Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298

There’s no need to be rude. Read your own reference - it talks about post operative gluttony (ie overeating) being the cause of weight gain - not unexplained weight gain which was the topic of the post.

I’m talking from my own personal experience and what I was told by my surgeon post-op, not ignorance.

Best Answer

If you post a rude comment, don't be surprised if people respond in kind. This has been civil discussion thread except for a couple of would-be know-it-alls who want to blame and lecture people based on their prejudices.

And at no time did I ever accuse people who gain weight after gallbladder surgery of being gluttons. Quite the contrary.

Best Answer

You quoted a reference that in your own words suggested people gain weight post-op even when sticking to a diet.

problem is your reference says no such thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally understand. My gallbladder was taken out due to polyps. The weight gain ya because is has slowed down my metabolism. The gain is not in legs or arms. It gives people pregnant bellies. I have met many this has happened to.

Best Answer

Yes, it definitely is. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I honestly don’t remember “quoting” a reference. But, I guess my body is the reference, as others are. I am glad not everyone has the problem, however some of us do. I am sorry you feel those of us that have the issue, don’t. It is a real problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was also told I would continue to lose weight. Reading these post has made me nervous 😬. Praying I don’t gain 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here’s my take on this subject.  This is a personal experience of mine and mine only.  I had emergency gallbladder removal surgery almost 2 years ago I gained 15 pounds in the first month. Granted I was also suffering with major depression at the time. I am a few weeks shy of 2 years post op and I have gained 45 pounds.  I have changed my diet to mostly plant based by cutting out all meat and only eating fish 2-3 times a week. I am active and my scale does not move. I am trying desperately to figure out how to get the weight off.

Best Answer

I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago and at first lost 15 pounds and felt amazing with all the junk out of my system. I was able to manage my weight for a few years and then started gaining weight 2-5 pounds at a time. At this point I have gained 27 pounds and I know my diet isn't the best but it's not the worst either plus I regularly exerise. I have been round and round with the cause of my weight gain (hormones, food allergies, etc) and keep searching for answers. Reading this discussion board today at least gave me reassurance that I am not crazy and my 2-5 pounds weight gain is exeperienced by others. I plan to look at the gallbladder diet link posted earlier.

Thank you all! 

Best Answer

How are things now? 

I cant keep control of my weight its causing me to stress out which wont help either. 

I had my op in sept 2018, i gained 5lb very quickly but that was fine i only really lost that in few weeks before my op things got really bad. Then my weight keeps going up extra 5/6lb im not even eating over 1200 calories. 🤷‍:female_sign: 

Only way to stop it is to fast i dont want put anymore than +6lb 

I exercised at least 5x a week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 2 weeks post surprise gallbladder removal. Dr said I can eat anything. Nurse shared that it’s best to make a diet change per her friends who had had the surgery.  I am 42, 5’9” 187 lbs. size XL/L shirt no matter what weight (165 -195) obese according to my medical records, which I just discovered.  I desperately don’t need to gain weight... I need to lose weight (about 20 lbs) . I read all these posts and I honestly freaked out, had a meltdown then went to serious research. Here is what I’ve done. I have stripped my diet down and trying to eat pretty much what is acceptable for a type 1 diabetic, which is low fat, low carbs, low sugar.  I may just be lucky but I have had zero diarrhea (knocking on wood), little to no bloating/gas and have lost a few lbs. I will see what happens when I become more active and need more food and as my body adjusts.  I made lists of foods that were recommended post opp, then a list of the top low fat foods, a list of top 10 low carb foods, a list of all gas producing foods and ended up with a list of foods I like that were low fat, low carb and removed any gas producing foods (asparagus, brocoli etc) When I checked the sugar content I learned that low carb is a good indicator of sugars typically. I am not eating much, also not starving. Typical day -  Breakfast: Egg white omelet with 1/2 avocado, tomatoes and spinach.  Snack: some berries. Lunch: spinach salad with mushrooms, tomatoes, a few nuts (walnuts or almonds)  and grilled chicken a touch of olive oil and white vinegar Snack : berries or watermelon  Dinner: small portion less than 1/2 of sweet potato and palm size portion of grilled pork, chicken or white fish and more berries or watermelon if I still want more. I am drinking a lot of hot caffeine free tea with a touch of milk and sugar and enjoying my 1 or two cups of coffee.  I try to enjoy 1 kombucha drink (high in sugar)per day and try to drink lots of water (hard for me). I will post again after a few months and hope to continue this diet and slowly add more foods.  I hope this helps others. 

Best Answer

I had my Gallbladder removed in 2013, I yo yo back and forth with my weight for years, until I tried Intermittent fasting. Check it out. 

A Dr from Japan won a Noble Peace Prize in 2016 on fasting and discovered autophagy!

I can enjoy life with a fasting life style and maintain a healthy weight. Good luck!

Best Answer

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago and have gained 17lbs i cannot get rid of. I’ve always done a lot of juice cleanses, eat healthy for the most part, I’m active, do the military diet here and there. It was hard to lose weight and keep it up before (i had a huge gallstone meaning my gallbladder wasn’t already working properly) but now that i don’t have a gallbladder it is impossible! I lost 3 lbs off my last juice cleanse and gained it the next day by eating clean. Before i would atleast lose 10lbs and it will come back on slowly. I learned that we should be taking bile, probiotics, and enzymes which i am now taking to see if there will be a difference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Let me know how if it works please. I have been checking into Ox Bile and Enzymes, but haven’t tried them yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think you do it. I know most people usually use the bathroom a lot but I’m usually constipated and this helps me. No matter which one are you, these things help regulate your bowels and are essential for your stomach And liver.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Your gallbladder stored the bile that aided your stomach in digestion. Now that its gone your stomach is sending a constant signal to something that is no longer there.  So your stomach over digest your food. By the time it gets to your intestines there is nothing left to process. Which is why some people constantly run to the bathroom.  I'm one of those people. I watch what I eat and I cant loose the weight for beans. My body is in constant starvation mode; because of my over active stomach. I've tried the bental and if you like feeling like a zombie than that drug is for you. 

I hope everyone finds the answers they need. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

my story is the same..so upset and defeated. I lost 4 stone from 16.5 to 12.5 stone lowest I've ever been! over 18 months with hard work in 2017. I started getting bloated and pains and found out I had gall stones I had gained 2 stone over a few months without changing diet too much. Had gall bladder removed November 2018. Have now gained a further 3 stone!! I'm fatter than ive ever been!! I'm so ashamed. Doctors insist not gall bladder related ans that I'm being untruthful with good diary ans exercise. My diet is not perfect but I sont go wild!! To be 17 stone at 5 foot 7 you would assume I eat takeaway 4 daya a week crisps cakes etc. But no I am on 1600 a day ok at weekends I'll maybe cheat a bit a pizza or a meal out. I have an hour personal trainer Mondays jog 4k with work mates Tuesday. Wednesday 1 hour clubbercise class Sunday an hour swimming. I mean I wish I could do more but a 3 hour commute ans all that exercise I would hope to lose SOMETHING. I cry every time a friend says oh lost 4 pounds this week at weight watchers and then around a stone ans a half since January. I'm appalled I cant lose a thing everyone assumes I'm lying about eating!! I have read lots of forums saying people with gallbladder removed have this issue but no solutions. I'm gross upset embarrassed ans feel like calling of my October wedding as I'm so big!! Docs and dietician and blood and hormone tests all fine. They actually said well we cant magic ot off just eat less and so more exercise. Maybe I need to do a lot more exercise to loose but jeez how could I maintain doing more than I am! So devaated please tell me someone has a solution/ link to this being a common problem!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've spend days searching blogs for solutions and never found one no one believes us. Not even doctors. Scientific  papers half say there no link and the other half say there is. My friend had never been over weight and never gained after her gallbladder was removed. But I was overweight before I had mine out... maybe if your  overweight  first the effect is worse. Honestly devastated  ans ashamed people assume your not trying every week since  January I go on scales and think surely this week a pound off but nope. I go to bed atomach rumbing most nights so defo not over eating. My personal trainer is confused roo as she says my fitness level is great half hour on a cross trainer Heart rate never goes above 120. Its soul destroying!! Tried everything faster for 3 days nothing. No carbs for a week nothing.  800 vlcd nothing. 1200  calories nothing 180p calories nothing. Considering getting a bank loan for  tummy tuxk abroad! cant stand my stomach! sigh... of anyone finds a cure please tell me

Spend days on forums no answer only others with this issue! 

Best Answer

I am sorry you are going they this also. I miss my 115 lbs “normal “ weight. It has been an 18 year struggle and nightmare. Drs. ignore it completely.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a vegan. I was also running between 4 and 7 miles each and every day when I discovered my gallbladder issues. I weighed 118 lbs. Anyway, I developed a severe pain in my lower right side 2 years ago and went for a CT scan. Nothing ever came from the pain -- it eventually went away, although it took three months. But from the CT scan they did tell me my gallbladder was distended and loaded with gallstones -- the gastroenterologist was almost gleeful when he told me -- although definitely not the source of the pain (so he said, although I have my doubts). In any case, I was therefore supposedly asymptomatic for gallbladder problems despite the fact I was obviously a gallstone-making machine. I finally did have a 5-hour gallbladder attack last May, almost a year later from the CT scan, and had to get it taken out. The image of my gallbladder was mind-blowing for how many stones were in it. I agree, and definitely think, there is a connection between weight gain and gallbladder removal, though. Here I am a year later and I weigh 131 lbs. as of this morning. I am running, but only between 3-5 miles. Okay, I'm 62 so I people may say it's because of my age, although my 62 year old husband considers 9 miles a day as his short run, but I feel like it's because I'm dragging more weight. I feel fat and out of shape and everything jiggles and I'm going a mile a minute slower than pre-gallbladder surgery and it's a freaking effort. My stomach can only be described as blubber belly. I ran 5 miles the last three days in a row and really watched my calorie intake and I gained 3 lbs. in 3 days. And, no, I am not eating fried fatty foods or gorging on Oreos. My husband makes our tempeh and tofu. We grind our own wheat for bread. I make my own masa harina tortillas. We have a garden and tons of fresh vegetables. I'm pissed and distraught and short of starving myself I have no idea what to do. If you ever found a solution I'd love to know it. I think everyone is affected by gallbladder removal differently, so there are definitely some of us who, for whatever reason, gain weight despite our best efforts.

Best Answer