Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you maintain weight loss without perpetually dieting?

ANSWERED

In the last year and change I lost almost 50 lbs, reaching what I considered my "goal weight." I primarily used the costly but worth it Get In Shape for Women program, which combines nutrition with training and accountability. I avoided carbs (even whole grain) like the plague. I scaled back my plan with them 3 months ago.

In my current job I notice I need more "hearty" foods to keep away the "hungry horrors." I feel less hungry having an oatmeal square than 2 mini quiche muffins and a wheat wrap for lunch than salad only. That being said, I specifically pack healthy snacks to avoid hitting the vending machine. I am guilty of having pizza occasionally when the office has a free lunch.

I've gained back almost 10 lbs in the last three months and am very frustrated. I indulge very infrequently and do still  workout 3-4 times per week. Does this mean I should never have any form of bread ever again? I remember a time that I maintained a healthy weight without this constant dieting, and I ate worse then!

Is there anyone out there that has lost weight and maintained it without "dieting" forever?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40
WHEN YOU SAY DIETING,IT DOES NOT MEAN REDUCED INTAKE.WHAT IT MEANS PROPER DIETARY INTAKE LIKE BREAKFAST CONSISTING OF CEREALS LIKE CORN FLAKES OR GREEK YOGURT OR MULTI GRAIN BREAD WITH SIX EGGS THREE TIMES A WEEK.LUNCH MAY CONSIST OF SALAD WITH OR WITHOUT GRILLED CHICKEN OR SALMON WITH FRUITS AND THE DINNER MAY INCLUDE GRILLED OR BAKED CHICKEN OR FISH,SALAD WITH VINEGARREETE DRESSING,BAKED POTATO OR VEGETABLES AND FRUIT SALAD.IN BETWEEN MEALS,YOU MAY HAVE ONE OZ OF EITHER ALMONDS OR PISTACHO NUTS OR PEEA NUTS.THIS HAS TO BE COUPLED WITH PROPER EXERCISE,JOSEPH
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, but if you're dieting to lose weight the only option is to reduce calories. You can eat less calorie dense foods to still feel full, but if you don't reduce calories you will not lose weight. 

Calories are energy. Fat is stored energy. If you want to lose fat, you must burn stored energy without replenishing it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnAuthor wrote:

Sorry, but if you're dieting to lose weight the only option is to reduce calories. You can eat less calorie dense foods to still feel full, but if you don't reduce calories you will not lose weight. 

Calories are energy. Fat is stored energy. If you want to lose fat, you must burn stored energy without replenishing it.

Obviously, yes.

But the question was whether reducing calories too much would actually hamper your body's ability to lose weight (or, more accurately, to lose fat).

The study you cited pretty much says that too much of a reduction will make the body start burning lean tissue and muscle as fuel and cause the person's BMR to fall, which means a net gain in calories burned over calories consumed.  You burn fewer calories as your BMR falls, which means your net intake increases.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, but your BMR only falls a small amount until you hit unhealthy levels of body fat. Chances are no one here is at <6% bodyfat. Further, they found that lifting weights can decrease how much your metabolism slows, effectively cancelling the slowdown caused by a moderate diet. For info on that, check out the afterburn effect or EPOC.

The EPOC after weight lifting ranges from 6-15% more calories burned. A normal diet to lose weight will lower your metabolism by maybe 15%. You can see that weight lifting cancels that metabolism "loss".

http://greatist.com/fitness/can-weight-lifting-maximize-afterburn-effect

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/afterburn-3-ways-to-burn-more-fat-build-muscle.html

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnAuthor wrote:

Okay, but your BMR only falls a small amount until you hit unhealthy levels of body fat. Chances are no one here is at <6% bodyfat. Further, they found that lifting weights can decrease how much your metabolism slows, effectively cancelling the slowdown caused by a moderate diet. For info on that, check out the afterburn effect or EPOC.

The EPOC after weight lifting ranges from 6-15% more calories burned. A normal diet to lose weight will lower your metabolism by maybe 15%. You can see that weight lifting cancels that metabolism "loss".

http://greatist.com/fitness/can-weight-lifting-maximize-afterburn-effect

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/afterburn-3-ways-to-burn-more-fat-build-muscle.html

See, I'm not seeing that the impact is solely for those with really low bodyfat.  The studies I read were pretty much universal for all mammals (not just underweight humans), though the Minnesota Starvation Experiment did bring all of the participants down to below average weight before starting the experiment.

But the issue is still there - that a fall in BMR is a fall in BMR, and adding weight training to make up for it can work, but not everyone is lifting weights, especially women.  Now that's a whole different topic/rant because I do think women should be lifting, but it's a side issue.

The problem I have with the studies so far is that they're all saying "Starving people still lose weight" and that's not the same as "Starving people lose the same amount or more of bodyfat."  Muscle mass is being lost too, but I don't see anyone accounting for that.  Weight loss is great.  Muscle mass loss is not.

But I'm having trouble finding scientific studies that show it isn't being lost - just a percentage of total mass that was lost.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just saw a special on Netflix the other night on how all of the excess sugar that is being added to everything we eat is contributing to our Nation's Obesity,especially on young kids. A doctor on the show disagrees with the " Calories Vs Calories Out" theory of body weight loss and gain. He feels that the sugar industry and the sugar lobbies in D.C. are contributing to people getting fatter and fatter. It is also not just here, but all over the World, people are becoming more and more obese.

Best Answer
0 Votes

" Starvation mode isn't a real thing until you get to VERY low body fat."

Simply not true

People have starved to death whilst still being hugely over weight

There bodies cannibalised heart muscle for energy to the point there the heart failed, extreme cases, but cases none the less.

"if you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories. "

That is true, over all but the shortest timelines

The problem with crash diets is that your body simply cant metabolise fat that quickly, it makes up the difference by slowing muscle rebuild, or flat breaking muscle down for energy.  Super low calorie high protein diets have been tried, patients died.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

@Trooper wrote:

I just saw a special on Netflix the other night on how all of the excess sugar that is being added to everything we eat is contributing to our Nation's Obesity,especially on young kids. A doctor on the show disagrees with the " Calories Vs Calories Out" theory of body weight loss and gain. He feels that the sugar industry and the sugar lobbies in D.C. are contributing to people getting fatter and fatter. It is also not just here, but all over the World, people are becoming more and more obese.

Then the Dr was either misquoted or is a complete fool

From a weight perspective, the problem with suger is you can consume it in virtually limitless quantities.

Eating 3000cal of carrots is hard, eating 3000cal of sugar is easy, and addictive

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

@DominicJ wrote:

" Starvation mode isn't a real thing until you get to VERY low body fat."

Simply not true

People have starved to death whilst still being hugely over weight

There bodies cannibalised heart muscle for energy to the point there the heart failed, extreme cases, but cases none the less.

"if you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories. "

That is true, over all but the shortest timelines

The problem with crash diets is that your body simply cant metabolise fat that quickly, it makes up the difference by slowing muscle rebuild, or flat breaking muscle down for energy.  Super low calorie high protein diets have been tried, patients died.

Starving to death is absolutely not what people are talking about when they talk about starvation mode. Further, no one is saying to go on a crash diet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I watch the Naked and Afraid Show. I am amazed at how much weight some of them lose both in the 20 day show and in the 40 day one. Recently one man lost  72 pounds in 40 days. His heart did not fail!! But I do agree with Dominic on what he said, " If you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories!!!"

Best Answer

The technical term about "starvation mode" is adaptive thermoregulation, which contains several steps before real starvation mode kicks in. Even in a few days or up to a few weeks the body starts to compensate. Your hunger sets in, you experience low energy, you start getting cravings and your metabolic rate declines. This is a protective response and is considered stsge on 1 called metabolic compensation.

Stage 2 is metabolic resistance. This is where your body is more and more resistant to weight loss and begins to hold on to it's precious fat stores.

Stage 3 is a compelation of symtoms:  feeling gassy and bloated, irregular or loss of menses, sleep issues, exhuation, depression etc. And you might even begin to slowly gain weight even with the reduced callories. This is stage three and is the final stage of "starvation mode."

From what I have read the way to break the stalled status and improve health is to cycle the diet. "Spend 2-3 weeks in the eat less, exercise less phase and then switch to an eat more, exercise more approach for a time."  In addition it is best to reduce intensity of training and also cycle that as well between low intensity and higher cardio activities. It can take several months to reverse the effects depending how far you are into adaptive thermoregulation.

Best Answer

My solution is to grab all the meals planned, put away the credit cards and cash, and can't go anywhere for extras because have no money. Can't go to the coffee shop, cafeteria, DD, Starbucks, Subway, etc. Because no money on me. Worked for me once and lost 30 pounds. Just need to work on getting that extra focus. If your office allows it, a coffee machine at the helm. Most major bus cards have an automatic reloader on their website. Problem solved there. Starbucks has an app to auto-reload, but focus on just coffee and an oatmeal. Some gyms have bars, but if you're looking for protein shake likes, look for the energizer kinds instead with zero sugar. If you're driving, take out $20 at the cash machine and put your cards away and fill it up on pump #1 all the $20.

Best Answer

In regard to muscle loss and dieting, I'm not quite sure I accept it on its face.  Muscle loss can ocur for a lot of reason to include inactivity.  I've known many people that, when they diet, they have less energy and move less.  Acitivity goes down.  NASA has done several studies in support of prolonged space flight and has determined that detectable muscle atrophy is acheieve after just 3 days of inactivity.  I'm wondering if a lot of the so called muscle loss might be attributed to this effect rather than the restricted calories.

If we think about the idea that our hunter-gatherer ancestors often when a day or two without eating, but they still needed their muscle to hunt down and kill prey, the body would have adopted to preserve muscle tissue rather than consume it in times of hunger.  I've read a couple of studies recently that the catabolic process is entered only for short term whith prolonged fasting.  Muscles, it seems are able to use ketones for energy and brain cells seem to thrive on them.

I actually don't think anyone knows the real answer at this point.  Most studies concentrate on only 1 or 2 aspects of nutrition at a time and even then, humans are notorious for lying about their adherence to the specified protocols of various studies (most are not conducted under fully supervised conditions).

As to the topic of this thread, you would have to monitor your calories constantly to avoid gaining weight, so in that sense, dieting is perpetural.  What is not perpetual is the calorie restriction part of 'dieting' unless you consider eating no more than what you need calorie restriction - then dieting is perpetual.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I also have lost 50 pounds, I started my diet 2013 and I've kept it off....I record what I eat every day and keep track of my calories, if I didn't I'd be right back up there, I know me I'm not to be trusted....What I've been doing lately is to not eat any more calories then I've burned...so I watch my fitbit all the time...I walk every day try to do 10000 steps a day the more I walk the more I burn and the more I can eat...

Best Answer
Agreed, but how much pizza or junk food we can handle depends on our size & activity level. I burn between 3200-3500 calories on a typical day but my wife has to work incredibly hard to burn 2500 calories, so I can have a little scoop of frozen yogurt each night w little effect, or stop for a steakburger w cheese & fries several times a week without going over my calories (not that it would be nutritional). My wife always feels incredibly restricted in order stay within her calories as a 5' woman.

I think that the most important thing said in this forum so far is that each person needs to develop an eating plan that is realistic / sustainable for them. For me? I've discovered that I am a fat person no matter my current weight (I easily fall back to default mode of unhealthy eating). I've lost a couple times & always gained back to be even heavier. Last time I lost over 1year (or so) through tracking calories & exercise...but I made decisions along the way based on lifestyle (practices with which I thought I could live) rather than weightloss (practices that would knock the pounds off more quickly).

it would be easy to say "I've done it!" And go back to eating crap like I did before...but I my realization that I'm a "fat person" in mindset no matter my size was crucial for me. Throughout my weightloss I told myself that I would never stop tracking my food or exercise. It has worked so far.
Best Answer

Returning back to the original post in this thread, I would say it is definitely possible to maintain weight without perpetually dieting.  That said, if one doesn't want to diet in the classic sense, they need to really ramp up their physical output.

I know there is an old adage which says, "You cannot outrun a bad diet."  And while that may partially be true, you can in fact outrun extra calories, under the assumption said calories are from high quality whole food sources.  I'll take it one step further, it is my personal opinion the best way to lose weight is to ramp up exercise, clean up the food eaten, and then ever so gradually increase the amounts eaten as well so you don't go into too much of a calorie deficit (versus food processed, food eaten is another story).

Best Answer
0 Votes
to the CEO of Fitbit company, i saw your advertisement.i totally disagree with your statement. you do not need an expensive devise like Fitbit to be healthy and to keep your weight down.i am a physician .i may not be a nutritionist or a an expert on exercise physiology .but commonsense dictates that a balanced diet and a reasonable physical activity like walking for 153 minutes a week goes a long way to lose weight or keep your weight down and you do not have to calculate stride length for a devise like yours to calculate the distance you have walked or run in a treadmill .a simple and inexpensive device like a speedometer will do exactly the same and you definitely do not need a fitbit which costs $ 250.00 to do that.i am saying this from my personal experience.not long ago,i bought one of your expensive toys and i religiously calculated the stride length as your experts advised and that did not work in the sense it did not calculate the exact distance i walked or i ran in the treadmill.and the battery need to be charged every 48 hrs instead of the five days as your company alleged.finally i was frustrated and i wanted to return your devise for a refund.initially you refused to honor my request and your company even stated that i have to get the refund from Dicks sports company from where i bought your device even though Dick”s has nothing to do with your defective device.finally you refunded the amount when i threatened your company that i am going to expose its dishonest and false claims through Angie’s list and your local BBB and federal consumer protection agency.nowonder now, you are being sued by many of your disappointed and angry customers. i strongly suggest that you stop making these dishonest and false claims,joseph premanandan.M.D.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@rosalyn, your post is probably not the best vehicle for making a point what with it's inaccuracies, lack of punctuation, and spelling errors; they make you seem, dare I say it, uneducated.  Just saying...

As for your point about "needing" a tracker like a Fitbit; you are correct, nobody needs such a device, that said, they can help, sometimes hugely so.  In my case, I lost a bunch of weight (~70 pounds in 6-months) three years ago, two years before buying a Fitbit Surge, and I did it simply by employing exercise (and increasing my food intake when my body signaled it needed more).  I now use the Surge to monitor various metrics regarding performance and health, but they are more for curiosity's sake than any real need; I'd probably be exactly where I am today without a tracker of any sort.

Errr, the above said, there is one exception; I'd be a bit poorer if I didn't have my Fitbit.  Why?  My company offers a substantial discount on my health care because I wear the tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pretty sure it's just a spammer..

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

Could be, but he did make two posts earlier on in this thread last September.

Best Answer
0 Votes