Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Anguish 2017 (Step) Goal Challenge

ANSWERED

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for August 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.

Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day

Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format

1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.

2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional

3) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.

4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

The optional items list has grown over the past months.  That's why the title has steps in ().  In the end it's about setting goals and improving habits.  So the optional items can really be anything.  Running, biking, weight lifting, food goals, etc.  Some will add a goal that is not daily - ie. wanting to do so many strength training workouts in the month - so you might be aiming for a number that is less than 31 for some goals -- maybe 5, 10, or 15.  Really, it's just completely open.

Injury Notice

If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85

Hey @almost_where.  What does the "4Q" part of your calorie goal mean?  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bhuvana wrote:

After reducing my daily steps from 13 k to 10k last month, I hit each day around 15k. It happened just like that. I couldn't believe it. I think when you don't stress out on accomplishing those goals, it happens without any hassle. That's life.. 🙂

Funny how that works.  

A couple of months ago I finally listened to a book called "Mini Habits for Weight Loss ..." by Stephen Guise.  I bought it probably a year ago when it was on sale on audible and had just never gotten around to listening to it. But I'm really glad I finally did.  Even got and read his original book on the subject.  That's where my one push-up/day and one pull-up/day habits come from.  The habits are stupid easy because the goals are much lower than what I know I can do, but the ironic thing is that by getting me started every day, I often wind up doing more than I did when I gave myself challenging goals like 50 push-ups/day.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August 4

Goals

10K steps/day + 17K bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + 49 bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + 23 bonus reps

2/14 lifting days 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  My weight loss journey started very rapidly and then gradually has tapered off. These past few months I have been bouncing around the 240s particularly due to binge eating. My theory to what was a large component of the binges was consuming a large % of my calories before noon and then not leaving enough for later.

So I decided to break my day into 4 quadrants (4Q)

4am to 10am = 600 to 800 calories.

10am to 4pm = 600 to 800 calories.

4pm to 10pm = 600 to 800 calories.

10pm to 4am = Nadda/Nothing/Zilch except water.

On my cheat day I might bump it up to 1k per Q.

Not getting ahead of myself but so far so good. So if I stay in range for all 4Q.

Good luck with your goals this month.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Met my goals today too so 5/31 😄 I am trying to control my calories too (mainly cutting my big portion sizes and snacking down) and I've been doing pretty well. I'm going for a walk with my boyfriend tomorrow. I told him I have to exercise for at least an hour every day and he wasn't happy about going for an hour long walk with me but I'm gonna drag him along anyway lol 😜 I got him an Alta as well but it's been having charging problems for some reason. Might have to go get it exchanged (thankfully I got the insurance plans for these things)

Best Answer

10k Step Goal   3 for 5 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 5 for 5 / 31

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 5

Goals

10K steps/day + 14K bonus steps

1 Push-up/day + 39 bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day + 11 bonus reps

2/14 lifting days 

Jane and I took a road trip to DC to see the Aquatic Gardens at Kenilworth Park.  

IMG_1675.jpg

Got of few steps, and definitely worth the trip if you live in the area.  Best of all, it's free!

Got close enough to this heron to take a pic with my iPhone.

Great Blue HeronGreat Blue Heron

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@almost_where wrote:

@Baltoscott  My weight loss journey started very rapidly and then gradually has tapered off. These past few months I have been bouncing around the 240s particularly due to binge eating. My theory to what was a large component of the binges was consuming a large % of my calories before noon and then not leaving enough for later.

So I decided to break my day into 4 quadrants (4Q)

4am to 10am = 600 to 800 calories.

10am to 4pm = 600 to 800 calories.

4pm to 10pm = 600 to 800 calories.

10pm to 4am = Nadda/Nothing/Zilch except water.

On my cheat day I might bump it up to 1k per Q.

Not getting ahead of myself but so far so good. So if I stay in range for all 4Q.

Good luck with your goals this month.

That seems like a good goal.  Anything that helps you be more mindful about what you eat is likely to help.  

One habit I've tried to develop over the past couple of months has been to reduce eating to (pretty much) 4x/day.  Breakfast, lunch, afternoon mini-snack, and dinner.  No grazing or caloric drinks outside those periods. That mostly meant that I gave up a mid-morning snack I used to do, and the occasional starbucks trip for anything other than brewed coffee.  The main reason I did it was because I wanted to get a little more full during meals to avoid hunger for longer periods, and so I could better recognize real hunger.  i am hopeful that will help me in maintenance when I stop counting calories and macros.  I think it's working. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Today was a little bit of a cheat day heheh I didn't get a full hour workout but I did burn a lot of calories because me and my boyfriend went hiking in his parents neighborhood which is very hilly so lol I did hit my step goal so I'm 6/31 for that and 5/31 for the exercise 😄

Best Answer

August 6

Goals
10K steps/day + 17K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 59 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 17 bonus reps
2/14 lifting days

August 7

Goals
10K steps/day + 13K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 39 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 27 bonus reps
3/14 lifting days

Lots of rain yesterday but got down to the sprinkle level in the late afternoon and I finally got my bike ride in.  Plan to lift M, W, F this week.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

10k Step Goal   4 for 7 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 7 for 7 / 31

Best Answer

Days went by just like that!  Just realized that I haven't updated here for the last 4 days. I am glad I am still on track for this month. It's a long weekend here in Ontario and so had a good time with the family. Weather wise not too hot and not too cold. It was a beautiful Sunday to go for my long distance run. The temperature was hovering around 16 and I was happy to get my 10 k in. No complaints so far! The life is beautiful. 🙂

Day 4, 5, 6, 7

1) 10 k Steps --> 7/7

2) Push up --> 7/7

3) Plank --> 7/7 (PB is 2 mins. 🙂 )

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 7/7

Best Answer
0 Votes

10k Step Goal   5 for 7 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 7 for 8 / 31

Best Answer

August 8 - national sneak some zucchini into your neighbor's porch day.

Goals
10K steps/day + 16K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 64 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 9 bonus reps
3/14 lifting days

August 9 -- national rice pudding day.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Day 8: Good day! Went for a short run with my daughter. Busy at work and busy at home. So kind of day went by so quickly.  

1) 10 k Steps --> 8/8

2) Push up --> 8/8

3) Plank --> 8/8 

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 8/8

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is post #1 for me in the forums. I've been pretty inconsistent as of late so thought this would be a good way to jumpstart my fitness and health. On a side note, I've challenged myself to lose 20 pounds by the end of 2017 (about a pound a week) and think this will be a great way to get started. 

10 k Steps --> 4/8

Starting tomorrow I am going to add pushups and abs to my daily goal/tracking. So ready to do this and looking forward to reading others posts for inspiration! 

Best Answer

Impressive. Good work! 

@Bhuvana wrote:

Day 8: Good day! Went for a short run with my daughter. Busy at work and busy at home. So kind of day went by so quickly.  

1) 10 k Steps --> 8/8

2) Push up --> 8/8

3) Plank --> 8/8 

4) Russian twist (with 5 lbs) - 8/8

Best Answer

10k Step Goal   6 for 8 / 31

4Q Calorie Goal 8 for 9 / 31

Best Answer
0 Votes

August 9 -- national rice pudding day.

Goals
10K steps/day + 16K bonus steps
1 Push-up/day + 51 bonus reps
1 Pull-up/day + 15 bonus reps
4/14 lifting days

August 10 -- national lazy day ... Woohoo!!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the thread @HoosierDaddy73.  This little daily check in is a nice way to keep your diet/fitness goals on the front burner.  Won't solve anything by itself, but it's a step toward mindfulness which for most of us is huge.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes