Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fasting

Hello,

Hey everyone just wanted to start a quick topic to see if anyone else has tired, failed, or is curious about Intermittent Fasting. In the case of intermittent fasting (IF), the "diet" actually refers to periods of fasting, meaning you are restricted to eating very little—or nothing at all—for periods of time lasting anywhere from 16-24 hours. It may sound a little crazy, but intermittent fasting has been suggested as an effective weight loss tool, with research supporting its ability to increase fat oxidation, reduce body weight, and accelerate fat loss. 

The central idea behind the implementation of intermittent fasting is to reduce overall calorie consumption, ideally resulting in weight loss. Typically, IF protocols will have the individual undergo a period of intentional severe calorie restriction (ranging from 0-25 percent of the individual's normal daily caloric intake) for a period of 16-24 hours. Following the restrictive phase, the individual returns to relatively normal energy intake for 8-24 hours, depending on which version of IF they are following.

I am doing the 16 hour fast where I consume nothing but water and a cup of black coffee in the mid morning to hold me over. Then I eat my normal range of calories for the day in an 8 hour window. For me this is from Noon to 8pm. I am on my 5th day so can't atest to being an expert but I am loving all the research I have found and was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

Magnesium is pretty good at getting your bowels moving, and most people are deficient anyway.

I take 500mg before bedtime, and it not only helps relax me so I sleep better, but it also helps get things going in the morning.

I started taking it for migraines, and those were both happy side effects.

Just watch the dosage.  More is not better.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Raviv I have really bad IBS and have tried everything taken all medication, and vitamin comos and nothing worked.  Magnesium pills did nothing either.  The only thing that worked was a lod FODMAP diet elimination gluten and HFCS I was regular for the first time in ages, but since starting intermittent fasting I have been constipated again.  So it looks like this is the wrong thing for my body.

Fitbit One + MyFitnessPal = - 100lbs
::You can't outrun your fork ::
Best Answer

@LocoMutant wrote:

@Raviv I have really bad IBS and have tried everything taken all medication, and vitamin comos and nothing worked.  Magnesium pills did nothing either.  The only thing that worked was a lod FODMAP diet elimination gluten and HFCS I was regular for the first time in ages, but since starting intermittent fasting I have been constipated again.  So it looks like this is the wrong thing for my body.

Have you discussed with your doctor?  Have you tried additional fiber drinks when on IF?  IF does recommend higher protein content in your meals which could be leading to it.  I used to have really bad indigestion and took those Prilosec type drugs for too long and developed chronic diarreha.  I've been off them a long time now and gotten some better.  IF actually helps me with that as did drinking a lot of keifer and eating lacto-fermented veggies such as homemade sourkraut.  Have you tried probiotics?  It may also just be a matter of time to get fully healthy again.  How long have you been attempting IF?

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I find that getting off a fast, it would be very easy to be extremely hungry.  So, my suggestion is to get  4 individual size glass containers (3 cups & 1 .50  cup measurement - can get it at dollar store), fill each with balanced, protein, carbs, veggies, and healthy fats (avocado or milk, yogurt, grated cheese) and eat nothing else but these pre-portioned food.  It would make you stay focused and satiated.  hope this helps 🙂

Best Answer

Hey Hawkinsblake,

May I ask how do you eat between 12-8pm?  Do you only eat 2x times during the 8 hour window and about how many calories between those 12-8pm?  I would love to try this method, it seems that I am an active person and I'm afraid I wouldn't have the energy to run or do my high intensity workouts.  I'm also on my 3rd week coffee free and substitute with lemon water and I drink decaf coffee if I have the craving for coffee taste.  

You can email me your response if possible at bloom224@gmail.com  Thanks so much for sharing your experience with IF.

Best Answer

So I'm really hungry today for some reason. I  haven't experienced hunger like this since the first few days of the protocol.  I don't know exactly how many calories I ate last night as it was a resturant and I had to guess and interpolate the meal in the log, but I was also really full when I was done.  My estimates came out to around 1600. 

I got up this morning and jogged 2 miles.  This was the first time I was able to run that distance without walking some of it.  As I was showering and getting ready, I really wanted breakfast and then when I got to work, someone had brought in a couple of boxes of what I"m told are the best cinnamon rolls around.  I resisted all of the tese temptations and did my walk at lunch time as well, but I'm pre-occupied (mentally) with food.  As I write this, it is 3:23 pm, so I could technically eat something now and still have fasted for over 17 hours, but supposedly growth hormone is highest at the end of a fast and I want to go to the gym and do some lifting this evening before I actually break-fast. 

Of course, I could just drop down and knock out some pushups.....no, just a couple more hours....

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Divedragon,

I understand your pain! I came into the office Monday morning to two boxes of hot Krispy Kreme Dounuts in the break room. But like you I kept myself busy and moved on! Towards the end of the workday I was stressed and found myself opening the box just to have a peek. The moment I opened the box I told myself I really could eat one if I wanted one but at the same time why? Why would I want one. The human body naturally seeks calories and the higher the calories the more we crave it. I didn't break and was so proud of myself......I AM IN CONTROL. It's simple but such a powerful thing when it set in yesterday. 

Super happy that you shared your story about passing on the "Best Cinnamon Rolls Around"!

You're an inspiration to us all!

Blake

Best Answer

Well, I made it!  I didn't succumb and got back to the hotel for my evening resistance training.  Afterwards, I walked to a nearby restrurant where I had a beet salad with goat cheese and a salmon steak (4 oz).  At the end of the meal, I felt full, but know I didn't get all the calories I should have, even with the two scotches with which I washed it down.  I was so tired though I headed back and pretty much went right to bed.  Got a pretty good nights sleep and today I'm no where near the hunger I was yesterday (nor nearly as tired).

I got up and did about 6k (steps) walk/jog this morning before coming in.  Lunch is here in another 30 minutes on which I'll consume additional steps around the streets of Topeka!!  Being less tired and no planned workout this evening, I'll get an early meal and try to get my calories up to where they should be.  Cycling calories may have its own benefits, so maybe I should eat a little extra tonight.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Hello! I just started the Fast Diet this week, I plan on fasting two days a week, my plan has women eating 500 cals on their "fast" days. I have watched the BBC Documentary "Eat, Fast, Live Longer"  I gave it a shot earlier this year, but didn't stick with it. Boo on me!

I have gained about 10 # in the last year, and I was already a bit over my ideal weight last year. I'm also getting back into running, so that should help too.  I plan to give this way of eating a solid effort for 10 weeks and see how that goes, hopefully it will be successful and become a way of life.  My plan says when you reach your goal weight, you can go down to one day a week of 500 cals for maintenance, then if you gain, you go back to two days of fasting until you get back to your ideal weight range.

I started the week at 165#, when I did a health assessment for my insurance, it put me at a BMI of 26, which is overweight.  Talk about a wake up call!  I thought I had just vanity pounds to lose, this is serious!  Action time!  My first goal is to get back in the healthy range, which will be 159#, then I will work on the vanity pounds.  Ideal weight is 135.  My goal is 2# loss per week.  I will check in at least weekly.  It's so inspirational to see everyone's success.

Best Answer

Welcome back to IF.  Assuming you're fasting purely for the weight loss, then it sounds fine, but if you're fasting for the health benefits, going back to 1 day from 2 after reaching goal weight might be something to reconsider and just trying to up calories on non-fasting days.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of fasting, but eating 500 calories.  Each time you eat, your body is going to release insuline and other hormones and take you out of ketosis - the benefit to the brain.  I'm not an expert in physiology so I can't say for sure and I've seen that practice before.  Regardless, I wish you luck and success.  Keep us posted on your progress.  I'd love to hear that it is working.

I have gained about 10 # in the last year, and I was already a bit over my ideal weight last year. I'm also getting back into running, so that should help too.  I plan to give this way of eating a solid effort for 10 weeks and see how that goes, hopefully it will be successful and become a way of life.  My plan says when you reach your goal weight, you can go down to one day a week of 500 cals for maintenance, then if you gain, you go back to two days of fasting until you get back to your ideal weight range.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
Best Answer

No weight in this week as I didn't go home on the weekend.  Instead went to visit a friend in DC area.  I maintained my fasting and exercise program dispite the cold rain that fell the entire weekend.  Sunday got up and and did a jog, the through airports the rest of the day.  Made 20k steps before hitting the hay around 8:30 pm for a nice long sleep.  6am, I was on the street, walking/jogging again and had my 10k step goal taken care of before getting to work.  Should be a strong day for me with some strength training on tap for the evening.

I'm both excited and apprehenisve about the weigh in this coming Friday.  I think I'll do ok, but two weeks is time to loose control.  Trying not to stress too much.  think I'll try some HIIT tomorrow morning and Thursday.  Friday will tell the tell.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

My weight loss over the two weeks was not as much as I'd hoped, but I still lost 3 lbs for the two weeks.  I may have had calorie creep due to all the traveling and eating out I did, especially on the weekend with friends.  But, 3 lbs is 3 lbs closer to my goal. 

The hunger has gotten even easier to deal with and some nights I feel like I could skip dinner as well (zero calories all day), but I've forced myself to eat. Still, I may give it a try one of these days.  Where I am working now has a day every month in which they honor everyone's birthday for the month by bringing in treats (treat day).  It all sits on a table right next to my desk.  Today is one of those days and there is a phycological desire to partake, especially watching everyone else come up to 'graze' on the offerings.

Yesterday, I felt good during my morning walk/jog and in fact jogged most of the 3 miles.  I had a good feeling that I remember feeling back when I used to run a lot.  My gate was steady and smooth.  Today; however, my legs were sore and my stomach a little upset, so I didn't run hardly at all - but I still walked and got in 7k in steps.  I'm doing a cookout tonight for some of my collegues at the hotel, so probably won't get a weight exercise in.  Maybe I can do pushups between flipping hamburgers!

I'm still very happy with the fasting protocol.  I can see my body changing in the mirror and I"m down to my last notch on my belt.  Energy is still very high and I've been averaging over 15k in steps per day, except for this past weekend.  I took Sat and Sun completely off and didn't even make my daily goal, but my body was feeling the exersion of last week.  I did "2 a days" last Mon and Wed with HIIT thrown in on Thru.  I get up at 5 am every morning to walk/jog and try for a weight training after work.  I was sore all over so took the weekend to rest and recover.  Takes longer now in my 50's than it did in my 20's...

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Divedragon,

3 pounds is still three pounds! About 2 grapefruits worth of fat off of our body! Congrats! I hear you on the treats at work. Past week was Customer Service Weel aka all the sales reps at my company were constantly dropping off Krispy Kreme and Halloween candy! I with stood the temptation and used my "treat" to counter act. I have been buying yoplait whips! and tossing them in the freezer. They are so good and let me get my sweet craving taken care of with only 140 calories. 

I have been holding steady in weight for a little while but I am pleased to say I have lost more! About 10 pounds back I had to set myself a new goal weight on Fitbit and now at 202 lbs I am about to have to reset it again! So happy with this lifestyle. I had another huge burrito from Chipotle last night and even had to get extra meat to help me reach my calories and macros which we mentioned before when do you ever get to say that on a "traditional" diet!? 

Last week I pulled a muscle in my back lifting but took a day off and just added a little more cardio to make up for the loss. I probably should have taken a real rest but I get to antsy sitting around on my butt after becoming so acitve. Ran 5 miles this morning in an hour which isn't fast but I could barely run one without dying a year ago so I am happy to no end.

Starting a new lifting protocol next week and super excited about it. I will let you know how it goes. 3 days of HIIT with weights and then 3 days of strength targeting the same groups as in the first 3 days. 

Godspeed everyone!

Blake

Best Answer
0 Votes

So you and I are about the same weight.  My goal is 180, what's yours?  Maybe we can help motivate each other to get there.  Congrats on overcoming the plateu.  That can be both tuff and frustrating.  So easy to fall back on the excuse our bodies are hanging on to fat where in reality, its a consequence of our progress (irony).  Upping the intensity of our exercise is what is really required, but that can take a touch of sado/masochism.

Take care of that back.  A day or so rest can do wonders.  I did that last weekend and have actually seen gains (in strength) this week.  Both Tuesday and Today I jogged most of my step count in the morning - about 3 miles total.  I am starting to get those feelings (albeit short lived) that I use to have when I could run all day.  Yesterday, I couldn't have run if I had to, but backing off a day and just walking seemed to rebound me enough.  Rest is as important as exercise, but more difficult for us when we're "in the groove".  I don't get enough sleep on the road for sure and that negatively impacts my progress as well.  I'm taking steps to correct that.

Only one day weight lifting this week just due to time, but I'm flying home today, so I can hit my bowflex tomorrow.  Traveling makes it very difficult which is why 5 am and I are getting so familiar.  I'm waking up now 30 seconds before my alarm.  When it comes to weights, I'm only doing compound exercises such as bench, military, lat pulldowns, rows and squats.  I am trying to do 3X5's, 3X8's and 3x10's (3 sets of 5 reps, 3 sets of 8 reps and 3 sets of 10 reps with decreasing weight.) with the exception of the squats.  Squats I'm doing lighter and more in support of getting my running back - otherwise I'm too sore to run.

I too am happy with the lifestyle.  The meal I eat is much more enjoyable than the 3 I used to eat.  I will, at some point, go back to an 8 hour feeding window, but for now, I'm staying with the 4.  I am starting to see the body I could have just under the thinning layer of fat and I'm excited about the future.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

Another week and another weigh in and another successful week on this wondeful program.  Drum role please......My new weight is 197.5 lbs!  I have reached a milestone in dropping under 200 for the first time in about 5 years.  I'm loosing weight and I'm eating well.  Just the other night I invited several collegues to join me in a burger cookout at the hotel where we are working.  We had burgers of lamb with feta chesse, bison and grassfed beef served on 100% whole wheat buns.  With that I grilled zuccini, sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar glaze and carmelized onions.  For appetizers, I service tomato, goat cheese and basil on sourdough french bread and of course we had some nice wine.  I had some left overs which I ate during my travels last night with a couple of jacks and diet.

It's not just the weight loss that excites me either.  When I look in the mirror I can see the body emerging that I want.  Muscles are getting more defined and just a general look of healthy-ness is coming through.  I've dieted many times in the past, but have never experienced the change in body like I am now.  I lost weight sure, but I was that proverbial skinny fat - Just a smaller version of my fat self.  This includes my Army days when I could run 8-10 miles without stopping and run 2 miles in 12 minutes after doing 100 pushups and situps.  I am so motivated.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

That is so very cool!

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

Divedragon,

What is your name? I feel weird when I write in your fitbit name hahah. 

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you and pretty happy myself that I have been able to see the progress in you like I have seen in myself. I couldn't agree more with you on the looking in the mirror and really seeing the change for the better not just a smaller fat person hahaha. 

I won't try and still the spot light but I weighed in this morning at have dropped to 200 lbs. exacltly! I keep trying to convince people how awesome IF is and what it has done for me. I have lost weight and gained weight and I can diet pretty well for a short period of time but this has been so easy and the results are so worth it. Curious to see how the new weight routine will work out on top of IF. 

I wish I could have been at that cookout! I am hungry just reading it! Bison burgers are the shizz! 

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Blake

Best Answer

@hawkinsblake wrote:

I won't try and still the spot light but I weighed in this morning at have dropped to 200 lbs. exacltly! I keep trying to convince people how awesome IF is and what it has done for me. I have lost weight and gained weight and I can diet pretty well for a short period of time but this has been so easy and the results are so worth it. Curious to see how the new weight routine will work out on top of IF. 

Blake

Spot light is big enough for everyone!  Good job.  We are both neck in neck with this weight loss now, so let's keep each other motivated.  You are right and I'm in the crusade as well on the benefits of IF.  I intend to reach my goal weight, then go to a doctor to have a complete blood panel done along with a physical.  If everything works like I believe it will I'll post those results publically. 

As to your weight routine, try to do it at the end of your fast when growth hormones are at the highest, then make sure you have a very high protein break-fast!

Tom

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know for sure if intermittent fasting is responsible, but something has changed.  For 20+ years I've had, for lack of a better term, a slight hemotoma on my chest.  It was just a bright red skin tag type thing that was a prolific bleeder if ever opened (opened only once when I first investigated it all those years ago).  I noticed this morning it's gone!  A red dot is still there, but that is all that remains so far.  After 20+ Years though, the only really I've done different is the fasting, so....

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes