Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298

Amen!!!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s amazing how easily people believe things because it falls into their agenda. Our digestive systems are designed for eating meat. Contrary to belief of some, we haven’t evolved or adapted into being herbivores. Our stomach acid has remained the same. Our digestive system has remained the same. Humans are still being born with eye teeth. Bioavailability is a huge factor in our nutrition. The nutrition we receive from eating meat and fish are easily absorbed by our bodies and meat is very nutrient dense. B vitamins are crucial for us, which are best sourced from meat. If you choose a vegan lifestyle, I beg of you, take supplements. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you'll find plenty of people -- nutritionists, doctors, scientists -- who will argue that you're wrong about what humans are designed to eat. But, yes, as you said, if you choose a plant-based diet then you should make sure you're getting enough of certain vitamins and other nutrients. No matter what diet you choose, however, you should make sure it's balanced and healthy and you're getting all your nutrients. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could find studies that show that those who follow a keto diet are lacking and how it's not healthy. There's always a study to prove a point. Anyway, obviously supplementing with Vitamin B12 is important in a vegan diet, but if you do your research you'll find out that Vitamin B12 deficiency is common even in those who eat meat. Many many people choose to go vegetarian, vegan, plant-based for environmental, moral and/or ethical reasons not just diet. If you watch any of the documentaries out there about the CAFO farms, or how they treat and kill the animals, it becomes difficult to want to eat meat. And last, as the current coronavirus has proven, new virus strains are jumping from animal to human more often than ever before, and although this one presumably happened in China at a live meat market, viruses have also been known to jump from animal to human here in the United States at those very crowded CAFO farms. The virulent 2009 swine flu epidemic was traced back to US factory hog farms (hence swine flu). I won't eat meat (or dairy or fish) for all those reasons -- environmental, ethical, humane, health. I'm not going to tell anyone not to eat meat, or argue you're wrong for doing so, but I would recommend that anyone who continues to eat meat boycott meat from CAFO farms and buy only legitimate grass-fed, pasture raised meat.

Since this is a can't lose weight after losing your gallbladder forum, my opinion, which probably isn't worth much, but hey..., is to find a diet that makes you feel healthy and make sure you're getting all your vitamins and minerals and that it's balanced, no processed or junk foods, and that you're getting enough sleep and exercise. Practice the Japanese art of eating only until you feel sated, before you feel full or over-stuffed. I'm not sure there's a one-size fits all diet answer to the problem. I wish there was, or that enzymes were the answer for everyone who has lost a gallbladder. I had been lifting weights and maintaining my weight, although getting very little daily steps in, but now in this lockdown I lost my interest in exercising and I'm fighting the urge to overeat out of boredom and stress. I'm in NY and it's a bit crazy here. I guess maybe I ought to get back to some kind of exercise program, though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Omg can I please go somewhere without getting schooled by a carnivore advocate? Please! I am not even going to go into this debate, I have had my share. I will say I have been vegan for 10 years and my blood results are awesome, my partner has been vegan for 5, his blood is also okay, we are not deficient. Yes, you need to take B12, and in winter months D3 (everyone should, not just vegans), but let's not go into "science", because I do not trust carnivore and keto pseudo science and will not be convinced. Thank you

Best Answer

KETO is a fad.  It is too high in fat.  Later on a lot of people will be told that they have heart disease or that an artery is blocked due to high fat content.  If you don’t have a gallbladder the fat from KETO will gather in your tummy area and all of a sudden you will be swollen up more and heavier.  
Be careful, take care of your fat content.  Eat a balanced low fat low fat diet and exercise.  I am down 20lbs because that is what I am doing .  I am hoping Doctor’s will admit what they already know about the no gallbladder issues and development a supplement or something that will fool our bodies into thinking we still have a gallbladder.  

Best Answer
I am in 100% agreement.  Except doctors won't admit it. Healthy eating could eliminate alot of gallbladder removals. I am down 10# in 4.5 weeks by eliminating added fat. And a plant based diet. If I have to add fat I take digestive enzymes.Thank you for sharing. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

I think that you shouldn't focus as much on calorie intake as you should on nutrient intake. If your calories are emptied calories with nothing sufficient to help satisfy your body, then it won't help to suffice cravings, give you the energy to burn the calories or maintain your metabolism. 

You need a high nutrient diet. This will help to show you the results of all the other work you're putting into your body. Especially when you're recovering from surgery. A lot of the energy your body is consuming is going towards healing cells inside your body, leaving less energy for your metabolism and other functions. A high nutrient diet will give you more energy while consuming less. 

High nutrient just means extra-conscious of the nutrient content of what you're eating. Plant-based meal replacements are one way to increase your nutrient intake. 

When your body is nourished properly you’ll shine from inside to out. I’ve seen a change in every aspect of growth, from the skin to hair. My body just feels revitalized.

A combination of health and wellness products, whole and healthy eating, and exercise restore clarity and improve growth. Just helps you feel good! Oh and water, lots of water. I try to drink at least 2L of water a day. Or try to consume products mixed with water. 

I use a lot of products from a company called zija international. Specifically their moringa oleifera products. It's a plant that is extremely nutrient-rich and detoxifying. I try to have one package a day. They also have meal-replacement shakes that help me feel full and get the nutrients I need. They were especially great when I had a very busy schedule and needed meals on the go, helped me to stay energized and focused during my shifts. 

Copy and paste the site below to view some of the amazing products:

zijainternational.com/en/ca/?referralCode=6361201

Enjoy! Reply if you have any questions 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
I eat meat. Most nutrient dense food on earth!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

How is weight struggle now??? I had my gallbladder out at Christmas and I did not change my diet and like you, gained 8 lbs that first week. I am currently at a 40 lbs weight gain. Went from 130 at Christmas to 170 at Memorial Day. Exercising and eating low fat and low carbs. Taking bile salts and probiotics.  Has anything worked for you and please tell me your weight gain has stopped!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
So glad you got in touch. I am down 18#.  If you have anything fatty, take digestive enzymes.  They help process the fat and remove it from your body since your gallbladder is no longer around to produce the bile to excrete it from your body. I also went on a plant based eating regimen. Lots of good recipe websites out there.  If you have Netflix please watch What the Health, the Game Changers,  and Forks Over Knives.  Read The Starch Solution by Dr. MCDOUGALL. Easy read and very logical.This low carb high protein diet is garbage.  Carbs are what we need.If you have any other questions please reach out.  This gallbladder removal pandemic is disgusting.  I have spoken to many people,  YOUNG, who are being told to have their gallbladder removed. Eat right and it probably won't be necessary.  That's what Forks Over Knives is about. Eat properly with your fork and you won't need a knife to have surgery.BeccaSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad you wrote. I am up and down. I was down really good. Running every day for an hour. I just jumped up and am back on a diet of vegetables and chicken. I am going y ok stay in that diet and run. Absolutely NO starches. NO salt. Good luck to you.

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have lots of starches, aka carbs, and salt and sugar if I want it. Down 18# in 11 weeks. Never hungry and great energy level! Good luck to you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I replied. Just making sure you can see it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did!!!! Thank you so much for your help. I am going to try the digestive
enzymes. Hopefully with the probiotics and bile salts, I can get my body
back on track.
Best Answer
0 Votes
No starches here. No salt. Starches turn to sugar and salt retains fluids. We don’t go hungry; we just eat good foods.

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer
Good luck. Let us know. I love that am down just from giving up starches, salt and fat. Let me know what kind you take and if they work.

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer
I had mine out due to polyps. That is a no choice. There was no other choose. What ensures do you take? How many, how often, what strength? What bile salts? Ho many and how often?

God Bless,
Terry Nixon
Best Answer
0 Votes
My weight gain has settled at 148 from 122 but I am concerned. I have tried
digestive enzymes and bile salts with minimal success. I continue to look
for actions to assist with what the gallbladder removal has done.

--
Create Greatness!

Doctorate of Naturopathy|Speaker|Author| Health Advisor| Debra Muth ND, NP
BAAHP

Doctor Debra Muth ND, WNP, BAAHP, MSH, MS
Founder: www.serenityhealthcarecenter.com

Founder and CEO: https://stodkie.com
Founder and CEO: www.Phoenixfactor.com
The Developer of Sex-cess Program
https://letstalkwellnessnow.com/downloads/sex-cess-program/

262-522-8640 fax 262-522-8649

DISCLAIMER: This message (and any associated files) is intended only for
the use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright, or
constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, copying, or distribution of this
message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited
without my express written permission. If you have received this message
in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer.
Best Answer
The only luck I have had is no starches or fats, no salt and running in place. I dropped 20lbs. I don’t know if I will ever be 115 again, but at least I am not 150.
Best Answer

Interesting...please watch your cholesterol levels. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes