Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 weeks of hard work and NO weight loss. ready to give up

Im just about ready to give up. Im in my 6th week of working out 6x/wk. 60 mins cardio weights 2x week. Eating at a 500-700 cal deficit. THe quality of the food isnt perfect, but by no means am i scarfing down fried food and sweets. no eating after 8pm, drinking 90 oz of water/day. I feel firmer, clothes fit a little better, but NO weight loss. Im just so discouraged. the first week i lost 2 lbs(water im sure), then it came right back the next week and has not budged since. How the heck am i supposed to lose weight? seriously. NO results. Just so upsetting. I know how hard i am working.

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34
Your probably building muscle mass. Just a thought. Also, they say the last 5 pounds are the hardest (not sure it thats where your at).
Best Answer

How much do you want to lose?  And what are you eating?

Kind of hard to tell what's going on, though I do wonder if cardio for an hour at a time, 6 days a week is a bit much.  Unless you meant weights 2X a week and cardio 4X a week for a total of 6 workouts.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try interval training.  Cardio will not get you into the fat burning zone.  This is but one article.  Search around and you will find that much is changing with regard to hard cardio.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_with_interval_cardio.htm

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the same boat...I'm almost always "under budget" for the day on calories and I've actually gained a few pounds (I've been at it long enough that I can't blame it on muscle gain).  I don't have any advice for you, but didn't want you to feel alone! Hopefully you are feeling better by increasing excercise and it's important to remember that the scale isn't the only indicator of fitness, though I understand the frustration!

Best Answer
I'm eating eggs, veggies, small portions of brown rice, crackers, fruits, cottage cheese, beans, lentils, Ezekiel sprouted bread. Almonds, cup o coffee in the am..no food after 8 pm. A sweet treat twice a week. I'm working out 6x week. 4 days just cardio 60 mins-treadmill with incline cranked way up to 11 at 4 mph, or elliptical , 2 days I do 40 mins cardio and 20 mins free weights- arms, squats, dead lift..

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks a little high in carbs and low in fat and protein.  Just my opinion though.  And I still think the cardio is a little much, but others may see it differently.

If it were me, I add in some protein, maybe even a little good quality fat like avocados or something, and then switch out a day of cardio for another day of lifting.  So three days of lifting and three days of cardio.  The way I work it is 30-45 minutes of cardio after 30 minutes or so of lifting (not that my way is perfect, obviously) on the same day.  Added bonus: I only have to go to the gym 3-4 days a week and have 3-4 full recovery days for my body to rebuild.

FitBit One
Best Answer
Ok I will try to tweak my diet a lil bit . 30 mins cardio and lifting for 30 sounds good too.. I was heavier in the cardio since I really need to burn fat. But more muscle burns more fat so I will try that.
Thx
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Perhaps you should try a different way of measuring progress. As another post said, if you are gaining muscle, you may not see a drop right away on the scale. Try using a measuring tape to record progress instead. I measure once a week my natural waist, around the bellybutton, hips and the biggest part of my thigh. I too have not seen much difference on the scale, but am losing inches! 

Best Answer

I noticed you're missing Fruits and Veggies in your post above. You should look into having 1-3 fruits and as many veggies as you can consume.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@josephz2va wrote:

I noticed you're missing Fruits and Veggies in your post above. You should look into having 1-3 fruits and as many veggies as you can consume.

She did say she was eating them.

"I'm eating eggs, veggies, small portions of brown rice, crackers, fruits..."

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

@islandgirlkaren wrote:

I feel firmer, clothes fit a little better

This is a good result though... muscle weighs twice as much as fat and the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Trust how your clothes feel and keep a record of your measurements.

Allie
Best Answer

@islandgirlkaren wrote:
I'm eating eggs, veggies, small portions of brown rice, crackers, fruits, cottage cheese, beans, lentils, Ezekiel sprouted bread. Almonds, cup o coffee in the am..no food after 8 pm. A sweet treat twice a week. I'm working out 6x week. 4 days just cardio 60 mins-treadmill with incline cranked way up to 11 at 4 mph, or elliptical , 2 days I do 40 mins cardio and 20 mins free weights- arms, squats, dead lift..

Sent from my iPhone

I would lose the fruit, brown rice, crackers, cottage cheese, beans, lentils, and bread and replace them with a bit more protein (animal based if you eat it) and some healthy fats.

Best Answer

One pound is one pound no matter what it is - it's the volume/space that it takes up. 

You could easily hold a five pound rock in your hand. It would be much more difficult to hold five pounds of jello if sealded in ziploc bags. 

Best Answer

You say 'no resuts' but you feel firmer, your clothes fit a little better...... ignore the scale, and focus on that, because, at the end of the day, thats really your goal, not to meet some number of lbs. 

Best Answer
I used to get so discouraged also -until I bought the Fitbit Aria scale. What a difference it made!! I started walking and getting at least 20,000 steps a day and no weight loss BUT the fat percent kept going down. It definitely kept me motivated until the pounds started coming off. I've gone from 152
down to 125.4 in 3 months. I firmly believe the scale made all the difference!!
Best Answer

@islandgirlkaren wrote:

Im just about ready to give up. Im in my 6th week of working out 6x/wk. 60 mins cardio weights 2x week. Eating at a 500-700 cal deficit. THe quality of the food isnt perfect, but by no means am i scarfing down fried food and sweets. no eating after 8pm, drinking 90 oz of water/day. I feel firmer, clothes fit a little better, but NO weight loss. Im just so discouraged. the first week i lost 2 lbs(water im sure), then it came right back the next week and has not budged since. How the heck am i supposed to lose weight? seriously. NO results. Just so upsetting. I know how hard i am working.

hmm. you've got several approaches you can take

One great thing to try would probably be to start measuring body fat % and inches instead of pounds, if you're close to a healthy weight this will be a much, much better way to measure progress. If your body is close to, or in, a healthy weight range you should consider switching your goal from lose weight to lose fat.

also, bodies don't lose weight or fat on a 7 day cycle. if you're only weighing yourself once a week same time same day...you may be missing the days where you're a little lighter and weighing on days when you're heavier. one horribly inconvenient way to stop this would be to weigh yourself daily and average it. it's much, much easier to see weight loss by average. it's really inconvenient though, and if you have issues with the scale determining self worth it may not be the best route for you.

also, since you're a lady, 6 weeks puts you smack in the middle of where you were in your cycle when you started. I can't tell you how many times I've freaked out about extra lbs because I'm only weighing in weekly and I hit that week before my period and I'm bigger, and heavier, and it's like all this work I'm doing hasn't changed anything. it's like I have to see it on a calendar to remember, oh, right, so that's what's going on. maybe that's part of what you're facing.

you can try eating a little more.

if that is 6X weekly high intensity cardio...that's pretty stressful on the body and that cardio activity will need to be fueled. maybe try a 250-500 deficit. slooooow loss is better than no loss. carbs tend to be better for high cardio amounts, bumping your amounts from small servings to medium may help. also timing them to be prior to your workout helps from storing any extra.

you can try eating differently:

look at your micronutrient intake. are you low on iron or calcium, or potassium, or even trace things like manganese? I've found that if these are consistently low I can have trouble losing weight. you'll need a pretty varied diet to get it all, though it looks like you've got a great balanced diet. so I'd just check the calcium, iron, potassium.

check your protein amounts, there are several schools of thought on how much

--the US RDA is set at a minimum 0.8g per 2.2lbs of bodyweight

--international society of sports nutrition is set at 1.2-2.0g per 2.2 lbs bodyweight

--American dietetics association is 1.2-1.7 per 2.2 lbs of bodyweight

don't get tripped up at the *2.2 lbs* I put that in as lbs because we see grams of protein but measure in pounds. the formulas are written by kg (which is 2.2 lbs). some folks mix up kg body weight and lbs and will recommend grams of protein by pounds that can be 2x as much as needed.

you can try exercising differently

sometimes too much activity has the opposite effect. more is not always better. and if you're sedentary all day and then hit a 60 min high intensity cardio session and then flop on the couch for the rest of the night you aren't getting near the benefit you would be with 3 20 min workouts a day. and sometimes the body can hit a rut and become used to a specific routine and just..become acclimated there. for this you can try flipping your intense cardio and moderate lifting. do light-moderate lifting 5-6x week with three high intensity cardio sessions per week.

or you could try keeping the deficit but stepping down the activity

it could be you just need to taper. if you were training for a race, to build endurance and stop from hitting an overtraining injury at about 6-8 weeks you'd hit a taper period where you back down on intensity and duration and give the body a chance to heal up any little things before they become big problems. it's also good to do this when you're hitting cardio pretty hard for weeks on end after months or years of not really doing as much. frankly, make sure you get good rest. and that can mean take 2 days off a week instead of 1. rest is 1/3 of what your body needs to improve its condition: diet, activity, rest. rest is when your body build the muscle you've used during exercise.

but whatever you do, do not, do not, do not give up. despite the scale not moving you are having results, your clothing is loose, you feel tighter, stronger...even if your loss takes some time to show on the scale...you are changing your body the way you want. your hard work IS paying off and quitting now wont give you the opportunity to see if your body was *this* close to getting where you wanted it to be. and for sure, quitting definitely wont get it there.

Best Answer
Oh that is so awesome I want one
Best Answer
0 Votes

How did you do it? That is almost exactly my goal and you said you walked 20k steps but what else did you do to help achieve that? Also, I have been wondering if I should purchase the Aria. My goal right now is weight loss in 6months. But you've acheived my goal in 3 months!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gumdrop wrote:

check your protein amounts, there are several schools of thought on how much

--the US RDA is set at a minimum 0.8g per 2.2lbs of bodyweight

--international society of sports nutrition is set at 1.2-2.0g per 2.2 lbs bodyweight

--American dietetics association is 1.2-1.7 per 2.2 lbs of bodyweight

don't get tripped up at the *2.2 lbs* I put that in as lbs because we see grams of protein but measure in pounds. the formulas are written by kg (which is 2.2 lbs). some folks mix up kg body weight and lbs and will recommend grams of protein by pounds that can be 2x as much as needed..

I think it should be: 0.8 g of protein per *1* lb of bodyweight, 1.2-2.0g per *1* lb of bodyweight etc.

That’s the problem non-metric people have: mixing metric units (grams) that are commonly used in nutrition with non-metric units (pounds, stones etc.) that are commonly used for everything else, including bodyweight. 

I personally go by 1.8 to 2.1 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. Since I’m 66 kg, that’s between 116 and 138 grams of protein.

This would translate into 0.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. 66 kg = 145 lbs, so 0.8 to 1.2 also translates into 116-138 grams of protein.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes