Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any low carbers here??

ANSWERED
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂
Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156
You can do it, Suzy! Diabetes is a serious disease. Handle it one day at a time ... one craving at a time. Sometimes I have to handle it one hour at a time. I tell myself that if I really want it, I'll want it in an hour. By time an hour is over, I've forgotten about it. And -- I never thought I would actually say something like this and really mean it -- but when the cravings get too bad, I hit the tread mill, even if only for 10/15 minutes. Now, I find myself craving "just a few steps" when I feel out of sorts. You can do this!
Best Answer
Unfortunately, yesterday it hit me while driving away from home so I stopped and got the chocolate bar. I’m really bad.
Best Answer

Suzy, don't get too down on yourself. Get some sugar free chocolate for when the cravings get strong. Bake with coco powder in the low carb baked goods. It is the added sugar that makes chocolate a problem food, not the chocolate proper. 

Chocolate is one of my weaknesses too, AND I can plan for and control this. 🙂

Best Answer

I am giving my best to be a low carber. Had good success in the past but it is incedibly hard for me. After 2 days of no carbs I could litterally kill for an apple. I am trying to eat as few carbs as possible. For me that means no big plate of pasta and no sweets, otherwise I am trying to stay below the 100 grams carbs line of fatness. 😉

Best Answer

Yes, the first few days going low carb can cause "problems"  🙂  When my wife and I started our current diet in September we snapped at each other a few times the first few days.  Luckily, we both knew this could / would happen and we made it through still married 🙂

Craig

Best Answer

Congratulations on your good and stable relationship. For many people losing weight is probably the hardest task of their lives. 

The FitBit system makes it a little bit easier. (I hope). 

Good luck to all of you.

Best Answer

I'm actually wondering if I may be over doing it with the FitBit?  I put it on for the first time on 12-26-13 and have logged 52 miles (112,000 steps) in about 4 1/2 days.  I'm walking 45 - 60 minutes after the three meals, and 15 - 20 minutes just prior to bed.  I'm wondering if my brain might be telling my body:  "Whoa, better store some fat incase this guy desides to go for another walk!"

If I could just avoid sitting on the sofa all evening, I'm sure that would help!

Best Answer

This effect will most likely be there at first. Whenever I try to lose weight I normally gain weight the first two weeks. The trick is to let the body know that this is a whole new lifestyle and it is here to stay. 

Sounds to me that you are overdoing it a little bit CraigM. It is not a race you know.... 

Best Answer

This is a pretty common phenomenon. Well, a couple of them!

First, being an over zealous beginner with your new fitbit toy! I wouldn't worry about that. I did the same thing my first week out. We are all having fun with our fitbit toys!

What you are describing is what long distance hikers frequently report. They eat about same number of calories during their first week out as they do at home yet don't lose weight. Meanwhile they are walking 15 to 20 miles a day. As the weeks wear on (maybe they are hiking the entire Pacific Crest or Applachian trail) they get hungrier and skinnier, and need to eat a lot more calories. Our bodies recognize a "migration" march and so tend to protect our fat reserves for a more serious situation.

If we were horses, we would be called "easy keepers" ... animals that maintain their body weight without a lot of feed!

Best Answer

Learning the low carb rules. Since the word low must mean some...which ones and how many. They say the devil is in the details. If you restrict carbs doesn't that mean you increase fats and proteins? Meanwhile I am putting my compulsive self in the "Fitbit mode".  Increased exercise brings increased appetite do the same rules apply. Every answer seems to bring two more questions...this is alot like adolescence.  🙂 

May the Force be with you. Han Solo
Best Answer

@tallson 

My first suggestion to you is pick a low carb diet you like the sound of and do research on it. It doesn't matter if you chose Paelo, Atkins, Carb Back-Loading or some other, read about it.

Low carb usually means less than 60-100g of carbs a day, ultra low carb means less than 30 grams of carbs a day. Most low carb diets ignore the tiny amount of carbs that come from fresh green veggies and are concerned about reducing the carbs that come from refined grains and sugars. Fruit is high in carbs, but each diet has different recomendations about fruit to eat, and some of them, when to eat fruit.

Yes, if you are reducing carbs and eating the same number of daily calories, you are increasing your percentage of fat and protein. Again, read up on this and see why people who follow these diets are ok with this.

Best Answer

@tallson wrote:

Meanwhile I am putting my compulsive self in the "Fitbit mode".  Increased exercise brings increased appetite do the same rules apply. Every answer seems to bring two more questions...this is alot like adolescence.  🙂 

You may want to have a look at the free 5-video course from Precision Nutrition mentioned in the following post of mine:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Weight-Loss/Precision-Nutrition/m-p/37793#M1058

I think it addresses several of your questions in a concise and easy-to-understand manner. I've been in "Fitbit mode" myself for nine months, with great success, but I still learned a few important things from that short course.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hello Tallson - happy new year!

We never really outgrow adolescence, do we?

Low carb is a very active area of research driven by the world's obesity epidemic. Much of the new research points back to a decision in the 1970s to tell Americans (and the rest of the world for that matter) that dietary fat was the source of all medical ills, and it should be restricted. This policy was based on very sparse and contradictory findings. But we believed it. The food industry loaded the shelves with low fat and nonfat products made palatable with extra sugar. In turn, the USDA released the food pyramid, telling us to primarily eat bread, cereal, flour and pasta. It also gave sugar the designation "harmless" except for cavities and the risk of overeating the sweet stuff which might result in excess calories.

This combination - low fat and high carb public nutritional policy - may have been absolutely deadly for public health and the source of the obesity epidemic.

Sugar is one half fructose, and excess dietary carbs also convert to fructose. When fructose arrives in the digestive track, it is are sent directly to the liver and processed like alcohol, where it is largely converted to triglycerides which are then released into the blood stream, or stored in the liver to cause fatty liver disease. Sugar is now highly associated with heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, obesity, liver disease, a particular type of dementia (not Alzheimers), and other metabolic disorders. For years, nutrition researchers could not get funding to investigate sugar and carbs. The belief that fat and salt were to blame were so entrenched that nearly all the mainstream funding went that direction.

New research is putting public health policy in a tailspin. Sugar is coming out as the bad guy.  Google "What if it was all a big fat lie?" for an investigative report on how poor public health research and policy has been during our lifetimes. 

So what does this mean to you and me?

I believe the research is compelling but still tenuous. I have decided to at least give it a try. Lord knows I've tried everything else. My husband also got a prediabetes diagnosis (after years of very low fat dining) and his cardiologist put him on a low carb high fat diet. He isn't counting any calories and is losing weight and waist circumference. He is also eating all those forbidden fatty foods he avoided over the past four decades: butter, rich cheese, avocado, chicken skin, etc.  If you want to do what he is doing, google "Low Carb High Fat." Those rules are pretty simple.

I'm a data geek so I want to know what I'm putting in my body. My rules are a little more complicated.

First, I record everything I eat. Men aren't inclined to do this but we women have done it so many times we could do it upside down and blindfolded.

Each day I try to take in 60 to 80 grams of protein. That is  based on my gender, lean body weight, and activity level. Google "grams protein calculator" to find out how much protein you need. If you don't get adequate protein your weight loss strategy will attack muscle and you want it to attack fat instead. Men usually need more protein than women so don't use my gram values. Good sources of protein include meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts, seeds, etc. Grass fed and organic are labels that will keep you away from some toxic chemicals often used in food production.

I take in about the same number of carbs (again, about 60 to 80 grams), mostly coming from plants, and mostly above-ground plants like sweet peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, celery, pea pods, green beans, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, and cabbage. These represent the bulk of my diet. I limit (but take in small amounts) starchy carbs like dry beans, carrots, onions, and pumpkin. I allow myself a half cup serving of berries every couple days, but no other sugary fruits at this time. It doesn't take much of these starchy or naturally sweet items to give me a lot of carbs so I don't eat them every day.

To fill out my approximate 1400 calorie restricted diet (I am trying to lose weight) the rest of my calories are fat. I get most fat from the protein sources (meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, etc) but some is added fat such as cream, butter, and olive oil. I haven't converted to coconut oil but there is a big movement to do so. I don't understand it yet and until then I'm using olive oil. The great thing about dietary fat is how much it calms the digestive system and yields feelings of fullness. I don't have heartburn any more.

I also try to get about 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day, which isn't easy. Nuts and beans do well but veggies are disappointing low in in fiber.

All this calculating is intended to give me a balanced diet for healthy muscles and weight loss. I lost 11 pounds in 7 weeks and have about 12 pounds to go to return to "normal" weight range. My husband isn't working nearly as hard at it as I am (no calorie counting and about 1/4 the fitbit steps I do a day)  but he has lost almost a pound a week. So you can approach the rules in gory detail as I have, or relax and follow a simpler set of rules associated with low carb, high fat diets.

I apologize for such a long post, but some of this is for me, as I keep trying to make sense of how nutrition informatio has changed recently. I have intended to eat healthy most of my life, and to feed my family healthy foods. I am still "rewriting" my personal nutritional narrative.  

Best Answer

Nice (and informative!) post. Thanks! New here, but not to LC.  Started trying to 'eat clean' last year but felt that allowed too many grains. Then went to Paleo. I agree with most of it but feel it allows too much sugar (honey and maple syrup).   So now I'm trying my own thing, somewhere in the middle of LC and Paleo. I still eat dairy and some beans but want to keep it clean, grainfree and sugarfree. Hoping I can get back on track and incorporate some exercise with the help of the fitbit.

Best Answer
I am a low carber using Paleo. I lost 20 pounds on it and looking to lose another 40. I have tried every diet out there and this one is the one that works for me. Have never felt better. I am in Ontario.
Best Answer

I also found your lengthy post on Low carb / high fat eating extremely informative. Thank you!

I'm exactly halfway through an "8-week (Crossfit) paleo challenge" after 15 months of having eliminated "common" crap from my diet: candy, cookies, crackers, pastries, desserts, added sugar and sugary drinks, chips of all kinds and my everynight glass of Scotch. That gave me the weightloss I wanted, but the paleo challenge is a new "Adventure" (no bread, pasta, white potatoes, grains). Doing it as pure challenge, not for weightloss. The greatest part of it is discovering great new foods! Kale? Beets? Okra? (and many others!) . I'm quite surprised they allow so much sugar too-- honey, maple syrup, agave necter, as those things just don't have appeal to me anymore.

So keep us posted on your findings. They're very helpful!

By the way, I don't like writing down what I eat-- I've never seen the point. Though I do keep a "Reverse Food Journal" of anything I eat that is on my "Avoid" list. In my first 12 months of my plan I only had 17 total entries, that's only a little more than one per month. It worked for me, and I know that what works for me isn't necessarily right for someone else.

Best Answer

low carber here using LCHF.  lost about 73 lbs in the last 7 months.  only 24 left until i hit my target weight.  woohoo!!

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Carl:  Sounds like we are about the same, but you've done a little better than me.

I was 320 pounds last July and stepped on the scale this morning showing 260.  I think I'll be happy if I can just break below 200!

Got my FitBit for Christmas and have been trying to get 20K steps each day.  I think I've made the 20K, but might fall short today because I had dental work done this morning and didn't feel like going out until this afternoon (9.4K steps done so far).

Craig

Best Answer
Good for you Craig. I am impressed with the weight loss and the number of steps you get in every day. I am just working towards 10K per day and having a hard time.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I really like low carb. Staying gluten free makes a big difference in how I feel. I recommitted a few days ago to my diet - now time to ramp up the exercise
Best Answer