Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any low carbers here??

ANSWERED
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂
Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156

Thanks for all the great Links!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, Cande.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ontario wrote:
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂

Hey! I'm not low-carb (since I focus on fruits, veggies and white meat/fish lean proteins), but I am low-starch and avoid potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc.

I'm also lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive.

I just got a Force for myself and my BF for christmas and am super excited to use it. I've been looking for a tracking device that also does sleep, works with My Fitness Pal (it has better food-tracking and goal customization), AND is a watch.

I'm very excited to get started!

Best Answer

hi! 

I am new to fitbit!  I just got this as a Christmas gift and I hope it helps me to get back on track.

2 years ago, I lost 44 lbs. on the South Beach Diet.  I have since gained back 30 of that. 

I am going back on SB after today.  I am a member of Planet Fitness so I am really excited to use my fitbit!

Best Answer

Hello all!!! i got this Fitbit for Christmas.. I have been low carb for years and started Paleo last christmas. I feel better but am having some difficulty losing weight and keeping it off.. my guess is that i need to keep track of what i am eating so hopefully this will help!!! looking forward to a great year!

Best Answer

Easiest and best way to go low carb is to ditch ALL grains.  I quit eating anything with wheat in it two years ago right after I read Dr. William Davis's book "Wheat Belly."  since then another doc has published a book ... Dr. David Perlmutter's "Grain Brain."  If you're looking for a reason to drop carbs down, these books will certainly give you a reason to drop the grains.

Re: low carb, over the past year I have found that it's possible for me (anyway) to go TOO low.  If I don't eat enough carbs (say minimum of about 70 grams per day) my morning fasting blood glucose level can shoot up to as high as 185. When I get enough it will drop down to the 80's.

I did a bit of asking and reading and found that when you don't ingest ENOUGH carbs (i.e. veggies and/or fruits) your liver goes to work churning out glucose.  It's called gluconeogenesis  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis).

So I have to really watch to make sure I eat enough carbs.  And no, I'm not losing weight.  Since I got my fitbit flex I have had to face the ugly truth that sitting on my backside results in weight gain if I go over 1200 calories a day.

OH WAIT!  That was the whole point of the fitbit, right? LOL.  Hubby got me the Aria for christmas and it's all set and ready to go.  Lovely gift until I stepped on it.  gack!!!!!  

Best Answer

DarleenMB, I feel your pain about the scale. I am house sitting for friends right now, and I was annoyed to find that their scale weighs me as 2 pounds less than mine does, consistently. Especially since we are all very active and mildly competitive about our fitness! 

I am resisting the Grinchy ugre to swap scales with them. 🙂

Best Answer

Do you have the Aria?  I was hesitant about asking for it because it's fair to partly pricey.  BUT.  Like the Flex it sends all the info to my dashboard.  I am quite impressed with it!  Now to make the numbers go DOWN.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No I don't. I keep thinking about it because I want my badges but it's really expensive. Does it do anything else other than send your weight to fitbit?? Eg does it do BMI, body fat etc?
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

EdinburghLass ... yes it does measure BMI (or computes it based on your input, I'm not sure which.).

It will also keep track of up to 7 other people if you want it too.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, I don't use an Aria. I have a Taylor USA scale. They DON"T send my data anywhere, which is exactly what I want. 🙂 But they do the BMI and the body fat % through electrical impedance.

Best Answer

I have lived the low carb lifestyle for over 7 years. I did gain a bit weight recently becasue I was eating way too many carbs. It's easy fall back into old habits. But I am back to eating very few carbs. Already down 8lbs in just three weeks. I do not eat any sugary snacks, no starches like potatos, and no bread or pasta. I do eat a lot of protein and fat. (no trans-fat)

Best Answer

Today,  I finished Gary Taubes'  "Why we get fat" and highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in restricting carbs. Taubes is a science writer with revolutionary thoughts and an entertaining style.

May the Force be with you. Han Solo
Best Answer
Thanks! I have actually read Gary Taubs' book "Good Calorie Bad Calorie". It is a difficult book to read if you are not used to scientific type writing. It's not meant to be entertaining.
I highly recommend you read that one next.
The things he brings to your attention upset me because we have been lied to for years.
There is a new book called "Grain Brain" written by a neurologist that is saying the same thing. We have been lied to. Fat is. To our enemy. Sugar is.

Linda Holder
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Low carb is the way to go. I lost 30kgs last year by changing my former lifestyle to a low carb one 

Best Answer

I need to start a low carb eating plan.  My last blood work showed that I was dangerously close to being diabetic.  I have been hypoglycemic for yeas and was told that I could turn diabetic if not careful with my diet.  Well, I guess I wasn't very careful.  Oh my cravings are not going to like this.  I have a chocolate thing, a soda thing, and muffin thing.  I need to lose at least 30 pounds and keep those carbs down at the same time.  So, I'm asking you all that are low carbers to help me out stay true.

Thanking you in advance.

Best Answer

My wife and I started "The Metabolism Miracle" diet http://www.amazon.com/Metabolism-Miracle-Regain-Control-Permanently/dp/0738213861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books...  about ten weeks ago.  I've lost 35 pounds, but more importantly (for me) I've gone from size 48 pants to size 42.  Although I haven't checked my A1C during this time, my random fasting blood sugar readings seem to have dropped from 100-105 eleven weeks ago to 90-94 now.  Not sure if the blood glucose reduction is more diet, or exercise.  Probably both.

Without going into a lot of detail, this diet starts as a low carber, but after eight weeks we add back small amounts of carbs to each meal.  Another part of the diet is that we MUST eat every five hours to keep the metabolism working.  I even get up around 3AM to have a snack! (yea, strange!)

Of course diet and exercise go together.  I try to walk for 45-60 minutes once or twice a day.  I try to do my walks 30-60 minutes after meals.  This is working for me, but my wife only walks 4-5 times a week and is loosing, but not nearly as much as me.  I think women usually have a harder time loosing anyway 😞

Good luck.

Craig

Best Answer

I have been trying a low card diet for the last month and have only lost about 6 lbs.  Looking for good low card recipes which will give me some variety in my diet.  Any suggestions for good books or websites (preferably free). Also, any tips??

Best Answer

you may want to try Pratical Paleo (book) or there are plenty of facebook groups you can join like balanced bites, just eat right food 

Best Answer

My wife has found some nice things at http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/beginners.html

Our current problem is that we have to be sure to get enough carbs every five hours.  We are suspose to take 11-20 net carbs (carbs minus fiber = net carbs).

Bread can be a killer when trying to limit carbs.  We've ordered really low carb bread items a few times from http://www.shop.greatlowcarb.com  EXPENSIVE, and small slices, but I understand the items are truely low carb.

We've made muffins using flaxseed meal and almond flour instead of normal wheat flour.  We eat more low carb tortillas than bread now.

Craig

Best Answer