Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any low carbers here??

ANSWERED
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂
Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156

I lost 25 lbs by keeping at 30 g carbs (or less) a day.  Read labels, eat lots of salads, cheese, meat, eggs.  I started by using a carb counter app on my phone and watching my numbers.  It really helps.  Carb Diet.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@EdinburghLass wrote:
thanks, that's helpful. So for someone who's never done it before would you say under 100g is a good figure? or should I start at 150g?

this depends on your personality type.  for me, i knew the best route would be to go for a lower number and to do it cold turkey.  i knew if i picked a higher number of grams, i would most likely slip back into old habits.  so, be completely honest with yourself when you're trying to determine this.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

@EdinburghLass wrote:
thanks, that's helpful. So for someone who's never done it before would you say under 100g is a good figure? or should I start at 150g?

this depends on your personality type.  for me, i knew the best route would be to go for a lower number and to do it cold turkey.  i knew if i picked a higher number of grams, i would most likely slip back into old habits.  so, be completely honest with yourself when you're trying to determine this.

Correct, but also important to remember that ketosis is pretty much induced only under 50g of carbs a day (although the benefits of a weight loss diet with low-carb can definitely be seen between 100-150 grams a day). Ketosis is debated as whether or not its truly critical to be in, but just something to consider.

Best Answer

yes maam an i am losign super excited 

Best Answer

Another update! Since my last post on Feb 25 (3 weeks ago) I have lost an additional 9 lbs. I am now at 258, and started at 306 back on January 3rd. I am 2 lbs shy of having lost 50 lbs!

Still doing a 20 gram low-carb high-fat diet, with more days pushing closer to 25 grams.

Anyone else having success? If not post here and maybe we can help each other out!

Best Answer

Congrats this diet does works! i am still on it 

Best Answer

success with low carb/keto here.  lost 102lbs over the course of a year.  have been maintaining my current weight (plus/minus 3 lbs) for 9 months now.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

success with low carb/keto here.  lost 102lbs over the course of a year.  have been maintaining my current weight (plus/minus 3 lbs) for 9 months now.

Congrats on the weight loss and the maintenance! Maintaining the weight surely is the hardest so good job! You might want to consider registering with the National Weight Control Registry (http://www.nwcr.ws)

They basically are following several thousand people that have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for 6+ months in hopes of understanding how its done as obviously it is one of the hardest problems to tackle in our society. It probably will keep you motivated too 🙂

Best Answer

thanks!  i think their criteria is 1 year maintenance, so i still have a wait a bit.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

thanks!  i think their criteria is 1 year maintenance, so i still have a wait a bit.

Awesome so that's another goal to shoot for 🙂 It's one of my long-term goals to join their study and I think their study will help motivate me to keep on track. Having learned so much about the evils of Sugar and particularly Fructose these last few months has made me want to avoid it for the rest of my life. Natural Whole Foods with no added sugars and no processing and lots of fiber is the way to go! For now though 20 grams of carbs it is for me 🙂

Best Answer

i've been on a low carb diet since january and have lost ten pounds. i was initially pescatarian, but i'm now introducing chicken and beef back into my diet. i generally feel more energetic on this diet, and i've had a lot less stomach problems cutting out carbs.

Best Answer

@kkthnxbii wrote:

i've been on a low carb diet since january and have lost ten pounds. i was initially pescatarian, but i'm now introducing chicken and beef back into my diet. i generally feel more energetic on this diet, and i've had a lot less stomach problems cutting out carbs.

Congrats! Yeah studies have shown that your insulin levels are directly correlated with your energy levels and how much "motivation" you have to exercise. So it makes sense that by cutting out Carbs we're lowering our Insulin and reversing our laziness epidemic and its awesome. I'm definitely motivated to work out now much more than I was before I started!

Best Answer
Between Jan. 19, 2014 and Nov. 2014 I lost 60 pounds with exercise and overhauling what I eat.
I started with riding a stationary bike 35-45 minutes per day while watching Netflix, that was my motivation. I added the fitbit in April.
I was a 4 Diet Pepsi a day kind of person. I stopped the soft drinks and now I only drink water.
Breakfast
About 1/2 cup of non fat Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup some sort of low fat, low sugar granola
lunch
Small leftover of either 1/2 of a chicken breast or another leftover protein from dinner the night before
Dinner
Grilled or baked fresh fish, chicken, turkey, hamburger patty, pork loin, steak
Very large salad
Grilled or roasted fresh veggies made with olive oil
I drink water all day and a cup of coffee in the AM any maybe one in the afternoon.

I do not miss sandwiches, bread, pizza, friend foods at all.
I exercise 45-75 minutes every day by walking or riding a bike.
Fortunately I am retired and I have time.
My cholesterol is now normal, blood sugar is normal, BMI is healthy range, I was able to stop taking one BP med and reduce the other dosage by 50%.
I consider my exercise and activity level as my new normal.
Best Answer

Great job! Keep up the good work!  I have been low carb (20-30g) since mid-October, lost nearly 30, wnat to drop at least 10 more.  I cut out wine, walk more, and eat lots of salad, eggs, protiens.  My Tito's vodka on the rocks is my "self medication" and works great!  I am nearly at my ideal weight at 55 years old, after putting on weight from a combination of a sedintary job, and injuries from a car accident 4 years ago.  I feel much better!

Best Answer

@Knowledge wrote:

@EdinburghLass wrote:
I'm vegetarian and wouldn't know where to start with low carb. Would it mainly be eggs and cheese and things like that?

Sent from Louisa'siPhone

Yes cheese and eggs! But you can also get more protein from Soy and Tofu and nuts. You can also eat lots of non-starchy vegetables. Also unsweetened soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. You can even fry your tofu if you like or marinate it in soy sauce, etc. There are lots of great healthy vegetarian friendly recipes on the Atkins website.

You should check this out:

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20

and

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/compare-plans

and

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/acceptable-foods-atkins-20-phase-1

and

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-2/acceptable-foods-atkins-20-phase-2

For low-carb really you can have lots of cheese (usually up to 3 oz a day) and a liberal amount of eggs (I eat 4-6 per day). I also have 1 or 2 oz of pistachios every day (these have 3-5 grams of net carbs so only eat them if you have the allowance for them). You can also have some berries but be careful as too many can get over the carb count so I try to avoid them as I get tempted too easily! You can have beans as well in moderation, but again watch the carb count.

Basically Phase 1 and Phase 2 of Atkins are the same, the only difference is Phase 1 is designed to jump start your weight loss so its really only for 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks you can add more foods from Phase 2, and at that point you can either increase your carbs to 50 grams a day or keep them at 20 grams with the additional food choices.

Personally I prefer to stay at the 20 grams because I lose a lot faster at this restriction, but you can lose a good amount staying under 50 grams a day if 20 is too restrictive for you, but it will be slower.

The Atkins Diet is deadly nonsense - it killed him, and has caused damage to many ...

Use mostly complex carbohydrates (as close to natural, grains, vegetables, fruit), and just enough

meat (the size of the palm of your hand, each day), and no refined sugars or other refined "junk".

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yarddog wrote:

The Atkins Diet is deadly nonsense - it killed him, and has caused damage to many ...

Use mostly complex carbohydrates (as close to natural, grains, vegetables, fruit), and just enough

meat (the size of the palm of your hand, each day), and no refined sugars or other refined "junk".

why do you feel the need to come into a thread specifically about low carb and preach your high carb ways?  what works for you, may not work for others.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

@carl669 wrote:

@yarddog wrote:

why do you feel the need to come into a thread specifically about low carb and preach your high carb ways?  what works for you, may not work for others.

I feel the need to correct any advice that is highly deleterious to anyone's health.

I do not "preach high carb", but rather high complex carb., which is sound medical advice.

Please don't continue to promote a fad that can cause severe health problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@carl669 wrote:

@yarddog wrote:

Please read some actual facts, not supositions, here:

http://www.quackwatch.com/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query=atkins+diet

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yarddog wrote:

@carl669 wrote:

@yarddog wrote:

I feel the need to correct any advice that is highly deleterious to anyone's health.

I do not "preach high carb", but rather high complex carb., which is sound medical advice.

Please don't continue to promote a fad that can cause severe health problems.

Atkins is not a "Fad diet". There has been extensive research on Ketosis being a healthy way of life. The fact is Carbs are the one nutrient our body does not need to survive. You can live perfectly well on 0 grams of Carbs per day but you will die if you eat 0 grams of Fat. I am not suggesting complex carbs are bad, in fact whole grains in moderation are good for you, including fruit, etc. But for many people who are insulin resistant, until you go under 50 grams of carbs per day (hence Ketosis) you will not lose weight.

I highly recommend you watch this lecture before you start spewing false information and I would be happy to debate it with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5-9ZxamXc

By the way, Dr. Atkins died from a coma after slipping on ice in Boston. The myth of him dying because of his own diet has been debunked many times. He died at the age of 73, a pretty old age in my opinion and would have probably lived well into his 90's had he not slipped on that fateful day.

Best Answer