Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you lost weight since you got your Fitbit?

I am the exact same weight as I was when I got my Flex 3 1/2 months ago!

How about you?

I'm hoping with Spring here and Summer around the corner, that my walking will increase. 

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1,791 REPLIES 1,791

I have only had my fitbit a couple days.  I just came back from a seminar and the motivational speaker said that weightloss = 70 percent diet, 30 percent exercise.  This DOES NOT negate all of the wonderful benefits that an active lifestyle gives you.  It is too bad that exercise is sold as a weight loss method and that many start exercising but quit when they do not lose the weight that they hoped.  Nourishing your body with a balanced diet can help all of the crazy cravings go away - eat the right amount to lose about a pound a week - this is what I found worked for me when I lost the bulk of my weight.  Also, moderate exercise can also work as a mild appetite suppressant.   It's all about lifestyle and eating right and exercising hand in hand is key - in my opinion. 

Best Answer

YUP!! That's exactly what I just read here: www.thedietfix.com

He actually goes so far as to say 80% of your weightloss happens in your kitchen. How and what you eat. Exercise is a great add on, but more for overall health than for weightloss. The amount of calories you burn exercising is just so easily "eaten" up afterwards. 

He calls it "you can't outrun your fork" 🙂

I love yoga, pilates, knitting, my fitbit and walking my dog! +++ Started with 100 lbs to lose - 60% there - reclaiming my life and health!
Best Answer

Ohh I am so sorry you developed an ED after being on a diet that included a food diary. 

The book I mentioned in my above post actually talks about that too... it's so easy to fall into that trap of obsession. I actually had a few months when I would be "scale addicted" ... it's gotten better now. I only weigh once a day. It's been way worse! 

Anyway... I would suggest that you start just writing your foods down, without the calories. The diary is more about having an overview of what and how much you've had and as a reminder to eat regularly and healthy meals. Try to leave the calories out of the equation for now. You can add them back in once you feel comfortable with the food diary and don't go back into the Eating Disorder... 

What do you think? Would that help???

I love yoga, pilates, knitting, my fitbit and walking my dog! +++ Started with 100 lbs to lose - 60% there - reclaiming my life and health!
Best Answer

Are you wearing your Fitbit when you swim? I wasn't sure if they were water proof.

Tina

Tina
Best Answer

My weight has been between 161 and 159. After having my baby 15 mo. ago, i knew this would be a challenge to get back to 140 (pre-prego weight). I've started with Rozelyn in her stroller, and I walking about 5 days a week. These past 2 weeks I've done yoga in the morning and jogging in the evening. I've only been increasing activity and really mindful of what I eat. My weight hasn't budged BUT I feel good. 

Best Answer

Down 13.4 lbs in my first month.  Eating less, walking much more...the Fitbit has definitely helped motivate.

Best Answer

Since I've gotten my Flex I've lost 5 pounds, that's a total of nearly 10 pounds since the begining of september when I changed to vegetarian. I'm trying to change from vegetarian to vegan though and it's very hard. 

Getting my steps over 3,000-6,000 is very hard too. I work 70 hours a week but I do mostly sitting.

Best Answer

I just started using Fitbit on Sept. 13 and I lost 6.4 lbs in the first month. My goal is to lose one pound per week, and my bigger goal is to lose 50 lbs by the time I turn 50 next September.

Fitbit has made me aware of how much (or how little) activity I'm getting each day, which is important since I work from home. I now walk a fast 2 miles EVERY morning and work at getting in other activity during the day as well. I also use the food tracking tool to make myself more aware of what I'm eating. I don't really think of it as dieting, but I am watching portion size and mindless eating.

I think it's actually amazing to watch just how well the concept of calories consumed vs calories burned works. It's not a magic bracelet ... you have to make it work by tracking your food and your activity so that you are at a calorie deficit. It's a simple concept, although not always easy.

Even though I have a ways to go to reach my weight goal, I am so encouraged by the postive changes that I've made and by the results that I am starting to see.

Best Answer

No, it wasn’t the reason I bought it. I see how it could motivate people though.

Personally, I like to see my heart rate. It does its job for me. Finally I could tell what time is it.

Best Answer

I got my fitbit flex on September 3rd and since then I have been making every possible effort to walk 10K steps every single day. I have been successful in doing so except a day or two so far 🙂  Lost 13.5lbs over last 6-7 weeks and can really feel some difference in the way I feel.. climbing two floors doesn't hurt that much as it used to a while back.... 🙂 so far so good....

Best Answer

Yes, I got mine last Christmas - a flex.  I lost 27 lbs before falling off the wagon for a couple of months and gained back 13.  I re-booted and started again in August and since then I lost the re-gained 13 plus another 11.  I also upgraded to a Charge HR and donated my flex to one of my sisters.

I also practice intermittent fasting which really accelerated my weight loss.  You can read about it under another thread in this forum.  As of my weekly weighin today, I am now under 200 lbs for the first time in about 5 years.  I have 17 lbs to go to reach my goal.  I'm 57 y/o male.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I could use some tips about logging food.  I've never done it.  I have had some beginning success with cutting out the junk and being more active.  Now I've stalled and it is time to up my game.  I have tried logging on fitbit and found it ridiculously hard, tedious and innacurate.  I mean, I have to say what "type" of banana??  

How do you do it when, say you eat in a restaurant and have no idea about ingredients?  I had Indian food last night - not on the list, and Chinese food the night before - also not listed.  I can't imagine the ingredients or the amounts.  Any suggestions?

I also found that things like Greek yogurt were problematic.  It seems that they think we are mostly eating packaged food with ingredient, calorie, protein lists.  I am trying to eat cleaner (ok, maybe not the Indian and Chinese restaurants).  How do you guys do it?

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

Hi @Bobbinyc

It's true that it can take a little time at first to find the right match for foods that you eat, but once you have logged a banana, greek yogurt, etc. then you can favorite that food and easily pick it from your list of favorites or recently logged foods (on the right of the food tracker). Am a pretty clean eater too and I've found it pretty easy to track once you get going.

When I started using Fitbit, I bought a digital scale, so that I can more accurately measure the food I eat — so I'm not just logging a medium banana, but instead can log a 3.67 g banana! I really find that it doesn't take long and I know it's really helped me with staying within my calorie goals.

I use MyFitnessPal for creating recipes because I cook at home almost every night and it has a great recipe tool which I then can get the per serving nutrition info from and enter it into the Fitbit food tracker. It does take a few minutes, but it's really the best way to log what I eat.

Restaurant meals can be tough to track. If it's a chain restaurant, you may be able to find the nutrition info online. If not, then just try to find an approximate match (on Fitbit or MyFitnessPal) to the dish that you ate. I encourage you to cook at home as much as you can... it's the best way to know for sure what in the food you're eating and how much you are eating!!

I also try to plan ahead for the day. So, if I know what I'm having for dinner, then I log that earlier in the day, so I know around how many calories I have for an afternoon snack etc...Or that maybe I need to get a little extra activity in that day.

I hope that helps! I am a big believer in tracking what you eat. I feel that you have to really KNOW what you're eating in order to make the changes that you want to make. Keep up the good work!!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner thanks so much.  this is really  helpful.  I'll start tracing today.  I'm also going to try MyFitnessPal.  I'm making some soups today and it would be great to be accurate.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

I am glad some else cooks as well….

Best Answer

I got my fitbit for Christmas last year and I've gained 10 pounds! lol I'm hoping it's because I've been getting more fit//muscles?? I started the year using 5 pound weights and I'm up to 10 pound weights.  I haven't gone up a size in clothes so that's a good thing 🙂

Best Answer

I lost 35 pounds.

Best Answer
Yes I have lost weight. I'm now down 6 lbs. I do cook all week from scratch clean mix of protien veggies and low carbs, olive oil, butter. I also bake for my family and we eat little of processed foods.

I track my food as close as I can unless the nutritional info is available then I adjust.
I don't weigh and measure anymore. ..
Although sometimes I should. I also have veggies with every meal. Breakfast Lunch and dinner including a salad.
I'm hoping to lose 30 by Winter 's end.
https://www.fitbit.com/group/22KLTTSpring Into Summer 2016Perseverance and moving on is who I am
Best Answer
Yes! @divedragon good for you!

We are such a fan. He's a cray cray high stepper and amazes us every challenge.
Keep going you got this 👏🏻😃👍🏻
https://www.fitbit.com/group/22KLTTSpring Into Summer 2016Perseverance and moving on is who I am
Best Answer

I've lost 17 kilos (no idea what that is inn pounds). Dropped 2 dress sizes and feel great. Another 17 to go to hit ideal weight. So impressed with this little motivator.

Best Answer