Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253

Hello,

I am doing my own thing...sort of.  I am logging my food on LoseIt and then my workouts here on FitBit.  I lost 50 pounds doing Weight Watchers, but I can no longer afford the cost.  I like logging my food so that I can see not only What but How Much I am eating.  It is hard work.  I have very bad knees and a bad ankle that I broke 25+ yrs ago and it has a plate in it.  I am using Leslie Sansone walking videos, which are easy to do and easy to modify.  

Keep up the good work.  Baby steps will get you where you want/need to be.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm doing the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation.  It's an online programme that gives you a meal plan, recipes for all the meals in the plan plus a HUGE index of other recipes if you choose to customise your meal plan.  It also includes a fitness programme, giving you a workout plan for the week in line with your fitness and goals (you do a fitness test to gauge your ability, and choose a goal which ranges from getting off the couch, to running a half marathon, or serious weight training!).  I've found it really effective, and would certainly recommend it.  The food takes a general clean eating/everything in moderation type approach.  So you healthy ways to cook things, so you can literally have your cake and eat it!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

After many years of trying many diets - have found a plan that works for me. I do have to "write it down" and like keeping count of calories in and calories expended in FitBit.  I eat a modified Mediterranean diet with veggies and beans with olive oil and balsamic vinegar usually being the big meal of the day. Also a whey, berry, almond milk shake breakfast with a greens formula and cinnamon powders start my day off with enough protein and calories to keep me going until lunch. I have to stay away from my "trigger" foods which are hard cheese and bread.  Have meat a few times per week and also eat eggs.  I do eat nuts - but have to weigh them or else I devour them. Will be eating more salads as warm weather here at last.  I do eat brown rice or barley a few times/week. I started eating 1/2 ounce of very dark chocolate 4/5 times week. I opted to cook for Mother's Day - since I have a hard time sticking to low calorie non-bread foods in restaurants and I also have to be on a low sodium diet to help control blood pressure. Happily, I do love all vegetable and fruits.  I eat canned tuna or sardines sometimes and would love to eat wild salmon - but right now cannot afford it. Am sure this diet will continue to work for me as long as I do not buy bread or cheese!  I also go to a TOPS meeting each week which is sort of like Weight Watchers but is non-profit - therefore much cheaper - and does not recommend any specific eating plan - just any that is healthy.  Good luck to everyone - and if you have any "trigger" foods - stay away 100%.

Best Answer

Isn't she the Australian version of Jillian Michaels?  I've read some good things about her.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've found that my self control comes at the grocery store.  If I bring it home, I'll eat it.  If I want something and it's not in the house, I will usually do without or make something, which means it will be fewer calories and chemicals.  My bigger weakness is wine.  

Best Answer

Yeah @vickilind61 she basically is!  She's one of the trainers on The Biggest Loser Australia.  As I say, I've found her programme really effective, because it does cover both eating and exercise.  I looked into Weight Watchers, and Jenny Craig, and felt like I wanted something that covered both diet and fitness - so Michelle's programme was perfect for me 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found this transformation from Chris and Heidi Powell!!  It is the only one that worked for me because I had an app on my phone to help me and as a bonus I saved $200 on food a month because I had this amazing plan that kept me on track!!  Let me know if you are interested to learn more! http://www.heikebeckmann.vemma.com  The program is called bode by Vemma

Best Answer
0 Votes

My websitet didn't work, try this one

http://www.heikebeckmann.vemma.com

The program is called bode by Vemma!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm doing my own thing.  I synced with My Fitness Pal and I started doing p90x3 and drinking shakeology.  I'm down 27 pounds in 3 months, BP is great and I've gained muscle tone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am following a plan, it is a carb cycling plan. I believe having a week
plan makes things really easy to succeed! Having a plan gives you the
opportunity to succeed at any goal you set! Chris Powell is coach on the
show Extreme makeover! The app vemma bode is free and is very handy to
have at your fingertips! The plan, recipes, grocery list and your status
are all there! Check it out!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been on a clean eating program for 2 weeks and I have lost 17 pounds and 22 inches.. I can honestly say that it was the best decision I have made towards eating and being healthier.. seeing was believing for me ! 

Best Answer

Good for you!!  That is awesome!

Best Answer

Kiwigirl, I had success with WW but it was all food related.  I wasn't ready to incorporate movement.  Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc, seem VERY expensive, plus, I would struggle to make the change to "regular" food.  With my FitBit, LoseIt and MFP, I am eating regular food and moving.  
I wonder if I could find some of her videos on Amazon, for region 1?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it is OK to give a plug to a Non-Profit weight loss support group. TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly).

It is in US and Canada.  Does have a weekly weigh-in and programs are presented usually by the members.  My group has a monthly fee of $5 - guess that varies for each group.  TOPS.ORG. Any sensible diet OK - plus weight loss surgery was recently approved.   Bev  (every bit of support helps!)

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was thinking of doing Jenny Craig..but it was really expensive and I didn't like that you had to eat their food. I'm a distributor for Omni and I love their products! I'm not one to sell something I don't use or believe in.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am kind of doing my own thing. I use My Fitness Pal but entered my own goals and percentages for the macros to fit with my doctor's recommendations. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so I need to eat a lower carb diet. Currently I am eating net 1800 calories with 40% carb and 30% each protein and fat. To stay within my goals, I have been trying to cook more and eat fewer processed foods.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks to everyone for their input!  So many different techniques and methods!  I know it's all about what we can fit into our own lifestyle. I know the answer for me is moving more, getting stronger via strength training, and moderating portions/cutting out junk... oh, and booze..    I cannot do another strict program where I feel deprived, lose a bunch of weight and gain it back..  Been there, done that  - so-o-o many times.

I just know that positive steps in the right direction will help me change my black/white all or nothing diet mentality that got me into this unhealthy position.

Best Answer

I started out with WW but I really didn't want to have to pay the monthly fee which can be pretty pricey. What brought me to fitbit is I was looking at the WW tracker, which also required a separate fee. I decided to look around and Fitbit was always on the back of my mind. So, now I am kinda sorta doing my own thing using MFP to log my food. Eating less fried and/or processed foods and moving more. So far so good on my first week. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I purchased a lunch/dinner package on Amazon from PERSONALTRAINERFOOD.COM  so far so good

it was very hard the first week.  I have given into the less eating and snacking  - havent really weighed myself

food is very tastey - if anyone would like a discount - let me know

Best Answer

Personal Trainer food had a coupon on Amazon a couple days ago for $100 off - i.e. pay 100 for coupon get 200 credit - I had used this a couple months ago for the 2 meals a day for 28 days (56 meals) and since I didn't use them twice a day, I just ran out the other day. Yes, most of the food is excellent and all is OK - 

Marking your question "solved" lets others know that they may find an answer to a question they have in this thread
Best Answer