Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Anguish 2017 (Step) Goal Challenge

ANSWERED

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for August 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.

Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day

Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format

1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.

2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional

3) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.

4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

The optional items list has grown over the past months.  That's why the title has steps in ().  In the end it's about setting goals and improving habits.  So the optional items can really be anything.  Running, biking, weight lifting, food goals, etc.  Some will add a goal that is not daily - ie. wanting to do so many strength training workouts in the month - so you might be aiming for a number that is less than 31 for some goals -- maybe 5, 10, or 15.  Really, it's just completely open.

Injury Notice

If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am adding one pull-up/day to my August goal.  Like my one push-up/day goal for June and July, this goal is achievable for me even on really low energy days, and should help me keep my exercise habit going every day this month.  After all, it is just one, right?  I can definitely do one.  

Because my goals are more along the lines of daily minimums, I give myself bonus credit when I do more than the goal.  Who doesn't like bonuses?

Goals

10K steps/day + bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + bonus reps

14 lifting days 

Scott | Baltimore MD

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85

I am adding one pull-up/day to my August goal.  Like my one push-up/day goal for June and July, this goal is achievable for me even on really low energy days, and should help me keep my exercise habit going every day this month.  After all, it is just one, right?  I can definitely do one.  

Because my goals are more along the lines of daily minimums, I give myself bonus credit when I do more than the goal.  Who doesn't like bonuses?

Goals

10K steps/day + bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + bonus reps

14 lifting days 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August 1

Goals

10K steps/day + 15K bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + 19 bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + 4 bonus reps

0/14 lifting days 

So, usually I do some push-ups and pull-ups in the morning after I get up and some more before I go to bed.  I think I did that yesterday morning and forgot to record my sets, but I was in a bit of a rush and I might be remembering back a few days instead of yesterday.  So I'm officially reporting just the sets I did in the evening.

I guess it is good that my habits are getting strong enough that I don't always remember if I did the thing unless I record it shortly after.  Kind of like going to work and not being entirely sure of how you got there because you do it the same way so often you don't really pay that much attention.  Smiley Happy

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August Anguish???? The title fits perfectly for me as I am struggling to keep up my goals with my busy summer schedule!

My goal for this month is simply to finish my steps along with push ups, sit ups and some other core exercise. 

Day 1: Completed these without any hassle. The temperature is shooting up to 37 C with humidity. It's been hot hot week. Forecast says thunderstorm late this evening...

1) 10 k Steps --> 1/1

2) Push up --> 1/1

3) Plank --> 1/1

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 1/1

Good luck every one!

Best Answer

Day 2: Hot hot ... humid and sticky day. Managed to get out for few minutes of walk. I hope there would be some relief from this heat! 😞

1) 10 k Steps --> 2/2

2) Push up --> 2/2

3) Plank --> 2/2 

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 2/2

Best Answer

Thanks for starting it

10k Step Goal - 30 Days

Daily Quadrant Calorie Goal - 31 Days

Reach 240 lbs by the end of the month.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

10k Step Goal   1 for 2 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 2 for 2 / 31

Chances of hitting 240 by end of month : Possible

Good luck everyone this month.

Best Answer

So I'm new to all this and I saw this post earlier today and I got my Fitbit Alta on the 1st so I definitely didn't hit my 10k step goal. I got maybe half so that's progress. I definitely made it yesterday. I'm doing a step goal and I'm going to try to do at least one hour of working out every day whether on a treadmill/elliptical at the gym or walking my puppy outside (she can only go 45 minutes at most though, so I'll have to combine that with another workout.)  

So as of right now I've completed 2/31 days step goal and 2/31 days workout goal. I went for 1.5 hours yesterday and 1 hour today so whoohoo 😄

Best Answer

August 2

Goals

10K steps/day + 17K bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + 59 bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + 4 bonus reps

1/14 lifting days 

Got in my first August lifting day yesterday.  

Trying to build up strength this month, which means I'm trying to lift heavier weights for lower reps at the gym.  For the past couple of months my squats have been with dumbbells lifted to my shoulders and the limiting factor is how much weight I can get off the ground to shoulder position so I can start the exercise.  So I changed to a barbell yesterday, starting from the stand-up position in the squat rack.  

Of course I can do a lot more weight that way because I can just put the bar across my shoulders at the start. But I didn't want to hurt myself by moving up too fast, so I kind of took it easy.  I thought.  The bruises I now have on the back of my neck and shoulders from the bar (even using the bar pad) were an unexpected badge of accomplishment!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@almost_where wrote:

Thanks for starting it

Yep.  Figured you could use a break from the admin chore, and checking in most days helps me hit my goals so I don't mind starting it off now and again.

Hope you bury that weight goal this month!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome @Chauronslilsis.  Congratulations on your new fitbit and your new puppy.  Make sure you post a picture (of the puppy) so we can all go "awww."  Smiley Happy

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Bhuvana wrote:

August Anguish???? The title fits perfectly for me as I am struggling to keep up my goals with my busy summer schedule!

@Bhuvana.  Yeah, the title kind of popped into my head as I was setting up the thread.  But I am pretty sure I used it before back when I was setting up challenges for Stridekick a few years ago.  Something about HOT and HUMID Baltimore/DC August days that always brings Anguish to mind.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

IMG_1760.JPG

(sorry crappy ipod pic) This is my baby Sadie she's a year old now and she's a German shepherd x blue heeler mix. I think this picture was when she was just under 50 lbs but shes around 55 now and suuuuper stubborn lol 😄 I have so many pictures of her from the time we got her at 8 weeks til now it's ridiculous 

Best Answer

10k Step Goal   2 for 3 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 3 for 3 / 31

Chances of hitting 240 by end of month : Possible

Best Answer

Thanks for starting August Anguish, hopefully we can all work through the anguish and accomplish our goals. I've been struggling a bit lately reaching my goals but will leave them the same for August.

Steps 10 k, floors 35, miles 5 per day.

Best Answer

Day 3: Rain was in the forecast. Nothing yet as of now. I am looking for some kind of relief from heat. Today it's hitting 40 and UV index is dangerously high. haven't gone for running all this week. Hopefully I would hit the road on Sunday for my long distance. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 3/3

2) Push up --> 3/3

3) Plank --> 3/3

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 3/3

After reducing my daily steps from 13 k to 10k last month, I hit each day around 15k. It happened just like that. I couldn't believe it. I think when you don't stress out on accomplishing those goals, it happens without any hassle. That's life.. 🙂

Best Answer

Yep, Sadie is a cutie, alright.  Doing a little sunbathing.  Love those big ears.  There is a great long running thread of fitbit dogs over here.  Sadie will fit right in.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August 3

Goals

10K steps/day + 17K bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + 58 bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + 11 bonus reps

1/14 lifting days 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok guys I'm 3/31 on both accounts! It wasn't too bad of a struggle because me and mama went shopping and we went literally everywhere lol 😄 I was afraid I wouldn't hit my step goal though because for some reason my alta didn't track my gym workout today so I just entered it in manually. Little bit weird but whatever 😄 Still going strong Smiley Tongue

Best Answer

10k Step Goal   2 for 4 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 4 for 4 / 31

Best Answer