Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I've had my fitbit flex for a couple of weeks and yesterday was the first time I made it to 10,000 steps.  I was so close that I had to keep going to make the magical 10,000.  My question is how in the world do people do this every day?  I ran errands twice and took the long way both times then walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes just so I could make it.  My normal going out of my way to walk places ends up around 5000 then up to 7000 with excersise.  How do people claiming 20,000 steps a day have time to work or do anything else except walk.  I think I'm going to change my goal to 8,000.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I prefer to keep my Flex in my pocket during the day precisely because of this.  There are so many times where my arms aren't moving (walking the dog, hands in pocket, pushing shopping cart) and I was getting cheated out of my steps.

The main topic on how to get the 10K steps:

1. Walk the dog first thing in the morning gets me 2500

2. Take a 30 minute walk at noon gets me another 4500

3. Walk the dog before or after dinner might get me 2500

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

I don't know about 20,000 unless maybe they run for a little bit? When you're running it still logs those steps as well during exercise mode. I have a full-time job and take the bus to and from work. I'm able to accumulate about 1,000 steps just from walking to and from work. I have a full-time desk job, but so far I've been here since 8 am and it's now 2 pm and I have 4,029 steps. Granted, I often get up and move around to go to meetings or talk to other employees in other business units. I've hit about 10,000 steps every day last week and so far every day this week. After I come home from work, as long as the weather permits, I take my girls for a walk (they're 3-years-old and 5 months old.) Just from an hour walking around town I have no problem hitting 10,000.

Best Answer

However, I also have the fitbit Charge so I have an on-screen display and often check it to see have many steps I have taken so far. Having that visual on my wrist constantly motivates me to keep going.

Best Answer

Good for you for making it.  I too find that 'push' when getting close, within 8000 and want to make it to 1000.  Motivating for me.  20000 steps...only 1x at amusement park in Denver over the summer...lol...

Best Answer

Hello  I  work retail  and  I can  easily  do  10000 steps  in a day,  I  have  been  gone  from the fitbit  world  for a bit   due  to broke (water damage )  to my  flex  and  well   didn't  replace  til now.     My  average  day  would be 12000-14000     days  off  however  were 5000  if  that

Cheers   and keep on stepping

Best Answer

All activity counts.  Every time you move it records.  so take the stairs instead. Park in the last row of the parking lot. walk to the mail box every day. more activity the better. U can do it

Best Answer

I had almost 30,000 steps on Saturday. I was doing yard work all day, but I can do 10,000 steps a day most days without even trying. It's all in what your daily routine is like. If you sit at a desk all day for work it's going to be harder to hit those numbers. I actually do sit at a desk, most days, so I have to be aware and really work at getting 10,000 steps those days. For my active days I don't have to even try as previously stated. This is the beauty of fitbit. When you need an incentive and a little confirmation you're not moving enough it is just the tool to do it.

Best Answer

I aim for (unless sick) at least 5000 every day.  

Best Answer

I *usually* hit 10k steps a day. I hold a full-time desk job, so on weekdays I rely heavily on hitting the gym for those steps. I get about 1k steps from walking from my car to my desk, then another 1k after work. I'm lucky to even get 1k steps from walking around at work, as I'm pretty well chained to my computer. So, I hit the gym at lunch. I'm lucky in that the building I work in has a gym downstairs.

Today, for example, I ran 4 miles for about 6000 steps. Then, I topped it off with a 30 minute combo cardio/weights class, which earned me another 2000 steps. I hit my 10k steps at around 1:30 this afternoon.

On days when I do a cardio workout at the gym (step aerobics or running), I will hit my 10k without any issues. On weightlifting days, I usually have to either do a lot of yardwork when I get home or add in a run after work.

10,000 steps is definitely not an easy goal when you have a desk job, but it is doable!

Best Answer
1.3 miles train station to work
0.9 miles each way for lunch
1.3 miles work to train station
Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

I work in retail so the days that I work, it's usually pretty easy for me to hit 10,000 steps. Days that I get between 15k and 20k steps are days that I walk around the neighborhood for awhile. On a day that I hit 20k steps, I did an 8 mile walk around the neighborhood that took me about 2 and a half hours.

It all depends on your routine and what you do for steps. You can add in steps by parking farther or walking up and down aisles when you shop.

I've worked up to being able to do 20,000 steps in a day and have started walking more places. A new Walmart just went in about a mile from my house, so if I just need a couple smalls things I walk there instead of driving and wander around while I'm there so by the time I'm home, I've added about 5,000 steps just from that.

If 8,000 steps in a day is a more manageable goal for your right now, go for it! Not everyone works an active job or can go for long walks and that's okay. Over time, you'll probably figure out ways to add in more steps here and there.

Best Answer

I can usually get to 10000 quite easily. I walk around the block for about 40 minutes (4k)) and that works out to around 5500 and just usual living steps get me most of the rest. If I am short I jog up and down on the spot (on my imaginary treadmill as my husband says I don't need one) for 15 minutes or so when he has gone to bed. I can do the 70000 a week and my next goal is 77000.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a littl food for thought....I reach 10 000 steps almost everyday without too much effort (incidental plus half an hour of walking to exercise) however; while on a shopping holiday in Melbourne recently I walked for 5-6 hours each day and didn't reach 10 000 steps. I came to the asumption that because i was carrying shopping bags my arms weren't swinging enough to register my steps...? If my assumption is right, maybe you don't have alot of movement in your arms when you walk?

Best Answer
Maybe we should wear it around our ankles, lol
Best Answer

I prefer to keep my Flex in my pocket during the day precisely because of this.  There are so many times where my arms aren't moving (walking the dog, hands in pocket, pushing shopping cart) and I was getting cheated out of my steps.

The main topic on how to get the 10K steps:

1. Walk the dog first thing in the morning gets me 2500

2. Take a 30 minute walk at noon gets me another 4500

3. Walk the dog before or after dinner might get me 2500

Best Answer

I use the elliptical machine and a TV show on my tablet. 45 minute fast pace to medium pace is 5,000 steps. But if you want maxiumum effectiveness, see if your machine has what's called HeartRate Interval Training. Treadmill is killer to your knees which is why I use the Elliptical more than the Treadmill. Less impact on the climbs and speed requirement. A 30 minute run that way would be 5,000 steps as you speed up for the high HR and slow down for the low HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have to do what works for you.  For the people that say it's so easy to get to 10,000... good for them.  I saw someone that averages 70k steps a day?!  How in the hell is that possible?!  I work a desk job just shy of 80 hours a week, and typically put in 3-4k steps that way.   If I want my 10k, I have to work hard for it... I do a step aerobics video and walk several miles every night.  Do what works for you, not what works for someone else!  Good luck!!!

Best Answer

10K steps is not very hard. i wake up at around 5am, and start my walking at around 630am. we own a retail store, it is very small, so you can imagine i look a bit silly pacing back and forth all day. i usually reach 10K steps before lunch time.

during the days where i am not in the store, i make it a point to go around in circles around malls, parks and such to reach 10K steps. its a bit harder than just minding the store and pacing back and forth.

Best Answer
0 Votes

8 hour athletes. Training for the olympics. Non-desk job employees. They all can get 80k in one way or another.

Best Answer
0 Votes

mjanetd: I work at a desk and I make use of where I park, the stairs and my breaks and lunch. I drink a lot of water and that has me going to and from the bathroom often. Most days I leave work with 8400 steps. Those last few steps to 10K are spent running errands or like last night, I jogged in place to get those last 1200 steps. It worked up a sweat too. It is attainable, I think that you can figure out how you can fit it in. Put on the fitbit first thing in the morning because those steps running around the house to get ready are valuable. I can get 1000 steps between then and getting to work.

Best Answer