Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253
Spent 5 months in Australia, three weeks in Sydney. Love the country and
love the people. Been from Port Fairy all the way up to Cape Tribulation.
Best Answer

@mimjoy wrote:

you do not look likely to need to lose baby fat  but well done on all the work you are doing.

I on the other hand have put on waight since my last child  mind you as he is 25  you can hardly call it baby fat. well at least I am now losing waight ( if slowly). going down instead of up. just walking more and cutting out the snacks 

Super job, mimjoy!  I know it's not easy losing weight.  Don't give up until you reach your goal and then keep going to maintain that healthy life style. 

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow, Carolyn!!! ?Good work!!! ?I need to be more diligent with staying within my 1200 calorie allotment so I can make progress as you are! ?Thanks for sharing.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Working out between tv programs reallly helps me to be distracted so I don't think about how boring exercise can be.
Best Answer
How do I connect my fitbit and fitness pal together?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@algnemes1 wrote:
Don't spend any money for diet programs. Do your own thing. Email me at
al.nemes43@gmail.com and I will send you my food log that you should
follow. 1800 calories, 50 fat grams, 40 grams fiber and at least 100 grams
of protein daily - you will loose weight and don't have to pay any body for
a "diet program".

Don't know anything about you or how this would work for me, but if I ate 1800 calories a day, I would gain weight, not lose it.  I'm a woman, 5'3" tall and diabetic.  "One size fits all plans" don't apply to all of us.  Depends on age, gender, medical condition and level of physical activity.  For an adult male, your plan might work just fine, if they are willing to step up, but it definitely wouldn't work for me.  I eat 1300-1400 calories a day, and that just maintains me where I am. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lightsinger wrote:

@algnemes1 wrote:
Don't spend any money for diet programs. Do your own thing. Email me at
al.nemes43@gmail.com and I will send you my food log that you should
follow. 1800 calories, 50 fat grams, 40 grams fiber and at least 100 grams
of protein daily - you will loose weight and don't have to pay any body for
a "diet program".

Don't know anything about you or how this would work for me, but if I ate 1800 calories a day, I would gain weight, not lose it.  I'm a woman, 5'3" tall and diabetic.  "One size fits all plans" don't apply to all of us.  Depends on age, gender, medical condition and level of physical activity.  For an adult male, your plan might work just fine, if they are willing to step up, but it definitely wouldn't work for me.  I eat 1300-1400 calories a day, and that just maintains me where I am. 

This is why one person's "program" doesn't apply to anyone else.  In the month of July (so far), I have averaged 1800 calories a day but have had "calorie deficits" of 1300-1900 calories per day depending on my level of exercise.  I have also walked over 114 miles and lost almost 9 pounds.  I am 6'2" and started at 254 pounds on March 23rd but now weigh about 215. I am also 65 years old.

Best Answer

@NY2TX wrote:

This is why one person's "program" doesn't apply to anyone else.  In the month of July (so far), I have averaged 1800 calories a day but have had "calorie deficits" of 1300-1900 calories per day depending on my level of exercise.  I have also walked over 114 miles and lost almost 9 pounds.  I am 6'2" and started at 254 pounds on March 23rd but now weigh about 215. I am also 65 years old.

My point exactly.  I'm 5'3", 66 and diabetic. I weigh 130 pounds.  I have a plan, too, and while it works for me, I don't know that it would work for anyone else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lightsinger wrote:

@NY2TX wrote:

My point exactly.  I'm 5'3", 66 and diabetic. I weigh 130 pounds.  I have a plan, too, and while it works for me, I don't know that it would work for anyone else. 

LIghtsinger & NY2TX,

Let me clarify.  Not looking to copy anyone's specific exercise or dietary regime.  Looking for trends, patterns, and lessons learned that are common to many.  The limited research I have done on the web indicates that there are some common practices (like you need to exercise as well as eat right) whch cold be of value add to others. 

I think anyone should always consult their family doctor and/or a nutritionist before embarking on a serious effort like this.  This thread goes hat in hand with a topic I just started up, yesterday, about going from a weight loss program to a maintenance program (I'm getting close to my weight goal).  There, too, not looking to exactly copy but rather incorporate any good tips or guidance on general things to consider or utilize.

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
I have been doing the same thing but lost only a few pounds over past few months. Very discouraging and I am thinking about WW again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LewWagner wrote:

@Lightsinger wrote:

@NY2TX wrote:

LIghtsinger & NY2TX,

Let me clarify.  Not looking to copy anyone's specific exercise or dietary regime.  Looking for trends, patterns, and lessons learned that are common to many.  The limited research I have done on the web indicates that there are some common practices (like you need to exercise as well as eat right) whch cold be of value add to others. 

I think anyone should always consult their family doctor and/or a nutritionist before embarking on a serious effort like this.  This thread goes hat in hand with a topic I just started up, yesterday, about going from a weight loss program to a maintenance program (I'm getting close to my weight goal).  There, too, not looking to exactly copy but rather incorporate any good tips or guidance on general things to consider or utilize.

Lew

I totally agree Lew, a nutritionist helped me a lot.

I worked out that 1) I needed to measure everything.  I thought I knew what half a cup was, but evidently I did not.  2) Staying on a calorie restricted regimen without a few "cheats" built in would ultimately fail.  I can't go overboard, so the cheats get measured, too, but I have a little something sweet every day.  3) Exercise is absolutely necessary.  Not Olympic level exercise, just activity of some sort every day.  For me it's a mix of things for 30-45 minutes a day: walking, biking, swimming.  4) Commitment.  That means sticking to the program.  There will always be something derail you.  Always.  As we say in the West, if you fall off the horse, get right back up and ride. 

Best Answer
I try to eat clean. I count the food on my fitness pal along with fitbit counting my activity. My calories are always less than 1000 per day and always a calorie deficit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

With the recent posts on this tread I would like to add the following -

You can be a clean eater and still be weak and a skinny fat.

Losing fat comes about you having a lesser  intake of energy (via food) than your body burns in a given day. This is measured by calories.

When calorie deficit, your body relies on taking energy from somewhere. That somewhere is the stored fat. Overtime the total fat mass diminishes. By maintaining this process daily or weekly will create this situation of diminishing fat mass.

Remember CLEAN calories count just as much as DIRTY calories, when it comes to fat loss. But sustaining a caloric deficit lifestyle comes at price. It impairs the body's ability to synthesize muscle proteins. Therefore you cant lose fat and build muscle effectively, generally speaking, however, this is not always the case, when you are focusing on having that beautifully toned beach body  or if you wish to take it further.

Instead you will need to make sure you have a slight calorie surplus for a positive energy balance.

Some people's metabolism are extremely fast (I wish this for myself) and they require greater calories everyday just to gain small amounts, where others require less for the same gain.

To find YOUR own favourable intake will require a little trial and error.

Try starting here with this formula from Mike Mathews (et.al like McMasters University and the University of Western Ontario)

Eat 2 gram of protein per kilo of body weight

Eat 4 grams of carbohydrates per kilo of body weight

Eat 0.6 gram of fat per kilo of body weight

Follow this method for four weeks and see how your body responds.

Clean eating is important, however it isn't paramount. Eating healthy nutrition is. At the same time don't expect your body to be lean while eating sugary cereal every morning (read the labels and understand what they mean).

Proper meal planning is necessary for both weight loss and muscle growth. A nutritionist/dietitian will be able to assist you if necessary. Particularly if you need to consider a medical condition like diabetes, low oxalate coeliac etc. Be aware of fad diets.

Best Answer

Dipgal,

One thing I had to remind myself was that I didn't get to my current weight overnight and I won't lose it by that time either.  My boyfriend recently had knee replacements on both knees (1 day apart).  It is natural to try to change alot of things at one time, however, I think it is better to change one thing at a time otherwise things can become overwhelming.  My boyfriend will add another goal once he's reached a certain place with his first goal. Walking is sometimes a challenge but 30 min walk can be broken up to two 15 min walks or three 5 min walks.  As for me, I am eating better and making sure I get all my water in.  Sounds easy but when you are chasing after children, its sometimes hard to find time to pee.  So, take one day at a time, depending on the goal, plan to reach one goal every week or two.  Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been following the program' but recently started weight watchers.

Sent from my iPad, Cathy
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good choice.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do my own thing. I have been changing one thing at a time. I have found that for me trying to take on multiple changes always ends in failure.
Best Answer
I go to a circuit training class 3x a week. And do a sports a activity 2x a week. And don't over eat and try to eat healthy. Water and maybe one surgery drink a week. And one small portion of an unhealthy food a week. Good for re boosting metabolism.
Iv tried juicing and tried "dieting" and it didn't seem to work well. 1-I wasn't eating enough cals. Now that I'm eating a little more I'm losing. Now I have a fitbit and a daily walk goal. A motivator for sure. 10 more lbs for me to lose, and I'll be were I want. Good luck to you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

im doing my own thing. i grew up eating out, having alot of fast food so ive tried to put my focus more on being healthy from the inside out. My first goal, was breakfast, lunch or dinner, i had to cook one meal for myself instead of eating out or at my job which is a restaurant). the first month, i lost 12 pounds. ive cheated here and there, but i realize it's my choice. and i try not to beat myself up for it. 

I try every morning to wake up just a little bit earlier and refocus my thoughts on my goals. Sometimes it gets so hard looking at the scale and the number doesn't change, so i try to remember my non scale victories and keep going. 

Best Answer
I was counting calories, going to the gym, along with using fitbit, but recently I joined weight watchers. Today is weigh in.....hope it's good.
Sent from my iPad, Cathy
Best Answer
0 Votes