Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm 45 and take Naturethroid for hypothyroidism. Looking for friends.

ANSWERED

Hi everyone!  I am a newbie to fitbit.  I have been entrenched in perimenopause for several years and with it came Hashimoto's (thyroid disease).  I did not become diagnosed until well after the hyper phase so I'm good and hypo-thyroid.  Been taking Naturethroid for a year, stabilized around 2.5 grains using body temp to guide my needs.  

Of course, the weight issue hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm about 40lbs too heavy and the weight loss is stubborn as heck (however, putting on ten pounds over-night is no problem!).  I'm praying that this fitbit will work although I'm not letting the program guide my caloric needs (sticking to about 1850 cals per day).

I'm looking for friends and would love some female friends going through some common things like perimenopause, menopause, hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, 40's and older, etc.

Thanks!

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48
Hang in there. Try to focus on all the other positives. I know hard that is because I have been stuck wayyyy too long. For 1 day I dipped below my plateau and it was awesome.
Best Answer

Hi, I am 47 and been hypo for 25 years, just had colon surgery in October and my Fitbit was a present to myself to motivate me to lose weight, live in a healthy happy way. I am looking for friends to share weightloss ideas and tips, thyroid hints too in how to manage weightloss with an extremely unhelpful thyroid. I am also perimenopausal, so would love friends who share similar stories to keep me motivated.

Best Answer

Hi there! I'm 48, diagnosed with hypothyroidism about seven years ago. Gained a ton of weight after my divorce, but I'm ready to stop wallowing now. Smiley Happy I got my fitbit yesterday, took down all my measurements, and tomorrow I will start counting my steps. I got MyFitnessPal for my phone to record my food intake.

I'm a little worried about how the thyroid problem will affect me when I start exercising. I've gotten lightheaded, tunnel vision, heart racing, etc. when working, so I need to make sure I don't overdo it.

I don't know how to add friends yet, but feel free to add me to your group if you want. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi, im 55. I went around and around with my doctor about my thyroid for about 7 years. he claimed it was fine.. as it turns out it was not fine and he has been increasing my medication dosage almost every 6 weeks for the past 9 months. ive been walking daily for 3 years... i started just going around the block and now i walk a minimum of 4 miles a day. My husband and i started a diet last december and its been a long hard road, but with the fitbit he gave me for valentines day and staying on top of my thyroid, ive managed to loose over 120 pounds, im here for you, ill send you a request. youve decided youre going to do this and you WILL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

WOo hoo you did great

I had Graves disease and ended up getting my thyroid out and then whissssssssh here comes the weight.

I have lost 62 lbs since 5/13 and love it.  You have to get commited and then the rest is easy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I also have hypothyroidism. I'm 42. Was on Synthroid for the longest time but switched to Nature-Throid over a year ago. I also had RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery in 2009 & lost 90# from that. I just got a FitBit Surge and am getting ready to implement a workout program as I have a Snap Fitness membership and also do T25 DVD's from Beachbody. Gotta get my fitness on. Hypothyroidism definitely makes it harder!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also have hypothyroidsm. I was diagnosed a little over 6 years ago and up until August of this year I was on Levo. I started looking into thyrpid issues and realized I was having way to many symptoms (i was only being tested for my T4) I had my dr do full labs and come to find out Im anemic, my b12 was really low and tsh was off too. So I asked to be switched to Armour thryoid which so far I love!! I feel alot better and hopefully now I can get this weight have have gain over the years having children. I have about 60-70 lbs to lose, I just upgraded to the fitbit charge HR which i love cause with out the heart rate it was not calculating my work out cal burned accurate. I started a week ago the T25 work out (boy that sure is hard). Im a stay at home mom and don't get out alot, plus its freezen cold so I cant go for walks.. any tips are appricated and anyone who wants to be friends as well

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 53 years young. My body feels old but my mind doesn't! I too struggle with uncontrolled hypothyroidism. It has really packed on the pounds and I need to  lose around 60 pounds. This fitbit is really encouraging me to get out and walk - sometimes I look at my stats and think - gosh I need to bring up my steps! If anyone would like to friend me (I prefer female am married and think my hubby might be uncomfortable with any guys), then lets get together and encourage each other. I look forward to reading and hearing all the different success stories and words of encouragement! Keep it coming, it helps motivate me!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same boat here, sure I will be your friend
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi I understand your plight . My thyroid is been slooow. and I am in the fitness business. I'm married with a family. Get those steps up there.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I do understand your battle.  I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in November of 2013 and had my thyroid removed.  I have had 2 bouts of radiation as well.  As of now, I am on Synthroid.  It seems to be working pretty good now.  At first it just made me tired and I never wanted to do anything.  But I have been working very hard since August to lose weight ( well not so hard in August and September), I have now lost 27 pounds and I am currently on a roll.  The fitbit is helping me so much.  I got it for Christmas and it is like a new toy.  I am constantly checking me steps and I am currently doing a Work Hustle challenge with one of my co-workers, so it is very motivating.  I would love to add you as a friend to motivate and maybe include in the challenges.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issue with the lightheadness.  So much though, that I passed out in the gym in 2013, which is how I found out about my thyroid issues.  I still get lightheaded when I do too much, so I agree, we have to listen to our bodies and not try to overdo it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had my thyroid removed and NOW HYPO, so you got to watch your intake more closely now.

It is important to get your blood work done as directed by your dr

Best Answer

Wow that's awesome.  I'm new here and I was reading some of the posts regarding weight and hypothyroidism.  My endo says my levels are normal; I've been on Synthroid for almost 8 yrs. now.  However, I continue gaining weight even though I work out and watch what I eat.  Two days ago I was 179 and today I'm 182.  According to my primary care Dr. I have gained 20 lbs. in two years....very frustrating to say the least.  I am beside myself and don't know what else to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I watch my caloric intake and try to make sure that everything is even steven.

I went and had full blood work up and I was told that I had metobolic syndrome.  Which from my understanding means that I screwed my metabolic rate up .

I felt like no matter what I did, I would gain weight.

But I am trying to walk it off now.  What choice do you have?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm trying to find info about hypo/weight gain/synthroid too.  I have been slowly increasing in weight and have gotten up to 177 now and all my pants are tight.  So disheartening when I'm doing everything "right".  Eating healthy, walking, working out, etc.  I stopped my synthroid the day before yesterday because i haven't noticed a difference with it other than it making me break out like crazy on my chest and back.  i have read mixed things on whether or not that could/should be done.  i was only mildly hypo and am on .025mg so i don't think it will be a big deal.  my doctor is old school and doesn't believe me about the breakouts being from the med he says he's been using it for 40 years with no problems so i don't think he'd try to put me on any of the other kinds i see mentioned on here.  plus it's the VA (Veteran's Administration) so i don't even know if they carry anything else.  

i'm also on 5 anti anxiety/anti depressants so i'm sure that's not helping.  i'm also working on tapering off as many of those as i can.  *sigh* 

Best Answer
Hi megs1980!!! Well just some advice, you should never stop taking any medication abruptly without speaking with your Dr. first.  I can tell you, as a person who's been on Synthroid for almost eight years, it's one of those meds that takes time to work and don't be surprised if they have to adjust it several times before your levels are normal.  I have had my dosage adjusted many times through the years and my weight never seems to change no matter what I do.  On that note, it doesn't mean you can't lose weight, you just have to find another way to do it.  Fitbit really helps me in maintaining at least 10,000 steps a day and keeps my calorie count in check.  For me, it's a matter of eating small meals several times a day and working out.  It's important not to be sedentary, you have to keep active.  Due to having hypothyroid problems, I don't focus on weight loss so much as muscle tone so I go to the gym 3-4 times a week.  You don't have to kill yourself, you should know your limits.  Muscle weighs more than fat so don't always believe the scale, measure weight differential by how your clothes fit.  I know you said your clothes are tight so that's obviously something you need to work on.  My weight fluctuates daily from 177.5 to 183 and remains in that area, but I still wear the same size clothing.  I really think you should consult your Dr. about what would be right for you; everyone is different.Oh, you mentioned you wanted some new friends, but I don't know how to do that.  I'd be happy to friend you, but you'll have to direct me on how this is done LOL!  I hope I have been of some help and I wish you lots of luck! Bobbi Colucci
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just had bloodwork done and my levels were normal, well the TSH, that's all he told me about.  I don't know about the T3/T4 numbers, I have heard they can be different and that the synth only adjusts one of those numbers...  

I do all those things, the 10k steps, watching what i eat, etc and if i were a healthier weight i wouldn't mind being stagnant but i'm not, i'm overweight.  i should be losing based on what i'm doing and it's not going anywhere 😞  

i have no idea how to do the friend thing either, i've only done a couple posts on here so i'm still figuring everything out!

thanks for writing back though.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - 41 and just diagnosed with Hashimotos too. I need to lose alot of weight. Dr. Kept tellingme I need to be 120lbs...that is well over 100 lbs form where I am now...any advice is appreciated. yes I am watching  what I eat and am working out righ tnow 3 days a week. Feeling frustrated and overwhelmed...thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I have hashimoto disease and just started on naturethroid switching over from synthroid. I am only 27. I have been able to lose weight in a very slow and grueling proccess, if anyone needs some support or advice please contact me. Its really hard but as long as you keep the eyes on the prize and your levels are close to OK you can do it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes