Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Anguish 2017 (Step) Goal Challenge

ANSWERED

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for August 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.

Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day

Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format

1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.

2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional

3) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.

4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

The optional items list has grown over the past months.  That's why the title has steps in ().  In the end it's about setting goals and improving habits.  So the optional items can really be anything.  Running, biking, weight lifting, food goals, etc.  Some will add a goal that is not daily - ie. wanting to do so many strength training workouts in the month - so you might be aiming for a number that is less than 31 for some goals -- maybe 5, 10, or 15.  Really, it's just completely open.

Injury Notice

If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85

August 18 -- 

Goals

10K steps/day + 4K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 39 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 11 bonus reps
9/14 lifting days

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 19

Goals

10K steps/day + 10K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 19 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 7 bonus reps
9/14 lifting days

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 19 & 20: Overall, it's busy and good weekend. Hit my set of goals without any hassle. Yesterday, I went for my run and it was a gorgeous day to do so. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 16/20

2) Push up --> 16/20

3) Plank --> 16/20

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 16/20

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 20
Goals

10K steps/day + 4K bonus steps
1 Pull-up/day + 5 bonus reps
10/14 lifting days

Then off to Annapolis for a dinner cruise

AnnapolisAnnapolis

August 21
Goals

10K steps/day + 15K bonus steps
1 Pull-up/day + 23 bonus reps
11/14 lifting days

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Day 21: Good day but hot hot and humid. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 17/21

2) Push up --> 17/21

3) Plank --> 17/21

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 17/21

@Baltoscott: Beautiful picture! thanks for sharing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 22
Goals
10K steps/day + 14K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 66 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 14 bonus reps
11/14 lifting days

August 23: beautiful day at about 74 this morning. Plan to get a bit of a walk in DC before sitting down at my desk.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bhuvana  -- yes, it's hard to resist a sunset on the water.  Tried to upload a few of my eclipse pics but fitbit doesn't automatically down sample them when I try the upload from my iPad and I keep getting a file too big error.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Day 22: Heavy downpour and tornado warning all day long. Went for a walk in the mall during lunch time and that helps me the steps what I wanted. Started some various core exercise and gave a break from the twist one. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 18/22

2) Push up --> 18/22

3) Plank --> 18/22

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 17/21

@Baltoscott: Yes.. I agree. It's hard to resist the view on water. When I get chance, I will be there for at least couple of hours. It would be peaceful to see both sunset and sunrise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 23: Completed the set of goals without any trouble.

1) 10 k Steps --> 19/23

2) Push up --> 19/23

3) Plank --> 19/23

Day 24: Today it's a beautiful day. Went for a long walk and helped me to complete my step goals early. usually I do the plank and push up in the morning. So I am done for the steps. Whatever I do from now on, it's a bonus. 🙂

1) 10 k Steps --> 20/24

2) Push up --> 20/24

3) Plank --> 20/24

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 23
Goals
1 Pull-up/day + 4 bonus reps
12/14 lifting days

Yawn ... One of my dogs has been getting me up 30-60 minutes early every morning this week.  Starts barking to be fed and let out.  Close enough to when I need to get up that I can't go back to bed after. He is really messing up my morning routine.  I usually get the first set of push-ups and pull-ups out of the way before I head off to work.  I think I'm still doing that, but in my sleep haze I'm forgetting to diary what I've done.  So maybe I did a few more pull-ups and push-ups yesterday.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Passed my 1 year anniversary with my fitbit on August 18th. Feel much better, took my waist size from 34 to 32's, dropped 22 pounds, and feel much better overall. Still enjoy watching my watch set off fireworks when I hit 10,000 step, love it when it happens by noon.

Goals: Steps 10 k, floors 35, miles 5 per day.

Aug 17th ugg, town day steps 5.5 k, 29 floors, 2.5 miles

8/18  steps 14.5 k, 45 floors, 6.5 miles

8/19  steps 12.4 k, 48 floors, 5.6 miles

8/20  steps 13.9 k, 57 floors, 6.28 miles

Day OFF day - 8/21  steps 4.4 k, 6 floors, 2 miles The total eclipse was the reason for this day off. We live in southern Missouri and had to drive 3.5 hours north to see the total eclipse. It sure was worth the trip!

8/22  steps 14.4 k, 45 floors, 6.6 miles

8/23  steps 25.3 k, 130 floors, 11.5 miles!  OK, this was a riding day, trail ride in the hills with our riding club. I think my stats were around 7.5 k steps and the horse did the rest. 

8/24  ugg again, town day. steps 10.2 k, 12 floors, 4.6 miles

Best Answer

August 24
Goals
1 Push-up/day + 44 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 13 bonus reps
12/14 lifting days

August 25
Goals
10K steps/day + 6K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 24 bonus reps
13/14 lifting days

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@benvegi wrote:

Passed my 1 year anniversary with my fitbit on August 18th. Feel much better, took my waist size from 34 to 32's, dropped 22 pounds, and feel much better overall. Still enjoy watching my watch set off fireworks when I hit 10,000 step, love it when it happens by noon.

I'll bet you do feel much better @benvegi.  You are a living breathing testament that small changes can make a big difference to your health over time. Well done!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Day 25: Beautiful day. Went for a long walk. Felt like fall weather was almost here. Happy to reach the goals. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 21/25

2) Push up --> 21/25

3) Plank --> 21/25

Day 26: Completely energy drained day due to a specific incident happened in the family. It's kind of blah day. No distraction took my mind off. Didn't finish or reach any set of goals.

1) 10 k Steps --> 21/26

2) Push up --> 21/26

3) Plank --> 21/26

Day 27: Started with a nice cool day! Went for 10 K  run and felt awesome. In fact, it was a good day to run. In the afternoon, went to watch city championship tennis match. It was a very good thrilling one which lasted more than 2 1/2 hrs. It was a heart breaking loss to our friend, who had few match points in the 2nd set :(. Oh well, tennis is like that. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 22/27

2) Push up --> 22/27

3) Plank --> 22/27

@benvegi: Congrats on your achievement. Yes, even a small change matters. Keep it up. 🙂 

Best Answer

August 26
Goals
10K steps/day + 13K bonus steps
1 Pull-up/day + 10 bonus reps
12/14 lifting days

August 27
Goals
10K steps/day + 5K bonus steps
1 Pull-up/day + 13 bonus reps
14/14 lifting days

Yay! Got all my lifting days in.  Heading out of town in a few days I'm a little worried about keeping up on my gym routine.  But a few adjustments here and there might do it.  And, of course, I can always do more push-ups -- pretty much anywhere.  And I can usually find a pull up bar, or something that will work, at a park or a tot lot. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August 28
Goals
10K steps/day + 10K bonus steps
14/14 lifting days

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 28:

1) 10 k Steps --> 23/28

2) Push up --> 23/28

3) Plank --> 23/28

Best Answer
0 Votes

Between the fact that I started this challenge late in the month and just life's business, I've lost track of my numbers for the month. The good news is I have hit my daily step goal of 10k the last 5 days in a row. So, making progress! Looking forward to jumping in on the September thread, should there be one. I do enjoy reading everyone else's posts here, btw. I find it very encouraging and it has given me some good goal ideas of my own. 

Best Answer

Goals: Steps 10 k, floors 35, miles 5 per day.

Weather has finally cooled off into mid 80's, still a bit humid. 

8/25 steps 11.4 k, floors 46, 5 miles

8/26 steps 4.6, floors 9, 2 miles !!!  Another town day, Left for town at 7 am, drove 1.5 hours to Springfield, went to farmer's market, then to my Woodturner's meeting at 9:00 ran to 12:30, then lunch, then several store stops, another 1.5 hr drive home. 

8/27  steps 18.2 k, floors 46, miles 8.2. My wife (Char) & I got out early and walked 3.7 miles. Got the rest of my steps mowing and weed eating, etc..

8/28 steps 19.6 k, floors 50, miles 8.9, another long moring walk with Char, then working around our small ranch. 

Today I'm already over my goals, tomorrow is trail riding day, look for really good numbers. 🙂

Best Answer

Day 29: This week it's kind of fall weather, which helps to go out for a walk or a run frequently. 

1) 10 k Steps --> 24/29

2) Push up --> 24/29

3) Plank --> 24/29

Best Answer