Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm 45 and take Naturethroid for hypothyroidism. Looking for friends.

ANSWERED

Hi everyone!  I am a newbie to fitbit.  I have been entrenched in perimenopause for several years and with it came Hashimoto's (thyroid disease).  I did not become diagnosed until well after the hyper phase so I'm good and hypo-thyroid.  Been taking Naturethroid for a year, stabilized around 2.5 grains using body temp to guide my needs.  

Of course, the weight issue hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm about 40lbs too heavy and the weight loss is stubborn as heck (however, putting on ten pounds over-night is no problem!).  I'm praying that this fitbit will work although I'm not letting the program guide my caloric needs (sticking to about 1850 cals per day).

I'm looking for friends and would love some female friends going through some common things like perimenopause, menopause, hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, 40's and older, etc.

Thanks!

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48

Hi, I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and am still titrating my synthroid to get to the right levels.  I'm 46 and smack dab in middle of menopause. Early, but full force.  I am also not able to really exercise due to spinal stenosis, which is pretty bad.  i have gained about 40 pounds since hurting my back but another 25 since last september and I think that is from my dead metabolism.  although I wonder if yoyo dieting has wrecked it long before hypothyroid.  At any rate, I'm not at the right level yet and hope once I am I can loose some weight.  I am getting really depressed over the weight.  i also got really depressed last september and wonder if that is related?  In saying that within a month of taking synthroid my fatigue improved alot.  that is the best news.  any advise or stories to share?  I'm new here also so anything anyone has to share would be helpful. thanks. 

Best Answer
What is so scary reading these posts is how ineffective our doctors are and how little we require of them. After misdiagnosis ("it's stress" - do they ever say that to men?), and under treatment, I finally went to an endocrinologist specializing in thyroids. He did a full range of tests and taught me a lot about thyroid levels. I then went back to my internist and asked him why he hadn't either done the same or referred me years earlier. So, now I have found a new internist who is much more aggressive about my care. We have to really be pushy about our medical care.
The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
0 Votes

So glad to find this group....I had my thyroid removed last October 1st and the excess weight I gained prior to that has not gone away.  I have exercised all my life, so this is a puzzle to me.....any suggestions would be appreciated...I am on Levo 125....normal levels in every thing except Vit. D3....started 4000 IUs a week ago at Dr. orders.  Hoping this will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to all of this. Been having lots of health issues. I gained 24 pounds in just 3 weeks. Swollen feet, legs and hands. My levels came back normal. But my doctor is doing another test as all my symtoms are showing thyriod. She is putting me on meds in a week. I'm very frusterated as I'm active and eat healthy. I just got my fitbit about 10 days ago. I faithfully walk 12,000-$18,000 steps a day. I am on the 1200 calories a day right now to try and lose. In one week I gained 2 more pounds. I wanted to throw the scale at the wall. I'm like a ballon in my clothes. I normaly weight 148 and now at 172 as of today so. 
Normally when I need to drop a few I can stick to my weight watchers and boom I can lose 5 pounds. I've never flucuated like this EVER.. Oh wait only when pregnant. Any tips would be wonderful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also had to have my thyroid removed and am on levo 125....this has been a journey as I had been a fitness instructor for over 25 years prior and started gaining weight....now up 25 pounds.  Talk about frustration. I never had had a weight problem before until all this happened.  My fitbit is wonderful, but as others have said, you must be faithful for it to work.  Stick to your goals and limits.  I teach yoga classes which is a help in strength as well as tension relieving.  Glad to read all of the positive posts here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CALEE wrote:

WOo hoo you did great

I had Graves disease and ended up getting my thyroid out and then whissssssssh here comes the weight.

I have lost 62 lbs since 5/13 and love it.  You have to get commited and then the rest is easy

CALEE - Thanks for posting this!  This is an inspiration to me, and proof that it can be done. I was diagnosed with Graves' in January, and I am terrified of gaining more weight, but you have encouraged me. Smiley Happy

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Master Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kathy & Becky,

I was first diagnosed as having hyperthyroid last December and after 5 months of treatment with Carbimazole my TT3 & TT4 level are within range. But because my TSH level did not increase I've also been told that I have Graves. I don't have any other symptoms other than sometimes having dry & gritty eyes. I'm a bit disappointed actually because I have been taking care of what I eat, doing at least 15,000 steps a day, going gluten free when possible etc. The only problem I have is I'm having trouble getting enough sleep as I'm too anxious due to a previous break-in and I had to face the intruder by myself since hubby is away at that time. I tend to wake at the same time the incident occurred and I won't be able to sleep after that.

Other than that I feel great. Although, I've been told that I've lost a lot of weight. I live in the tropics but occassionally have to travel to Europe to visit hubby's family. I had the best winter there last year last since I didn't feel the cold so much Smiley Wink Usually I'm the first one to complain it's too cold and I'd rather stay inside. Not this time. I even did my morning walk every morning outside there! And my endo said since I responded well to the medication not to feel disheartened and it is still manageable to increase the TSH level. She never mentioned radiation treatment or surgery as an option.

My query is how long were you diagnosed as having Graves before you were told the radiation treatment & surgery were your only option?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does the Thyroid group still exist on here ? I have tried an old link, but it doesn't go anywhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here for you

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes