Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm 45 and take Naturethroid for hypothyroidism. Looking for friends.

ANSWERED

Hi everyone!  I am a newbie to fitbit.  I have been entrenched in perimenopause for several years and with it came Hashimoto's (thyroid disease).  I did not become diagnosed until well after the hyper phase so I'm good and hypo-thyroid.  Been taking Naturethroid for a year, stabilized around 2.5 grains using body temp to guide my needs.  

Of course, the weight issue hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm about 40lbs too heavy and the weight loss is stubborn as heck (however, putting on ten pounds over-night is no problem!).  I'm praying that this fitbit will work although I'm not letting the program guide my caloric needs (sticking to about 1850 cals per day).

I'm looking for friends and would love some female friends going through some common things like perimenopause, menopause, hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, 40's and older, etc.

Thanks!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome!  I too battle hypothyroidism, I have been for almost 12 years.  Yes, weight loss is hard to maintain but is achievable, you will need to find your perfect routine!  I have been successful with changing my diet and exercising regularly.  I absolutely love my fitbit!  I find it to be my motivation, I strive to reach my goals daily and feel cheated if I don't. 

Good luck with your journey, happy stepping!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48

Welcome!  I too battle hypothyroidism, I have been for almost 12 years.  Yes, weight loss is hard to maintain but is achievable, you will need to find your perfect routine!  I have been successful with changing my diet and exercising regularly.  I absolutely love my fitbit!  I find it to be my motivation, I strive to reach my goals daily and feel cheated if I don't. 

Good luck with your journey, happy stepping!

Best Answer

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I've only had my fitbit for a few days now but it really has helped a lot already with keeping me going.  I feel almost like I'm neglecting a task if I don't try to get at least 8k steps in.  My glutes and calves are really painful but I know that will go away after a while.  

What have you done to deal with hypothyroidism?  I was on synthroid once and I had a terrible reaction to it right away.  I was scared to get on Naturethroid but glad I did once I started.  It's made a huge difference in my life.  Just wondering if I can finally lose the weight.  If I do lose any, it's only a few pounds then I stagnate or go up.  So far, lost a couple and gained one back but I think it's hormonal and should be losing after a few days again.  At least I really feel it's possible this time.

Do you think 1800 cals are too much?  

Best Answer

You're welcome!  Glad to have helped a little.  I am on synthroid, sometimes I use the generic version (levothyroxine).  Both have worked fine for me, i have been on the same dosage for years now so my levels are normal.  I have been on the weight gain roller coaster...  A few years ago, i lost 30lbs and kept it off for years, then got bored with the same old foods.  Decided to take a break and fell off 😞  I just started back in June and I am down 11lbs and counting)  I went back to the days of old, I currently intake at least 1200 calories and always try to burn more than  I intake.  I make it a daily goal to get at least 10k steps per day, anything extra I look at as bonus Smiley Happy

I find myself taking the stairs more, always taking the longest route to get from point A to B.  Easiest way is to take one day at a time and don't get down on yourself!  If I have a bad day, I just remind myself that tomorrow is another day 🙂

Best Answer

1200 calories!  Wow, you've really got some discipline.  That's great!  I hope I can keep losing at 1800 cals but I know how the body can get used to a routine and plateau.  

What do you eat?  I'm primarily Paleo in that I don't eat grains except rice or corn on rare occasions.  I don't do super low carb because it slows my metabolism.  I do best with 150-200 grams of carbs.  So I eat organic meats, vegs, some fruits, and dairy.  

I've fought weight most of my life and usually kept a fairly good size most of the time.  I wish I would have been on thyroid meds a long time ago.  I remember times when my TSH was 6 or more and docs didn't treat it.  I'm pretty sure I was born with thyroid issues because symptoms from the time I was very small are gone now - which I am immensely grateful for!

11 pounds is great!  I can't wait to be able to say that myself!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I had a total body composition done when I started to gain.  I had gotten to an all time high when I initially began my weight loss journey.  It was discovered that in order for me to have been that weight I was consuming 1600 calories a day regularly.  I am sure that most of those consumed were sweets and carbs!  So I had to change, I was given a 1200 calorie diet which worked out great once I got use to it.  I eat alot of egg whites, fresh veggies and fruits, dairy and grilled or baked meats such as fish, chicken and turkey.  Beef every once in a while, maybe once every couple of weeks.  It was hard at first with so much being taken away at first, but I adjusted.  Don't get me wrong, still have my occasional chocolate chip cookie (my weakness Smiley Happy)  But everything for me is now in moderation..

The fact that I log everything I eat helps me maintain the 1200, I use Myfitenss Pal to record my meals, it syncs with fitbit.  I find their food database to be easier to use.

Best Answer

Thanks for the mention of Myfitness Pal.  I'll look into that.  

I actually find I have a hard time getting the carb levels up if I don't eat potatoes which I get tired of after a while.  Most days I treat myself to a Virgil's Rootbeer.  It's my reward and helps add carbs.  The meats I eat are beef, lamb, duck, chicken, pork and rabbit.  We raise our own some of the meats ourselves so what we eat depends on what's in the freezer but we try to keep a variety.  I also raise a small garden.  Getting really tired of cucumbers and tomatoes at the moment from too much of it from the garden.  

I lost that pound of water I gained yesterday so now I'm back down 2 pounds.  My rolls are shrinking!

Best Answer

I also use MyFitnessPal to record meals.  The really cool part, if you use an app for your phone, go to nutrition, then click on the pie chart, and a calorie breakdown will indicate how many carbs, fats, and proteins were consumed on any given day compared to the goal percentage.  Unfortunately, I cant figure out how to get this info from the website though...

Best Answer

Hi, I completely understand your situation.  I am going to be 44 in a couple weeks and I too have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid .137 mcg/day.  Losing weight is very difficult for me.  It seems no matter how much I do or how good I eat I am stuck. I have about 40lbs to go.  I am also perimenopausal, which makes my journey more interesting. I just bought my Fitbit last week hoping that I can keep myself on track and see where I can improve.  I welcome any support and will reciprocate gladly Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Flylow2-Judy and Bettis36nc!  

Betti, the Fitbit is great!  I hadn't been able to lose no matter how low cal or low carb or low whatever I did. I did exercise before but not consistently.  With the Fitbit, I put in little amounts of walking all day with only about a half hour of strolling on purpose.  On my lowest weight, I lost about 5 lbs (though 10 from my highest weight).  I think that's over a month and a half or so.  It's a definite downward movement which I haven't seen in many, many years.  

But, I caution anyone taking thyroid meds to watch for overmedication.  This just happened to me.  I generally have problems converting my thyroid from storage form (T4) to active form (T3) so it required that I took more meds to compensate.  Well, with the walking, I now convert too well.  I think what happened is that I am producing growth hormone from the exercising - which is fantastic! - but it promotes T4 to T3 conversion.  My resting heart rate was about 130 and my blood pressure 170/105 at the docs office 3 days after stopping meds.  I was really warm, shaky and had headaches.  Blood tests showed normal T4 and very high T3 (7.3 though range is 2-4) even 3 days after stopping meds.  I stopped walking while I was going through this because I was afraid to stress my heart even more.  Today, my body temp and heart rate are within normal ranges and I'm gingerly taking small amounts of meds again.  

After a few days, I missed walking.  Hard to believe.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is interesting you say that because I took a long walk the other day
at lunch and I had vertigo like symptoms. I have talked to my doctor
about these episodes in the past and I have never felt like she completely
understands the reality of my symptoms until my TSH goes wacky. I have
been doing most of my workouts at the gym. It feels safer to me. I also
work on the 5th floor at work so I take the stairs quite often.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Completely understand....had to have my thryoid removed at age 18...I'm now 46...weight is always an issue for me...My mother's side of the family is very obsese.  My aunt for 450lbs before cancer took over.  My mom is strong and heathly...however, I'm not in the greatest shape...I;m pre-diabetic as well...talk about a double wammy!!! I take synthroid .3mg  would like to take off 75-100 lbs.  Would love to work together to take off those extra pounds and have some energy again...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kathy!  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like without a thyroid.  Why did they remove it?  Hyperthyroid?  I found the Fitbit to do wonders keeping me accountable to do my exercise.  For myself, the key is not to push too hard to walk fast.  I lose weight faster when I walk at a moderate pace.  I'll even walk circles in my very small house if the weather is bad.  And if there is a day or two a week where I can't get the steps in, then I don't, but I pick right back up when I can.  I used to forget I needed to exercise after a week or two.  Not anymore.  

It takes time for the body to heal.  I find that moderate exercise encourages the body to heal.  Frankly, I'm amazed that I can walk any distance at all after years of not being able to do much.  So hang in there.  I do a little rebounding on a mini trampoline as well.  Just gentle bounces.  

Oh, and you might want to try getting off wheat to see if your pre-diabetic status disappears.  It works for some people.  Even just for a couple weeks to see if it works.  

Anne

Best Answer

It's hard not having a Thyroid...but I've been this way most of my life.  I had Gaves Disease.  Basicly enlarged and very overactive. I didn't resond to any of the medications...they only worked for a short period then my body would reject them.  I love my fitbit flex...put it on yesterday and haven't had it off yet.  I have a very sedimentary lifestyle.  Work all day at a desk...then too tired to do much when I'm home.

I would love to to the rebounding...but so confused on which one to buy.  Guess I could just grab on at WalMart and see how it works.  

My goal is 5,000 steps per day right now.  I did take a walk with my Mom last night and that helped me get there...My other think is water...I never get what I'm suppose to get into me.  Here it is almost 2 pm and I don't even have 12 oz in.  Seriously need to work on that.

Glad I got to "meet" you...hope we can work together in getting to our goals...

Kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kathy,  I had graves also.  I had the radiation treatment to kill my thyroid 2 years ago and I am still working on getting my medication  right.  I have blood work done every 6 months.  My weight has gone up about 15 pounds.  I think it would have been  more but I have been watching my diet very closely and have started to do exercise tapes in my home.  I just got my flex a few days ago and hope this helps me to get back down in weight.  I have logged my food for the past year on myfitnesspal (on and off) with my phone so it was very easy to link it to fitbit.  I can say I have no processed foods in my home and if I want a treat, I go out and get just one. (I am very good at overeating sweets).  I am only 5'3" and am 48 years old so my goal is to get healthy.  I want to beable to do things once my husband retires.  Wishing you luck with your goals.  I can say that I was so excited to find someone with the same health problems.  Hopefully we can help one another.  

Becky

Best Answer

Hi Becky...so I"m so happy you found me...I'd like to take off 100 pounds...but that may not be realistic...but I'm going to try...Last night I went for a walk with my husband and my mom...they are both in good shape.  I has some trouble with going up the hill...but I did make it...I got my 5000 steps in...it's hard when I sit all day.

One trick is that I had my IT department change my print to the one down the hall...instead of getting 3-5 steps in ...I now get 52-55 in for each time I print.  It adds up quick...feel free to write me anytime and we can work together...

Kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Kathy for the friend request. (my first one, besides my husband lol)  I feel you will be able to loose your weight if you keep at it and track your food and exercise daily.  It's so hard to keep at it but it must be done.  Any time I over eat I can put on a few pounds over night.  With our medical condition, it is very important to take good care of ourselves.  Best Wishes!!

Becky

Best Answer

hi we have a thyroid suffer group here https://www.fitbit.com/group/229CHV

please come and join us

Best Answer
0 Votes

you're funny. I walk cirlces in my house too.. I have a route that is 100 steps.. I do this when I'm a bit short at the end of the day.. My cats follow me around once then find a high spot and stare at me like I'm crazy until I'm done 😄 

I only loose about half of what fitbit says I should loose each week. Thats frustrating. I have to keep reminding myself that my metabolism is slower than average.. even with the medication. -100.4 pounds in 41 weeks means I've worked hard enough for a "normal" person to loose 200 pounds  eeek

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have the same problem with my thyroid. its slow  slow. I have been using the fitbit for 2 months. My weight is the same  up or down a little.

Best Answer
0 Votes