulating)

.. it was the supplement I wasn’t taking.. & also could of been due to the fact I run 1-3 miles a day on top of my normal body weight work outs so could of also been my body adapting to the newly implicated running.. 

thanks for the insight! 

Best Answer

Supplement I was taking 

(not wasn’t) sorry typo 

Best Answer
**** UPDATE ****

As it turned out, my husband & I both must have caught some odd virus that stuck around for a very long time.  He had the same issue, his lasted about 8 or 9 weeks.  Mine appeared to last about 12-16 weeks.
Thereafter, our resting heart rates returned to "normal."  Mine was ever so slightly elevated after all was said & done, which I attribute to having gained some weight back.  The good news is that when running, it is back to a "normal" peak, rather than a dangerously high peak.
The other trend I noticed is that I definitely experience a higher RHR based upon hormonal fluctuations with my cycle. . something I hadn't noticed before.
My husband & I both have the IONIC now & love it. 
Best Answer
**** UPDATE ****

As it turned out, my husband & I both must have caught some odd virus that stuck around for a very long time.  He had the same issue, his lasted about 8 or 9 weeks.  Mine appeared to last about 12-16 weeks.

Thereafter, our resting heart rates returned to "normal."  Mine was ever so slightly elevated after all was said & done, which I attribute to having gained some weight back.  The good news is that when running, it is back to a "normal" peak, rather than a dangerously high peak.

The other trend I noticed is that I definitely experience a higher RHR based upon hormonal fluctuations with my cycle. . something I hadn't noticed before.

My husband & I both have the IONIC now & love it. 
Best Answer

Yes mine is almost the same but my heart rate is higher! I’m generally in shape, well i kinda fell off recently due to having a kid and some stress but besides that I’m in shape lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I'm going through the same thing. I'm excercising 5/6 times a week with 45 minutes dedicated to cardio. Each session my goal is to be in my peak cardio zone for 80 percent of the time. Then I do 30 minutes of body weight excercises. I cut out alcohol and I don't consume processed sugars. My RHR dropped from 66 to 57 and then over the last week went back up to 63. Does any one have an explanation or advice? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few things that will affect resting heart rate are over training, lack of sleep, your period, pregnancy, health problems, anxioity....

Best Answer

Yes, searched why the RHB could be increasing as well with increased exercise. I think it may be a software or tracking glitch, seems like a lot of Fitbit users are experiencing it. I have a Versa and my sleep tracking is flawed as well. It isn’t uncommon that it shows I start sleeping 2 -3 hrs after I have fallen to sleep. Can’t really trust the information at times. 

Best Answer

@AGFB wrote:

Yes, searched why the RHB could be increasing as well with increased exercise. I think it may be a software or tracking glitch, seems like a lot of Fitbit users are experiencing it. I have a Versa and my sleep tracking is flawed as well. It isn’t uncommon that it shows I start sleeping 2 -3 hrs after I have fallen to sleep. Can’t really trust the information at times. 

I noticed my RHR increased last week.  I'm not sure if it's just the stress of Christmas or not.  Highest was 73 BPM whereas before, my RHR ranged anywhere from 66 to 69 on a "regular" week.  I don't think it's the software update (I have a Charge 3) because it was fine until a few days after I updated.  The only thing I did differently was a slightly different workout schedule (four days on the elliptical plus one with the trainer (two days off) rather than two elliptical workouts, one at barre, one day doing Essentrics, one with my trainer and two rest days)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Would like to know why? Here’s a pic of my increase....
Best Answer
0 Votes

No Pic is shown.

Best Answer
0 Votes
A lot of great information, thanks! I've always exercised regularly, but
have slightly increased the frequency by usually adding 1 more day a week
to my exercise regiment since buying the Versa. I thought my RHR would
actually decrease. I think I'm in a good zone anyway. I'm 62 and my RHR is
slowly increasing and went from 60 to about 65 over the last few weeks,
just thought the opposite would happen.
Thanks again for the links to the info!
Best Answer

Hi Jenna, mine always goes up every month in line with cycle, if it happens around once every 3 weeks it could be hormones affecting it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also concerned had my versa for just over one month. Here is this month and last 

I’m 32 healthy fit etc. no meds and no alcohol 

I actually work in the fitness industry 

mahbe this device is flawed E894F3AD-2424-48DD-904D-60C5AA2EB67C.png

F4F41974-D719-4C1E-BC34-ECC64419F368.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have seen the same. When I do my long runs, 90 plus minutes. My RHR does go up a little. This past week I haven’t exercised and my resting heart rate is lower. I would not stop exercise though unless the numbers are really out of whack. 

Best Answer
i found out from the dr that one reason your resting heart rate goes up is you are low on sodium in your body and deydrating
Best Answer

Can anyone explain this to me? I have a widely fluctuating heartbeat and I believe always have. For example, when I stand  up and walk around the house, it shoots up from 65 to 90. On fast walks along trails it has been known to hit 180 without my walking uphill to any degree but is usually around 115. All the docs I have seen (just MDs) say I am perfectly fit and exceptionally fit for a 67-year-old.  Fitbit agrees. (I went to Emergency one night with a racing heartbeat of 105 while seated. They gave me an EKG and sent me home. Here is my concern: when I am casually walking around the house, or even sitting, I am in “fat burning zone” and therefore cheating on the intensity of activity. Fitbit evidently sees me as doing some kind of exercise. Does anyone else have this problem?  Also, to keep with the topic, every few weeks my RHR climbs from 65 to 75 over a period of days. I have tracked absolutely everything and am not stressed. Nothing has changed. During these times I usually have insomnia, waking to a rapid heartbeat. I live alone. I am experiencing this right now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes