Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087
Jammie jogging, I like that. Awesome that you two are getting healthier together. My hat's off to you both.

My 33 year old son passed away suddenly 3 weeks ago and I haven't been exercising or eating properly since. I am having trouble staying on track. Inspiring stories like yours help to motivate me and to remind me that I can achieve my goal.

Sent from my iPhone
Mrs Packrat
Best Answer
It's amazing to me that a little wristband that vibrates once an hour can
get me to do what virtually nothing else seemed to do: move more! Now it's
become a game, and a contest with myself.
Best Answer
I am SO sorry for your loss! I had lost over 100 lbs several years ago, and
was approaching my goal weight, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It
completely derailed me. I got back on track for a while, and then my
brother got cancer. I helped take care of him, but stopped taking care of
myself. We lost him on Christmas Day 2015. It took me an entire year to
recover from that blow enough to begin a diet and exercise program again.
This may sound a little crazy, but I find swimming laps in the pool to be
meditative, and I do a lot of praying during that time. It has helped me to
find some level of peace with my losses. I hope that you can eventually
find things that work for you in the same way.
Best Answer
True! It's like carrying a little person on your wrist encouraging you to move. Sometimes I laugh when I see, 'Take me for a walk'. And then there's the reward message when you reach the short term goals. It's like a party on your wrist. LOL
Best Answer

I guess as we get older, we have to take our party opportunities however they appear, right? LOL over 17000 steps yesterday!! Whoopee!

Best Answer
WOW! GOOD FOR YOU! GREAT STEPPIN'!
Best Answer

I am so sorry for your loss.  It will take you awhile to get back into it.  Right now just drink warm tea, golden milk(it has turmeric in it, google it for the recipe), do restorative yoga, or just do nothing.  Your body will tell you when to go back to working out.  I wish you peace.   

I have been away for quite awhile, putting 10 lbs. back on.  I am doing water aerobics and believe it or not, hula hooping at my age.  I love it.  But it is the eating that I cannot get back into counting calories or portions.  I struggle with bad snacking habits.  My husband just had to change drs. and this dr. really wants him to control his blood sugars.  So this will make it easier not to have such bad snacks around that somehow find their way into my mouth.  I really had missed this group.  

Best Answer

I am a 65 yr old women combating (and seeming successfully per Drs.) various health conditions (type 2 diabetes, high pressure, lymphedema) through diet and exercise. I find my HR charge 2,   phone app, and the web site of enormous help providing tools for record keeping, for motivation, and for inspiration, ideas and resources from the discussion boards.

I thought you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: 5 steps that helped this mom lose 171 pounds in her 60s http://a.msn.com/05/en-us/BBBKti1?ocid=se

Best Answer

Welcome back.

Best Answer
LOL what do you consider 'older'. Age is just a number. My number is 67. Although my mind thinks '30', there are many times my body says, '90' but I still keep pushing myself trying prove it wrong. Example, I did a fitbit work week challenge with a group of 30-40 year olds. I did absolutely great the 1st 3 days. Even made it to 1st place ONCE. Stayed in 2nd till I pulled a muscle. That was a number of weeks ago. LOL I am still recovering but I did it. So, welcome abroad. You will enjoy it & the great support group here.
Keep on steppin'
Gloria
Best Answer

I have had my Fitbit since December. In that time I have lost 30 pounds. MY company syncs with my Fitbit (at my agreement) to provide incentives for doing 4000 steps daily for 3 months. I hit my treadmill to get in some cardio for my steps. My weight loss has been due to a big change in my eating habits and it has been a slow process. The treadmill and getting steps has helped when I hit plateaus. I am 62.

Best Answer

Keep up the good work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ladies, I am so pumped up, yet again!  I just found this new work out, called Body Groove.  It is like a freestyle dance.  The creator is Misty Tripoli and I just love the workouts.  You can control the high/low impact.  I was doing some of the videos on YouTube, but I broke down and ordered the complete program.  I have been doing them all week, for about 30-45 minutes each day.  It burns alot of calories, depending on what you put into the workout.  The workouts are not boring and time goes by so fast.  Not at all regimented.  Try it!!!!!

Best Answer

I was looking for music to dance to around the house, and I found Pandora Road Trip. I like it better than their workout music.i danced for over an hour the first time I tried it, and burned 550 calories! Mostly 60s music, which was what I wanted!

Best Answer

Sounds like I have to check that out. Who cares how ridiculous I look dancing when I'm doing it in my own apartment? My cat won't tell.

Best Answer

I've always believed  "dance as if no one is watching" to be good advice.

Best Answer

I'm with you. Even though I love my exercise- and make sure I do something everyday- it's the eating that is challenging. Too many snacks and too much food! I always wondering how bad it would be if I didn't fitbit it. Scary.

Best Answer

Thanks.  I'll try the Pandora station.  

Best Answer

We just rescued a dog about 2 weeks ago, and now I take her for walks in the early morning, she is ready to go at 6 am.  I can only do about 1/2 mile because of my foot , but that is good as I can get in at least 1000 steps or so, depending on if Miss Bonita wants to stop and smell every blade of grass at the park.

Still doing the Groovy Dancing, and trying to watch what I eat.  I did really well logging my food intake for about 2 weeks, but now I am not logging and just forcing myself to watch my portions.  It is a beautiful day, ladies!!!!

Best Answer
Hi,
I'm 75 and have been using Fitbit for 3 years (actually on my 3rd one).
At first I set really high goals for myself. I only reached daily ones
occasionally and never lost weight. In December my doctor told me that my
glucose level was rising and I could be considered pre-diabetic. That was
a real incentive to do something. I committed to myself that I would avoid
ALL sugar and eat no bread plus walk at least 5,000 steps per day with at
least 30 active minutes 3 days per week. I have lost 14 pounds in 5
months. I had been following my plan for over a month before I began
seeing and feeling the difference. My point: the Fitbit is a good tool
but not until I developed realistic goals for myself and combine diet and
exercise did I achieve anything.
Hang in there! You can do it! You might find adding "friends" so you
have someone else in your circle really helps.
Barb (B1206)
Best Answer