Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fasting

Hello,

Hey everyone just wanted to start a quick topic to see if anyone else has tired, failed, or is curious about Intermittent Fasting. In the case of intermittent fasting (IF), the "diet" actually refers to periods of fasting, meaning you are restricted to eating very little—or nothing at all—for periods of time lasting anywhere from 16-24 hours. It may sound a little crazy, but intermittent fasting has been suggested as an effective weight loss tool, with research supporting its ability to increase fat oxidation, reduce body weight, and accelerate fat loss. 

The central idea behind the implementation of intermittent fasting is to reduce overall calorie consumption, ideally resulting in weight loss. Typically, IF protocols will have the individual undergo a period of intentional severe calorie restriction (ranging from 0-25 percent of the individual's normal daily caloric intake) for a period of 16-24 hours. Following the restrictive phase, the individual returns to relatively normal energy intake for 8-24 hours, depending on which version of IF they are following.

I am doing the 16 hour fast where I consume nothing but water and a cup of black coffee in the mid morning to hold me over. Then I eat my normal range of calories for the day in an 8 hour window. For me this is from Noon to 8pm. I am on my 5th day so can't atest to being an expert but I am loving all the research I have found and was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

Corney,

Do you ever get tired of being an **ahem**? You are free to disagree with the discussion here but at some point you seem to just be trolling as opposed to actually being interested in the topic at hand!? I have stated this time and time again as well as divedragon and others that we do not claim that this is the end all be all diet or that we are some experts on the issue. I personally have struggled with weight issues my whole life and I pride myself on finding something that worked for me. I am happy I didn't have to go to a baratric doctor just to sell me on the some liquid meal replacement or even worse a surgry that is proven to be just as detrimental to my health as keeping the excess weight! Exercise has come naturally to me in the past and is a daily part of my life and it should be in everyone's. But food has always been my problem. A lot of people have this issue and I find IF to be MY answer and it got to the point that so many people asked me what I was doing that I started this discussion to share. This "lifestyle" gives me the oppurtunity to enjoy myself when I eat instead of worring about constantly eating 6 meals a day of eating a diet of grilled chicken and salads. I am able to go out with friend and family and splurge on occasion. I consume my days worth of calories along with a deficit in two LARGE meals and it comes easy to me. I opened up this disucssion like I said to share but also hear from others that might be partaking in the same thing or something similar. I don't claim to be a scholar but I have made it know the those who join that I am more than willing to share my experience and help them with theirs. This seems to bother you and myself and others are just confused on why you get off on being so negative!?

Blake

Best Answer

I take issue with your statement concerning Bariatric Doctors selling clients on some liquid meal replacement or even worse a surgery that has proven to be just as detrimental to their health as keeping the excess weight.  All our clients were morbidly obese, who had tried diet after diet and failed, they all had secondary Medical issues that if left unchecked were detrimental to their health and well being.  The program was closely monitored by the Doctor, Nurses, Myself, Nutritionist and a Psychologist.  After 3 years our sucess rate was over 95% with no fatalities.  The only clients that were failures were the ones that didn't follow the exercise regimen, or cheated on the diet restrictions.  I'm a positive person, that looks at diets, IF and or Fasting as a negative and exercise as a positive.  I've never had a weight problem because I ran for over 25 years and still exercise 5 days a week. I must admit that I've never walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has had long standing weight issues, and therefor can not know what faces you on a day to day basis.  So, I'm forever bowing out out any more discussions on IF and Fasting.  So please stop posting me on any issue concerning IF, or Fasting.  I wish everyone who has chosen this life style good health, and happiness in the future.  I'm not going to change your mind and you are not going to change mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

So please stop posting me on any issue concerning IF, or Fasting.

If you don't want to receive any email notifications of future IF posts, you have to go to the top of the page while you're in the thread, find Topic Options near the top right, and then click on Unsubscribe.  That way you won't get an email every time someone posts here.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Raviv wrote:

If you don't want to receive any email notifications of future IF posts, you have to go to the top of the page while you're in the thread, find Topic Options near the top right, and then click on Unsubscribe.  That way you won't get an email every time someone posts here.

Yes, that’s precisely the way it works: when you take part in a topic, you’re notified by email of any new replies by default. You need to opt out if you no longer want to receive these notifications on a given topic.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have been following the dietdoctor website and started on LCHF on 5th Feb this year at 158.53 lbs, age 63, height 5'1", female and fell naturally into a 16/8 eating pattern, it just felt comfortable for me to do so. Previous to this I was on Weight Watchers which is an excellent program for many people, however I gained weight over several weeks before showing a loss, was bloated much of the time, was often ill and my liver function was falling. Eventually my doctor diagnosed me with fatty liver due to Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and said I had an issue with digesting carbs and no, I was not Gluten intollerant or pre diabetic but would be if I did not change my eating habits immediately. Since being on LCHF I have lost to date 16.97 lbs, weighing in at 141.56 lbs today. I am impressed and I am never hungry on the LCHF plan which I guess is why I have fallen into the 16/8 routine so easily, plus it allows me to get a good power walk in with my dog early in the morning instead of having to concentrate on meals when I have no inclination to eat anyway. I have learned from several medical procedures that it does no harm to fast for up to 3 days if you are so inclined and after one particular surgery I had no inclination to eat for almost five days and they were trying to push food into me, needless to say, it all came back up, you cannot force someone to eat until their stomach is ready for it.

In my humble opinion, LCHF has turned my life around, I have less fatigue issues, in fact I am regaining energy, I also have less arthritis issues and less Irritable Bowel issues, no bloating, and no GORD, and I also find I am mentally in a happier frame of mind.

Knockers like @Corney, can say what they like, they are stuck in a seventies mindset and a seventies food plan which is driven by food corporations, not doctors. Each to their own.

My base metabolic rate is 1152 per 24 hour period, with my walking and other activities I go up to 1300-1600 per day, but my intake varies day to day, it can be as low as 800 cals to as high as 1250 cals and I am gaining in health and strength. In my personal experience LCHF works and so does IF and for me I will remain on this plan for life. I am currently on 10% Nett Carbs, 20% Protein and 70% healthy Fats and when I get to maintenance 126 lbs, my Nett Carbs will gradually increase until I am weight stable.

Good luck to all of you, each has to find what works the best for them, but this plan is very much the way my grandies ate naturally until everything went topsy turvy in the 60's and 70's lol.

Best Answer
I've noticed over the last couple of days that I do get hungry but when I finally eat it makes me nauseated. It bothers me bc during my last pregnancy I had morning sickness all day long for 10.5 months. My daughter was 6 weeks overdue and I was nauseous the entire time so feeling like that really bugs me. Anyone have any ideas how to make that better? I'd almost rather not eat at all. It does get better a couple of hours after I eat.
Best Answer

Congratulations, Ruby on finding what works.  So many people say everyone is different, but they really are not - unless there is some underlying medical issue.  What differs is the discipline people apply to a practice.  Additionally, our scientfic community is rife with highly educated people with very closed minds.  I just watched a documentary where two technologies were developed about the same time back in the 60's.  One was the stint and the other was the scanner capable of scanning the moving heart.  Both were for cardiac care.  Well, the stint became the treatment of choice due to a rich wall streeter putting his money behind it and the scanner fell into disrepute until recently.  The stint is something typically applied AFTER damage is done by a heart attack.  The scanner has the potential to identify ahead of time and fix it before damage.  Bottom line, the medical industry does what makes them money, not what's right for the people.

This is not unlike the dietary guidlines published by the government who take their lead from the medical community.  Add in that the vegetarian community is trying to turn every living thing on this planet into vegetarians regardless of if it's good for them.  I still read article espousing a low fat diet which has been debunked so many times it's rediculous.

Then you have the food industry in which I worked for 14 years.  It's about cost cutting and the ability to process large quantities with fast machines.  Often things are added or formulations are altered to be able to go through the machines.  Any IF protocol reduces any individuals consumption by at least 1/3d and that's 1/3d less money going into the food industries pockets if everyone started doing it. 

The low fat diet was given to us based on a flawed correlation study done in the 50's or 60's.  No real science there, just basically a guess based on a set of data, some of which had no relationship.  I've been eating real butter and cooking with lard and eating steak since I graduated college in 81.  I do not have high blood pressure, diabeties or any other malady that seems to affect a huge portion of our society and is getting worse.  It's getting worse because a bunch of people locked onto an idea and forced this belief on everone else.

Just to continue my tirade, the blanket statement that transfats are bad is not 100% correct.  CLA is a transfat contained in animal and dairy products which helps the human body with fat distribution and use.  The quantity of this transfat increases the more an animal is grass fed.  Processing damages this chemical, but its kind of essential when managing fat.  Yes, the man made transfats like margerine and shortenings are bad.  Oh and margine was always said to be better for you than butter because it was PLANT BASED. 

OK, I'm done for now, sorry!!!

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I'm thinking about going for a super long fasting. Like a straight month of 'whey protein', no foods unless it's from home, fasting for 12 hours a day (6a-6p), 31 straight days. Been eating good and bad foods with a +30 lbs gain.

Best Answer

I have been thinking that is bad idea, very bad idea. You should be thinking how or what do I need to change in my behavior when comes to food. What triggers my hunger etc.

Starving is not a smart answer. You will not stick to your plan for 30 days.

I wish you good luck, if you chose to do it.

Best Answer

I just completed an 8 day fast of nothing but water, tea, black coffee and bone broth.  I lost 7 lbs after refeed.  It's a good way to reset if you've stalled.  It is recommended by Dr. Jason Fung and other's. 

It took about 3 days to get over the initial cravings and hunger.  I did suffer from dry mouth a bit, but some sugar free mints helped.  I also got a few foot cramps, but adding a little salt helped with that as well.  People panic when you say fasting because they think it means starving.  Our bodies are designed to deal with short term food shortages.  I also purchase a blood glucose/ketone monitoring device and tested my blood twice daily during the fast.  For the most part, my glucose stayed up in the 70 range, decrease the last couple of days.  To compenstate a bit, I added some half and half to my coffee and it kicked it back into the 70 + range which is normal.  My ketones were in the 3.0+ range.

Other advantages to fasting include reduced insulin, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, higher stem cell production, higher growth hormone and another condition known as autophagy - the distruction and consumption of dead and dying cells to 'clean up' the body.  The UCLA Longevity Institute recommends fasting for 5 days 3 -4 times a year. 

Be very careful, but don't be discouraged by the nay sayers.  The recommendations by the science, medical and government communites the past 30 years have resulted in nothing but obesity increasing.  Maybe it's time to turn things on their head.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Ashley5683 wrote:
I've noticed over the last couple of days that I do get hungry but when I finally eat it makes me nauseated. It bothers me bc during my last pregnancy I had morning sickness all day long for 10.5 months. My daughter was 6 weeks overdue and I was nauseous the entire time so feeling like that really bugs me. Anyone have any ideas how to make that better? I'd almost rather not eat at all. It does get better a couple of hours after I eat.

What are you eating when you refeed?  Remind me what is your fasting/feeding window?

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Personally I dislike the word – losing weight.

What does it really mean?

When you lose water do you really lose weight?  

When your muscle are loos during your journey is it a weight lost or your unfortunate mistake that an individual made?

People – life is not about your **ahem** weight or at list not how most of people understand it.

Now- when you are 300 lbs + move you behind and start doing something that promotes healthy lifestyle. Start simple walking, 5 min, 10 min up to 30 min a day @ single walk. Do it 2-3 times a day if you able to. You need to drop your weight to somewhere below 300 lbs. If you can do a lifting, not the same lifting as fit people do, get yourself a 5-10 lbs dumbbells and try to do the simplest lifting you are able to. Nothing fancy, simplicity is the key for you. As you progress things will change for better and more advances trainings.

If you under 300lbs and less– 1st is your diet. 2nd is your training. 3rd is the most important – consistency.

I do give a **ahem** what you eat or how is your training going. Consistency of what you eating-doing will give you results. I don’t promise you magic, I promise you real results.

Would you be frustrated – yes, many times, its unavoidable as breaking your own rules when comes to eating. However; you will get up from this misery, stand on your feet and start again, and again and again. You were not born to be a failure or loser, you are a great person who will have a better body, better life much lees health complications. You are strong and here you will get support when you needed the most. If you are on any type of medications always take them as directed by your doctor. When you get skinnier, and skinnier you shall be, than would be a good time to talk to your doc about your meds. Good luck to all of you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm follow a 16/8 protocol. I start at 9 am. I start off with 100% whey protein powder and almond milk. An hour later I eat a nutrigrain bar and an apple. About 2 hours later I have chicken or fish with some veggies and cottage cheese. If I'm hungry after that and it's before my time ends I'll have some trail mix. I've eaten exactly the same thing every single day since I started.
Best Answer

@Ashley5683 wrote:
I'm follow a 16/8 protocol. I start at 9 am. I start off with 100% whey protein powder and almond milk. An hour later I eat a nutrigrain bar and an apple. About 2 hours later I have chicken or fish with some veggies and cottage cheese. If I'm hungry after that and it's before my time ends I'll have some trail mix. I've eaten exactly the same thing every single day since I started.

Protein does spike insuline, so if that's the first thing you take and feel nausiated from that, maybe best not to start with that.  Something a little higer in fat may help.  Try having the cottage cheese first and follow with the whey and almond milk later.  Also, that doesn't sound like a lot of calories.  Try adding some avacado or other good fat to your meal as well.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Ashley5683 wrote:
I've eaten exactly the same thing every single day since I started.

I'm sure this a short term thing, but variety is a HUGE deal when it comes to health.

There are micronutrients and food interactions that we don't yet fully understand, and you could be missing a lot of them if you don't have a wide variety of foods.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

Well Said!!!

I use: Fitbit Charge HR, My Fitnes Pal

“Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you, and be silent.”
Best Answer

@divedragon wrote:

Protein does spike insuline, so if that's the first thing you take and feel nausiated from that, maybe best not to start with that.

Insuline is just one out of the many hormones that regulate our body. The way they work is very complex and you probably shouldn’t spend too much time trying to "optimize" them, "tweak" them or "outsmart" them towards weight loss. As long as whatever diet you end up chosing puts you in a caloric deficit, things like macronutrient split, the order you eat your macronutrients, the frequency of your meals etc. do not matter much, or they are secondary.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have to do 18 hours of fasting to get any results, then eat everything in a six hour window.  

Best Answer

Yes, as a woman it takes longer, and you must restrict calories even during your eating time window.  I fast 18 hours and eat for six.

Best Answer

Hi hawkinsblake

I'm currently doing the following, and don't know what it would class as....

Weetbix at 6.30,

Toasted chicken and cheese sandwich at 8.30,

Water (2L+) throughout the day,

Maybe a banana at 15.00 if I really need to get the edge off, I normally go for a 30 minute run so I don't feel hungry.

Meat and salad at 18.30-19.00.

What would this class as, and am I doing myself any good? I'm feeling a bit constipated, ready to crash at 9pm, but my eyesight seems sharper (could be the absence of sweets re my eyes)

You seem to be pretty experienced with IF, so I thought I'd ask you.

Best Answer