Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fasting

Hello,

Hey everyone just wanted to start a quick topic to see if anyone else has tired, failed, or is curious about Intermittent Fasting. In the case of intermittent fasting (IF), the "diet" actually refers to periods of fasting, meaning you are restricted to eating very little—or nothing at all—for periods of time lasting anywhere from 16-24 hours. It may sound a little crazy, but intermittent fasting has been suggested as an effective weight loss tool, with research supporting its ability to increase fat oxidation, reduce body weight, and accelerate fat loss. 

The central idea behind the implementation of intermittent fasting is to reduce overall calorie consumption, ideally resulting in weight loss. Typically, IF protocols will have the individual undergo a period of intentional severe calorie restriction (ranging from 0-25 percent of the individual's normal daily caloric intake) for a period of 16-24 hours. Following the restrictive phase, the individual returns to relatively normal energy intake for 8-24 hours, depending on which version of IF they are following.

I am doing the 16 hour fast where I consume nothing but water and a cup of black coffee in the mid morning to hold me over. Then I eat my normal range of calories for the day in an 8 hour window. For me this is from Noon to 8pm. I am on my 5th day so can't atest to being an expert but I am loving all the research I have found and was just curious to see if there is anyone else out there.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

@divedragon wrote:

Make sure you're exercising in a fasted state. If you can, do resistance training just before you break your fast.  Growth hormones are at their highest at that point and will help building the lean mass to help burn more calories in the long run.  That way you won't become the proverbial "skinny fat".

Here is an interesting article titled "body composition changes associated with fasted versus non-fasted aerobic exercise". It’s co-written by a number of authors that are well recognized in the field of sport nutrition, including Alan Aragon. The article basically says it doesn’t matter whether you are exercising in a fasted state or not.

As to "manipulating hormones" via nutrient timing, it’s probably a lot more complicated than that. In the end, what works is eating less than you expend.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not taking dieting advice from a nephrologist unless I have kidney disease and need to follow a renal diet due to renal issues or failure..or being on dialysis...and I guess all my anatomy and physiology books are incorrect on the brain needing glucose to properly function. A&P books this doctor was supposed to have learned from as well. if this Dr is such an expert on diabetes I am wondering if he has ever seen a person in a diabetic coma because their glucose dropped too low..or had a pt with low blood glucose? It isn't pretty..and blood glucose can drop if you exercise too much..so if you aren't eating and over exercise you could be causing yourself issues. Everyone should be discussing this with their providers in case of medication (some meds need you to eat for them to work properly) or other disease processes....this can be very harmful. I can only imagine the harm some people who don't know they have an underlying health issue are doing to themselves when they follow fads like this. If you want to do it, go to the provider first don't listen to a doctor on the internet say it is all good.

If the door doesn't open, it isn't your door.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

I'm tired of defending aerobic exercise as a healthy way to not just lose weight but also lose body fat.  Anyone thinking about IF or the Ketogenic diet should talk with their Doctor first, He/She is the only one who knows about your health and can give you the pro's and con's of both as it regards your personal health.  Everyone's body and health is different, any posts here touting ones's sucess with either plan is only ancedotal and pertains only to that persons situation.

To be honest, you could say that about pretty much everything related to our bodies.  Aspirin gives me a migraine and running stalls my weight loss to the point where I actually start gaining.  Probably not the norm.

For the vast majority of people, trying IF is not going to hurt them, and if it does, then just skipping lunch would too.  Now after trying it, they may or may not feel like it works for them, which is true of pretty much any nutritional or exercise notion people might have.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Corney wrote:

I discourage fasting.  If you weigh 200 LBS, your body needs 3000 calories a day, when its not getting it's 3000 calories it goes into starvation mode.  Your body will not deplete it's stores of carbohydrates in case of fight or flight situations.  It will not use up your fat stores because fat is the most efficient method of storing calories, so it gets it's needed calories from burning protein( muscle). when you lose muscle you burn fewer calories everyday.

It takes about 3 days of not eating anything before "starvation mode" starts to kick in. "Starvation mode" will not kick in from skipping one meal, or from eating 500 calories less than what you need for maintenance. If you eat at a reasonable caloric deficit, your body will use as energy a mix of carbs metabolized in your glycogen stores, breakdown some muscle protein and burn fat. The exact mix depends on a number of factors, but there will always be some fat, even if you don’t exercise at all. People who are at risk of losing the most muscle mass are those already very lean.

Intermittent fasting is just one way to achieve a caloric deficit over some period of time, which is what you need for weight/fat loss. It may not be for everyone, but it can definitely work for a lot of people. For someone who is in normal health, hasn’t got a condition that requires medication etc., most IF protocols out there are perfectly safe. I tried one last year whereby I didn’t eat anything for 24 hours one day in the week, and ate normally the remaining six days. Did that for a couple of months, with no adverse results. Let’s assume I need 3000 calories per day to eat at maintenance. I can eat 2500 calories for 7 days for a weekly total of  17,500 calories (weekly deficit: 3500 calories). Or I can eat 3000 calories (maintenance) for 6 days and eat nothing on one day, for a weekly total of 18,000 calories (weekly deficit: 3000 calories). Two different approaches with about the same outcome.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It is not at all a foolish fad.  There is a growing body of scientific evidence that proves it's benefit.   Here is a website run by kidney specilist who uses IF to CURE type 2 diabeties.  He references many scientific studies including his own patient data to support his position and the fasts he puts his patients on are in excess of 36 hours straight.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

While there is a LOT of antecdotal evidence out there on IF, I've done most of my research on sites like medpaper where they publish the actual studies or the site referenced above. 

You're right in that it changes hormonal balance, but typically for the good, not the bad.  Inflamation goes down, gherin goes down, insulin goes down.  LDL partical size increases (which is good), growth hormones increase especially with the 24 hour cycles. Short-term fasting has no effect on average cortisol levels and this is an area that has been extensively studied in the context of Ramadan Fasting Cortisol typically follows a diurnal variation, which means that its levels peak in the morning at around 8 a.m. and decline in the evenings. What changes during Ramadan is simply the cortisol rythm, average levels across 24 hours remain unchanged.  Here are the studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15452402

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16450542

Blood sugar does drop during fasting which is what you need in order to burn fat.  It's why cardio works - depelting blood sugar and getting the energy from fat oxidation - keytones!  And another great benefit is metabolism actually increases when burning keytones for engergy.

In animal studies to include primates, fasting actually increases cognitive function theorized that parts of the brain prefer energy derived from keytones and added growth hormones cause stem cells to create new neurons.  There is evidence that fasting may help ward off age related cognitive diseases including Alizheimer.

The evidence of the body consuming muscle as measured by nitrogen in the urine is actually a short lived event.  It's been shown that initially, a very slight amount of muscle is burned, but then the body shuts that down.  This is one of the reasons IF has become so popular among body builders is it torches the fat while allowing them to keep the muscle.  The so called starvation mode does not occur until all fat deposites have been depleted and only then will the body turn to muscles for energy.   Additionally, the following study shows that if calories remain the same, body composition changes to lean mass increase on 1/meal per day:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096

There are many more studies being undertaken that I'm confident will reveal the benefits and change the way we think about diet and nutrition.  Low fat diets used to be the norm, but now high fat low carb diets are proving quite effective, not just from weight management, but from a health standpoint.  Healthy fats like butter and olive oil have a very low insulin index factor that help keep insulin production low and improve insulin sensitivity. 

Based on the scientific evidence so far, I believe IF is a healthy pattern, not just for weight loss, but for on going maintenance.  Since starting IF back in October, I went from 214 to 191 and feel absolutely wonderful.  My volume in weight lifting has increased more than 30% and I've gone from walking for an hour to jogging 5 miles in about 45-50 minutes.  I've only about 10 more pounds to lose, but after I've lost it, I'll continue my fasting protocol, I just won't restrict my calories during my feeding window.

And if scientific evidence isn't enough, look at every major religion in the world and they have some type of fasting.  I've learned a lot of things that were done in the name of religion have some real value.  If you look at foods forbidden in the old testement, they are all the predators and cleaners that help maintain the populations of what we can eat at their healthiest.  Probably some wisdom in fasting as well. 

So while I appreciate your training, education and experience, the emerging evidence may run counter to established ideas around diet and nutrition.  I would encourage you to keep an open mind and not dismiss out of hand.

@Corney wrote:

Intermittent fasting is a foolish fad.  When you fast, the body seeks the calories that it needs but is not getting.  It first metabolizes carbohydrates, then it goes after protein found in your muscles.  when protein is metabolized urea is one of it's waste products and is excreted in urine.  You lose weight but not fat, the weight you lose is muscle mass and fluid, plus it plays havoc with Blood sugar and the hormone cortisol.  People who say they want to lose weight really want to lose fat, fasting does not cause the body to metabolize fat.  The only way to make the body meyabolize fat is with at least 20 minutes of continuous aerobic exercise in your aerobic zone.  Before people engage in this foolishness they should consult their Doctor, or talk to a nutritionist.  I'm a retired Physical Therapist and was the exercise consultant for a surgical Bariatric program.  The only clients that actually lost fat were the ones that utilized 20 or more minutes of aerobic exerice in their aerobic zone.  Those that didn't all lost weight but their % body fat increased because they lost muscle mass and became dehydrated.  I wish this idea of intermittent fasting would go the way of all the other crazy diet schemes that have all proved to fail.  It seems everyone trying IF are all looking for an easy way to lose weight.  Rather that looking at your scale get a body analyzer and keep tract of % body fat, then you will see that IF is not the way to lose fat! 

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Corney wrote:

I discourage fasting.  If you weigh 200 LBS, your body needs 3000 calories a day, when its not getting it's 3000 calories it goes into starvation mode.  Your body will not deplete it's stores of carbohydrates in case of fight or flight situations.  It will not use up your fat stores because fat is the most efficient method of storing calories, so it gets it's needed calories from burning protein( muscle). when you lose muscle you burn fewer calories everyday.  Diets without 20 minutes of continous aerobic exercise are doomed to fail. If diets worked there wouldn't be hundreds out there.  How many of yor friends dieted to lose 10 pounds but after going off the diet they gained back the 10 they lost but gained another 5-10 pounds.  That weight gained happened because during the diet they lost muscle mass, their Basal Metabolic Rate slowed done due to the loss of muscle mass.  Diets without aerobic exercise cause the YoYo effect, lose weight, gain weight, lose weight, gain weight, which is dangerous to you health.  Quote your research

Starvation mode and muscle oxidation are, in the context such as this, a myth.  Here is a quote from a study:

The metabolic changes during a brief fast are different from those present in a prolonged fast. Conservation of energy and protein by the body during prolonged fasting has been demonstrated by reduced metabolic rate and urinary nitrogen excretion (1-3) and reduced leucine flux (proteolysis) (4, 5). During the first 3 d of fasting no significant changes in urinary nitrogen excretion and metabolic rate have been demonstrated

Here's the full study:  http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/46/4/557.long

To be able to say if you weigh 200 lbs you need 3k in calories is rediculous on its face.  Everyone has a different metabolic rate that depends on the amount of lean muscle as well as activity rate and age.  The human body (and living things in general) are a balance of hundreds of metabolic processes.  Diet and nutrition are currently the most controversal areas of science and many long held beliefs are showing to be incorrect. 

It even seems that a caloire isn't necessarily a calorie in the way it causes the body to react with it and blood glucose level only accounts for 23% of the insulin response. 

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/insulin-index/

To say that diets without aerobic exercise are doomed to fail is equal rediculous.  Calorie restriction is enough to generate fat oxidation.  Admittedly, you'll burn more if you exercise, but aerobic is not the only method.  Anerobic will do the same and may even be more beneficial.  There was a study that measured the effects of calorie restriction and calorie restiction plus exercise.  The results were:

Results: The calculated energy deficit across the intervention was not different between CR and CR+EX. Participants lost approximately 10% of body weight (CR: − 8.3 ± 0.8, CR+EX: − 8.1 ± 0.8 kg, P = 1.00), approximately 24% of fat mass (CR: − 5.8 ± 0.6, CR+EX: − 6.4 ± 0.6 kg, P = 0.99), and 27% of abdominal visceral fat (CR: 0.9 ± 0.2, CR+EX: 0.8 ± 0.2 kg, P = 1.00). Both whole-body and abdominal fat distribution were not altered by the intervention.

Here's the study:  http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2006-2184

And sure, if you diet and then go off and return to the same habits that got you fat in the first place, you're going to get fat again.  If you diet and exercise, then go off the diet and exercise, guess what, you're getting fat again.  And I refer you to the first study that shows muscle mass loss is insignificant on a short term fasting protocol such as IF, so you're statement that you get fat cause your basil metobolic rate decreases due to mucle mass loss is incorrect (and I used to believe this very same thing).  I will concede that as you loose weight your basil metobolic rate does, in fact, decrease, but it's primaily due to the loss of fat.  Fat cells require a metabolic process to maintain.  They also force the muscles to work harder to move that extra weight around, so yes, loosing weight does result in both a basil metabolic reduction and a reduction in the calories burned during activities including carido.

IF as a lifestyle will result in keeping hormones in balance and help with calorie control.  When combined with a healthy menu, this life style has benefits far beyond weight maintenance.  I propose that your stance is close minded and outdated.  I will support your position that areobic exercise as well as anerobic exercise is also very important to maintaining a total healthy lifestyle, but I will not concede it is the ONLY way to loose or maintain weight.  As in all things, moderation and disipline are key.

Results: The calculated energy deficit across the intervention was not different between CR and CR+EX. Participants lost approximately 10% of body weight (CR: − 8.3 ± 0.8, CR+EX: − 8.1 ± 0.8 kg, P = 1.00), approximately 24% of fat mass (CR: − 5.8 ± 0.6, CR+EX: − 6.4 ± 0.6 kg, P = 0.99), and 27% of abdominal visceral fat (CR: 0.9 ± 0.2, CR+EX: 0.8 ± 0.2 kg, P = 1.00). Both whole-body and abdominal fat distribution were not altered by the intervention. -
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

So I actually do have a scale with a BMI feature and Ive gone from 38.5% body fat to 26.4%.

While intermittent fasting CAN cause the loss of fat, no one is saying aerobic exercise isn't effective at fat loss.  I engage in the practice alone with IF.  There is much talk about the loss of muscle due to dieting and I've presented studies that counter this position in other post within this thread, so I'll not repeat them here; however, the lack of exercise CAN result in muscle loss.  NASA has done several studies around muscle loss during space travel due to the lack of gravity.  They've done some studies here on earth by restricting people to  bed for a period of time.  I would imagine if you are sendentary and on a diet or not, you'll lose muscle mass.  Here is one such study:  http://journals.lww.com/corr/Abstract/1987/06000/Physiologic_and_Biochemical_Effects_of.4.aspx. 

I 100% agree with your position that aerobic exercise helps with fat loss, but you can't outrun a bad diet!  To loose fat even with exercise or diet alone, you must burn more than you take in and you must eat a diet that limits the insulin response.  I personally am practicing IF for the other benefits it offers, but know the reason I'm loosing weight is calorie restriction, good diet and exercise (I jog 4-5 miles, perfomr HIIT twice per week and lift weights).  Having said that, the difference is weight vs fat.  Based on a study I gave you in another thread, there is a study that shows with calories remaining constant, body composition does change to more lean mass while weight remains the same.

I've responded to your arguements against IF throughout this thread and I'd just like to make one thing clear.  Your base argument about aerobic exercise working to lose fat is correct, but you have indicated it is the ONLY way and that is simply not true.  In fact, based on all my research I would conclude there are similarities.  When jogging, you burn up glycogen stores and your body turns to fat stores for the energy.  This is the same phenomenom that occurs in IF, but its time vs exercise which induces the blood glycogen stores.  The body will ALWAYS burn fat before it burns muscel.  That's why we store fat, so it can be used later when glycogen isn't depleted.  If we fast, we are in a state where our body is consuming fat and we add exercise on top of that, we are burning fat faster to due the increase energy necessary during the exercise.

So in summation, I'm would never say your premise of aerobic exercise helps with fat loss is not true.  What I would say is it's not complete and your assumptions about IF are, in fact, incorrect. 

@Corney wrote:

The only way to know how your body id responding to IF is to purchase a scale with a body analyzer, they can be purchased fairly reasonably on line for about $40, it also gives you your % body fat, BMI and hydration.  If IF realy works your % body fat will decrease, and you will not become dehydrated.  I'm tired of defending aerobic exercise as a healthy way to not just lose weight but also lose body fat.  Anyone thinking about IF or the Ketogenic diet should talk with their Doctor first, He/She is the only one who knows about your health and can give you the pro's and con's of both as it regards your personal health.  Everyone's body and health is different, any posts here touting ones's sucess with either plan is only ancedotal and pertains only to that persons situation.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

As to "manipulating hormones" via nutrient timing, it’s probably a lot more complicated than that. In the end, what works is eating less than you expend.

So I think there is some confusion going on about the benefits of IF vs weight loss/fat loss.  First of all, you can have fat loss without weight loss and you can have weight loss in conjunction with fat loss.  Based on research I've found, IF does absolutely reduce insulin in the blood during the time fasting.  Insulin is a hormone.  There are over 40 hormones involved in the digestion, energy conversion, fat conversion and fat oxidation within the body, so yes, its very complicated.  I've just read another study that indicates that different foods cause a different insulin response.  This is different than what we are used to hearing - glycemic index. 

The glycemic index is a measure of how much blood glucose is created in the blood by a give food.  The conventional wisdom has always thought that blood glucose levels equate equally to insulin response; however, the new studies are saying there is only a  23% correlation between these numbers.  The Insuline Response Index is a new way to measure how much insulin the body produces in response to a given food.   As predicted, carbs, the more simpler the greater the response, create a lot of insulin, but to my surprise, beef in almost equvilent where chicken and even bacon are much lower.  Fats seem to have the lowest which is the bases for the LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet and it's success.  What these studies seem to indicate is that a high insulin response can result in more glucose being coverted to fat.

Now, with that last statement, lets involve timing in this.  Insulin is secreated in response to Blood glucose levels.  Blood gluecose is a product of digestion of food.  So if we eat a meal, within an hour a rise in blood glucose begins and the body will begin to produce insulin in response to that rise (and yes I'm sure there is a trigger level at which that occurs, but I haven't found that point yet).  Say our meal is very high simple carb (to use an extreme), the insulin response may be disproportinate to actual blood glucose level.  Insulin's job is to grab the glucose and shove it into cells as fat, so high insulin can cause actual fat storage, even if the total number of calories only equates to say 1/3'd (assuming we eat 3 meals a day) of our total daily need.

Now, 4 hours later we eat another meal, again high in simple carbs.  The same thing happens again.  4 hours later another meal.  Now in total, our calories for the day are within our maintenance or even slight below what we expend.  It takes anywhere from 6-10 hours to complete digestion of a meal, so during that time our bodies have insulin in the blood and what glucose the organs and muscles aren't consuming is getting created as fat.  Let's be generous and say you have your last meal at 6 pm, finished at 7 pm.  You wake up at 7 the next day and at 8 am you eat again.  OK you've gone 13 hours without food and have gone into the fasting state - good for you.  But you've also been asleep, so calorie use during that time is less.  Will you be burning fat?  YES, but not at a very high rate.  So its now a question off, during the entire day yesterday in which you had insulin coursing through your veins and stuffing fat cells, did you burn enough fat during the night to make up for that?  Can't answer that, but given the obesity rate, draw your own conclusions.

However, I am going to draw some correlations here that you may well dispute.  The relationship between poverty and obesity.  I make this correlations to reflect that, at least in the US, our food systems has been a powerhouse in the production and distribution of cheap, affordable food, but is the quality of that food of value. 

Incidentally, I do have a degree in Agricultural Econonmics and Rual Sociology so I have a basis of education to make these assesments.  I also spent 14 years working in food manufacturing.

So, to refocus, I'm talking about the insulin response to food and not nessesarily the caloric count of the food we do consume.  So according to Maslov's hierarchy of needs,  Food, Clothing and Shelter are our most basic.  Regardless of if you're rich or poor, you need to provide food for yourself and your family.  The impoverished, here in the US, have our agricultural machine to be thankful for as it produces food at a phenomenal rate and quickly preserves and packages for distribution (the government pays farmers NOT to produce in order to control food prices at a level that will sustain farmers.  Otherwise we would have such a gluttony of food, it would rot in the streets until farmers quite farming and, well you can see where this is going).  We also have social programs to provide support such as food stamps to help this economic strata.  So they go off to walmart or target and purchase all sorts of inexpensive food that, on the surface seems good.  But if you study food labels, there is so many chemicals that have been added and so much processing has been done that we've stripped away nutrients and increased the insulin response to the food.  The best example of this are the grains and rice that probably have twice the insulin response to those wild varieties our ancestors gathered.

So now you have a segment of the population that is at or below the poverty level (a level at which you might intuitively surmize should be populated with emaciated bodies) that are using the few dollars they have to purchase inexpensive food in which all the nutrients and natural regulators have been processed out, yet they represent the highest obestiy rate in the country. Part of that is due to our prosperity.  Because we are a prosperous nation, we have money to spend both on research and on social programs.  Our research results in faster, cheeper foods and our social programs allow us to provide subsistance to the impoverished.

Here are a couple of articles to support my claim:

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/60/11/2667.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198075/

Why, oh why would the poor be getting fatter than the more affluent portions of the population?  Shouldn't they be emaciated?  Why are they more obese than the affluent?  We don't need to talk about the strain this obesity rate has on the cost of our collective health care.  So what is going on?

Let's get back to insulin response and over processed foods.  There are at least two factors involved here.  The first is the availablity of cheap, overprocessed, high glycemic foods and second the over consumpion of these foods.  White rice, cereals, white bread, pre-packaged foods that are full of fillers (think meatloaf on steroids) and we won't even get into the additives and sugars and salts to increase taste perception.  These foods have a very high, simple carb content that drive a very high insulin response that in turns triggers not only fat storage, but insulin insensitivity and that results in Diabeties.

OK, so this has gotten very long.  My bottom line point here is that its not only about timing, but about the quality of foods in our bodies.  If you couple my points above together, an impoverished person would be better off if they ate one GOOD meal a day rather than 3 crappy ones.  IF used to be a way of life out of necessity rather than choice.  If food wasn't available, you had to go out and find it.  That involved timing and exercise.  Our genome was develoed in this time and the advances in food production has increased faster than we can genetically respond.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
Just wondering if there is anyone still on this thread who I could possibly add as friends to keep each other motivated? I'm completely new to fit but but have been on and off fasting and dieting for over a year, I'm 5'7, 19, and looking for friends on this to challenge each other and keep each other going, I want to lose 5lbs hopefully by the end of january, think that might be pushing it too far but one week I lost 2lbs so I don't think it's I achievable, please get in touch, as I'm new I don't really know how to add people yet, so some help and feedback would be much appreciated 🙂
Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, you could add me as a friend, but I don't advocate either IF or the Ketogenic diet.  We can discuss exercise, type and duration, any questions concerning injuries, since I'm a retired Physical Therapist who was an avid runner for over 25 years, but if you looking for motivation to continue IF, I'm not the person you are looking for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can add me.  I'm strongly in favor of IF as a lifestyle, not a diet plan. 

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Corney wrote:

Yes, you could add me as a friend, but I don't advocate either IF or the Ketogenic diet.  We can discuss exercise, type and duration, any questions concerning injuries, since I'm a retired Physical Therapist who was an avid runner for over 25 years, but if you looking for motivation to continue IF, I'm not the person you are looking for.

Then why do you insist on responding and commenting on threads where you don't agree with the philosophy?  It's like you're looking for an argument.

There is more than one way to lose weight/fat and people have to do what works best for them as individuals.  I don't agree that a vegan lifestyle is the healthiest way, but if that's what people want, more power to them.  I just avoid those threads out of respect.

If you believe there is only one way to better health, through exercise, then start a thread extolling the virtues of cardio and laying out the perfect plan for all those that want to go that route.  Please don't be disrespectful of others on this forum that may not agree with you.

FitBit One
Best Answer

ChealsieXs,

Sent you a request on Fitbit. You are free to make your own choices but I would advise to not friend Corney. We try to promote positivity and interest in IF and sometimes the Keto lifestyle, Diet, whatever you call it. ther are some success stories in this group and some who are just interested in the topic. Since Corney has joined it has been nothing but negativity and sheer ugliness.

Best Answer

Hit the nail right on the head! Thanks for your post Raviv!

Best Answer

@Onmiwei wrote:

Not taking dieting advice from a nephrologist unless I have kidney disease and need to follow a renal diet due to renal issues or failure..or being on dialysis...and I guess all my anatomy and physiology books are incorrect on the brain needing glucose to properly function. A&P books this doctor was supposed to have learned from as well. if this Dr is such an expert on diabetes I am wondering if he has ever seen a person in a diabetic coma because their glucose dropped too low..or had a pt with low blood glucose? It isn't pretty..and blood glucose can drop if you exercise too much..so if you aren't eating and over exercise you could be causing yourself issues. Everyone should be discussing this with their providers in case of medication (some meds need you to eat for them to work properly) or other disease processes....this can be very harmful. I can only imagine the harm some people who don't know they have an underlying health issue are doing to themselves when they follow fads like this. If you want to do it, go to the provider first don't listen to a doctor on the internet say it is all good.

The glucose that parts of the brain do need are created in the liver using glycogenisis and the triglicerides broken down from fat.  When he does have one of his patients fast, he monitors them carefully.  Granted, with a diabetic, you need to be careful and he does say this in his lectures and writings that diabetics should only do this under the supervision of a doctor. 

Given fasting has been around for thousands of years, I wouldn't say it's a fad.  Eating 3 meals a day is more of a modern day practice than an acient one thanks to our agricultural system.  The fear of fasting seems to be based on emotions rather than any real science.  I realize I would probably never be able to convince you it's a good thing, but I would point out you've offered no real science to support your claims it's bad where throughout this and other threads, I've offered many scientific studies that support the position I take.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@divedragon wrote:

@Onmiwei wrote:

Just to piggy back a little more for those who don't want to take nutritional advice from a Kidney specilist how about advice from a PhD in Nutrition:  http://www.ilsi.org/Documents/2015%20Annual%20Meeting%20%20Presentations/Varady.pdf

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

divedragon -..I totally dislike the IF...but that's me.

I will be quiet now Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

@I-train-hard wrote:

I know you do and you have every right to your opinion.  All I ever ask of anyone is, if you disagree AND you want to post a counter point, provide the research to back up your position.  I believe I've done that with my position and will continue to provide references that will allow  someone to read and make up their own mind.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@I-train-hard wrote:

I will be quiet now Smiley Tongue

I have never seen you as argumentative, though.

FitBit One
Best Answer

Usually, I am easy going and peaceful Man Wink

Best Answer