Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298

@UkuleleMama wrote:

still highly frustrating if you were able to keep your weight down and look fit before gallbladder surgery and now all of a sudden find the same eating and exercise routine to be totally ineffectual.

I fully understand the frustration of gaining weight, in spite of being the same person, eating the same amount of food and having the same level of activity. However, there are other situations where adjustments must be made to the amount of food you’re eating and/or your activity level, in order to maintain your weight.

An average-size male (180cm/75kg), normal weight (BMI 23.1), moderately active, burns about 1 million calories per year at age 20. This means he’s eating the same amount of food if maintaining his weight constant. Eating a mere 7700 extra calories (which is only 0.7% of the total) would cause him to gain 1 kg per year. At age 30, he would be 85 kg and BMI 26.2 (slightly overweight). At age 40, he would be 95 kg and BMI 29.3 (borderline obese). At age 50, he would be 105 kg and BMI 32.4 (obese). That all it takes to transition from normal weight to obese.

Now, let’s assume he maintains his weight constant through adult age. He’s eating said 1 million calories at 20 (exact amount per standard equation: 1,007,035). At 30, he must reduce that amount to 978,930, assuming activity level remains unchanged. At 40, it must be 950,460. At 50, it’s 922,355 and at’s 60, it’s down to 893,885. The exact same guy must now eat 113,150 calories less at the yearly level in order to maintain his weight. That’s a 9% drop.

All this to say trade-offs must be made, even if there’s no underlying disease or medical condition: as years pass by, we need to eat less and/or move more in order to keep our weight constant. At 58, I can say: been there, done that. I was one of the people who steadily gained 1 kg each year, until I started to do something about it (thank you, Fitbit!).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mmsgamma3 wrote:

Ok everyone...I’m being the Guinea pig.  Last night I went to sprouts and picked up a bottle of “super enzymes” let’s see what happens

Is this what you bought:

2019-06-14_1242.png

The problem with dietary supplements in the US is their producers can make any claims they want about them without having to back them with scientific evidence. All they have to do is include this standard small print disclaimer:

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
Food had been reduced to almost nothing. No carbs, no fats. So......, while what you have written is true, it does not apply to someone without a gallbladder. We are no longer the “norm”. Our digestion tract has been ruined and we CANNOT eat without our bellies swelling as though we are pregnant. It is not gradual or age related. I was 45, 115lbs, a size 2. I had surgery and gained 13 lbs almost immediately. It continued. If I had been 19 yrs., it would still be the same. It has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with a ruined digestion system. Drs. need to research and find out what will make our systems think we still have a gallbladder.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. Things do change gradually with age but they don't change overnight. I was 62 and118 lbs. I had my gallbladder out last July, so not quite a year ago. Within 6 months I was over 130. I think 132. And my stomach looked horrible. With my recent increase in exercise, which I already said I don't think is sustainable long term, I have brought my weight down to 127 where it seems to be staying for the past week. My stomach looks the same, though. White, blubbery, and you can grab handfuls of fat. It's gross. There is a definite connection between losing your gallbladder and digestion that has nothing to do with age. There has to be. And, yes, the doctors need to become more informed about it.

On another tangent, but regarding age -- my husband used to be a competitive runner when he was younger, sponsored by shoe companies including Reebok. He raced under 5 minute miles. About a year and a half ago -- prior to any of my gallbladder fun -- he was training to run a 31 mile trail race. His shortest run of the week was 9 miles and he did 20 milers on the weekend. A week before the race he ran a marathon on the trails just as a time trial. I dashed about to different points and gave him water bottles or food since that was going to be my job in the race. He ran easy, not pushing himself, running an 8:00 minute flat per mile pace for 26.2 miles. He could have gone another 10 miles he was running so easy. The race itself never happened, but that's another story. In any case, 4 months later he suddenly became exhausted and could barely do anything. Walking to the mailbox exhausted him and he would have to sit on the couch and rest. Weeding the garden was beyond him and required a few hours nap afterward. I finally took him to the doctor and the first thing the doctor said was you can't do at 62 what you did at 32. Well, no duh. But at 62 years and 8 months you should be able to do what you did at 62 years and 4 months. I had to argue and push for them to test him. He spent months barely moving off the couch, too drained to do anything. I thought maybe tick-borne illness but that came back negative. But that first 10 minute lecture of it's your age was ridiculous and a very stupid answer from a doctor.

Best Answer
When I got home from surgery I was 13 lbs heavier. Another 13 came on really fast. I went from 115 to 159. Now, 135. Struggling to keep it there. I was so happy to see low cut jeans. Glad I bought a lot of them because the style is back to high waist. Impossible to wear. Legs are normal size 2 legs with pregnant belly. With low cut I am in a 4 and they fit my legs. The struggle is real right off the bat. I pray for a solution.
Best Answer

Ukulele mama! Perfect description white and blubbery.  Mine is all upper abdomen under ribs and sticks out miles! Ive gained 15 pounds since surgery and weight will not budge. Thwy need  to acknowledge this issue instead of fobbing us off saying its age or over eating etc. Ivw  never done so much exercise in my life and I'm fed up doing it 6 months now I've been 5 days a week at least 45 minutes ans I'm the same and inches gained round middle!! Very  frustrating.  Like others have said ox bile is mentioned as a possible solution. I found this just gave me diarrhoea ans had no effect on the weigh. Having researched for months I think that the gallbladder  must have way more significant function in the body than they think. I've read that  gallbladder has receptors  for hormones  oestrogen and progesterone. I have a career in biological science so I'm taking a wild mildly educated guess that these hormones are part of the body's control system of how much bile from the gallbladder needs to be released to dissolve the fats we eat into vitamins. Our now lack of gallbladder must send this system out of whack and the body stores more fat as there incorrect signals to tell body to break it down. Unfortunately  I dont see any studies on this and trying to convince or get a doctor to acknowledge that would be ne mean feat. I think that's why the fat all seems to be in my upper abdomen  I'm not sure if thata the same for all of us? However I am going to do my **ahem**ist to suggest this to my endocrinologist at my long awaited appointment on Monday!! Brcause it is just not on. My huge abdomen on my already over  weight frame is now a serious health risk to me. I'm classed aa morbidly obese now!! I was 13 stone januart 2018 and then started getting gallstones pain in june 2018  by which time I was up to 15 stone.  I' had gallbladder out in November 2018 ans am now a disgusting 17 stone. I have an active job in a biology lab walking all day plus 4 to5 days  a week exercise ans I cannot lose a single ounce. My partner ans I would like to start at family and at 34 I dont want to leave much longer but I'm afraid I am too overweight!! Will update once I speak to endocrinologist ans will show him thianforum ans many others to convince him I am not just eating too much!! My last bloods at the doctors showed slightly low progesterone  so I will be demanding i get every single  blood test  hormone test vitamin test until I get an answer.  I have even been so distraught I'm thinking of using my savings for a mortgage for a gastric  ballokn however I cant even get that as I have a hiatus hernia!! I like all of us am sick of being huge I'm terrified ill get bigger if I stop my exercise routine and yet I feel why should I waste my time doing all this hard work for no pay off. Very annoyed as I have my wedding in October ans have never been so large ans unhappy with my body!! Will let you know if I get anywhere with appointment on Monday 

Best Answer

Another theory I have is that since we dont  have a gall bladder we have a deficiency in fatty acids ans vitamin a from fat digestion and hence our body's cling on to reserve fat. So I've started taking a strong multivitamin  and will keep harassing doctor about hormone imbalances.  I have also been having pains in my upper abdomen  that shoot to my shoulder and swelling  which I have heard may be sphincter of oddi dysfunction or mild pancreatitis.  There  must be a solution!! We cant all be wrong!! I get fobbed of saying theres no evidence that removal causes weight gain! And to be fair I know 2 others who had their removed 2 havent gained weight but I have. But they were thin before surgery  i wasnt... maybe something I will tell them to look in to!! I'm so annoyed people  keep asking when I'm expecting my belly is so large some teenagers even shouted hwy fatty out a car window to me one day I was mortified disnt eat for  3 days in embarassment  and still gained a pound.... sigh.... back to my exercise bike now 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know several men, including my husband, this had happened to.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@t56 wrote:
When I got home from surgery I was 13 lbs heavier.

How long did you spend at the hospital?! My understanding is cholecystectomy is a relatively light procedure (Mayo Clinic says "most people go home the same day"), so I fail to see how one could possibly gain 13 lbs even if staying over for a few days. Even if it were all fat, gaining tissue just takes time, and it requires eating a lot of food (you don’t build something out of nothing).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
I went home the same day.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had Polyps and stayed overnight.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got sent home almost as soon as I got there. Kidding, but it was incredibly fast. I got to the hospital and got whisked in immediately because someone had canceled. The nurse yelled, oh good, you're here, opened the door and sent me into the room to get prepped. I was taken into the operating room maybe 20 minutes later. Afterward I was barely awake -- and I mean barely -- when they sent me home. My eyelids fluttered and I realized I was waking up, which was barely a conscious thought, when the nurse said "one of you go get the car." My daughter had just arrived and my husband had brought me in, and was there the whole time. My husband went to get our car and my daughter helped me get dressed. Then they both walked me out to the car and we drove home. Because most of that time I was unconscious it felt like I was only there for the 20 minutes while they prepped me for surgery. Otherwise I was kicked out before I even had my eyes fully open afterward. Everything I read about the procedure made it sound like I would stay post-surgery until they were sure I could pee, and that I felt okay, maybe get a snack. But, nope, I was told if I hadn't urinated within two hours to call back and then I was sent on my merry way. In and out within a few hours.

I didn't gain or lose anything due to the surgery itself. The weight gain came on over 6 months. And it would have kept going up if I didn't decide to amp up my exercise.

Best Answer

I have struggled so much with my weight since my gallbladder removal. When I had it removed I was actually a lower weight than I’d been for years but the gallstones appeared from nowhere. I’ve read since that people who have lost a lot of weight can get gallstones as a side effect.

My story began by taking Orlistat, prescribed to me by my GP, to help me lose weight. He wanted me to get down to a healthy BMI.  I was 48 years old, had had five children, and was probably a stone over my ideal BMI when I started. By the time I had my gallbladder removed I had been within the BMI boundaries for three years and I felt fantastic. But then I got gallstones, pancreatitis and was hospitalised, resulting in gallbladder removal.  It was all very sudden. 

Five years after surgery I am two and a half stone over my ideal BMI (a stone and a half more than I was in the first place), despite running regularly, watching my calories, doing intermittent fasting, not eating between meals, not snacking, avoiding sugar. The list is endless. I have been particularly good since February, recently ran a 10k, doing Parkruns every week and going on regular shorter runs during the week. I have lost a little under 3lb. I am currently very dispirited. 

It is not necessarily calories in versus calories out when you have no gallbladder. Had I known, I would not have had mine removed.  I was given little choice at the  time, but frankly I wish I’d stuck to my instincts and resisted surgery. Inevitably without a part of your body, it doesn’t work quite as well as it did. I really feel for you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually not ALL gallbladder issues are diet related nor is it caused by eating animal products. 

"According to research published in 2013 in Advances in Clinical Chemistry, the tendency to develop gallstones and gallbladder disease often runs in families, indicating there may be a genetic link. Also, a mutation in a gene that controls the movement of cholesterol from the liver to the bile duct may increase a person's risk of gallstones. Defects in certain proteins may increase the risk of gallbladder disease in some people." - https://www.everydayhealth.com/gallbladder/gallbladder-problems-are-you-at-risk.aspx

Best Answer
I did not have gallstones or gallbladder disease. I had polos. There is no inherited gene disease that suddenly showed up. There is an issue with fatty deposits and distribution, even when eating no fat and no carbs.
Best Answer

Yeah, since both of my parents had their gallbladders removed I'd say I have the genetic link. Theirs came out in their late 40s, so I kept mine for about 15 years longer than they did. But, hey, who's counting : )

My husband and I had our his and hers doctor appointment yesterday at the hematologist. Mine was a follow-up to see how all my levels were doing since at the time of my gallbladder issues I had critically low white blood cell counts and low red blood cell count and low a lot of other things. Still low, but not critically anymore, so the doctor said she guesses that's just where I am.

But I did bring up the weight gain and the fact I look and feel blubbery now and she said that was a good thing since older women should gain about one pound a year so they have some weight on them if they get sick later in life. She said 118 lbs. was too thin for someone my age (really?) and I shouldn't want to be that thin again, and since I can still run and exercise and I'm otherwise healthy, gaining a few pounds was fine. Yeah, except I didn't gain one pound a year. And it's also kind of a silly answer. And I don't feel good with the extra weight. I actually really like this doctor, too. She's also in her early 60s, she always wears tight dresses and high wedgie shoes and has these huge thick glasses so her eyes look like owl eyes, and she wears her hair like people did back in the 1950s. She's just so odd that she's cute. She also sits and talks to you without worrying about time and really listens. But she looks like she must weigh about 110 lbs. I felt like saying, then why aren't you putting on extra weight. Whatever. 

Best Answer
I completely understand the feeling I put on 10 lb in a year after surgery and never had a weight problem. I have used enzymes and low fat diet as well. Oxbile seems to help a little bit I have to eat 800 cal or less to move anything. Like you I kept my gallbladder to long. Another thing to look at is estrogen dominance that usually starts gallbladder issues. Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
Best Answer
You are very right. You have to replace what the gallbladder used to do so your body can break down fats. I would start with digestive enzymes that contain oxbile and see if that helps. You can also find a glandular product that will help as well. Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
Best Answer
Men have the same issues. So, I don’t believe it had anything to do with hormones. Plus, mine have checked out perfect. I believe that is fatty deposits that just don’t have any way to deposit correctly with out the gallbladder. We need “something” that will make our bodies think we still have a gallbladder.
Best Answer