Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298

Hi everyone, I had my gall bladder taken out a few years ago now, but since putting this post up I have found that intermittant fasting has really been working for me ive lost a load of inches and due to weigh tomorrow but my body is changing weekly for the better and I also train 5/6 days a week but with that said just increasing your steps/movement will also help with this or HITT

I hope this helps

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also had my gallbladder out close to 15 years ago. Just curious, did any of the doctors that removed your gallbladder’s say anything about taking any bile salt supplements? I have never taken anything but just from watching YouTube videos and reading it seems to be a must. Wondering if it will help with the breakdown of fats and other symptoms from removal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My gastroenterologist just looked at me cross-eyed when I asked him questions before and after my gallbladder came out. His response was pretty much the same no matter what I asked: nothing you do will matter, your body is going to do what it's going to do. Very unhelpful. My primary dr. just nodded her head when I said I'm having a hard time losing weight since my gallbladder came out and didn't suggest anything. At this point, 4 years after it came out, my weight seems to be somewhat stable at around 137 to 138 pounds. Basically, I gained 20 lbs. over the past 4 years. I'm not exercising anything like I had been before gallbladder surgery, though, when I was running between 4 and 7 miles every day. I tried to go back to that routine as soon as I recovered from surgery, but I wasn't able to sustain it. Then Covid hit and, I don't know, I wasn't really interested in going out for runs. It was such a weird time. I switched to doing exercise inside like P90X and Chalene Extreme or just walking or raking leaves. So that's a pretty big reason why I'm not exactly losing weight. But I'm also 66 years old and I can't work up the mental energy to push myself that hard anymore. I have a goal of losing 5 pounds, maybe trimming my waist down a little, toning up a bit more. Otherwise, I'm not on any medication, I eat healthy, still a vegan, and nothing hurts or bothers me. You could take bile salts and see if they help, but I take B12 because I'm vegan and I forget half the time to take it. I'd probably forget more often than not to take bile salts. I'd just as soon not bother taking anything. I'm not much help : ) If anyone takes bile salts post surgery, I'd like to know their opinion. But, honestly, eating a healthy plant-based vegan diet keeps me away from a lot of bad and/or fatty food just in general. My husband is 5' 9" and 134 lbs. and my daughter is 5' 2" and 107 lbs. so our diet is okay, I guess.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I took them for about 6 months and nothing changed.

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried them after doing my own research early after my gallbladder was removed to help with symptoms.  I'm not sure that I really noticed a difference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The period of full recovery usually takes from one and a half to three months. During this time, you need to avoid physical exertion, lifting weights, active labor and take care of a quiet environment. After removal of the gallbladder, it`s necessary to follow the recommendations of a gastroenterologist and special diet. After full recovery, i.e. after 1.5-3 months, you need to return to a physically active lifestyle, as the functionality of the digestive system will depend on it. But if your weight won't go away, I recommend the clinic https://www.surgicalimages.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck. Abdominal plastic surgery may be a good solution in your case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow I’m bit late to the party but… just found this thread after just having gallbladder removal surgery for polyps on my gallbladder and watched the video you recommended! Thank you as a fat 50 yr old   This really has been an eye opener 

🙏 thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat meat but because it’s available, I enjoy it and that’s a privilege I have! Some people can’t or don’t (or didn’t have access to meat) so I totally agree with your response! My niece and her hubby are vegans and say the same as me, that we are lucky and privileged to have a choice and not that we are “designed for” because it was our environment that decided/determined what we ate! Sorry if that makes no sense, it did in my head 😂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I'm curious --- are you still on here after all these years? You had over 15 pages of replies to your post... I started to read through some, but some were quite rude or quite wrong - so I stopped. How are you doing? Did you figure out a way to get back to your normal? I had my gallbladder removed when I was 16 because I was having severe pain in my side and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. They suggested they could do an elective surgery that "might" help. Ever since that surgery I have struggled with my weight. I always kind of suspected it might have something to do with the surgery but everyone told me I was crazy. I've had test after test and diet after diet and the only thing that's ever worked for me was quite frankly not the healthiest way of going about things and was very EXTREME, which meant that when I could no longer maintain whatever that EXTREME was --- I would slowly revert back to the weight I was at and plus some. I'd love to hear how you are and if you ever got to the bottom of yours. I'd love to say thanks for posting the original post - if for no other reason it looks like it made a lot of us feel like we weren't crazy. That's helpful all on its own. Health is a strange thing and calories in and calories out seems so simple - if only it always were so. I am encouraged by all the people that were encouraging to you and hope that this is more the norm from this community than the ruder ones. It's hard to understand this journey some of us have to take. I have had people very close to me doubt that I was sticking to my diet because nothing explains the results - I've had doctors tell me I'm lying --- but I think you have to keep being your biggest advocate and shut down the negativity and continue to hold out hope. All the best! Friend me if you're still around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

KittyChimera started this post and I was really happy to find it originally. Every so often I pop back on to read any new thoughts, or add my two cents, but I mostly ignore the thread because not much was helpful. Probably half of what I said in earlier years was unhelpful. As the years go by, my own thoughts change. Since August, even with continued exercise, I gained another 2 pounds, so that puts me up 22 pounds since my gallbladder came out. Very frustrating. And I really do eat very healthy. Still vegan and I make most everything from scratch, lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains. Nothing really has helped so I've kind of resigned myself to looking the way I do. Exercise at least keeps my arms and calves somewhat toned, so I can give the illusion -- with a stiff girdle -- of being "in shape." But mostly I feel pretty crappy about all the fat that's piling up around my waist, and that's getting pretty bad.

Best Answer

Thanks for the quick response! I wish there was someone who'd figured out the answer, but it is still encouraging to see others in this with us and the fact you have been able to mostly stave off the weight is encouraging. Weight training was my fav part too -- legs and arms super strong, despite my pregnant looking belly even when not pregnant. Feel free to friend me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

First of all, I am glad you wrote such a nice post. I would like to say that I have lost respect for the medical profession. I am almost 65 and I look back and think how they have used us as Guinea pigs and money makers for this industry. In my opinion, the surgeon only does the surgery. They do what they have been taught based on “research”. I feel a gallbladder is a vital part of our functioning bodies. Granted, it is not as vital as the heart, but it serves a better purpose than what they are willing to admit.  I’ve talked to young people who have been told to have their gallbladder removed and have not had a gallbladder attack.
 I too haven’t been able to lose weight.  You work hard, exercise, eat right, and no results. The surgeon looks at you with a weird expression and act like they have never heard of these effects after removing the gallbladder.  They are covering their asses. They will never admit anything.

The unfortunate reality is that when you are in extreme pain you will do what is necessary to get it to stop.  They should be figuring out how to laser the gallstones so they can pass through our bodies naturally, much like a kidney stone. But there isn’t enough money to be made in laser outpatient treatment.  Good luck on your journey. Maybe one day we’ll read a response of something that will help us all who have gained weight without overeating.  At least we can exercise and keep our lungs and heart healthy. :peace_symbol:

Best Answer

I would like to say that after 10 years on cholesterol medication my numbers were minimally changed. I recently started a medication that has reduced my numbers. Why now? Because this medication understands that some livers produce too much cholesterol, LIKE MINE.  So for 10 years I was putting big pharma in my gut without change until now. Meat is not always the cause of the problem. Research isn’t always right and we were lied to that we don’t need our gallbladder.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some newer articles starting to emerge that gently confess your gallbladder is needed.

The first link actually says you can expect an increase in stomach size after your gallbladder is removed and that it is normal. How is that normal?  They continue to blame women for overeating or refusing to change to a healthy diet. Who knows what to believe. Research has been wrong about so much.  

https://www.hoopcare.com/us-blog/why-is-my-stomach-bigger-after-gallbladder-surgery

https://www.gallbladderattack.com/5-reasons-for-weight-gain-after-gallbladder-removal/

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing! Yes, my husband is starting to finally realize my weight is not the typical calorie in/calorie out formula. Ha. After 7 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Research is proving you wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just found this old post. 55 y/o and no matter what I do, I can't lose the 15+ lbs on me. I have been reading everything and anything i can find to figure this out...I am pretty well-read on nutrition and health, etc.....so I do ALL THE THINGS.....calculated my needed calories and subtract 500....eat lots of protein to spare my muscles....train with weights....walk 8000+ steps a day...tons of water.... fiber....not working.  I have tracked everything I have eaten for 4 weeks to be sure i was on track....not one lb lost....so yeah, I'm wondering if my lack of a GB is an issue!!???  Worth pursuing.  My digestion sucks....soooo slow....Just ordered some Bile Salts and Super Digestive Enzymes.  Who knows....could help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope it helps. I didn’t have any luck. Other’s have. I run and walk every day, avoid carbs and salt. That helps.
Best Answer

You’re telling my exact story after gallbladder removal surgery. I have gained 30lbs. I got active to lose weight and started walking. No difference, the more careful I am and the better I watch my diet the more I’ve gained! I eat less now than before and weigh more than ever! If someone has figured out a solution I’d sure love to hear it!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes