Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any low carbers here??

ANSWERED
Hi all, I've been low carbing for a few years now and so far have lost 30 lbs and I have 30 lb to get to my goal. Any low carbers here? I just got the Force and while I'm still trying to figure it out I think it'll be the motivational boost I'm looking for to get me to my goal. By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my user name from "ontario" to my name? Thanks 🙂
Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156

I am on the HCG hormone diet that is very low carb. It is 125 units injected every day for 40 days.  But the first two days you have to eat like a pig and stuff your face at all the buffets you can find...  Sort of weird, but if you don't then you won't lose as much as you could.  I must have gain 3 lbs easy during those days, but at the end of the first week I as 6 lbs. lighter than before the 1st day.  I was weighed in the doctors office each time and I had a BodPod measure measurement on the firt day as well, before I started the program.  I am having the BodPod, which is exremely accurate body composition measurement, done every 2 weeks.  I want to see how much Fat to muscle I am losing.    The food is very low carbs and very low calories, but I am not hungry or have terrible cravings.  It is all supervised by a doctor, a nutritionist and an athletic trainer of elite athletes.  All say this is the fastest way to lose 20 - 30 lbs of body fat in a healthy way to jump start a life style change to healthy eating.  

So you know, I started at 244 with 71 lbs. of fat on me and 153 lbs. of lean muslce at 6'1" 

Jimmy
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have to say, Jimmy, the part about "stuffing your face at all the buffets" does not sound healthy. I'm glad you are under the care of a doctor, etc. That seems to be the most important thing for any of us who are trying to slim down.
Best Answer
Isn't taking HCG bad for you? It seems strange to be taking a hormone that is produced by a foetus. Does this not affect your cycle as a woman? Surely if you are taking HCG your body will think it is pregnant and stop your periods? It's this hormone that signals to the body to stop ovulating as a pregnancy is developing. Just seems a bit wrong to be messing with these hormones...goodness knows what the body thinks if you are a man and taking pregnancy hormone! Confused.com!!
Maddison
Best Answer

Low carb here too. I am following Carb Back Loading. It is helping me shed body fat without losing muscle, and is very satisfying.

Best Answer

Hi Pope705

I haven't found out how to change my user name yet but I'm hoping for an answer.  Yes I'm from Ontario too.

All the best on the Paleo diet, I've heard good things about it.  

Keep it up during the holidays 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've never heard of Carb Back loading.  I'll have to read up on that,  thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - I'm a low carber, mostly LCHF (low carb, high fat, moderate protein).  I've given up grains completely and eat mostly greens, poultry, salmon and good fats (avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, almonds, walnuts).  I rarely eat fruit, and avoid sugar as much as possible.  I can say that I feel great eating this way, but I'm still eating too many calories!  So my goal after New Year's is to cut way back on the intake to get the scale moving again...

*** fitbit one ~ 45 lbs. to go ***
@River61_NYC on Twitter
Best Answer

I'm doing the ketogentic low carb.  So far so good.  

Suz

Best Answer

+ Edinburgh Lass

Low carb high fat (LCHF) will work very well for you since you allow dairy in your vegetarian diet. Just google "LCHF Vegetarian" for lots of good discussion.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Jami, I'll have a look. Is the 'high fat' part of it unhealthy? Well, I'm 5st overweight so that's unhealthy so I'm sure it will be fine!! I've been reading about lots of the low carb plans and many of them seem to be very high fat. Is this OK?
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

High Fat/Low carb is only unhealthy if you make it unhealthy by eating the wrong type of foods.  Eggs, nuts, olive oil, salmon and tuna are examples of healthy fats.  You'll want to stay away from processed foods and man made oils, but that's the best thing to do

Best Answer
Oh OK thanks. That makes sense. I'll have a look into it xx
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a lot of recent research that the primary problem with "low fat" processed foods is because they greatly increased sugar content to make them palatable. For example I have a carton of Organic Butternut Squash Soup in front of me, purchased at a health food store. A one-cup serving (250 ml) has 7 grams (about 1.75 tsp or 9 ml) of sugar. If I ate one serving (only 90 calories) of this soup, I would take in almost 1/3 of my total daily allowance of sugar, according to the American Heart Association. Sugar is highly implicated in the modern obesity epidemic because half of the molecule readily converts to fat, and the modern diet has become highly sweetened. Sugar also blocks fullness signals to the brain, so you end up feeling very hungry after a meal, or eating more than you need.

However if that soup had no added sugar and more fat in it, such as heavy cream, it would be more palatable to begin with, would be more filling, and would stimulate a sense of fullness. I feel much more satiated on a somewhat higher fat diet, even though my total calories are about the same or less than a weight reduction diet that includes sweetened foods.

I still restrict calories, but my balance is closer to 60% fat, 20% protein, and 20% carbs from non-sugary sources. That is based on calorie count not volume. The greatest volume in my diet comes from relatively low calorie above-ground, low starch veggies. I had 25 pounds to lose and lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks. I also exercise like a maniac (7 to 12 miles daily) but you do too.

Many nutritionists are on board with low carb so you might ask about. Some countries are more low-carb than others. Here is a public health article about how Sweden converted to low carb ... http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2012/01/19/is-sweden-leading-other-countries-to-give-up-carbs.htm.

I hope I have not replied too technically, but the science is out there to say our low fat, sweetened diet has been very destructive to public health.

Best Answer
Thanks. That's interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that x
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you take into consideration net carbs?  I want to believe fiber negates carbs, but I feel like I'm cheating when I do. Smiley Happy

Right now I'm trying to stay at 10% carbs  65% fats and 25% protein. 

Thanks,

suz

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good point, Suz.

No, I did not calculate in net carbs. According to the diabetes educators at our hospital (they are pro low carb) the calculation is for every 2 grams of dietary fiber, subtract out 1 gram of carb for net carbs.  In other words, subtract out from carbs grams half of the fiber grams to get net carbs. Is that the calculation you use? I usually eat 20 to 30 grams of fiber a day - I am supposed to take in 21 grams of fiber a day but it's hard to achieve on calorie restricted diet - but at that rate I could subtract 10 to 15 carb calories. I don't think it would put me down to 10% carbs like you, but closer to your percentages.  Beans (such as pinto) are one starchy food I kept in my diet. They have great protein and fiber but the net carb count on 1/2 cup serving is still about 25 grams. So its a bit high. I don't have diabetes so unless I have to cut that out, I am keeping beans in for awhile.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No Jami I don't use net carbs.  The way I was always told was just one gram of fiber subtracts one gram of carb.  I woud think the diabetes educators would know more than what I have read online.  As for grams I try to stay 20 or less on carbs.  I am eating spinach, cabbage, and broccoli  simply because I really like those 3 items.  I too am counting calories so my LCHF diet is not a free for all on claories as it was done by many years ago.  I also keep to the good fats.  Walnuts, avacado, olive oil, salmon to name a few.  

Thanks for the info.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you'll have better commitment if you don't wait to start until "after Christmas." Starting NOW is the better plan, I promise you. You'll be much better able to make the commitment, and the Christmas Day meals will be more fun. Good luck.

Best Answer

Great post, Carole,

Keep at it!

You're an inspiration!

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Low carber here. A smart doctor finally ordered the right tests and discovered I am gluten intollerant. I don't have cilliac disease. For me, gluten causes other digestive problems, as well as inflammation problems. I was VERY happy to discover, two weeks after going gluten free, that my cravings disappeared. It is wonderful! I follow a modified paleo diet now ... one fruit a day (have to watch my suger), all the veggies I want, and lean meat or vegetable protein. I eat no processed foods. What a difference it has made! I've lost 55 of the 75 lbs needed to get to my goal weight. And I feel wonderful! I'm even off all prescription drugs.

I've found it fairly easy to stay on this eating plan. The few times I've unintentionally strayed (hidden gluten), I got pretty sick. That is motivating enough to keep me on the right path!

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Low carber here. A smart doctor finally ordered the right tests and discovered I am gluten intollerant. I don't have cilliac disease. For me, gluten causes other digestive problems, as well as inflammation problems. I was VERY happy to discover, two weeks after going gluten free, that my cravings disappeared. It is wonderful! I follow a modified paleo diet now ... one fruit a day (have to watch my suger), all the veggies I want, and lean meat or vegetable protein. I eat no processed foods. What a difference it has made! I've lost 55 of the 75 lbs needed to get to my goal weight. And I feel wonderful! I'm even off all prescription drugs.

I've found it fairly easy to stay on this eating plan. The few times I've unintentionally strayed (hidden gluten), I got pretty sick. That is motivating enough to keep me on the right path!

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Cande

Best Answer
0 Votes