Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298
Thank you for posting your comments. They were very insightful and thought provoking. It does seem like we are not a one size fits all society. Every time I see a commercial for a new fad diet I get so frustrated for 2 reasons. 1. They look potentially unhealthy...no carbs, changes in fat intake, etc. 2. Was any science involved in these plans?

When I spoke to my surgeon about my weight gain after surgery he acted dumbfounded. A gallbladder is a useless organ? I view that as rapid spread of bad information. It seems like science didn’t do their homework before making their declarations.

Thanks for writing. Good luck with your journey.

Sent from my iPad

Becca Brint Ticker
Best Answer
0 Votes

I stumbled upon this forum. I had my gall bladder removed in 2008 shortly after I had my 3rd child. I am not sure why I started having issues as I was not overweight prior and had a healthy pregnancy. Anyway, fast forward to the present, and I started having stomach issues and GI issues. I had some tests done and they can't find anything wrong. So, they immediately wanted to prescribe to treat the GI symptoms. I started wondering if it was all related to my absent gall bladder. I had not had issues prior, but realized that if an organ is removed from your body that had a specific job to do, then there are probably deficiencies going on. And, rather than treat the symptoms, lets try and figure out the cause. I am in favor of medication when necessary, but I am also in favor of good quality supplements if they can get the job done. I found another group and this doctor who had his gall bladder removed swears by NOW Super Enzymes. I just bought them on Amazon. They have digestive enzymes, as well as, ox bile which supplements the body with the bile necessary to aid in fat digestion. They also recommended taking a good multivitamin to help replace the deficient vitamins like A, D and K to name a few. I started taking these vitamins and Enzymes this week and already my gut is feeling better. I don't know if it will help with the slight weight gain that I have experienced recently or not. But, I feel better knowing that it is helping my body function as it should. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted this reply to someone above.  I saw your response as well and I don't know if it will help you or not, so you can take it or leave it. Just thought I would share my experience with  you as well:

I stumbled upon this forum. I had my gall bladder removed in 2008 shortly after I had my 3rd child. I am not sure why I started having issues as I was not overweight prior and had a healthy pregnancy. Anyway, fast forward to the present, and I started having stomach issues and GI issues. I had some tests done and they can't find anything wrong. So, they immediately wanted to prescribe to treat the GI symptoms. I started wondering if it was all related to my absent gall bladder. I had not had issues prior, but realized that if an organ is removed from your body that had a specific job to do, then there are probably deficiencies going on. And, rather than treat the symptoms, lets try and figure out the cause. I am in favor of medication when necessary, but I am also in favor of good quality supplements if they can get the job done. I found another group and this doctor who had his gall bladder removed swears by NOW Super Enzymes. I just bought them on Amazon. They have digestive enzymes, as well as, ox bile which supplements the body with the bile necessary to aid in fat digestion. They also recommended taking a good multivitamin to help replace the deficient vitamins like A, D and K to name a few. I started taking these vitamins and Enzymes this week and already my gut is feeling better. I don't know if it will help with the slight weight gain that I have experienced recently or not. But, I feel better knowing that it is helping my body function as it should. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Do you think it is more advantageous to take the enzymes before, during, or after the meal?

Sent from my iPad

Becca Brint Ticker
Best Answer
0 Votes
You take them before the meal. It has really been helping me with digestion. And my stomach pain is almost completely gone. I don’t know if it will help with weight loss, but I know it is helping the loss function of my gall bladder and I just feel better overall. Hope it helps you, too.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi don’t know if your still active on this post. But I am currently experiencing the same problems I’m eating healthy reduced meal sizes exercising more before the removal it was falling off me now I can’t budge unless it’s up 😂 any tips and advice you have would be great or plans you use. Could u email on Dmill2017@outlook.com please some one who is really struggling here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It will be a constant issue. do no carbs, no fat and running an hour. I lost weight, but maintaining it is very hard. I have to always do it. As low fat as possible and absolutely no carbs and running, even in place for an hour 4-5 times a week.

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer

Absolutely...we say what happens and they act like we are making it up. I should be a healthy weight according to my diet and exercise. I'm afraid I will never wear a bathing suit again. Idiotic medicine.  Surgery addicts. Doctors play God and never admit they are wrong. 

Best Answer

Any success? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kherm14 @KittyChimera @BeccaT62 @Welshboy101 @DrDebND @Happy_me_au @Simplydurian @Veralll @8ByteAtlas 

I’ve been sitting here for the past hour reading through this entire thread. Although it’s disheartening to hear so many people going though what I am, it also makes me feel better.

I know this is an old thread but I’d be so keen to hear if anyone has any updates or discovered something that helps. I just started taking digestive enzymes (with no ox bile, for some reason I can’t find it in Australia?) and livatone shots for liver, I heard that can help too. I’ll have to see how I go. I put weight on after gallbladder surgery quite rapidly, but was actually happy with my body and welcomed it. The past 3-4 months though I have put on 12kg for seemingly no reason. I am struggling to lose it. I have been going to the gym more than I ever have in my life and have been eating what I think is a normal healthy diet. It’s just so sad to feel like I have to go through such lengths just to have a normal weight. If you guys have had any luck or have found something helpful please let me know! I’m also interested in seeing if anyone had any findings with the beetroot? 

Best Answer

If u have any advice on what works for you I’m really struggling myself. I know it’s not nice but it’s nice to know I’m not alone with my struggle. 

Dmill2017@outlook.com

email if you like maybe we can offer each other tips apart form the one my brother says “close this(mouth) and move this(legs) lol. Yea not that easy bro 😂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was just wondering if you have had any success dieting since this post. I had my gallbladder removed two years ago and have put on 40 pounds since then. Obviously, quarantine has not helped but before having it removed, if I did a low carb diet (not keto) and continued to run 3-5 days a week I would lose weight easily. Obviously, age and gender doesn't help but I'm 38 and shouldn't be having this hard of time.

Best Answer
I had several food allergy test run and found that I have a severe reaction to dairy and eggs. Since eliminating those items and reducing my sugar intake, I have lost 12 pounds in 8 weeks. My Function Medicine doctor also has be taking 1-2 Ox Bile pills per meal depending on the fat content of the meal. These have also made a huge improvement in my gut health. I suggest seeing a Function Medicine doctor if at all possible. Mine is the first doctor to find the root of the problem instead of just giving me a pill to fix it.
Best Answer

Hi i'm 37 and since this surgery my weight has been so up and down its ridiculous

For years ive been trying to find 'diets' that will get my weight off I can train so hard and eat well yet the difference is minimal I feel i hace to train twice as hard to get the results and almost burn myself out in the process aswell as running my business which is also active and a mom and wife

I feel carbs may play a huge part esp Alcohol so ive limited this and it makes a massive difference how ever try and limit processed carbs sweets etc 

And carb cycle 

I hppe this is of help, I know its extremely frustrating

Ive also started back training 6 days a week 5 weights and 6 days cardio 

Best Answer

I take digestive enzyme tablets which I feel have made a massive change no bloating feeling so much better

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope sadly I am the same as you. I'm 36 I had my gall bladder out 4 years ago. I was 84kg I am now maxing out at 110. Its disgusting and upsetting. I have worked out 6 days per week and cut all carbs for 6 months now and lost a grand total of 2kg. Doctors just tell me to eat less and go to a dietician...never done so much exercise in my life. My arms and legs ache most days. I wish someone could help us all. Very disheartening when friends all lose weight so easy and on a lot less exercise. It's no life at all cant remember the last time I enjoyed something nice to eat.

Best Answer

I just started doing Transform at Home with Chris and Heidi Powell. https://transformhq.com/transform-at-home/ The free program is based off the idea of carb cycling. You alternate high carb days with low carb days. 5 smaller meals a day. Exercising a little bit each day. I have finally been able to break my plateau. There is an app, but that is not free. They offer a week free trial which I did to get more ideas for meals, exercises; it tracks your macros so you can get an idea of what that looks like. When you sign up on the website they will send you their e-book for free which explains the whole concept and why it works. This may not work for everyone, but it has been helping me. I eat healthy already and it sounds like you do as well. So, it will most likely just change the quantity and timing of when you eat. I hope this will help you as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just started doing Transform at Home with Chris and Heidi Powell. https://transformhq.com/transform-at-home/ The free program is based off the idea of carb cycling. You alternate high carb days with low carb days. 5 smaller meals a day. Exercising a little bit each day. I have finally been able to break my plateau. There is an app, but that is not free. They offer a week free trial which I did to get more ideas for meals, exercises; it tracks your macros so you can get an idea of what that looks like. When you sign up on the website they will send you their e-book for free which explains the whole concept and why it works. This may not work for everyone, but it has been helping me. If you eat healthy already, it will most likely just change the quantity and timing of when you eat. I hope this will help you as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Debsym   Deb,  I'm so sorry you are having such a terrible time since your gall bladder removal.  Heartbreaking!  All the studies I've read say that when people exercise to lose weight they hardly ever do.  They eat more.  One solution I read for that was to plan ahead what to eat right after the exercise and for 30 minutes later as well.  But you !!!  with the discipline to cut out all carbs for 6 months , is too amazing to even consider.  However all that exercise isn't working and is making you miserable, so I think you should definitely reconsider.  How could it get worse when you are in pain even.  The suggestion of a dietician might be helpful.  I'm so ignorant of the subject but your muscles may ache because carbs provide quick glucose for muscles.  And you need a balance of protein and foods with fiber to be satisfied with fewer calories.  I suggest you not do any exercise that you can't enjoy a bit in some way.  Definitely don't do any that causes you pain.  I only do exercise that I can do while reading, like on a bike or my treadmill.  Maybe some can enjoy dance with videos or something.  I have exercised every day for most of my life but I don't like it except for the time to read.   I googled:  "What is the absolute minimum exercise I could do that would be significant and good for me?"   (or something like that) And the answer was:  SIT TO STAND !  Isn't that great?  Everyone already does that.  You can do a few or more and it is handy, air-conditioned, no equipment needed, is in shade and near a bathroom.  LOL  Anyway,  I hope you can give yourself a break.  Take a rest. Maybe read the 21 year old  book "Volumetrics" by Barbara Rolls & Robert Barnett.  It is how to feel full and satisfied with fewer calories.   You have tried so hard!  I hope things will start going better for you.  Best wishes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After reading a bunch of earlier entries I realize this gall badder removal is very complicated.  Good thing you folks have each other for support and info on digestive enzymes and other things that may be necessary and helpful. I watched a video that said when the gall bladder is removed there is no place for bile to go.  All kinds of difficulties.  Maybe they shouldn't take the gall bladder out.  Evidently problems can be fixed with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory treatments.   I'm sorry anyone has these problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes