Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fasting

Hello,

Hey everyone just wanted to start a quick topic to see if anyone else has tired, failed, or is curious about Intermittent Fasting. In the case of intermittent fasting (IF), the "diet" actually refers to periods of fasting, meaning you are restricted to eating very little—or nothing at all—for periods of time lasting anywhere from 16-24 hours. It may sound a little crazy, but intermittent fasting has been suggested as an effective weight loss tool, with research supporting its ability to increase fat oxidation, reduce body weight, and accelerate fat loss. 

The central idea behind the implementation of intermittent fasting is to reduce overall calorie consumption, ideally resulting in weight loss. Typically, IF protocols will have the individual undergo a period of intentional severe calorie restriction (ranging from 0-25 percent of the individual's normal daily caloric intake) for a period of 16-24 hours. Following the restrictive phase, the individual returns to relatively normal energy intake for 8-24 hours, depending on which version of IF they are following.

I am doing the 16 hour fast where I consume nothing but water and a cup of black coffee in the mid morning to hold me over. Then I eat my normal range of calories for the day in an 8 hour window. For me this is from Noon to 8pm. I am on my 5th day so can't atest to being an expert but I am loving all the research I have found and was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

@hawkinsblake wrote:

Divedragon,

I won't try and still the spot light but I weighed in this morning at have dropped to 200 lbs. exacltly! I keep trying to convince people how awesome IF is and what it has done for me. I have lost weight and gained weight and I can diet pretty well for a short period of time but this has been so easy and the results are so worth it. Curious to see how the new weight routine will work out on top of IF. 

Hey Blake,

How goes it?  I just did another weekly weighin and lost another 2.1 lbs.  down to 193.5 and down 46 lbs on the year.  13.5 lbs to goal!  Intermittent fasting is awesome.

Tom

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

My question is how are you learning good nutrition from this? Or is the plan to do this for the rest of your life? Genuinely curious.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili wrote:

My question is how are you learning good nutrition from this? Or is the plan to do this for the rest of your life? Genuinely curious.

Nutrition is vitally important regardless of your eating protocol.  Intermittent fasting in and of itself does nothing to etiher promote or deny good nutrition.  I've learned good nutrition over many years of reading and study and my personal philosophy is often opposed to the mainstream.

Intermittent fasting is just an eating protocol.  It is a method where you do not restrict what you consume, only when you consume it.  The idea is that during the fasting period, your hormones more evenly regulate themselves and you cells, having less exposure to insulin and other similar hormones become more sensitive to them.  It is also believed based on animal studies that the brain may actually prefer the energy dervied from ketones (the energy created from fat metabolism) rather than glycogen (blood sugar created from digesting food).  It seems that in addition to less insulin in the system over time, other hormones such as growth hormones increase.  This has been shown in animal studies to stimulate stem cells into forming new nurons in the brain and other areas of the body which may be 'damaged'.  Because of this and the preferred energy source of brain cells, there is evidence this protocol may inhibit if not prevent age related cognative diseases such as alzhiemer and huntingtons. 

When our gnome was created, we were still in the hunter/gatherer mode and didn't have access to food 24/7.  It makes total sense then that our bodies developed to go without food for extended periods of time.  When food was avaiable such as after a kill, the meat had to be consumed quickly so as not to spoil.  Thus, we developed in an environment of feast and famine.  Many, if not most wild animals live the same way today.  Virtually all predatory animals eat only every two or three days.

And then, if one doesn't subscribe to the evolutionary standpoint of human development, there are oh so many references to fasting in virtually all religions of the world.  Perhaps these weren't just for spiritual enlightenment, but to benefit the health of 'flock' as well.

After two full months of practcing this protocol, my energy level has been very high.  I seem to be thinking more quickly and my overall health has been improving.  While I'm certain many of these benefits are from the loss of weight, others are from the fasting.  I have quickly become a strong proponent of this protocol.  Yes, this will be something I intend to practice for the rest of my life.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
I began doing this sometime ago. It has been helping me tremendously. I only eat between 7am-3pm and then I begin fasting. It's about a 16 hour fast a day.

I didn't do it to reduce calories or for weight loss. Ever since I dumped the sugar and grains, my weight has been coming down since I am calorically deficient everyday, naturally, with no hunger or lack of energy. I am at 136 right now and don't really care to loose more at this point.

I started this fasting regimen to reduce insulin and build sensitivity to it. I am completely insulin resistant but I have not been diagnosed as a diabetic. You know that you have to be almost dying to get a diagnosis of diabetes in this country. They don't care that a slice of bread sends my blood glucose to 210. I have no glucose tolerance at all.

Anyways, I did my blood work recently, after doing this fasting regimen for about two months now and my fasting glucose has dropped to 76. My A1C 5.1, so it dropped from the 5.6 it was before. I had plateaued a little in my weight before starting this and it actually revved up my weight loss to the weight I am now. I feel more energized than ever and have a much better nights sleep. It has also helped with nighttime acid reflux.

So, its a good thing to try. I don't think I would be very comfortable being a a few days or even an entire day without eating so I decided to do it like this, on a daily basis instead, and I haven't even felt it. I've just felt better.
Best Answer

@divedragon- thank you for answering my question. I am genuinely curious about this practice. I am like a toddler so for me this is not an option- I would be the headline everyday "Raging Hungry Russian Strikes Again". And I'm sure with patience and practice I could be fine with it, but personal choices, blah blah- I am sure you've heard it all. Much luck to you in this journey!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Rex Feral - Both my eating pattern and my reasons for eating this way are very similar to yours. I eat only between 8AM and 4PM. I have lost 115 pounds total and don't believe I need to lose any more weight. I am more concerned about insulin resistance. I don't have a diabetes diagnsosis but that is due more to my avoidance of doctors and my determination to take my health into my own hands rather than wait for an official diagnosis. My HbA1C (tested myself using a home test) has gone from a high of 5.7 to 5.0 the last time I measured it. Most people who do intermittent fasting this way tend to skip breakfast, but I like eating breakfast and find it easier to just stop eating later in the day. For me this is working in combination with a paleo low carb eatng plan. Life is good.

Best Answer

I'm a 62 yo woman and I pretty much find that the only way I can actually lose weight is through intermittent fasting.  I eat during an 8-hour window between 6:00 AM - 2:00 PM (about 1100-1200 calories), then fast the rest of the day and evening and into the next morning. I find it takes a lot of focus to stay on this kind of a regime but when I do manage it, I really get results.

Best Answer

1missydog 

I would really talk to your doctor b4 you doing it.

Your life is important too. Please be smart.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Glad to hear from you 1missydog.  I just started IF (eating in the 8 hr window).  I'm 58 and a woman and most of what I've researched have been from young males/females.  Couldn't find anyone out there our age and gender doing it and their experiences.  How long have you been doing it and with what results/side effects?

Best Answer

While I am a male, not a female, I'm am 57.  I've been doing it since October and I love it.  I'm not only seeing gains, but I feel better and several health issue I was developing are going away.  When I've been doing it 6 months, I'll  go to the doctor and get a full work up.  We'll see if it there are scientific evidence it's good or me.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I am a 67 year old woman. I fast on a 16/8 schedule. I have had absolutely no ill effects. Here is the best article I found on women and fasting: 

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/women-and-fasting-part-10/

In fact Dr Jason Fung has a great series of videos as well as blog posts on IF that are well worth taking a look at. The bottom line is that IF won't hurt you. Young women with low bodyfat are not the one's we should be comparing ourselves too,

Best Answer

Keep us posted!  Although I have just started IF, I had my lab work done today.  I'll use it as a baseline as I go along this journey.  This is only day 4 but I was amazed at how easy it was to complete my 16 hr fast today.  I'm an ICU RN and the mornings are extremely busy so getting through the morning tomorrow at work should be pretty easy.  I actually do IF every day I work without knowing it!

Best Answer

Thanks for the link to Dr. Fung's article.  I will certainly check it out.  I agree, IF will not hurt and in fact, I like the idea of having a "closed" sign to signal no more eating!

Best Answer

Cotonpal

I'm almost through watching Dr. Fung's "Aetiology of Obesity" series.  It is an awesome series and makes so much sense!  Thank you for the link!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My only councel would be not to get lulled into a false sense of fasting.  When I've told people about the program, fully half have come back with, 'Oh, I do that any way cause I never eat breakfast' or words to that effect.  What they don't consider are the little bites or sips of calories they do during that period that void the effects.  Coffee with cream or sugar, a nibble of this or that.  A soda or tea.  They often don't even realize they're doing this.  I watched one of these people and secretly recorded everything they consumed and showed them after - estimated at about 500 calories they didn't even realize they were consuming.

@kcarmi wrote:

I'm an ICU RN and the mornings are extremely busy so getting through the morning tomorrow at work should be pretty easy.  I actually do IF every day I work without knowing it!

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Kcarmi - I'm glad you like the Fung talks. He has a book coming out in March that can be pre-ordered on Amazon. I don't think it is going to contain anything very different than what he says in his talk.

Best Answer

Whoa!  I am just reading this. 

I think I will like to try this IF for myself and see how I do. I am a woman, 48, who has done full 24 hour fasting in the past, just to give my body a rest from meals, but have not done a consistent over a time period kind of fasting before.  I will like to lose some pounds.

So if I understand correctly, For the 16/8 program

In a 24 hour time frame

You pick any 16 hour period during which you eat nothing other than drink water and perhaps a coffee/tea.

Then for the next 8 hrs following, you eat your calorie intake or less.

Repeat.

Best Answer

@Darlynn wrote:

So if I understand correctly, For the 16/8 program

In a 24 hour time frame

You pick any 16 hour period during which you eat nothing other than drink water and perhaps a coffee/tea.

Then for the next 8 hrs following, you eat your calorie intake or less.

Repeat.

You understand correctly!  16 hours need to be continuous and contiguous.  Enjoy!

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

Hello everyone! Glad to see some new people have found this group and I apologize I have not commented or updated this in quite some time but I have been a busy bee. I thought I would show some numbers to keep all of you up to date on my IF lifestyle.

On the day after Christmas it will officially be 6 months of IF with maybe 2 weekends off.(Mind you due to the confusion I lost weight on both of those breaks).

The results:

Starting weight March 2015: 252lbs and 35% body fat (Obese range of the BMI scale)

Today December 2015: 195lbs and 15% body fat.

A loss of 57 lbs and 20% body fat!!!!!!! In 6 months!!! Why is this just catching on the mainstream. Mind you it takes work and extreme dedication but the results speak from themselves. Everyone let me know how you are doing and if you ever have questions ask away or private message me and I will be happy to help.

Blake

Best Answer

Make that 59lbs as of this morning!!!!!

Best Answer