Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any low carbers here??

ANSWERED
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, everybody,

I'm a Fitbit Flex newbie, but a long-time low-carber. Is there any way to convert my Flex from calorie-based to carb-based tracking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156

I'm aiming to be low carb after Christmas! I have a binge eating problem and I really feel it's connected to carbs/sugar cravings. I'm thinking that if the majority of my fitbit cals are from protein then it might help me to avoid binging. I've lost 18lbs but have 59lbs to go so I have to help myself to stop binging as that is what is ruining my efforts!

Maddison
Best Answer

Low carber here - but not so much for weight loss, but because of Diabetes.

Best Answer

I was over weight, hypothyroid and insulin resistant.  I use low carb primal menu to maintain a 98 lb weight loss.  

Best Answer

I'm Paleo, which is sort of low-carb.

I was very strict with low carb back in the late 90s (really, was it that long ago???) with Atkins and then Abs Diet (which is low-ish carb). Paleo just seems to be the easiest for me to follow. It feels instinctual. 

I look forward to hearing if you find out about the name thing. I don't mind my name, but I may want to change it too some day! (i'm in Ontario, BTW, in case you are too)

Best Answer
Low carber here. A smart doctor finally ordered the right tests and discovered I am gluten intollerant. I don't have cilliac disease. For me, gluten causes other digestive problems, as well as inflammation problems. I was VERY happy to discover, two weeks after going gluten free, that my cravings disappeared. It is wonderful! I follow a modified paleo diet now ... one fruit a day (have to watch my suger), all the veggies I want, and lean meat or vegetable protein. I eat no processed foods. What a difference it has made! I've lost 55 of the 75 lbs needed to get to my goal weight. And I feel wonderful! I'm even off all prescription drugs.

I've found it fairly easy to stay on this eating plan. The few times I've unintentionally strayed (hidden gluten), I got pretty sick. That is motivating enough to keep me on the right path!
Best Answer
I have not been able to find if you can change your user name. But will keep looking.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Does anyone know where I can find info on low carb?? I'm not thinking anything as strict as Atkins but one that's based on veggies and vegetable protein (I'm vegetarian) and eggs/dairy??
Maddison
Best Answer

@Carol-B:  I believe that you can't change your own user name via any preference settings.  However, I believe that a moderator can do it for you.  Hopefully one will spot your message and contact you privately to assist you.

Best Answer

Lost about 70 lbs when I dropped carbs earlier this year. Still working on it, had a couple small gains and plateaus when I fell off the wagon, but so far so good.

Best Answer
That's amazing Adam...how long did it take you to lose that much?? Were you doing a particular low carb diet or just cutting carbs as much as you could? Sorry for all questions but I'm not sure where to start with the low carb thing. I have really bad binge eating which I'm sure is related to a carb/sugar addiction so I really feel that low carb is the way to go.
Maddison
Best Answer
Here are some sites to check out. The first one is more Paleo related but Paleo only allows unprocessed carbs, and not many at that. You may find them interesting. I gathered a lot of info and recipes as I developed the eating plan that works for me. Google "low carb" online and start reading. But check with your doctor, to be safe.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/03/i-want-to-eat-paleo-but-i-dont-know.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279

http://www.dietdoctor.com/yes-a-low-carb-diet-greatly-lowers-your-insulin

There is one book that was a real eye opener for me: The end of overeating by David Kessler. I keep re-reading it because it makes me angry at what the food industry is doing to us with all these processed foods ... and the anger keeps me eating the right foods.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKJNA/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Sorry if I rambled on here.
Best Answer
Thank you so much Carol. That's really helpful. I will have a look at those links. Much appreciated xx
Maddison
Best Answer

Im a Low Carb Eater - I have been a large person most of my life and even resorted to having a lap band put in in 2006.. I had it removed in 2011 as it didnt work for me .

I started the Bodytrim program - (low carb) and lost 35kg with maintaining the easy eating plan and 10000 steps a day..

I have just had a baby and Im now ready to get back on track with the low carb program and my fitbit flex I can log everything and makesure Im hitting the 10000 steps a day.

I recommend it to anyone - I do to run along the Paleo guidlines as well and the ONLY form of oil/fat i choose to add or cook with is Coconut Oil -  Merry Xmas and Safe New Year 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll Just add too that Bodytrim if is Low Fat aswell as many of the low carb diets are high in fats and saturated fats ..:-)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, I'll have a look at that one...starting after Christmas I think 😉
Maddison
Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner ,

I've been toying with Primal/Paleo for some time, yet cannot get on it and stay on it. What's your best tip to start? This time of year is brutal!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EdinburghLass  A great resource for low carbing is lowcarbfriends.com. A great community and tons of advice and information.

Best Answer
Thanks, I'll have a look at that xx
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Deborah! I would not want to start a diet right now. No sense setting yourself up for failure. But perhaps after New Year's? I started mine last February, two days before my birthday. My thinking was this -- I ate all I wanted for the holiday but rather than looking at my birthday as another excuse to over eat, I took it as a new beginning. Pick your own "independence" day, then keep posting. We will cheer you on!

Word of warning-- the first two weeks were brutal. I still had all the cravings and my whole system was out of whack. But I hung in. After those first two weeks, I was amazed at how much better I felt! I even got off my arthritis Meds. Mind you, it was not cured. Not by a long shot. But without the gluten, my inflammation decreased to a point where I was able to stop the Celebrex yet still maintain the same level of pain management. My doctors were very happy. They were worried about the long term effect of Celebrex on my heart.

Good luck with your efforts! Slow and steady. One step at a time. You can do it! We're here for you. As others have said on these boards ... Celebrate the tortoise. He was the one who won the race, after all.
Best Answer